MattFlix Media Room Attic Theater Begins Construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's a theater without a logo? LOL

So I love watching movies. I love it so much I've decided to bite the bullet and start construction in my attic. Here are the floor plans:

This is a low budget build. I'm hoping to spend less than $4,000 to build the room (not including electronics). I'm doing all the work myself so no labor costs will be incurred. Phase I is now complete. Last week I rerouted my air ducts and today I moved the furnace 5 feet to the south (Yes my furnace is in the attic).

Before moving ducts:

After moving ducts:

This is looking where is screen will be. For scale reference the rafters on the roof are 24" apart.

Here is a lame 3d drawing I did looking at the screen. Notice the 2:35 to 1 ratio?

I was able to snatch up the Mitsubishi HC4900 on sale the last day they offered the $500 rebate. I'm pretty excited about that!

Here it is hooked up in my living room for testing purposes.

Here is a list Electronics I'll have up there to start:
- Mitsubishi HC4900 1080p
- Sony STR-DE897/S 5.1 receiver
- Playstation 3
- Energy Act 6 speakers
- Cable box

Pretty simple set up, but it will do everything I need it to. My goal is to have it complete in 2 months. Wish me luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

It's nice to have an attic without trusses in the way. However, you definately have a lot of work to do before it will start looking like a room.

If this is over bedrooms, you should add seperate floor joists about 1" higher than the current joists to help isolate the sound. My theater is in a basement with 10" of rockwool insulation + two layers of drywall seperated by Green Glue. Although sound isolation is dramatically better than the adjoining room with R-13 pink stuff & normal drywall, my wife still "coments" whenever I play a movie.

-----------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

I love that projector mount.

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #4 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlllava View Post

If this is over bedrooms, you should add seperate floor joists about 1" higher than the current joists to help isolate the sound.

The existing floor joists are 2x10's over my living room where the theater will be. I will be adding a 2x4 subfloor with extra insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post

I love that projector mount.

LOL! I didn't keep it up there very long. It scared my every time a kid walked by it. But man, that projector produces an amazing looking image.

post #5 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM

looks good so far
post #6 of 200 Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

attic spaces and builds are so interesting. look forward to following along. later.

post #7 of 200 Old 04-26-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've made terrible progress over the past 2 weeks. I've had another high-priority project keeping me busy at nights and weekends. I've completed that project and now I can focus on my theater. I bought wood last night. Guess how much this wood cost me!

It's not everything I need, but it will get me started.

2x4x8 = 50 qty
2x8x8 = 16 qty (that's all they had on the shelf LOL)
2x8x10 = 6 qty
4x8 plywood = 20 sheets. I'm going to double stack these.

P.S. I've got a friend that works at Lowe's and got his discount!

I mocked up the stairs with cardboard so my wife could get an idea of how it's going to be laid out.

I'm making my stairs pretty steep because ceiling cutout (so you don't hit your head going up the stairs) eats into my room upstairs. The card board is 9.25" rise/run but my wife wants each step lower, so I'm cutting 1" off each rise and keeping the run about 9-9.25".

post #8 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Your stair rise/run appear to be close to minimums at 8/9.25. I think some local jurisdictions require more. You might want to check first, especially if you need to pull a permit.

It should be a challenging build either way.
post #9 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I got a fair amount done within the 4 hours I worked up there today. I've leveled off a portion of the floor and brought up some plywood sheets.

To get the plywood up there I had to remove a portion of the dryer exhaust tube. As soon as I took off the 45 degree elbow a foot long birds nest slide out of the tube. No telling how long that thing has been in there. My wife has been complaining about the dryer not performing well lately so hopefully the removal of the nest will help.

post #10 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 PM

I would bet, if you live in an area surrounded by trees, that that is either a squirrels nest, or a mouse nest. Birds don't usually make nests in pipes.

Cheers,

Dave
post #11 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm thinking pterodactyl

PROJECTS:

post #12 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacsmoker View Post

I would bet, if you live in an area surrounded by trees, that that is either a squirrels nest, or a mouse nest. Birds don't usually make nests in pipes.

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry Dave but you'd lose that bet. LOL! There was actually an egg in the nest.

post #13 of 200 Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

My projector (Mitsubishi HC4900) was feeling lonely in it's box so I got it out saturday night and set it up in my garage with my 30ft HDMI cord. I was the perfect length, I didn't even need to move the PS3 for it to work. I projected it 175" on my garage door and it looked amazing. Very sharp and clear and colors looked awesome.

post #14 of 200 Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

As it starts to get hotter with this Oklahoma weather, I need anything I can to keep it cooler in the attic. I've set up this fan in my attic pull down stairs opening. It really helps pull fresh air into the attic.

I've added some more sub-flooring and am now able to lay down some plywood flooring. This will be the actual height of the floor. I'm not nailing/screwing down the plywood yet, because I am going to add more insulation for sound proofing.

Notice the support board attached to the rafters in front of the windows? Notice the white specs on the board? That's bird poop from a while back. It's taken a while to bird proof my attic. Seems like they find a new way in as soon as I close off their hole.

post #15 of 200 Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm about 75% done with installing the sub-floor. The remaining part is above my kitchen and will require 2x8's to get the new floor leveled off. To the right of these photos:

post #16 of 200 Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Update from this weekend. I'm near completion with laying the subfloor down. Next weekend I should be able to spray down extra insulation to fill in the raised level subfloor and lay all the plywood flooring down permanently. I worked a 1/2 day Saturday and a full day on Sunday.

Here's a lame panoramic view. My second photo on the right wasn't quite straight.

Panoramic looking the opposite direction:

It looks really messy right now with tool and extra wood laying around:

This is standing close to the chimney looking toward where the stairs will come up. I still have to move that huge return air duct in the middle of this photo:

I actually got to build some wall ahead of schedule. I needed to bust out some old roof supports, so I build this section to replace the old support boards. I've decided to go with 24" wall studs. I hope I don't regret it. It's kind of an optical illusion with this photo, but all the new rafters (subfloor) do come up to the same height.

Later,
Matt

post #17 of 200 Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

I made pretty good progress this weekend. I finished all the sub-flooring and I sprayed more insulation between the rafters. I installed several sheets of plywood flooring and installed most of the north wall. This was needed because I took out a main roof brace. The wall is now the new support for the roof.

Here is the revised floor plans. I've added a closet.

North wall. This is the wall that my projector will be pointing at.

post #18 of 200 Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Almost done with the floor! I'll start framing this weekend.

post #19 of 200 Old 05-28-2008, 06:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm not an expert on the topic but the angle of those rafter supports generates a lot different support then short side walls. Have you had your design looked at by a "Pro"?

PROJECTS:

post #20 of 200 Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice floor!

I really need to have someone come take a look at my attic and give me an estimate on converting it.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #21 of 200 Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I'm not an expert on the topic but the angle of those rafter supports generates a lot different support then short side walls. Have you had your design looked at by a "Pro"?

I've had two people review my plans. They both said as long as I place parts of my new walls directly above the walls downstairs I will be fine. After everything is constructed together correctly it will be stronger than before. Thanks for your concerns, I will be keeping an eye on correct support for the roof.

post #22 of 200 Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
just noticed you are in tulsa... I live in fayetteville so not that far away... Im over that way about every 2 weeks or so it seems for work (tulsa stores get backed up so they pull me do to do jobs)... wouldn't mind helping if you need it.

post #23 of 200 Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

aaronlinkous,
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind when I need all the sheet rock up there! LOL

Here is an update from this week end. I got a couple sections of framing up.

Here is where it started:

Here is where it is now:

post #24 of 200 Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I bought two new vinyl windows (24x36") yesterday for $75 each for my upstairs. I installed them myself today, it took about 4 hours total (installing cutting new trim, caulked, kilz and painted). My old windows didn't open and was made of aluminum. Finally I can get some more fresh air up there! Woot!

post #25 of 200 Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Liked: 11
This build has me intrigued. I think that it's an excellent use of space. Two things though. What are your HVAC plans for up there? My attic gets hotter than heck in the summer. I can imagine you are dying working up there now!

With stairs that steep just keep in mind that you will need to eventually get furniture up there. Luckily most HT chairs come in two pieces for easy transport . A couch may be less entertaining to move up there.

The
Build Thread.

Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #26 of 200 Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster View Post

This build has me intrigued. I think that it's an excellent use of space. Two things though. What are your HVAC plans for up there? My attic gets hotter than heck in the summer. I can imagine you are dying working up there now!

With stairs that steep just keep in mind that you will need to eventually get furniture up there. Luckily most HT chairs come in two pieces for easy transport . A couch may be less entertaining to move up there.

HVAC plans: For now I'll be using my existing unit because of budget constraints. I will have more insulation than called for to help out. I've been told by a local HVAC guy that a rule of thumb is 500sq/ft per ton on the unit itself. Do you guys feel that is accurate (I've read there are more variables involved than that). I have a 4 ton unit and my house is 1750sq/ft right now. My theater will be about 400 sq/ft for a total of 2150 sq/ft.

Stairs: I'll do what I can to keep the stair not so steep. I definitely want to be able to get a couch up there.

post #27 of 200 Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr762 View Post

HVAC plans: For now I'll be using my existing unit because of budget constraints. I will have more insulation than called for to help out. I've been told by a local HVAC guy that a rule of thumb is 500sq/ft per ton on the unit itself. Do you guys feel that is accurate (I've read there are more variables involved than that). I have a 4 ton unit and my house is 1750sq/ft right now. My theater will be about 400 sq/ft for a total of 2150 sq/ft.

Stairs: I'll do what I can to keep the stair not so steep. I definitely want to be able to get a couch up there.

I just bought a new house and the inspector told me the same thing, ~500 sq ft per ton. With enough insulation you should be able to manage OK but not great. There will likely be a few degrees difference between floors, based on homes here that are single story with a bonus room using a single unit. Consider keeping some dark blinds/drapes on the windows during the summer upstairs to help as well.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
post #28 of 200 Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can one even stand in such a room?

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #29 of 200 Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Who needs to stand when you've got sweet seats?

Jason

post #30 of 200 Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Can one even stand in such a room?

I've had several people ask for some shots with a person in it for scale reference. Yes, that's my ugly mug. I'm about 5'9".

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page