Need motivation? Get "LOGANED" - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3644 Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can always tell when Bryan is about to drop a good one on his victims, he becomes calm and straight faced and B A M....
Mike has the earring in the left ear right?

Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3644 Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Holmes commonly has his kids working on the show. Son often says stupid stuff - lacks experience.

Holmes is one of the few shows I watch, so much crap that passes for entertainment.

I've learned a bunch from watching that show. I wish they'd focus more on the LV work.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #2523 of 3644 Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Right, in the left ear. Is that the "right" ear?

DANG, now I'm confused. But not in "THAT" way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now Holmes has his son AND daughter on the show. Pretty funny watching the son chase the daughter around with a spider. LOGANESS says, "Oh, they're siblings, alright!"

Put a coat of the gray paint over the mud&tape for the inset shelf behind the bar, around the one window and the proscenium. Now the ENTIRE room is gray. Not musch of a pictures, but if you all insist, I guess I can take one tonight.

Also started to make the frames to surround the outlets for attaching fabric. I thought 5/4 stock was actually 1". I was going to make two and attach them on top of each other to get the 2" depth that goes around the stage but the 5/4 stock I bought (5/4 finger jointed & primed) is actually 5/4. Go figure. Would have been easier to just rip a 2X4 down to 2".

SO, can I use this 5/4 stock to make the rest of the frames for the 1" linacoustic, which is really 15/16s or should I rip down to match exactly?

What say you?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #2524 of 3644 Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Growing up we used to say, left is right, right is wrong...

I am going to use 1/2" ply 15/32, and use 2 layers, so I will be at 15/16 which looked find on the rear screen wall.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #2525 of 3644 Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post
Mike has the earring in the left ear right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
Right, in the left ear. Is that the "right" ear?

DANG, now I'm confused. But not in "THAT" way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post
Growing up we used to say, left is right, right is wrong...

Judas H. Priest ... knock off all dat goily chatter about earings already, wud yas ladies!? My stomach is still recovering from New Years eve!

Sheesh-us!

post #2526 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shamless bump to see if anyone has additional advice from question buried in post above...

Quote:

Also started to make the frames to surround the outlets for attaching fabric. I thought 5/4 stock was actually 1". I was going to make two and attach them on top of each other to get the 2" depth that goes around the stage but the 5/4 stock I bought (5/4 finger jointed & primed) is actually 5/4. Go figure. Would have been easier to just rip a 2X4 down to 2".

SO, can I use this 5/4 stock to make the rest of the frames for the 1" linacoustic, which is really 15/16s or should I rip down to match exactly?

Anyone else?

Tom Logan

post #2527 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Tom, if I'm understanding your question correctly, the 5/4" stock you have is 1.25" thick, which you are planning on using for framing around linacoustic, which is 15/16" thick.

If that's the case, then your linacoustic would be under the thickness of the stock by about 0.25". I personally wouldn't have an issue with that as you wouldn't need to worry about the linacoustic possibly "bulging out" your fabric.

Although there may be some downside to that .25" gap, I can't think of one.

Floyd

post #2528 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
4/4 stock is 1".....but a 1x is not.

Sure, you can use wood that is 1.25" deep to cover something that is 15/16" thick. Am I missing something?

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT

post #2529 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although there may be some downside to that .25" gap, I can't think of one.

THERE'S the crux of the question. Is there a downside to that 1/4" gap?

Tom Logan

post #2530 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The frames I made for my linacoustic panels are made from ripped 1x material. I would normally get 1X10 stock and rip it down to as many pieces that I can get out of it. The 1x side is nicely flush with linacoustic and the fabric has no issues holding in place.

post #2531 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the downside is that you will lose 1/4" from the inside of your room.

post #2532 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, here's a possible downside that I just thought of. With tightly stretched fabric covering a gap of 1.25" (with 15/16" of that being linacoustic) to the hard wall, if someone pushes their finger or other object into the fabric to the wall surface, MAYBE the fabric will stretch enough to hold the indent and subsequently look bad until when and if it stretches back out. If the gap were say an inch instead, the linacoustic would re-expand pushing the fabric back out??????

Hard to say for sure unless someone has same set-up and tested.

Floyd

post #2533 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the downside is that you will lose 1/4" from the inside of your room.

Yeah, actually 1/2"...TWO sides to the room! At this point I just want to get done. What's a 1/2" here or there?

Quote:

MAYBE the fabric will stretch enough to hold the indent and subsequently look bad until when and if it stretches back out.

THERE are the kinds of things I'm looking for. THANKS! Anything else anyone can think of?

Tom Logan

post #2534 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Small animals and ghosts may be able to nest in that 1/4" space.

post #2535 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That 1/4" may be enough to set up a resonance with the subwoofer and cause them to vibrate like a drum head at certain frequencies. Probably more of a visual distraction than an audio one.
post #2536 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmmmm....what if the linacoustic was pushed forward to he fabric side and the 1/4" was in the back (the wall side)? Seems like that would fix it.

Am I in an analysis paralysis, here?

Tom Logan

post #2537 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

place a 1/4" board behind the lincoustic.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #2538 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You could probably add 1/4 inch batting material to either the front or backside. Shouldn't have any acoustic affect either way.

Problem with pushing the linacoustic to the front of the frame with nothing else is that there is nothing to keep there. It become a problem if someone presses into any of it.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...uestid=6824728

post #2539 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmmmm....what if the linacoustic was pushed forward to he fabric side and the 1/4" was in the back (the wall side)? Seems like that would fix it.

Am I in an analysis paralysis, here?

I believe you would see some incremental increase in absorption due to the air gap behind the linacoustic. To what degree, and whether you will benefit from it is beyond me.

Floyd

post #2540 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It won't matter at all. If you have no gap, you'll see the lincoustic pushing slightly into the fabric, so you need some gap. .25" seems like a perfect gap. The fabric won't move much with bass since it should go right through it (it IS AT, right?). If you are vibrating all of your panels, your head is probably vibrating too and your vision will be blurry. You won't be able to watch the panels and the movie at the same time. If you can make dents in your fabric, you'll dent your lincoustic too, so it won't bounce back anyway.

Maybe if you think about it for a few more weeks you will come to a greater understanding of the gap and its ability to trap spirits.

post #2541 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

its ability to trap spirits.

Might be a nice side benefit....
We HAVE had two occasions of the stereo turning on by itself and one of a full jug of laundry detergent flying off the middle of a shelf while nothing else around it was disturbed and no one was in the room....we just heard the crash. And Monday morning the dog was sniffing, snuffling and barking at SOMETHING around the front door and entryway. And every once in awhile in the morning I notice my computer screen is on when it should be asleep, like when you bump the mouse or hit a key and it wakes up.

Tom Logan

post #2542 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Now you know how your basement REALLY was flooded.

post #2543 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you build your theater over an old graveyard?

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #2544 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Might be a nice side benefit....
We HAVE had two occasions of the stereo turning on by itself and one of a full jug of laundry detergent flying off the middle of a shelf while nothing else around it was disturbed and no one was in the room....we just heard the crash. And Monday morning the dog was sniffing, snuffling and barking at SOMETHING around the front door and entryway. And every once in awhile in the morning I notice my computer screen is on when it should be asleep, like when you bump the mouse or hit a key and it wakes up.

Happy new year to you and your spirits, Tom!

post #2545 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you build your theater over an old graveyard?

Not knowingly, but there WAS a lot of Civil War activity around the area and the 150th anniversary is coming up fast. Not that I was THERE or anything. Maybe Big was, though.

Hanes--- my spirits and I thank you.

Tom Logan

post #2546 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Not knowingly, but there WAS a lot of Civil War activity around the area and the 150th anniversary is coming up fast. Not that I was THERE or anything. Maybe Big was, though.
Smart move - biting the hand that helps you

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #2547 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I threw the softball up there figuring there would be 20 jokes about my build starting back then.....so it was a pre-emptive strike.

Tom Logan

post #2548 of 3644 Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I lost my bat.....

Randy

post #2549 of 3644 Old 01-06-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like personal problem....they have a pill for that, you know.

Tom Logan

post #2550 of 3644 Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

If you cut them in half they last three times longer.

Randy

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page