Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 802 Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1/10/2009

Today I focused on a mysterious drain pipe located in my office. Last month I looked at it and poured some water down it and it did not seem to go anywhere, so I spazzed a little about it

I removed the cover and looked down and saw water down there..

I tried to remove some of the water with strips of an old towel... BIG MISTAKE. Good lord it stunk up the whole basement, so I ran and grabbed some bleach, poured some down. After a few minutes, I was able to pull out stench free water and took an hour to get it all.

Initially I thought maybe the builder pulled some shady work and just buried the pipe, then after talking with my neighbor Mark, we realized it was a "P Trap" and to prove it, we poured a gallon of water down there and it did in fact drain.

So 24 hours of stressing for nothing... but I do still in fact despise the builder and the ****** who placed a drain at the HIGHEST POINT in the whole basement. Insert Napoleon Dynamite soundbite "IDIOTS!!"

I am such a NOOB at A/V..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 802 Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

1/11/2009

Today was one of those days that you do a TON of work, but at the end of the day you wonder what the heck did you actually accomplish!

Started off the day by having another carpet contractor come and give me an estimate. He asked I REMOVE the trim on the stairwell in order to not show staples... I agree, but pissed me off because I spent a ton of time. I figure I will paint up a few more pieces of trim and cut new ones as I pull the old ones off.

Next I spent an hour or so cleaning all of the basement and vacuuming both rooms and getting the theater cleared out for riser fabrication.

I then made a run to Lowes and found the perfect low profile in-pipe insert for the drain problem from yesterday.

My neighbor Mark helped me carry down some chairs and we spent an hour moving them around and the riser seems to have to be like 5 feed wide, and tends to push the front row up a little farther than I would like. I am trying to find out: Can you LIMIT the travel on Berkline power recliners? If so, it would allow me to reduce the size of the riser.

I remembered seeing a riser calculator stickied to the forum, so I ran that and came up with the following height requirement for the riser.. 14" seems a little high to me, but the dang chairs are alot bigger in the space than I originally thought.

I THINK if I place the chairs just a little off center, it keeps one side clean and easy to travel.

I attempted to mock up something quick in paint after Mark and I discussed the many options..

I will do a much better drawing after I obsess about it some more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 802 Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Staffy, the riser calculator showed that I needed a 14" rise, but I went with a 12", and there are zero issues with the height.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods

post #454 of 802 Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Staffy, I made some progress and per your extreme demands I have posted some photos.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15535056#post15535056

post #455 of 802 Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM

did you order all your chairs already ?

post #456 of 802 Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus6d9 View Post

did you order all your chairs already ?

I already bought 4 Berkline 45187's for like 1200$ used.

post #457 of 802 Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Staffy, got any recommendations for doing corners, I started putting up my tread today and my corners are horrible. I am going to be relying on my wood putty to fill the gaps and some sanding and painting to make them look nice. My seams seem OK, it is just the corners that are giving me a tough time. I mean the only thing that I can think of is that possibly my walls dont meet at a 90 and thats throwing things off, but I have no clue. thanks!

post #458 of 802 Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

I already bought 4 Berkline 45187's for like 1200$ used.

Wow. Where did you find those?

post #459 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I am noticing 5'5" is the spacing between rows. Have you put the chairs that close together and tried them out? I have the same chairs and I know this is going to be tight. I would go one step further and prop the second chair up 12" or so and measure the "foot-in-my-ear" ratio. Be sure to include the variable "average sock changes per week" and divide by the annual use of antifungal cream (aka the "toe fungus factor").

I have a 7' deep riser which is a bit overkill. Here is a pic of Biggie's and his is 6'8". Note, however, he has a lower riser than you are considering and the taller riser will better line up the hallux and the external acoustic meatus.

You may be able to get down to 6'ish but 5'5"??? Now you don't watch movies fully reclined but I would at least suggest a dry run before you build that riser with those chairs.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #460 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Staffy, got any recommendations for doing corners, I started putting up my tread today and my corners are horrible. I am going to be relying on my wood putty to fill the gaps and some sanding and painting to make them look nice. My seams seem OK, it is just the corners that are giving me a tough time. I mean the only thing that I can think of is that possibly my walls dont meet at a 90 and thats throwing things off, but I have no clue. thanks!

Yes, take scrap and test this... but on the corners you need to put your miter saw about 1/2 a degree off. This is due to the dywall mud buildup. Hardly any of my corners were a perfect 90.

Painters caulk will fill in the rest. Don't use putty, because then you have to prime, then paint. Use the caulk, then paint.

post #461 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

You may be able to get down to 6'ish but 5'5"??? Now you don't watch movies fully reclined but I would at least suggest a dry run before you build that riser with those chairs.

Sorry, I didn't post my final riser dimensions... it will be 8 ft x 6 ft, 14" high. Will upload CAD drawings tonight.

post #462 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I have a bit to learn...I did a little research about making corners with trim and found that I was going about it all wrong. It appears my 45 and 45 do not make for 90 degrees. good job by me...apparently I need a copping saw and a lot to learn as I Have no idea how to do this...
http://www.rd.com/17803/article17803-3.html

Way to go with your documenting. and you were telling me to post pictures. what a joke.

My corners look aweful like this:

and I had to fill the gap like so

I guess you live and learn. I know now I have to get a coping saw because the appears to be the way to go. Luckily the two front corners will be hidden by speakers and so will the back corner. While it will look good for now, I assume as soon as the weather changes, my filler with crack and gap, but until then, I hope I can sand it nicely and paint it, and keep things nicely hidden...Arg! I blame you, it is all your fault for your crappy documentation of the entire process.

Due to my steel studs and screws, i will not be going back to remove and fix what is done. Maybe I should have started in a room other than the theater, but it is too late for that now, plus that was where my longest walls were, so I wanted to do them before cutting apart all my trim.

post #463 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 AM

I always found the key was to start with a couple of scraps of trim and practice the corners before I cut the real ones.
post #464 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 AM

Well at least you're using paint-grade trim. I was horrible on my first trim attempts, and foolish. I tried a stain-grade crown over the kitchen cabinets. Ugh.

One thing that can hide the mitering mistakes is white calking. It's quick and easy to make it look good. Also, to fill nail holes, I usually use bondo. It doesn't shrink, and you can sand it in like 15mins.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods

post #465 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Holy gaps... JK. inside corners are really tough when your trying to make them meet with a mitired cut on each side. Like the illustration you provided a coping saw is the best way. While your cutting it you'll say to yourself that this is never gonna meet up right, but once you put it down it will look right.

You basically put the first piece of trim down with it just being cut to length on a 90 degree angle. The next piece of trim you cut on a 45 and then you cut it out the profile as shown on your link.

As Staffy suggested you might be better off with caulk as it will expand and contract better, though that is a decent sized gap to fill with caulk. Maybe scrape out some wood fill then top it off with caulk.

post #466 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoc View Post

Well at least you're using paint-grade trim. I was horrible on my first trim attempts, and foolish. I tried a stain-grade crown over the kitchen cabinets. Ugh.

One thing that can hide the mitering mistakes is white calking. It's quick and easy to make it look good. Also, to fill nail holes, I usually use bondo. It doesn't shrink, and you can sand it in like 15mins.

Try using Dap Glaze for nail holes. It works great, easy to apply, and paints over very well.
post #467 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

I guess I have a bit to learn...I did a little research about making corners with trim and found that I was going about it all wrong. It appears my 45 and 45 do not make for 90 degrees. good job by me...apparently I need a copping saw and a lot to learn as I Have no idea how to do this...
http://www.rd.com/17803/article17803-3.html

Way to go with your documenting. and you were telling me to post pictures. what a joke.

I guess you live and learn. I know now I have to get a coping saw because the appears to be the way to go. Luckily the two front corners will be hidden by speakers and so will the back corner. While it will look good for now, I assume as soon as the weather changes, my filler with crack and gap, but until then, I hope I can sand it nicely and paint it, and keep things nicely hidden...Arg! I blame you, it is all your fault for your crappy documentation of the entire process.

Due to my steel studs and screws, i will not be going back to remove and fix what is done. Maybe I should have started in a room other than the theater, but it is too late for that now, plus that was where my longest walls were, so I wanted to do them before cutting apart all my trim.

Oh that is some ********! You shouldn't have nailed a darn thing until you made sure it fit well. Screw the coping saw, I used a miter saw and it turned out just fine. WTF good is a coping saw if you have a 1/4 inch gap man? Besides if you need to take the back edge off to fix an angle, a belt sander is alot faster.

If I were you, I would do it again. This time fit it multiple times if necessary. I would also check the accuracy of your miter saw... if the gauge is off, you need to use an angle tool to set your blade up.

I fail to see how my documentation led to this...?

post #468 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

what did you attach that trim with, deck screws?!?
post #469 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

1/14/2009

So tonight Mark helped me move around the chairs a little bit, remeasure the riser and run the riser calc tool again.

At the end of the night, we settles on the following riser height specs:

Based on the riser height, we had to relook at the walking isles and to accomodate for safe dark walking as my wife is a clutz. Mark and I agree we would both be in the front row, she would have to watch from the back row

Based on the placement and height, we wanted the most flexible option, which led us to basically a 2 box design, where a smaller box was stacked on a larger base box which would house all of the electrical and audio cables. The design also allows us to shift the top/smaller box if necessary to change the placement of the chairs without any construction.

post #470 of 802 Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am glad Im not the only one up on AVS at these insane hours......looking good partner.

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #471 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Staffy;15568708Mark and I agree we would both be in the front row, she would have to watch from the back row [/QUOTE]

So does this mean you and Mark are cuddlers? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #472 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

So does this mean you and Mark are cuddlers? Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Eeeuuwww!!! Just the mere thought of that kind of gives the build thread title of "Not Hers" an entirely different meaning, and not in a good way.

Calls to mind the great scene from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" when Steve Martin tells John Candy, "Those aren't pillows!!!"

post #473 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Staffy,

If you are going to give out crap advise and poor photographic documentation so it leads us unsuspecting DIYers to disasters then I am just going to have to stop reading your thread and taking your advise. You disappoint me Staffy.

Oh and I think you are getting a little too close to Mark you might want to be careful I think there is a relationship budding.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #474 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mark get off your butt and get over here and help me unload the truck, stop surfing AVS.. look out your damn window.... I see you, it is -5 degrees and I am unloading 2x6's ALL by myself

Shopping list
For top - 5 sheets of plywood 3/4"

For bottom - 3 sheets of plywood 1/4"

post #475 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
-5?? Thats all??? Its -14 with a windchill of -30 here in Northern Indiana....you are in golfin weather man!! Mark aint on AVS hes on the "other" sites Hard (no pun intended)to get good help these days

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #476 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

There is something about when you breath through your nose and your nostrils freeze thats pretty interesting to me. It takes some cold weather that doesnt come often. Even Northern Ohio was lower than -5, Staffy ought to quit complaining about the cold and start worrying more about his poor photo documentation.

post #477 of 802 Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Long time since I've read this thread.. what progress. Lookin great in the homestretch. Gotta get my guy on the ball with a build since I did the research and tryiing to learn from this thread.

Gotta say, I love the digs at STaffy, especially Hanesian. You made my night!Long time listener, first time caller here, responding to your request for feedback on door finish.

You're beginning to sound like the wife! Next you'll be asking if this blouse or that matches your heels better or if your pants make your butt look big!! All this time and effort put in, you are finally finished (key word there being 'finished'), and now you start having second thoughts about the finish?! The Loganator would be soooo proud of you!

Dude, the minute you finished that fourth (excuse me, fourth plus!!) coat of paint that ship had sailed and ain't coming back! Suck it up, take an extra dose of your OCD meds and get on with it or you'll miss your pedicure appointment.

Oh, and while I'm at it, Staffy, next time don't waste your time with any colors that have made-up girly-man names. No good can come from that. Seriously. Dude. Totally.

Thanks for taking my call. I love your show.
post #478 of 802 Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Would you Sallys please stop whining about the weather and get back to work? Besides, what's all this talk about wind chill of minus a gazillion?? Don't you people remember anything from your grade school math? Here's a little refresher for you old farts (present company excluded).

If you multiply a negative number by another negative number you get a positive number! It's a mathematical fact. For all I know it might even be that Pythagorian Theorum deal those math teachers were always droning on and on about while we were trying to catch up on our sleep. Or not. Whatever.

My point is that proves that this wind chill thing is just a hoax that is really part of the whole global warming cover up to throw us all off our game and cause us to not notice it's actually getting hotter every day! Otherwise, why aren't there any icebergs visible from my living room window anymore? I'll tell ya why - because they've melted!

I rest my case!!

What were we talking about again?

post #479 of 802 Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Poor Staffy.

His wife harasses him.
His thread posters harass him.
Even his HT harasses him.

John
post #480 of 802 Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Poor Staffy.

His wife harasses him.
His thread posters harass him.
Even his HT harasses him.

One should not feel sorry for those that bring it one themselves. Besides I would imagine that Staffy can handle it just as well as he dishes it. THAT is just the kind of MAN Staffy is.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page