Need motivation? Get "LOGANED" - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The linacoustic on the screen wall looks excellent.

I hate to be the first to call you out, but you should have taken pictures of the blood. I don't want to hear that you can't work on the theater because of your new injury.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 (Currently on Pause)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks, CJ! I had come across it online and it was in the mix, but not #1 until I saw it in person. And to the plus side, LOGANESS LOVES it.

Haven't ordered yet. Guy I work with (my buddy Mike from previous pictures on the proscenium build) used to install carpet and he was talking about doing the install for free. I wanted to get him to measure for me (although I have a pretty good idea of what I need).

After talking to him this morning, and the price they gave me for install, he thinks it may be just as well to have them install it as the only tool he DOESN'T have is the power stretcher and I'd have to rent that, so the savings will not be that great. If I let the store install, then I get all their guarantees.

So I need to get some work done pretty quickly. They said two weeks for delivery and they can hold it, but I'm thinking once I pull the trigger, I'm not gonna want it just sitting around.

I actually think I'm at the "buy the projector and mount" stage. I want to figure out how and where to mount it and THEN paint the ceiling flat black, rather than trying to go back and get the flat black to match up.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #2613 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The linacoustic on the screen wall looks excellent.

I hate to be the first to call you out, but you should have taken pictures of the blood. I don't want to hear that you can't work on the theater because of your new injury.
I appreciate the thought but, do I know you? Are you one of the many little girly looky-loos who think they can sit idly by on the sidelines in their little pleated skirts to cheer on the big boys and NOT get drawn to the world of LOGAN? Have you read the ENTIRE thread? Are you building? Because I can bring an end to that right now, Buster.

Sheesh. I put a little work in and all the scaredy cats starts crawling out of the woodwork. Come on. You know where to find me. At least the rest of the guys on the list had the guts to step up. What about you, huh, punk? Come on, I'm waiting for you.

Step up; be a man! I don't care what you do and don't want to hear or see until you do. OOO, I'm just ITCHIN' to do some LOGANING!

Tom Logan

post #2614 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
I actually think I'm at the "buy the projector and mount" stage. I want to figure out how and where to mount it and THEN paint the ceiling flat black, rather than trying to go back and get the flat black to match up.
Have you figured out how large your screen will be? Have you done the math for your chosen projector over at ProjectorCentral? Both of those items will help you zero in on where the projector should be mounted. I would get the ceiling painted well before the carpet comes in. I'd also try to get as much done in the room before the carpet arrives. You can always order the projector and mount for a quick delivery (UPS took 3 days to get both to me).

I'm not really digging at you here, but I'd strongly recommend that you get mostly done before you buy the projector. You can use your existing outdoor setup to complete your similations of screen size, height, and distance measurements. Given the speed at which you have been progressing, I'd strongly recommend buying the projector and screen last (well after the wall treatments are up, the screen wall built, the trim in, and everything else. You don't want to be lapped technologically in the late spring of [insert year here] when the new projectors hit the streets and you're left with an old model new in box.

That's just my $.02.

Follow my build here:
post #2615 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Fortunately the door to the upstairs was open. LOGANESS heard the first F-bomb two stories up and came down to the kitchen and stood at the open door. She said she didn't hear anything when she got there. Two seconds later she heard the next stream of profanity. Then a kind of mumbled something. Then another string of profanity. Then a kind of mumbling. Then a string of profanity. Keep in mind, she's still at the top of the stairs. Kind of like the people who keep filming rather than help their buddy in hopes of winning $10,000 on Amercia's Funniest Home Video.

She figures at least I'm alive and calls down but I can't hear anything for the string of profanity. It turns out, in my abject agony, I was pacing the floor and she could only hear clearly when I got to the part of the room nearest the stairs (Thanks Ted! GG Works great!). So she finally comes down to find out what's going on.
Tedd should use this as a quote on his site for how well Green Glue works.

Glad you are not in too much pain, and can continue.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #2616 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you figured out how large your screen will be? Have you done the math for your chosen projector over at ProjectorCentral? Both of those items will help you zero in on where the projector should be mounted. I would get the ceiling painted well before the carpet comes in. I'd also try to get as much done in the room before the carpet arrives.
I'm really looking at the Panny 4000 (free bulb right now and apparently there is no update imminent) and ran the numbers prior to drywall so I knew where to leave wires in the ceiling. What I'm thinking is that I want to go ahead and cut the ceiling to pull the wires, install the boxes I need and get the mount up there before I paint....which would be before the carpet. I can then figure out the screen size from where the projector is mounted.

I guess the question is how universal are the universal mounts? Have they improved? I seem to recall that they are not as universal as you would think. Is it safe to order a mount and THEN the projector?

Tom Logan

post #2617 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I guess the question is how universal are the universal mounts? Have they improved? I seem to recall that they are not as universal as you would think. Is it safe to order a mount and THEN the projector?
Kinda depends.

The fastest answer to that is to go and read any of the Epson threads. The Epson is using a wide pattern mount that requires a custom plate or extension arms.

I understand no issue with the Panny or Mitsu though as most "universal" mounts will fit fine.
post #2618 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tom:

That makes total sense. The bulb alone retails for $400. With the 2 yr or 2000 hour extended warranty, that's a pretty good deal.

Have you run the numbers to ensure that you have the appropriate distance and FL of illumination for your chosen mounting point? Will the location enable you to have the appropriate sized image?

I used purchased my setup from the ProjectorPeople I think they are a sponsor here. I used the Chief RPAU Universal Projector Ceiling Mount with my Panny 4000. It was a bit more expensive than some of the others, but it is very adjustable and rock steady...it has worked very well. I also ordered the Cheif CMS018 down tube 18" length, and the Chief CMA101 Ceiling Plate. I ended up using the Chief CMA110 Ceiling Plate 8" x 8" - 1 1/2" NPT Fitting to mount the projector to the ceiling. I wanted a wider connection to the ceiling so I used the larger mounting plate. Also, the 18" down pipe that I ordered was too long, so I went to HD and found a piece of NPT pipe that was the right length. I painted it up with the RL Suede paint and it looks really good.

All told, I waited too long to return these parts, so I have spares. I have the Chief CMA101 Ceiling Plate and the Chief CMS018 fixed down tube spares. If anyone is interested, let me know and we'll see if we can come to a price :-)

Follow my build here:
post #2619 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Had to refresh several times to be sure I was in the right spot! The actual progress pics threw me for a loop! Get the rug ordered! Getting a carpet install date nailed down will certainly light a fire!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.

post #2620 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll have to take another measurement, but I'm pretty sure I'll be right at the outside edge of the green bar. I'm looking at probably 14- 14.5' from the screen, eyes should be right around 12'. The mounting point will determine the screen size.

JeffC - yeah, I saw what it did for you!

Tom Logan

post #2621 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to take another measurement, but I'm pretty sure I'll be right at the outside edge of the green bar. I'm looking at probably 14- 14.5' from the screen, eyes should be right around 12'. The mounting point will determine the screen size.

The number of FL is the key. Anything less than 12 is a no-go for a totally light controlled room. The range that I have heard is 12 - 24 FL for a bright picture. I will tell you that this makes a HUGE difference. I recently visited Jeff's room, and his picture is substantially brighter than mine. I think he said he was pushing more than 30 FL. I am pushing 12 and some change.

Follow my build here:
post #2622 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I am semi-out-of-touch (stupid other projects), but my general sense is the chief mounts have the reputation of costing more and being worth it.

Dave

|
|
|
post #2623 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Buy, mount, and hang the projector stage? Are you frikkin' kidding me. YOU of all people should know this kills progress, like you need anything to slow you down MORE. Sheesh man get a grip will you? Even in dimension X this makes no sense at all. Wow. What in the sam hill is going on around here. Turmoil in the Middle East, earth quakes in New Zealand, progress in Logans thread, what next, the apocalypse?

Stay tuned it is getting exciting around here.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #2624 of 3644 Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I recently visited Jeff's room, and his picture is substantially brighter than mine. I think he said he was pushing more than 30 FL. I am pushing 12 and some change.

Keep in mind that 30 figure came from one of those on-line throw distance calculators which uses manufacturers specs not the actual out of the box calibrated result.

PROJECTS:

post #2625 of 3644 Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Buy, mount, and hang the projector stage? Are you frikkin' kidding me. YOU of all people should know this kills progress, like you need anything to slow you down MORE. ... RTROSE

Not sure the rule applies in Logan's case. Maybe actually seeing an image on a screen will boot him into action.
post #2626 of 3644 Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took a quick a measurement when I got home last night. Eyes should be right around 12' and the lens will be right around 13.5'. Even using the calculator with manufacturer specs (as Big points out) FL should be right in the ballpark.

OK, you see in Dimension X, the 65" Mits in the living room (and the deck theater) passes for the big screen experience so, in this case, hanging the projector doesn't cause any additional impediment to progress.

In fact, it will speed up progress. I need to cut holes and get the mount situated before painting the ceiling flat black. Additionally, since I am space constrained, the placement of the projector will determine the final screen size. Which allows the building of the screen and screen wall.

Dimension X, once you fully comprehend it, is your friend.

Tom Logan

post #2627 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, I too had to make sure I was on the right thread. Looks like there may be another NoVA gathering this year!

Nice work Tom!

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #2628 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

Pulled the trigger on the Panny 4000 and the Chief Universal Mount. Should arrive today! Got in on the extra bulb and extra year warranty deal. Anyone on the fence, it's only good for purchase through March 31st.

So this weekend I'll be working on the mounting location and pulling cable through ceiling. I hope to God I left it the correct joist space. And IF the Government shuts down next week, I may have more time than I bargained for to work on the theater!

Shameless plug for the Projector People. I was trying to buy online. Website says free shipping for projectors over $499. As I was checking out, I kept getting a shipping charge. So I called. Spoke with Ryan. First thing he says is, "hmmm...did you order anything else?" And I smack my forehead on the desk....the shipping was for the mount! I say, "Ok, I'm an idiot." He says, "that's OK, I'll take the shipping off anyway." Also website says orders in by 3:00PM EST ship same day. I called about 3:45PM EST and he still got it out same day. And this was Wednesday; it should arrive today (Friday). Can't beat that! I highly recommend Projector People.

Tom Logan

post #2629 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Congrats Tom, Good luck with the install.

post #2630 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JUST got word from LOGANESS that the Panny and mount arrived while she was home for lunch!

Tom Logan

post #2631 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Ahhh nice, good luck with the install!

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #2632 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Keep in mind that 30 figure came from one of those on-line throw distance calculators which uses manufacturers specs not the actual out of the box calibrated result.

Yes, but I can testify that it is a really bright picture. That's the first thing that I noticed.

Also, you got that thing calibrated?

Follow my build here:
post #2633 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Wow, I too had to make sure I was on the right thread. Looks like there may be another NoVA gathering this year!

I am sure there will be another NoVA gathering this year. The only question is whether Tom will be hosting. :-)

Follow my build here:
post #2634 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a similar experience with ProjectorPeople. They were great to deal with!

Follow my build here:
post #2635 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sure there will be another NoVA gathering this year. The only question is whether Tom will be hosting. :-)

HEY! I heard that!

Tom Logan

post #2636 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HEY! I heard that!

Well, at least we know he's not deaf.

Follow my build here:
post #2637 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Also, you got that thing calibrated?

Actually my unit was checked by a calibrator. My actual unit is the demo from Mark Haflich which was measured here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16324507

PROJECTS:

post #2638 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Awesome news. Glad to hear that Projector People are good to work with. I had planned on using them when I order my projector.

Good luck with the install.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #2639 of 3644 Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can't go wrong with Projector People!.....To 4000 or wait, ....you and CJ keep me wanting to upgrade....

Randy

post #2640 of 3644 Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Can't go wrong with Projector People!.....To 4000 or wait, ....you and CJ keep me wanting to upgrade....

LOL. I'm waiting for the bank account to fill up again. I'd like to upgrade to a brighter projecter and go the lens route, but I'm going to hold off for a year or two, I think.

Follow my build here:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page