The "NOT HERS" HT/Basement Build - The Suffering Begins - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 802 Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
someone call his house

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 802 Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Did anyone local to Staffy check the obits?
post #633 of 802 Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talyn21 View Post

I am thinking he finally pushed the wife too far and he is buried in the woods somewhere.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099188/

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 802 Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Staffy,

Just finished reading your entire thread. I had to laugh out loud about your conversation (blow by blow) about the 1st movie selection. If it's an consolation, I cannot even remember mine (probably since my kids picked it as well).

Your room is coming along quite well. Can't want to see the final product.

I did have a quick question for you (and please excuse me if I missed an answer already about this). Back at the beginning of your thread, you used some LEDs to light your DVD rack. This was a nice touch. Are the LEDs directly behind the glass shelves which allows the light to shine all the way through?

Steve

-->

-->
post #635 of 802 Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM

too bad for staffy ill send flowers i wonder if his wife would let me take his dvd rack

post #636 of 802 Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Staffy,

Just finished reading your entire thread. I had to laugh out loud about your conversation (blow by blow) about the 1st movie selection. If it's an consolation, I cannot even remember mine (probably since my kids picked it as well).

Your room is coming along quite well. Can't want to see the final product.

I did have a quick question for you (and please excuse me if I missed an answer already about this). Back at the beginning of your thread, you used some LEDs to light your DVD rack. This was a nice touch. Are the LEDs directly behind the glass shelves which allows the light to shine all the way through?

Correct, they are behind the glass shelves embedded right in the groove for the glass. This lights them up nicely, there was no room behind the wall for proper diffusion or the entire groove would have been cutout to light the glass evenly.

Sincerely,

I am such a NOOB at A/V..

post #637 of 802 Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Out of nowhere he returns, with a random answer

post #638 of 802 Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Out of nowhere he returns, with a random answer

...or did "he"?

post #639 of 802 Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

Correct, they are behind the glass shelves embedded right in the groove for the glass. This lights them up nicely, there was no room behind the wall for proper diffusion or the entire groove would have been cutout to light the glass evenly.

Sincerely,

Not a typical "Staffy" answer. This is definitely an impostor (a very poor one at that) I believe the local authorities need to be notified as his account has been hacked and his life savings already been spent. Or he has be possessed by some alien race and is tying to insert them selves into the human race.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #640 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Random question for the BluRay gurus... if you could spend 300$ and get a Samsung BD-P2550 (open box) plus a 2 year store warranty... or you could get a 2 month old used BD-P2550 with a 4 year warranty (Same big store as above) off of Craigslist... which route would you take?

post #641 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Random question for the BluRay gurus... if you could spend 300$ and get a Samsung BD-P2550 (open box) plus a 2 year store warranty... or you could get a 2 month old used BD-P2550 with a 4 year warranty (Same big store as above) off of Craigslist... which route would you take?

You disappear forever basically and when you return all you have is a question on what to do about a Blu-ray player? What the %$#@??????

You OWE all of us at least a good explanation of where you've been or at least a witty retort of some sort. Oh and LOTS of pictures!!

To answer your question I would go with the longer warranty without a doubt.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #642 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks man, kid took my camera, so I had to write up an explanation and start filling in the gaps to share with everyone the highs and lows from the last month.

I have never bought electronics off craigslist, so I was not 100% sure how the warranty stuff works... I assume it is transferrable.

The one off craigslist looks like it is new out of the box, the one I bought was a demo unit, so thinking about trading it in after I make a call to verify it is indeed transferrable..

post #643 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man, kid took my camera, so I had to write up an explanation and start filling in the gaps to share with everyone the highs and lows from the last month.

I have never bought electronics off craigslist, so I was not 100% sure how the warranty stuff works... I assume it is transferrable.

The one off craigslist looks like it is new out of the box, the one I bought was a demo unit, so thinking about trading it in after I make a call to verify it is indeed transferrable..

Yup, I would just double check that the warranty is transferable, if it is your golden if not I would go the box store route.

Gald your back and looking for an explanation on your exploits while you have been away.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #644 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I dont believe his son took his camera, what would a kid that cant take out the trash do with a digital camera?

post #645 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

7/6/2009

I AM BAAAAACK!!!!

Okay, it seems ppl are curious as to where I have been... before I detail out my lame life activity, I will dispell a few myths..
-- I was not in rehab.
-- I was not in intensive care due to a wife attack.
-- I was not hunting down RPHDrew... I cannot comment if that is an ongoing investigation.
-- I did not win the lotto.

There, with that out of the way, before I attempt to rehash some of the good and bad junk and get back into being motivated to finish this man-cave, I will outline some of what has been going on.

-- April: My last build post was on my birthday, realized I had actually gained weight instead of losing it with all of the constuction sweat, I took a month off and lost 32 lbs. (Operation Fatass was a success)
-- May: Hectic work month, prepping home for graduation party for the slim chance the brat actually graduates.
-- June: Graduation party and a cross country road trip to drop him off at a youth corp program (ADIOS!!). Came home to find a theater disaster and a war began... Fired lawn service people and decided to take on landscaping myself.
-- July: Researching products, ignoring the theater, and Independence Day celebrations! Oh and vehicle di$aster$...

So with all of that being said, I blame both AVS and my neighbor Mark for not doing their job and motivating me to complete the theater project. I will try to fill in the blanks over the next few days when I have time as work is still pretty hectic..

-Jay

post #646 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Now, THAT is the Staffy that no-one loves or missed.

Welcome back!

Without you, we had to list to RPh Drew...it was horrible.

John
post #647 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

3/31/2009

Pocket Door Fix

Today I had adjusted all of the pocket doors up nice and snug, then realized that when a certain someone who didn't give a crap shut the door hard, it would not do nice things to my precious doors with the beautiful 7 coats of paint..

So I settled on a quick cheap fix and used clear drawer pads and attached them to the edge of the doors..

When the doors close, there is only a slight gap seen if you look hard enough. If I want to make the gap even tighter, I can shave them down with a razor blade.

post #648 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Now, THAT is the Staffy that no-one loves or missed.

Welcome back!

Without you, we had to list to RPh Drew...it was horrible.

I agree with you, Drew is an assclown.... I apologize for the absence sir. Thanks for the motivation John!

post #649 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4/1/2009

April Fools!!!

I didn't do much but attach all of the newly cut trim along the stairwell since the old stuff got torn out to help out the carpet guy.

LOOK SMAKOVITS, NO 5" SCREWS, COPING SAW, OR 5LB BUCKET OF WOOD PUTTY NEEDED!!

post #650 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

5/30/2009

Hidden DVD Storage Final Assembly 1 of 3

So since my kid was about to graduate, he started getting a little bolder and wanted his camera back, I was going to buy him a brand new one for graduation, but he kept going into the theater and taking the old one back, so I yanked out the SD card and just let him keep it and will buy my own. (His loss)

For this reason, the next few updates are going to be light on picture documentation, but should not be too big of a deal since most of it has been covered before and I am at the bored/tedious phase that is the most challenging for me.

My neighbor Mark came over and helped me assemble the hidden DVD storage unit and test it out. We wanted to get at least one finished to show off to family flying in for the June graduation party.

I chose the first movie poster I uncorked, Iron Man.

post #651 of 802 Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

6/6/2009

Wife pushes buttons and kid barely graduates...I survived.. *exhale*

I will save you all from the numerous graduation pics, but I will tell you a little story about my experience in prepping for the graduation party and why once again I believe that my wife is absolutely crazy for "poking the bear with the stick.."

Family has been flying in from all over the country to see my kid graduate and the party is at my house... I let the kid choose whatever kind of party he wanted and you know what his only stipulation was???
"I don't care, as long as we can go to an all-you-can-eat buffet.."
(Seriously, WTH???)

So I say "Done" and figure the rest is going to happen at the house so I get the theater somewhat ready to show off, I start to get my lawn in order, and I looked out in the back yard and noticed some bare spots on my cedar deck and convinced myself it would be an easy project...

"Bah, just a wood deck to stain, how hard can it be?"

4 #$%^&*!!@ days folks... 4 days. Why? Because I have OCD.

Day 1: I break out my pressure washer and spend all day trying to get of all the old stain. Slight muscle cramping began, but I figured I could work through it.

Day 2: Sunk all nails and replaced about 200 of them with desk screws. Bought 3 gallons of stain and was about to start slapping it on when I noticed the wood was "cupping" or was slightly warping up at the edges which would have the potential for holding water.

So I ran down to HD and rented a deck sander... 4 hours later, the deck was smooth and my back was killing me. Pressure washed it again to get all of the sanded wood off. It was then near dark when I noticed slight patches of old stain still around and I went to bed annoyed and huddled with a heat pack.

Day 3: I was first in line at the local paint shop and they set me up with a stain stripping solution and a neutralizing solution. Stuff was expensive, so I called my painter to ask to use his discount. He agreed, then told me to make sure and get the oil based stain.... crap. I told him I already bought the latex stuff I used before, and he told me it was junk and to only use the oil based.

@#$%^& money down the drain, but I did what he said. (I see later he was correct BTW)

I run back home and work ontil dark, scrubbing the stain off, neutralizing the solution, then a final pressure washing at 9:30 PM. I am sure some of the neighbors were pissed, but whatever.

Day 4: I get up early and try to beat the incoming forecasted rain storm and 6 hours later of rushing like mad, hunched over the deck, I finally get a few minutes of help from my kid, so I hobble inside to rehydrate... then the ULTIMATE test of composure occurred.

I was standing at the kitchen window chugging water and trying to wash stain off my face when out of no where, I hear my wife come... look out the window... then exhale... not exactly the sound I want to hear right now, but I bit..

"What?" I ask..
She says "Nothing..."
So I ask again.. "What was the exhale for?"

Then she blurts out... "I know you are trying to save money and all... but I really wish we could get a paver patio like the neighbors have.."
(Keep in mind a nice Cedar deck costs the same as if not more than a paver patio!)

So then I instinctively increased my level of volume and possibly pitch and said.. "WHAT?!"

She tried to recover nicely by saying, "Oh don't get me wrong, what you did 'Will Do For Now', but just so you know I would rather have a paver patio sometime in the future.."

...O...M....G.... I almost blacked out with this rush of rage filling my head... I am lucky I was drinking out of a plastic cup, because I would have shattered a glass cup for sure. I am pretty sure she won the round because I had absolutely no reply other than "ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH THIS CRAP?? NOW IS NOT THE TIME... Definalty not the right time at all!"

I spent the rest of the day pissy and cramped up, but fury fueled the rest of that project

So there you go, another shining example of why I think I am married to a Peg Bundy she-devil. I guess her timing was right for her, but if she had pulled that junk on day 3, I would broken out the sawzall!

post #652 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

7/6/2009

I AM BAAAAACK!!!!

So with all of that being said, I blame both AVS and my neighbor Mark for not doing their job and motivating me to complete the theater project. I will try to fill in the blanks over the next few days when I have time as work is still pretty hectic..

-Jay

Now Staffy, let me say this just once, and nicely, you know that is
ABSOLUTE HORSE POO!!!
Now tell all the nice people how many times I've ragged on your a$$ to finish this project!!!
post #653 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm fake name, foul language, 1 post... you should be banned. How do I know this is not an imposter?

Test: What is your favorite color?

post #654 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Hmm fake name, foul language, 1 post... you should be banned. How do I know this is not an imposter?

Test: What is your favorite color?

Favorite color? How about your wife's email address with a link to this thread????

To quote you, "Do not test me.", and... "I think I've made my point."

Still not sure?

So tell them, how many times did I hound you?
post #655 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor Mark View Post

Favorite color? How about your wife's email address with a link to this thread????

Them are fighting words...

Welcome back Staffy.

Joe V
Time > Money

post #656 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM

hahahhaha this is great

post #657 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor Mark View Post

To quote you, "Do not test me.", and... "I think I've made my point."

Still not sure?

So tell them, how many times did I hound you?

Okay, it is you Mark... you win.

But you failed to tell everyone that at 10 PM last night, you destroyed my favorite garbage disposal unit with a broom handle... it had sentimental value, and thanks to you, today I have to again dig into my theater budget to fix something else.

Okay I admit at least 2x you called and woke me up from a sleep asking if I was going to work on the theater.... but I think we all are asking YOU... why not a 3rd call, Mark? Why not take the extra step... why just wear the minimum 15 peices of flair? Why did I just do doughnuts in my truck on ALL of your yard instead of just the front? Because I lead by example..

See you when you get home and yet another battle begins...

post #658 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM

I love this build thread so much, it's hysterical.
post #659 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Okay, it is you Mark... you win.

But you failed to tell everyone that at 10 PM last night, you destroyed my favorite garbage disposal unit with a broom handle... it had sentimental value, and thanks to you, today I have to again dig into my theater budget to fix something else.

Okay I admit at least 2x you called and woke me up from a sleep asking if I was going to work on the theater.... but I think we all are asking YOU... why not a 3rd call, Mark? Why not take the extra step... why just wear the minimum 15 peices of flair? Why did I just do doughnuts in my truck on ALL of your yard instead of just the front? Because I lead by example..

See you when you get home and yet another battle begins...

Staffy, "I" didn't destroy anything, it was dead when I arrived. Like I said then, it was probably your son... or the neighbor kid

You know that I have bugged you way more than 2x, heck, I pestered you nearly half a dozen times just to get the video storage units completed before the family arrived, but YOU took on the "Captain Half Ass" role and stopped at just one. Pitty, Mom would have been so impressed....

"I" have taken the extra step many times over. I can honestly say that I've tried to get you off your not-so-fat-anymore-ass close to a dozen times. Perhaps with Jr. gone, you are inhaling whatever was making him forget things (garbage, etc.) and you should have the house checked for gas leaks, or maybe radon?

I'm sure my lawn is fine. That was just another hollow threat (oops, did I really say that out loud? I probably should retract that comment). But if you did, I just may have video of you in action. All I need to do is show it to my wife - that would be bad. So maybe you should finish up all the posting here ASAP, because it could be a long time before you are able to post again - we'll see when I get home....

Now, play nice, or I'll have to share more quotes
post #660 of 802 Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Staffy has a mascot!

Welcome to the forum, Neighbor Mark.

John
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List