The "NOT HERS" HT/Basement Build - The Suffering Begins - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 802 Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I hear ya, brother. Take it from me: you do NOT want her to start shopping at Sam's Club either. Talk about buying in bulk ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3/2/2009

All Nighter!! (Not the good kind)

Today after working late at the office, I still had to prep for the painters that were going to be there in the morning.

After sweeping and cleaning up, I had to get started on mounting all of the can lights so I would not jack up the nicely painted ceilings when trying to do it later.

The tools I used were a 90 degree drill, 2 bits, an adjustable square, drafting compass, and a nut driver.

After thinking for a while about the best way to drill new holes in the cans to lower them down, I started with the adjustable square and drew a disecting line up 3" through the existing adjustable hole slot.

I then used a drafting compass to draw an intersecting line about 3" up. I had determined this by experimenting with another light can. (Crappy pic)

I then drilled the holes and screwed them in. This worked sweet and I was on my way to finishing in an hour or so when I hit a snag... I dropped my drill bit. OMG I was pissed, I looked for it for at least 30 minutes. I then swept the area again looking for the bit. After another 10 minutes of swearing and checking my socks, pants, under the riser lip... I spotted it. Damn thing fell in the drill case in the tiny slot that holds the manual. I mean seriously, what are the odds?

I finally finished 12 of them, and was off to bed around 4 AM. &$#&&

Before:

After:

I am such a NOOB at A/V..
The "Not Hers" Build
post #543 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I hate to say it, but I am confused as to what you did...you lowered the lights inside of the can? What did this gain you?
post #544 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/3/2009

8 AM -- Painters arrive!

I was working from home today as I had a ton of work to catchup on, so I let the painters do their magic. At the end of the day, they got everything completed and I was extremely pleased!

Office area:

Rear of theater:

Front of theater:

That big mofo in the picture is ME, Smakovits... you better be looking out over your shoulder at work....

Just kidding, that is my painter pal, Steve. He trains for mixed martial arts, and is almost too wide to paint my hallways..

So I am stuck doing piddly lil junk until carpet gets installed in a week. So I will take pics and probably not post unless someone pisses me off... at home or here on the forum

Oh!
TIP FOR PREPAIRING TO PAINT TRIM - After you attach/nail all of your trim and get ready for your final layer of paint. Instead of using wood putty, use recently dried chunks of drywall mud.. let it dry in the mudpan and smack it on the ground to pop it out. Then break off a chunk and rub it in the nail holes and it fills it right up and you are able to paint right over it minutes later after you wipe off the extra and verify it is flush!!

Saved me hours of work..

The "Not Hers" Build
post #545 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

I hate to say it, but I am confused as to what you did...you lowered the lights inside of the can? What did this gain you?

Well without it, the can light is 2 inches above the drywall and looks funny. I am not sure how evereyone else does it, but I attached the lights to the ceiling joists, but then later decided to do hat channel, so this way I did not have try and mount them lower. Since they free float other than 3 scres holding the center to the ring, I just slid them down and remounted them and will silicone between the drywall and the can.

Make sense?

The "Not Hers" Build
post #546 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

So I am stuck doing piddly lil junk until carpet gets installed in a week. So I will take pics and probably not post unless someone pisses me off... at home or here on the forum

You rang???

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #547 of 802 Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hahah what's up pimp. Too tired to whoop on your butt tonight, go change two crappy diapers and call me in the morning.

The "Not Hers" Build
post #548 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahah what's up pimp. Too tired to whoop on your butt tonight.

I don't doubt it.

Quote:

Just kidding, that is my painter pal, Steve. He trains for mixed martial arts, and is almost too wide to paint my hallways..

With your little Man Crush there you have to be exhausted.

post #549 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Keep it up ballgag... I even posted something nice on your thread, and you wanna start in on me again?

When your kid is 2, I am going to send you a carload of the noisiest, most annoying toys that China makes... you will only have yourself to blame.

The "Not Hers" Build
post #550 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Keep it up ballgag... I even posted something nice on your thread, and you wanna start in on me again?

When your kid is 2, I am going to send you a carload of the noisiest, most annoying toys that China makes... you will only have yourself to blame.

God I am pleased that the great humor is back to this thread......you guys crack me up. But honetsly I would rethink the harassment as Staffy's painter friend is a Big Ol' Son of a B^#@&!!!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #551 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/5/2009

Captain Halfass forgot the garbage again...

On this eve before garbage pickup, after reminding my son 3 times to take ALL of the garbage out of the house... At 1 AM, I notice the upstairs garbage cans were full still.

SOB... you would think he would learn...

I am kinda bored of having him beating garbage cans like a drum walking down the street, I figured there must be some sentimental attachment to the garbage that he just cannot part with them..

I figured I might as well cut the kid a break and reunite him with the objects of refuse... So I tied up all the garbage bags and tucked them in with him...

Problem solved... for this week

The "Not Hers" Build
post #552 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/6/2009

Sconces installed!!

Installed a few sconces I got off craigslist for 50$ for the lot.

The "Not Hers" Build
post #553 of 802 Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well without it, the can light is 2 inches above the drywall and looks funny. I am not sure how evereyone else does it, but I attached the lights to the ceiling joists, but then later decided to do hat channel, so this way I did not have try and mount them lower. Since they free float other than 3 scres holding the center to the ring, I just slid them down and remounted them and will silicone between the drywall and the can.

Make sense?

perfect sense, I forgot you did the hat channel, so now I knwo why you had to lower them...
post #554 of 802 Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

3/5/2009

Captain Halfass forgot the garbage again...

On this eve before garbage pickup, after reminding my son 3 times to take ALL of the garbage out of the house... At 1 AM, I notice the upstairs garbage cans were full still.

SOB... you would think he would learn...

I am kinda bored of having him beating garbage cans like a drum walking down the street, I figured there must be some sentimental attachment to the garbage that he just cannot part with them..

I figured I might as well cut the kid a break and reunite him with the objects of refuse... So I tied up all the garbage bags and tucked them in with him...

Problem solved... for this week

Please tell me there are pictures....and you will post them for our enjoyment.

BTW I have threatened my 13 yr old with the trashcan trick (forgot the garbage once) and has not forgotten again. I figured if the punishment is good enough for Staffy's kid it is good enough for mine!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #555 of 802 Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 AM

My wife called the other day laughing about using a modified THE FIX on our two middle girls, 8 and 9, who wont stop fighting...

In the background I can hear them screaming "I love my sister, we work together, picking up poop" My wife had them walking up and down the street picking up dog poop and screaming while my two other kids supevised.

So... It works for girls too, and you can use it as a threat. "Do you remember the poop?"

Thanks for the advise, love the garbage inthe bed! This coming Thursday should be interesting.
post #556 of 802 Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Hey Staffy,

Thanks for the post you left me the other day about illuminated shelves. I have been looking at your pics of the cabinet you built with the single LED lights in the middle. Man, that is EXACTLY what I'm after. When you get some time, give me all the details about how you did it. What thickness of glass did you use, how is the LED light wired and, did you actually use the hot glue to stick the bulb to the glass?

Everything looks really good in your room, so keep the pics coming. I'm using you and your posts as a reference now because I'm at the beginning stages of building mine. First thing on my list is this equipment rack with the lighted shelves. By the way, I was thinking of experimenting with cold cathode tubes...did you try those before the LEDs?

One last thought here. It looks like your cabinet is closed. If so, did you consider that you may need some venting in there to remove some of the heat generated from the gear.

Thanks man, keep up the good posts/pics and I hope to hear from you soon about the cabinet details.

Czav
post #557 of 802 Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:

2/17/2009

My son thinks I am an idiot...

In my prework running around and picking up kids, etc. I stopped to grab a quick cup of coffee. My son started drooling on himself and his eyes lit up..

"What is up?" I asked.

"Buffalo Wild Wings...mmmm" He kinda of hinted at in a food addicted trance.

"Today is tuesday you know..." He loves to point out the obvious.

"I know dude, today is tuesday. Tuesday is 50% off wing day. I am not dumb, I know exactly what you are thinking about!" I say, trying to show him I know the 411.

"NO! NO! NO!, you are almost right dad.. That is on thursday. Today is tuesday, so however many wings you buy, they GIVE YOU THE SAME AMOUNT FOR FREE!!!" He halfway yelled with some sort of jacked up tone of expertise..

At this point I started to look at him like he was retarded....but to my astonishment, the lil wanker was giving me the SAME LOOK!

I fought back a grin, and asked him to clarify.

Again he repeats the same damn sentence, but this time, he used HAND GESTURES. Then to further shock me he said, "DAD, seriously, I would expect this from Mom, but you are supposed to be a genius, how hard is it to understand?"

OMG!!! %*^% it took every ounce of composure to not laugh so much I wet myself. I just played along with it and said, "I apologize, I misunderstood".

I then ran inside and had a laugh with the Starbuck girls as I told them the story. One of the ladies said "I am sure things will change when he starts High School.." trying to make excuses for him.

"Start High School? Hell, he is a SENIOR!!" Hahah lil mis positive was left speechless.. I grabbed my coffee and said "I win" as I walked out the door

Tonight, I took a short break to run over the conversation again in front of the wife, his stance had not changed and I told the wife not to argue with him. I still cry/laugh about it.

I laughed my a$$ off after reading that!!! I swear we share the same son!

Here is a good one for you. A couple weeks ago my son asked if I could pick up his girlfriend and bring her to his wrestling match. I told him to leave me directions to her house and I would do it. Well I come home and on the kitchen counter was 2 pages worth of directions to her house. I only had to drive on three streets to get there. Our street, the main street and her street! He explained in detail the 4 stoplights I would go past(he spelled it "pass" 4 different times). He listed every street that didnt have lights that I would go past (spelled pass again) plus the golf course and the school! I wish I would have saved it because I would type it all out for you. So it ends up she only lives a mile away!!!!! I could tell someone how to get to her house from our house in 1 sentence. His directions had me scratching my head. Its really hard to believe he is going off to college in the fall!

Just think, they will be taking care of us when were old!

And by the way I like how the theater is coming along!
post #558 of 802 Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

Here is another son story that just happened.

Monday afternoon my son is gathering up the trash and taking it out to the curb. You would think this was pretty good, right? Well Today(Tuesday) he comes home from school and ask me why they didnt pick up the trash. Well, I had to tell him that they pick up trash on Wednesday morning the same as they have done the last 12 years! I guess he never noticed that we were the only house that had our trash out. God help us!!!
post #559 of 802 Old 03-10-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/7/2009

Tonight I unpacked all of the prushed metal accessories I purchased over the last month and started installing the door hardware and a bumper stop.

Next I put all of the pocket door hardware on and put on/adjusted the guides.

My neighbor Mark then came over and helped me mount the front speakers so the days of slaving away without tunes blaring is over!

The "Not Hers" Build
post #560 of 802 Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/9/2009

I rented a floor scrubber from Lowes and scrubbed all of the concrete floors a few times over the last 24 hours. My wife even pitched in and vacuumed the office area before I scrubbed it. She kinda got a lil pissed when I yelled over the scrubber: "That is a vacuum, it sucks up dust and dirt, would you like me to show you how to turn it on?"

As soon as I got "the look" from her, I turned around and scrubbed the theater to stay out of reach

Then I installed the access panel in the ceiling of the office, I did not want to drill any holes in it, so I used silicone around the edge, then clamped it into place. I figured this would hold it fine as the top section of my riser had silicone on it, and I could not seperate it when I wanted to change it per Ted White's advice and ended up having to use a saw blade and cut around the whole thing... so it should have no issue holding a small hatch in place.

The "Not Hers" Build
post #561 of 802 Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/10/2009

Tonight I caulk sealed around the 13 recessed can lights in the basement.

Next I installed the 2 quiet air grills for the vents.

Still waiting for the carpet folks to call and tell me the carpet is in, until then, just nonstop tedious boring crap!

The "Not Hers" Build
post #562 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Staffy,
Looking good, I love this thread. I was following it around Christmas, then lost it, I found it again, you crack me up. It will be nice to see the finished (or as finished as most HT's are) product.

Keep it up.

Later
post #563 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Next I put all of the pocket door hardware on and put on/adjusted the guides.

That there is one fine looking door.

post #564 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Response I posted on your thread HERE

I SWEAR I WILL PISS IN YOUR CAPTAIN AND COKE... MY DOORS ROCK HARD LIKE YOUR SISTER'S DATE'S VAN ON PROM NIGHT.

BEEEEOTCH!

(Your speakers suck)

The "Not Hers" Build
post #565 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(Your speakers suck)

Mine??? Yours look like they came out of the van in the pic you just posted... What are you using for surrounds... Bose cubes???

And what is with this double posting? Now I have to insult you two different threads Xerox style??? Now we know where your kid gets his wits from. That whole fruit and tree thing is making a little more sense.

post #566 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's it, I am sending my kid over to kick your ass..

The "Not Hers" Build
post #567 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

lol

post #568 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You know, all this fighting kinda sucks without other folks refereeing and keeping score.

On a positive note, your riser looks sweet, I will give you that

The "Not Hers" Build
post #569 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, all this fighting kinda sucks without other folks refereeing and keeping score.

Don't sweat it... Not much fun for a score keeper in a blow out.

Quote:

On a positive note, your riser looks sweet, I will give you that

Ya your... ummm. ummm. No I mean your... ummm... ummm... escape hatch thingy in the ceiling there looks... um.... cool.. too.

post #570 of 802 Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You bitch. Drink some more so you can get your west side tatoo finished..

The "Not Hers" Build
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page