Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 1056 Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice work.

I did a cursory read and liked the indexing and "To Do" list.
I may add that indexing to my thread.
I already have a "To Do" list.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1056 Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks Mike,

Stay tuned screen wall paneling time this weekend...
post #663 of 1056 Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was starting to wonder whatever happened to this build ?
post #664 of 1056 Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still here, just slow going as of late. After I got the crown up and past that milestone I lost a bit of motivation and have just been busy with other things.

Getting fired up now though. Were planning to have friends and family over for Labor Day weekend so I couldn't possibly let everyone come over and not see any real progress since the last time they were here. So at minimum I need to have the screen wall done. This will hopefully get things back in motion and make me push all the way thru.

Gotta get some of those acoustic foam pieces that KJ used on his screen wall gonna look nice with some behind screen lighting.
post #665 of 1056 Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Still here, just slow going as of late. After I got the crown up and past that milestone I lost a bit of motivation and have just been busy with other things.

Getting fired up now though. Were planning to have friends and family over for Labor Day weekend so I couldn't possibly let everyone come over and not see any real progress since the last time they were here. So at minimum I need to have the screen wall done. This will hopefully get things back in motion and make me push all the way thru.

Gotta get some of those acoustic foam pieces that KJ used on his screen wall gonna look nice with some behind screen lighting.

I haven't visited here since the beginning of July. It's just been a busy summer. I'm still out of work. My wife and I actually wrapped our screen frame tonight in velvet. Frame goes together tomorrow morning and the screen is also going into it. Then later this week it will be hung. I spent the weekend putting up trim and deadening the front wall (it has 4" of OC-703 across the entire thing, wrapped in black gom).

So, I've gotten busy as of late. I also got an older laptop with XP on it that works with my universal remote stuff to allow me to begin programming everything....

Anyways, I guess I'll get to updating around here soon. My kid is now almost 8 months old (wow) and is going to be baptised on the 20th of September so I am working to get the room "done" - minus the bar and stools - by then for the 100 people attending the party afterwards at our house.

I hope all is well.

DW
post #666 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Will, good to hear from you. Sorry your still out of work, hopefully something will turn up for you soon. The little ones grow up quick, enjoy every moment that you can.

I got some work done this weekend I'll post some pics in a little while.
post #667 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After much loafing around and promises to get back in the game it has finally happened. Progress!!!

Not as much as I would have liked, but I had a honey do item that took up way to much time on Saturday vs. the other way around.

I bought a 12 foot length of PVC lumber.

The reason I went with the PVC lumber as some of you may know is that it is very pliable and flexible. Since my false wall is curved this is ideal.

In the pics above I had already cut a strip and remembered I needed pics.

This stuff cuts like butter and I was able to cut 4 strips of 1.25" on a wide 5.5" wide piece.

Originally I was going to make 3 panels for the lower section of the wall, but I decided to take a chance and see I could get away with making a single panel for the lower section. So I cut the lengths to fit wall to wall.

Since this stuff is so pliable I needed to add verticals all the way accross.

Saturday afternoon I got a chance to spray the front of the frame black to ensure no white would bleed thru.

Then Sunday in the evening I managed to attach the fabric
I started in the middle.

Then I went to each side

Then I went back to middle and started working my way over in each direction switching off top to bottom.

When I got to the corners I was very careful to make the sides clean because it was such a tight fit on the wall so the one fold is on the top and bottom. Overall though I was able to make it lye very flat.

Finally after what felt like a million staples, I was able to finish it off.
Here it is pre-install

And then friction fit into place, unfortunately it does such a good job blacking out the space that I am having trouble getting a good pic of the panel in place.

I may place a couple of dabs of velcro (just to be certain) but it holds itself in place quite well.

I still need to make the 2 side panels and make thin strip to wrap in fabric to go over the screen, but seeing how nice my first panel turned out has got me really motivated to keep going. Hope you guys like it.
post #668 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Nice work Orlando.
post #669 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well done Oman. Nice idea using that PVC lumber, I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects.
post #670 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very nice! Yay to progress!

I went the velcro route myself and it worked pretty well. That industrial strength stuff is hefty. You don't need much
post #671 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Once I get those side panels done, I'll figure out If I need the velcro or not.

It makes the lower section look so finished, and even with the side walls painted black the whole wall looks deceivingly done in the dark.
post #672 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Looking good. Ill have to try that PVC trim when I do my grill covers... Neat idea.

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

My Pic Intentive Build Thread
post #673 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Eric,

I don't know if I will use it for the rest of my frames for the walls as it is a little pricier than regular wood but it cuts real nice and is easy to work with.
post #674 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nice work on the panel. I'll second the comment on not using very much velcro (if you decide you need it).

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #675 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kj. I'm pumped to do to the side panels. I already picked up some more of the PVC lumber to do the side panels. I didn't want to use regular stock to make the sides so I could be certain of material variation. I'm guessing that I will have to do one or two horizontal pieces to keep everything squared.

One good thing (I hope) is that there my origanal piece left me with a very thin strip which I should be able to hopefully use at the top of the screen wall as filler. Gonna have to glue the fabric though, to thin to staple.
post #676 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

After much loafing around and promises to get back in the game it has finally happened. Progress!!!

Not as much as I would have liked, but I had a honey do item that took up way to much time on Saturday vs. the other way around.

I bought a 12 foot length of PVC lumber.

The reason I went with the PVC lumber as some of you may know is that it is very pliable and flexible. Since my false wall is curved this is ideal.

In the pics above I had already cut a strip and remembered I needed pics.

This stuff cuts like butter and I was able to cut 4 strips of 1.25" on a wide 5.5" wide piece.

Originally I was going to make 3 panels for the lower section of the wall, but I decided to take a chance and see I could get away with making a single panel for the lower section. So I cut the lengths to fit wall to wall.

Since this stuff is so pliable I needed to add verticals all the way accross.

Saturday afternoon I got a chance to spray the front of the frame black to ensure no white would bleed thru.

Then Sunday in the evening I managed to attach the fabric
I started in the middle.

Then I went to each side

Then I went back to middle and started working my way over in each direction switching off top to bottom.

When I got to the corners I was very careful to make the sides clean because it was such a tight fit on the wall so the one fold is on the top and bottom. Overall though I was able to make it lye very flat.

Finally after what felt like a million staples, I was able to finish it off.
Here it is pre-install

And then friction fit into place, unfortunately it does such a good job blacking out the space that I am having trouble getting a good pic of the panel in place.

I may place a couple of dabs of velcro (just to be certain) but it holds itself in place quite well.

I still need to make the 2 side panels and make thin strip to wrap in fabric to go over the screen, but seeing how nice my first panel turned out has got me really motivated to keep going. Hope you guys like it.

Very nice Orlando!

2 things...

Go with velcro. In the winter when the dryness shrinks the wood, you'll be glad you did.

What is the fabric material you used?

-t
post #677 of 1056 Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Great work oman! The panel looks awesome. For that small strip that you need to glue I used Scotch 77 spray on mine. It worked great, but be sure to use gloves, long sleeves and optional goggles.
post #678 of 1056 Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks tek & queen.

I will likely add the velcro as that bottom panel needs to stay in a little tight about a foot from the edges. It's not loose or nothing, it sort of snaps into place at the edges and center and won't come out. Just certain areas I can push against slightly and you can see that it is not laying perfectly against the lower wall. So velcro for that section it is.

Now for the side panels (which I made the frames for last night) I am able to position those between the screen border and the false wall framing. I left a 1/4" inch reveal on the lower false wall frame and the bottom panel, so when I position the side panel it sits on top of the lower panel and wont go any further back. There is also a 1/4 inch lip at the top of the false wall frame but it only goes out about 5" or so on either side, not all the way to wall. This is good enough as the frames then go between the screens border and the reveal/lips. The frames go in at an angle and are held quite snuggly between the screen frame and the wals

Unfortunately no pics yet, it got late and I didn't have a chance to snap some off. I'll take some tonight.

The cloth that I am using is actually Dazian Janus. I picked it up from my buddy here, Dave aka dc_pilgrim. He had bought it before being relocated by his job and didn't know what his next opportunity for a HT would be and didn't want to have to patch different lots together. I've had it for a while, I actually used it for underneath my soffits. If you recall I pointed the soffits out during the meet. What I really like is that it doesn't have any directional pattern. I also got a blue fabric which is sort of like a royal blue (can't recall the name, Dave?) which will be going on the walls, along with the black.

Thanks for the tip for the strip queen. I was able to fit into place last night and it is going to work out perfectly I believe. Just need to spray the side panels and strip black, and then wrap in fabric.
post #679 of 1056 Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Its the CK Blue if memory serves.

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...=246&group_id=

I am also a big fan of the janus fabric. Cheaper than GOM, more limited selection, but I think its real nice stuff. I am definitely getting some more for the next build, although probably just black since I will only do panels, not full wall treatments.
post #680 of 1056 Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's the one, thanks. I need to devise a wall panel plan, gotta keep rolling now that I'm back in the mode.
post #681 of 1056 Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nice job. I'm too dense to even think of such a clever but simple solution. I specialize in solutions that are complex, expensive and/or stupid.

Sigh. A man's got to know his limitations.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #682 of 1056 Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks hanesian, but what no picture?
post #683 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Who's got time to be posting a bunch of "stupid pictures off the internet", to quote one of my faithful readers? Surely not me.

And don't call me Shirley.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #684 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm talking about!!!
post #685 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

The panel looks great, O! Now keep going Are the side panels you mention for the screen wall or the side walls and sound panels?

Garen
post #686 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Garen, the side panels I'm referring to are frames for the left and right side of the screen wall, along with a cloth covered strip for the top. I will also make panels for the walls eventually with linacoustic underneath.

The side frames are done and sprayed. Hopefully I'll get a chance to wrap them in fabric tonight, if not tomorrow.

I took down my screen last night because I wanted to have my screen mount a little different to the soffit overhead, at least in the center. Because there is no vertical supports on the screen in the middle I used mini clamps in the center to pull the screen up and keep everything taut, if not the center will sag(probably more so over time). The problem with the clamps is that it's not easy to get back there to release the clamps if need be.

So what I did was to create a bracket of sorts to have the top middle part of the screen to sit on first and then still secure it with clamps at the sides. I used angled steel supports that one uses in the corner for risers or decks and some left over pieces of the PVC lumber. It worked right away and held the center of the screen just fine but I needed to adjust 1 of the 2 brackets I made as it was not letting me push the screen far back enough.

I also took this opportunity to attach some speaker cloth to the back of my frame which I had hanging behind the screen. It turned out pretty nice and the good thing is that I should still be able to use lighting behind the screen if I want to.

Sorry but no pics, it got late again and I had put the screen back up before taking shots of the brackets. I'll try to take some from the backside with the screen mounted.
post #687 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry but no pics, it got late again and I had put the screen back up before taking shots of the brackets. I'll try to take some from the backside with the screen mounted.

OK, but just remember this is a PG-13 rated forum, oman, so be careful!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #688 of 1056 Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #689 of 1056 Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are the shots from behind the screen to show the brackets that I put in place to hold the screen from the center vs. using mini clamps. You can also see the speaker cloth material which I attached to the back of the screen.

Obviously some of the image still bleeds thru to the back wall but it is way better than before. It wasn't really a big deal except that very rarely, under the right circumstances, you might see a reflection or image ghost.

I took the following pics to show the 1/4 reveal and lip which hold the side panels between them and the border.

Fitting in the side panels.

Both panels fit into place with the strip overhead.

After they were sprayed black and dried for a day the panels were wrapped and ready to go.

I didn't take any pics, but I ended wrapping the top strip with cloth and using small binder clips to hold the material. The clips are small enough where they fall behind the border and aid in keepin the strip from falling in behind the screen.

Everything in place now.

Gotta get some linacoustic before I can move on. Also hoping to get the same acoustic foam Kjlewie used for behind my screen wall area.
post #690 of 1056 Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Wow, that looks really good.

I'll have to "borrow" the PVC lumber idea when I do my panels around the screen since I'm going with a curved setup as well.

Thanks!

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page