The "NOT HERS" HT/Basement Build - The Suffering Begins - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 802 Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ahhhh, the Prodigal Son makes his triumphant return!!!!! Welcome back my friend! Glad to see you weren't stuffed into some dumpster somewhere.

Glad to know you were not a total slacker! Now get back to updating.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 802 Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
10/1/2009

Staffy -1, Dennis the Menace -0... Ain't War a Bitch?

This summer I took a break from the theater and started multiple wars. The first war was with my lawn. I found out my lawncare company was BS'ing me in telling me I had a fungus causing weird grass to grow all over. I cut out samples, drove all over the place to experts, and finally found out I had wild bentgrass...similar to what you see on a golfcourse. After a month of trying to cut out the bad spots, I later realized I would have to suffer through it and just kill off the lawn and start over next year.

While I was slaving away out in the sun, the neighborhood rugrat was talking my ear off. He lives right behind me, so I have seen him grow from a hyper little infant to the neighborhood menace over the last 5 years. If you see a bike thrown in the pond...it was him. If you find a dented garage door... it was him. Yard tore up because some kid wants to play baseball with his friends... it was him.

So this little toe-head was chatting away trying to show off to a neighbor girl. He started bragging about some of his latest achievements. I told him he had better not get caught or his dad, a police officer, would probably tan his behind.

This lil bugger puffed out his chest, grinned, looked me right in the eye and said, "I am not scared, I can do whatever I want!"

Ohhh wow.. I don't know why this lit me up so much, but man I got pissed... "You do that buddy, let's see how that works out for ya..." I got an evil smile as an idea popped into my head...

I was about to head out of town for two weeks on business... so I went out at dusk, grabbed my jug of Round Up and proceeded to spray a design in my yard that directly faced his yard.

I kind of forgot about it until after I got back from my trip, was mowing my crappy yard and what I saw next brought a smile to my face...

Evidently for the past week, my yard had been the talk of the neighborhood. That day, someone finally said something to the parents and my phone started ringing.

Dennis the Menace's mom called and started apologizing right and left, I played dumb and went out to look at the "damage". I ended the call with "Kids will be kids I guess...".

Later the father stopped me to apologize and I could not hold a straight face any longer, so I busted out laughing as I told him what I did and why I did it. He laughed and said the lil bugger deserved it and he would smooth this all over with the mom.

Haven't seen the lil troublemaker in 4 months, he steers clear of my yard

STAFFY FOR THE WIN!!!!

I am such a NOOB at A/V..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #783 of 802 Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You truly are a devious man, Staffy...good thing you let the kid off the hook...he probably already took a severe beating from his dad, whilst you were putting singles in g-strings....uhhhh...I mean working...uhhh... out of town....

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #784 of 802 Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 AM

My day just got better realizing that Staffy is back! Beautiful job on the lawn and the kid! Good to hear it has reigned in his string of terror!

Ryan
post #785 of 802 Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Staffy,
I am starting to gut my room and planning my Theater build. In my planning of my HV/AC system, I need to decide on using flexible soft insulated duct with possible use of it installed in a insulated soffit as per Ted White's reccommendations on his Soundproofing company's website or completely remove all existing metal ducts and utilize a separate ductless HV/AC system.

My question to you is how effective did your HV/AC ducting work out? Can you play
at max levels without waking anyone sleeping upstairs and/or being asked to turn it down?
Thanks,
Ed
post #786 of 802 Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLMartini View Post

Staffy,
I am starting to gut my room and planning my Theater build. In my planning of my HV/AC system, I need to decide on using flexible soft insulated duct with possible use of it installed in a insulated soffit as per Ted White's reccommendations on his Soundproofing company's website or completely remove all existing metal ducts and utilize a separate ductless HV/AC system.

My question to you is how effective did your HV/AC ducting work out? Can you play
at max levels without waking anyone sleeping upstairs and/or being asked to turn it down?
Thanks,
Ed

I think isolating the ducts like I did worked out great... my weak link is my hollow core door at the top which I will replace eventually. I can play material at normal volume and not hear anything from the vents in the floor above.

I have never woken the kid up yet... my wife on the other hand, if she hears me breathing, she asks me to stop... so that is not really a good question to ask

If you want perfection, do what Ted says. If you are cheap and this is your first theater of others yet to come... experiment.

post #787 of 802 Old 02-27-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks! Your Theater Looks Great!!!!
post #788 of 802 Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

He is MIA AGAIN!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #789 of 802 Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffy View Post

10/1/2009

staffy -1, dennis the menace -0... Ain't war a bitch?

this summer i took a break from the theater and started multiple wars. The first war was with my lawn. I found out my lawncare company was bs'ing me in telling me i had a fungus causing weird grass to grow all over. I cut out samples, drove all over the place to experts, and finally found out i had wild bentgrass...similar to what you see on a golfcourse. After a month of trying to cut out the bad spots, i later realized i would have to suffer through it and just kill off the lawn and start over next year.

While i was slaving away out in the sun, the neighborhood rugrat was talking my ear off. He lives right behind me, so i have seen him grow from a hyper little infant to the neighborhood menace over the last 5 years. If you see a bike thrown in the pond...it was him. If you find a dented garage door... It was him. Yard tore up because some kid wants to play baseball with his friends... It was him.

So this little toe-head was chatting away trying to show off to a neighbor girl. He started bragging about some of his latest achievements. I told him he had better not get caught or his dad, a police officer, would probably tan his behind.

This lil bugger puffed out his chest, grinned, looked me right in the eye and said, "i am not scared, i can do whatever i want!"

ohhh wow.. I don't know why this lit me up so much, but man i got pissed... "you do that buddy, let's see how that works out for ya..." i got an evil smile as an idea popped into my head...

I was about to head out of town for two weeks on business... So i went out at dusk, grabbed my jug of round up and proceeded to spray a design in my yard that directly faced his yard.

I kind of forgot about it until after i got back from my trip, was mowing my crappy yard and what i saw next brought a smile to my face...

evidently for the past week, my yard had been the talk of the neighborhood. That day, someone finally said something to the parents and my phone started ringing.

Dennis the menace's mom called and started apologizing right and left, i played dumb and went out to look at the "damage". I ended the call with "kids will be kids i guess...".

Later the father stopped me to apologize and i could not hold a straight face any longer, so i busted out laughing as i told him what i did and why i did it. He laughed and said the lil bugger deserved it and he would smooth this all over with the mom.

Haven't seen the lil troublemaker in 4 months, he steers clear of my yard

staffy for the win!!!!

lmao----rotf lmao
post #790 of 802 Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

He is MIA AGAIN!!!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

I AM NOT MIA AGAIN... was out of town a few weeks on business, now re-doing 10,000 sq foot of sod... so far, my neighbor Mark and I cut it all up with a sod cutter last weekend. Spent every day since hauling sod to the curb with a wheelbarrow. (@#$%^ me, have you priced landscaping????)

I am sore, burned, tired, and wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp. The money I save goes towards a new projector.

So unless you have a wheelbarrow and some gloves, cut me some slack

Yes I have more pics, just no time to update... but I will do that in batches... nothing special to report though, just piddly stuff that no one will care about.

(Okay, RTRose, I admit I played XBOX 360 in February...sue me)

post #791 of 802 Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well at least you admit it. Now I won't sue. Glad to see you back from the brink.

I love having a nice yard, but the work it takes to get it there is hard, backbreaking work and really sucks. I really need to do some of that hard labor again this year in the yard, but I just don't know if I have the motivation to do it this year.

Have fun playing out it the yard.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #792 of 802 Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Last year the yard was neglected, this year I have to hit it hard again. Not looking forward to it.

post #793 of 802 Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Just found this thread the other day when it got bumped and read it from front to back. Quite a few hilarious stories and a good looking theater to boot. I hope to one day have my own theater build thread and make it half as entertaining as yours. Until that day, at least I have a decent system to watch some stuff on, and a wife I've been married to for only 7 months or so, so our "disagreements" are not quite at your level, to say the least.

On a side note, she is a redhead, but acts like a blonde 80% of the time. On the plus side though, she at least will sit and listen to an explanation of why I need X piece of HT gear before saying no.

Infected with the AVS-induced Home Theater Bug.
post #794 of 802 Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Liked: 18
One of the funniest build threads I have ever read. I am glad I stumbled across it and wasted a couple hours of my life - well worth it!

Brian

post #795 of 802 Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Did this ever get finished? great thread many laughs
post #796 of 802 Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadoVR6 View Post

Did this ever get finished? great thread many laughs

I think he lost his trailer in the housing crash.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #797 of 802 Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This by far is the best build thread I have ever wasted my time reading. When I started reading this at work yesterday my productivity has ceased until I just finished it.

I would like to see some finished pics of the theater as well as the yard.
post #798 of 802 Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah, I have been concerned about Staffy...I have seen him post here and there on other forums on the site...
Maybe Mrs. Staffy laid down the law!

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #799 of 802 Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Best build thread ever!

Buffalo Wild Wings, the washing machine, garbage in the bed, Dennis the menace...you need a television show my friend.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #800 of 802 Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Nothing like waking up the 2 year old thread only to find absolutely nothing going on! Staffy has been MIA longer than Elvis.

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #801 of 802 Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Nothing like waking up the 2 year old thread only to find absolutely nothing going on! Staffy has been MIA longer than Elvis.

You know Elvis didn't die right? He just went back home.

If you are going to resurrect a thread this is a good one.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #802 of 802 Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 PM

OMG.....I just finished reading the entire thread and can't remember how long it's been since I got that many LOL's out of a thread. The witty exchanges had me going as well....

Add me to the list of folks that would love to see the details on the motorized CD/DVD storage, as well as any additional work that has been done to finish up his "man cave". It sure was looking great!

Oh yes, whoever gave the link to his wife...... definately not cool.......

NCDaveD
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page