Need motivation? Get "LOGANED" - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 3644 Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Awfully quiet in here this morning... Must be out shoveling.

We are getting a little dose today but only predicted to be 6-12". I hear the East coast is in for another round. Reminds me, I should go start looking for my generator plug just in case. Has to be burried in that garage somewhere.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3644 Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I jinxed myself because now is heading up this way also. Last prediction I heard for my area though is 8-12" so nothing to crazy but that can change easily.
post #2073 of 3644 Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How is that spot on your roof that leaked a while back?

It's fine at the moment. Last time it was a blocked gutter due to leaves. A couple of neighbors have had leaks though. Gutter guards seem to help a bit.

post #2074 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone peek outside yet? I can't see my neighbor across the street. The wind is causing whiteout like conditions. Not looking forward to going out into that to run the snow blower. I suspect it will all just end up right back in my face.

post #2075 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Up in PA we have at least another 6 inches and its still going strong. I have morning conference calls so I won't even attempt to shovel until the afternoon, when we are supposed to have gusts of up to 40 mph. Fun!
post #2076 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
... damned global warming!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2077 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Up in PA we have at least another 6 inches and its still going strong. I have morning conference calls so I won't even attempt to shovel until the afternoon, when we are supposed to have gusts of up to 40 mph. Fun!

We're getting those gusts right now. I suspect a lot of people will be without power by the time this is done. Brace yourself.

post #2078 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Blame Al Gore, he invented Global Warming.
post #2079 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing here yet, but were guarunteed to get the best of it during the rush hour commute.. It's sure to turn my 10 minute commute to a 45-60min long commute.
post #2080 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blame Al Gore, he invented Global Warming.

At least he invented the internet too so we have something to do while Global Warming is in effect!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #2081 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Nothing here yet, but were guarunteed to get the best of it during the rush hour commute.. It's sure to turn my 10 minute commute to a 45-60min long commute.

You're not going to get much sympathy from the DC-based area crowd just on the basis of having a 45 minute long commute. On a good day it takes me about and hour and fifteen.

post #2082 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
We made it in this morning in a total white out. Couldn't put your bright lights on, the snow would blind you. The new snow overnight filled in all the ruts and tracking slots and made a better commute. We are still in operation! The trip home should be interesting.
post #2083 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

You're not going to get much sympathy from the DC-based area crowd just on the basis of having a 45 minute long commute. On a good day it takes me about and hour and fifteen.

I'm sure I won't, but I've paid my dues... April 1st (of all days) 97, I had a much longer commute back then, sat in traffic for 3 and a half hours due to a snow storm, to boot my radio in the car was broken. I was on I-128 going stir crazy-singing/screeching out loud- and giving the crazy eyes to people sitting alongside me...
post #2084 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

You're an hour and fifteen? I do 70 miles each way and I'm able to make it most days in an hour and 10 to an hour and fifteen. If there's any rain, snow, wreck, etc, that goes right out the window!

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #2085 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure I won't, but I've paid my dues... April 1st (of all days) 97, I had a much longer commute back then, sat in traffic for 3 and a half hours due to a snow storm, to boot my radio in the car was broken. I was on I-128 going stir crazy-singing/screeching out loud- and giving the crazy eyes to people sitting alongside me...

Winter 1993. Making my way from Burlington, VT to Buffalo, NY on a business trip. Highway 90 closed down an hour west of Syracuse (the middle of nowhere) due to a freak storm. Spent two days in the lobby of a hotel because all rooms were sold out by the time I got there. Couldn't go to Buffalo, couldn't go home...just stuck. Some folks stayed on the highway and had to be rescued when they ran out of gas.

I don't miss the harsh winters, but lately, it feels like DC has been moved 300 miles to the north.

CJ

post #2086 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

We made it in this morning in a total white out. Couldn't put your bright lights on, the snow would blind you. The new snow overnight filled in all the ruts and tracking slots and made a better commute. We are still in operation! The trip home should be interesting.

You live in M'burg and commute to where?

CJ

post #2087 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Live outside M'burg. Commute to the other side of M'burg. No more city commutes for me.
post #2088 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Winter 1993. Making my way from Burlington, VT to Buffalo, NY on a business trip. Highway 90 closed down an hour west of Syracuse (the middle of nowhere) due to a freak storm. Spent two days in the lobby of a hotel because all rooms were sold out by the time I got there. Couldn't go to Buffalo, couldn't go home...just stuck. Some folks stayed on the highway and had to be rescued when they ran out of gas.

I don't miss the harsh winters, but lately, it feels like DC has been moved 300 miles to the north.

CJ

Hey. I was in Syracuse that year. 43" of snow. They had to deflate the dome and it was the first and only time they have ever canceled classes. Funny thing it wasn't the snow that caused the cancellation - the roads and sidewalks were all clear. It was the day after the end of spring break and people outside of the city couldn't return to school.

post #2089 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey. I was in Syracuse that year. 43" of snow. They had to deflate the dome and it was the first and only time they have ever canceled classes. Funny thing it wasn't the snow that caused the cancellation - the roads and sidewalks were all clear. It was the day after the end of spring break and people outside of the city couldn't return to school.

Small world. I was staying in the Holiday Inn right outside the dome in Syracuse in 1993 when the done was deflated (collapsed?). I used to try to catch a game on campus when I was in town.

Really nice place, though I didn't like the long winters. The area between Syracuse and Watertown were downright blustry. I'm convinced *that's* where winter goes during the summer. There's so darn much lake effect snow there that it's unreal.

On average, the area where I lived in Vermont used to get 186" - 210" of snow on an *average* year. In January and February, the highs routinely were no greater than -15 or -20. It used to stay like that for 4-6 weeks! Had to get out of there to stay married!

CJ

post #2090 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Live outside M'burg. Commute to the other side of M'burg. No more city commutes for me.

AHA! Congrats! I make the drive from Winchester to McLean most days.

CJ

post #2091 of 3644 Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

AHA! Congrats! I make the drive from Winchester to McLean most days.

CJ

That's a tough haul...
post #2092 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope you guys faired ok...Our forecasters were way off and we only got about 6" and it didn't start to come down pretty good until mid way thru rush hour.

The bad news is they say more will be on the way for all of us.
post #2093 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 574
OK, what is the term for when the Icicles from the roof touch the snow drift below. We have gutter covers which always result in wicked icicles.

Soft Landing?

Totally Fracked?

Icesaster?
post #2094 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, what is the term for when the Icicles from the roof touch the snow drift below. We have gutter covers which always result in wicked icicles.

Soft Landing?

Totally Fracked?

Icesaster?

WOW! I'm surprised with all the weight that it hasn't ripped them off the roof!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #2095 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope you guys faired ok...

We had the first signs of a backed up gutter this morning. i have a small water spot on the ceiling above my entrance door. Luckily i can access the roof through the second floor office window and was able to knock down all of the snow. Hopefully the snow up against the siding/flashing was the source of the leak.

post #2096 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Soft Landing?

Totally Fracked?

Icesaster?

That right there would be called "Stalactice"
post #2097 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hope you guys faired ok...Our forecasters were way off and we only got about 6" and it didn't start to come down pretty good until mid way thru rush hour.

The bad news is they say more will be on the way for all of us.

The storm missed us almost completely - we got less than an inch of snow. The forecast is clear and mild for the weekend.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #2098 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

The storm missed us almost completely - we got less than an inch of snow. The forecast is clear and mild for the weekend.

Granite State wussies! Hanover never got any snow back in the day when I lived there, either.

(wah-hoo-wah!)

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #2099 of 3644 Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Soft Landing?

Totally Fracked?

Icesaster?

How about "Biggie Kabob" when you get impaled by one of those.

Or "Notenoughinsulationorinadequateventilationorboth". AKA... not enough insulation, inadequate ventilation, or both.

I don't really think the gutter covers have anything to do with the ice. I am sure you will find those gutters full of ice. I am sure I am not saying anything you don't already know but ice dams and isicles are caused by heat escaping from the house that melts the snow, that refreezes as it travels further away from the house.

No matter how much insulation you use some heat will escape. The key is to provide adequate ventilation so that heat can't build up and melt the snow. This is can be difficult in areas like that bump out on the front of your house or where cathedral ceilings make the process difficult.

My last house had lots of ice so when we build this one, I was my own insulation contractor. I DOUBLED the number of soffit vents they suggested and the result... No ice.

If there is any non-insulated space above that bump out you could add a vent to both sides to allow cross ventilation.

As for the main roof, I don't see any roof vents from the front (as they typically hide them on the back side of the house) but possibly there are not enough.

1. Is there enough insulation up there.
2. Are there adequate roof or ridge vents.
3. Are the soffit covers perforated. Are only a portion?
4. Are there channels (typically stapled to the underside of the roof) that allow air flow from the soffits to the atic space that the insulation isn't blocking? I have seen a home where someone tried to add more insulation and actually did more harm than good by blocking the channels with blown-in insulation.
5. Are there any can lights in the top floor ceiling that add heat to the attic space that are not properly insulated? Might consider florescent lights in these fixtures that give off less heat.
6. Are there any exhaust fans that exhaust air into the attic rather than all the way outside? You wouldn't think anyone would do this but I have see this in action... Hot moist air right into the attic... oops. Also check that any joints in this duct work are tight.

Anyone considering building a home and putting a catherdral ceiling in an upstairs bedroom consider a lower slope inside that allows for insulation and ventilation. My roof is either 10/12 or 12/12 but my bedroom ceiling is only 4/12

Ice is dangerous and shortens the life of your gutters.

Long story short. Attics need to be COLD in the Winter. I can actually feel a slight breeze in mine when it is windy... which is exactly what I want.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #2100 of 3644 Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
OK, little update...(sorry I fell asleep before uploading the pics, maybe I'll get to it this weekend)...I made good use of my three days "off".....

Snow blower crappd out again, so I had to hand shovel this last 6-8" on Wednesday night. I also had to clear the deck, it was getting so tall that the dog was climbing on the piles and looking like he was wanting to jump over the railing. He also came close to getting over the fence. I had an old patio table sitting in the corner of the fence. Between the amount of snow on the ground leading to the table top and the amount of snow on top leading up the fence, the neighbor happened to catch him almost over the fence. So I had to shovel all of that out and tip the table.

BUT, yesterday, in actual daylight, I found the secret to get the blower working. As I said before, one of the nuts that attaches the carb to the frame keeps comming loose. Tighten it up and it runs fine. This time I couldn't get it tight. I was afraid it was stripped. Turns out, that ONE is an actual bolt that can turn. So fortunately the bolt head and the nut are two different sizes and I have the wrenches that fit. Tighten that puupy up and I was able to finish my sidewalk and clear out the driveway AFTER the snow plow came through.

Also we had a crew in to cut down the two fallen trees and the broken branches out of the the other trees. A West Virginia crew (see that Heynow^? No WV jokes, but today is the last day) that has done some work for us in the past, LOGANESS called them Tuesday and they came by late afternoon, gave an estimate, she told them to go ahead and they cut down the tree hanging over the neighbor's truck. Them came back Wednesdaty monring and did all the rest of the work.

SO, in between all of that, and power on and off (I LOVE my back up sump pump!). I managed to get MOST of the dricore down. I have the main theater/bar/game area done and about half of the two hallways. To complete one, I need to move the fridge, to complete the other, I need to cut almost every piece to get in and around the three closets. My back was killing me and I just couldn't muster up the strength to start having to get up and down doing all the measuring and cutting. I'm at the point where I don't think I can put down more than two full pieces at a time. So hopefully, this weekend I'll finsih up.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page