Need motivation? Get "LOGANED" - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3644 Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All these extra toilets. When we built our outhouse, I made it extra wide. That way, if we decide to expand, all I have to do is cut another hole in the seatin' area.

Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3644 Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
...and get a second Sears & Roebuck catalog. Preferably the Christmas catalog so you don't run out of toilet paper so often.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #2343 of 3644 Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope. Red and white corn cobs.

Randy

post #2344 of 3644 Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's your ass, not mine!

Tom Logan

post #2345 of 3644 Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Is the wall area above the shower enclosure going to be tiled? Just wondering because it looks like there is a sort of "shelf" area up there where moisture can collect. I guess tile isn't really necessary as long as the enclosure is well sealed against the wall. Hopefully the "shelf" is sloped into the shower so water doesn't sit or drain towards the wall. Just thought I would point that out. Nice sanding job. Drywall sanding sucks.
post #2346 of 3644 Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Will miracles never cease?!

You da MAN, Tom!!

Hanesian: Apparently, you've exceeded your bandwidth on Photobucket.

All of your photos have been replaced with this:

Follow my build here:
post #2347 of 3644 Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the wall area above the shower enclosure going to be tiled?

No, I don't plan to tile there. There is a little "shelf," but it would be there even if tiled. There really shouldn't BE any water up there. Maybe some splashes, but if water is collecting up there, something is REALLY REALLY wrong.

So my plan is to caulk it up. I hadn't really checked to see if it's sloped back in. I'll check it out next time I'm down there.

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

Nice sanding job. Drywall sanding sucks.

Thanks again. I actually realized that using a sanding pole got me MUCH better results MUCH faster than using a hand sander. As you can tell from the pics, I had to use a really heavy first coat and some LARGE corner beads to clean up the mess I made of hanging the drywall. I was too embarrassed to have the pros touch it and it probably would have cost some bucks!

Anyway, I started out hand-sanding and for the second coat I picked up one of the cheap pole sander attachments (the $7.00 one at HD) just to keep the dust off my head. I realized very quickly that there is a touch to keeping the pad flat with the pole and that it actually takes much less pressure than I was using by hand. I quickly started using it on the walls as well. The pole I grabbed (I don't think LOGANESS has missed it yet) was metal and in three sections, so as I worked down the wall in to areas where the pole was too long, I just removed a section or two. Ended up working out great. And fast. Second coat and final sanding went really easy.

I really thought hanging would be the easy the part, but for me, finishing was much easier. I don't know what it is is, but I just could not measure and cut drywall.

Tom Logan

post #2348 of 3644 Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Hanesian: Apparently, you've exceeded your bandwidth on Photobucket.

All of your photos have been replaced with this:

I know CJ. If people would just have the decency to not look at any of my photos, maybe I wouldn't be in this predicament! Damned bandwidth limitations! It's not like I post a lot of photos or anything ... Plus, I thought the interweb was some sort of super highway or a bunch of tubes or something. Who is this bandwidth fellow, and why is he clogging up my interweb tubes?

I'm almost at my monthly reset with photobucket, so it should clear itself up very soon. I just cringe at the principle of paying to upgrade to a pro account ... that's all I need: unlimited bandwidth! As if I don't waste enough time on this as it is.

post #2349 of 3644 Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

I'm almost at my monthly reset with photobucket, so it should clear itself up very soon. I just cringe at the principle of paying to upgrade to a pro account ... that's all I need: unlimited bandwidth! As if I don't waste enough time on this as it is.

Oh Man!!! Everyone has to go to his thread and post pictures on his tread to rub it in... He can't get you baaaaaack... na, na, na, na, bo, bo.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #2350 of 3644 Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick update - No pics unless you want to see old gray concrete vs new gray hardibacker.

Saturday - Bought everything I need to tile the bathroom floor and hauled it into basement. (Then had to haul my outdoor portable set up up the block for the neighborhood picnic/movie night).

Sunday - Put down the 1/2" Hardibacker. I think that once I put down the Ditra, it will raise the floor nicely. Drew more blood laying that Hardibacker than I have for the entire project so far. MAN those trowels have sharp edges.

Tom Logan

post #2351 of 3644 Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Thinset and Blood, the ultimate bonding agent.

PROJECTS:

post #2352 of 3644 Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Big -

Are you peeking inside my basement windows again?

Tom Logan

post #2353 of 3644 Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
That's just nasty. Post crime clean-up? Actually, skip that. I don't want to know.

Michael

post #2354 of 3644 Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bathroom floor tiled!!!!

I spent Saturday cutting and dry fitting all the tile. OK,OK I got a late start and had guests coming for a double feature on the deck (The Men Who Stare At Goats and Hot Tub Time Machine). It took me an hour to get the miter on the wet saw right to cut the corners. I needed 30 tiles to lay out this pattern and that's EXACTLY what I bought (2 boxes of 15). Thought I screwed up one of them trying to set the miter. but I was able to cut it down and reuse elsewhere in the pattern.

Starting laying tile on Sunday only to discover that in spite of all the math I'd done, after I layed the Ditra, it STILL wasn't level with the top of the Dricore. I had cut all of the tile as if it was going to be level. I had to lay it inside the cut out Dricore. Which just meant that I had to trim all of the cut pieces. I could have saved myself half a day. I was trying to NOT set the wet saw again, so I tried trimming a piece with a tile cutter and ended up shattering it into about 10 pieces. SO I set up the wet saw AGAIN, worked unit l I need that last piece and made run to HD.

Anyway, it turned out pretty well, especially as this is was my first attempt at laying tile. Once I set the first grout line, I was pretty much able to eyeball the rest of them and just drop the spacers in to keep things from moving around after I'd set them.

Tom Logan

post #2355 of 3644 Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks good Tom.

One question though, those gaps on the sides look really large. How are you going to cover them up?

CJ

Follow my build here:
post #2356 of 3644 Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's exactly why I was trying to get the Ditra up to that level. I think that if I had used the Ditra-XL (which is thicker, it might have worked, but HD doesn't stock it and I didn't realize it was an issue until it was too late).

They're about an inch. I'm hoping that with a baseboard, quarter round, and little bead of caulk it will do it. I may have to end up ripping something a little wider to get it to work. I'll think of something. I have lots of time, as you know.

Problem is I don't know when I'll get around to grouting....a couple of busy weekends coming up.

And I did order wallpaper, so this bathroom finish is moving along.

Tom Logan

post #2357 of 3644 Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's quite the space to cover up. You MAY be able to cover it up with baseboard and quarter round, but it looks too wide.

If it were me, I'd measure really precicely and see if baseboard and quarter round will cover the gap. If not, find a way to cut the dricore really close to the wall, and then cut times to fit in the holes.

If its worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Follow my build here:
post #2358 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I measured last night, and it IS just an inch. I pulled up all the little spacers, walked around on it and it feels pretty good. No obvious height differences, no noticeable changes at the diamond corners. Overall, I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out.

And get this....
There was ONE tile in one of the boxes that had a small surface crack in it. I set that one aside to use as the final piece because I knew I would be able to cut out the area with the crack. I went down there this morning to let the dog out and I found it sitting right where I put it so I would remember where it was. Turns out I DIDN'T have to make the run to HD for ONE tile after all.

OOOooo...and my wallpaper showed up at the door yesterday! I had been looking online and even online didn't really see what I wanted. Last Thursday LOGANESS and I went to Lowes and started going through the books. Found something I liked, ordered it Thursday night, they shipped it to the house and it showed up yesterday. Basically, 4 days (since it was very late Thursday night that we ordered it).

SO, not much left to do, only....
Grout
Trim
Finish plumbing
install fixtures
decide on a shower door (which looks like THAT may be the single most expensive item in the bathroom)
install shower door
oh, and I guess I'll have to put a door in.

Tom Logan

post #2359 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

SO, not much left to do, only....
Grout
Trim
Finish plumbing
install fixtures
decide on a shower door (which looks like THAT may be the single most expensive item in the bathroom)
install shower door

Oh, and don't forget about that whole HT dealie as well (didn't see it on your list)
Bathroom's looking good!

Floyd

post #2360 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Logan,

The tile looks great, especially w/detail of the small diamonds at the corners. How's your knees...

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #2361 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the nice words, guys.

Quote:

Oh, and don't forget about that whole HT dealie as well (didn't see it on your list)

That list was just to finish the bathroom. I guess finishing the theater is down on that list somewhere.

Quote:

How's your knees...

I wasn't going to mention so I didn't sound like a crybaby. But....now that YOU mention it.....

I think I'm finally recovered. MAN, if any of you have any plans whatsoever to use Ditra, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD KNEE PADS. I have a pretty good pair and even then once or twice as I was laying everything out I didn't have them on and thought, oh, it'll just be a minute I'll be down. It doesn't take much for the Ditra to kill your knees. Even the dog didn't want to walk on it. And just overall, the up and down, bending, etc. By the time I got done my entire legs were killing me. I've been going to the chiropractor (hey, he's Titleist Certified) and went Saturday morning before starting and Monday evening. I was so sore Sunday, that I layed down on the couch to watch the Deadskins and at half time I was TRYING to get up to walk the dog. By the time I got up, managed to get my shoes on, hobbled over to the garage to get the leash, halftime was over. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), we took a short walk.

So later Sunday night, I'm sitting on the couch. Somewhere along the way, the dog gets up there with me and lays down (he must have been tried out from "helping" me all day). I start nodding off, and little by the little the dog is now taking up 2/3s of the couch. I'm still sore and want to stretch out so I get on the floor. About 10 seconds after I get on the floor, I say to LOGANESS, "What's wrong with this picture?" She's looking at the TV and says, "Nothing. What do you mean? It looks fine to me." So I have to spell it out..."I'M on the floor and the DOG is on couch!"

Tom Logan

post #2362 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
what's up with the area that doesn't have the small diamonds inlay-ed? Is that where a vanity will cover the floor? Either way, good job man. The hard part is done, grouting is pretty simple, just a short time more on your knees.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #2363 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Shower curtains are cheaper, easier to install, and easier to clean. And, you can change them to different colors/patterns when the mood hits.

Just my opinion...

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

post #2364 of 3644 Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that where a vanity will cover the floor?

Exactly. You can see the drain for the commode, so that one would be covered. The vanity is 18" deep. The tiles are 12" and the cut tiles are just about 6 inches. The edge of the vanity would be covering most of the diamond, so I thought it would be better to just leave it out. I think the only problem would be if in the future someone wants to put in a pedestal sink. But that's their problem because it won't be me replacing that vanity anytime soon!

Quote:

Shower curtains are cheaper, easier to install, and easier to clean. And, you can change them to different colors/patterns when the mood hits.

Honestly, that's still percolating around the deep recess of my brain (and believe me, you DON'T want to go there). Right now I'm leaning towards glass.

Tom Logan

post #2365 of 3644 Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Honestly, that's still percolating around the deep recess of my brain (and believe me, you DON'T want to go there).

While I am naturally curious, this time I'll take your advice and not go there...

LL

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

post #2366 of 3644 Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll take your advice and not go there...

On behalf of myself and all my other deep recess brain dwellers, we thank you.

Tom Logan

post #2367 of 3644 Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

My grandmothers house was just like that....She only lived on the first floor, just like you Tom.

P.S. Got those sump pumps tuned up? Rain, she is a comin'!

Randy

post #2368 of 3644 Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HEY! The light's on up there, there's just nobody home.

I've seen that forecast. Plan to check them out as soon as I get home.

Tom Logan

post #2369 of 3644 Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOTS 'o rain last night and looks like all day today. So far, sump pump working fine.

Tom Logan

post #2370 of 3644 Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think its funny you asked the Loganess about the picture and she responded regarding the TV (you have her trained well) and the thought that you were on the floor never crossed her mind as odd or out of place. Hmmm....should tell you something shouldn't it? Pets are some of the funnest housemates one could have (oh, ok throw kids in there too) with the funny things they do. My "little" Bella is now about 3 1/2 - 4 months old and her personality is really coming out. It is really amazing how pets weasel into your heart/life with all that they bring.

Tile looks really really nice. Love the diamond accents, that is a nice touch. I think I have been up the stairs to nowhere, they do look pretty familiar to me. Kind of like living on a one way dead end street, but you get used to it.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page