Breaking the rules theater build - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ok finally time to update the thread. Sorry it's taken so long to show these, procastination is a terrible thing. At least I've been working on the actual project though.

Below are some images capturing the dricore work done and primed walls in the rec and workout area.

In this next shot you can see the dricore towards the HT room and doors in place for the mechanical room, media closet and pockect door for the ht.

As you can see I've managed to prime and mostly paint the doors still need to do a second coat on them. The color I went with is called Volcanic Ash and basically looks like the color on my Harmony 880. Looks really good and distinctive in person.

I managed to sheetrock the outside part of the pocket door. I also added foam board to the inside like I did on the home theater side. I'm hoping this will help fill some of the cavity. I'm intending to hopefully line the gap's with felt or something similar, we'll see when I get there.

In other news I received word from Roman that my seats will be coming soon. They are expected to ship out on the 8/8. Just about a full two months sooner than I expected, which is nice as far as service and speed, but difficult cause I thought I would have a little more time to get ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Nice! Looking like real room now!

Keep up the good work.
Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #63 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looking good. Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

In other news I received word from Roman that my seats will be coming soon. They are expected to ship out on the 8/8. Just about a full two months sooner than I expected, which is nice as far as service and speed, but difficult cause I thought I would have a little more time to get ready.

I feel your pain. I have six big boxes in my game room that I now have to work around. Be stong and keep them in the box until you are done or it will slow you down (personal experience). And having to make yourself put them back in the box to get some more work done is depressing. When you spend that much on chairs it is hard to keep them all boxed up.

Keep going!!!

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #64 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, got any pics of your overall floor plan. Nothing special, maybe just a picture of a hand drawing. It is hard to put all the pieces together from all the individual pictures/descriptions.

post #65 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys,

Major milestone with the dricore and priming. Like you said Tom looks like real rooms now. Cant wait to do the flooring and drop ceiling.

It's gonna be a challenge to not be tempted by the seats. My only hope is that I wouldn't want anything to happen to them so they must stay in the boxes. I do want to inspect them and make sure everything is good with the motors and finish, so I wil try to do some quick inspections and tests.

Once I finish doing a second coat on the doors I am moving back to HT room and start building my screenwall and then it's on to getting some linacoustic and building the fabric frames (kind'a dreading this part).
post #66 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Hey, got any pics of your overall floor plan. Nothing special, maybe just a picture of a hand drawing. It is hard to put all the pieces together from all the individual pictures/descriptions.

I have an initial concept drawing on an index card of what I wanted to do at home. I'll snap off a pic and post when I get a chance although the configuration of the HT got reversed and the kitchennette area is a little different the layout of the rooms are pretty much the same.

Just to give you an idea though, if you look at the picture of the 3 doors above I am in the corner of the rec room where I intend to hang an LCD tv and where the pool table will be.
To the right is the workout area this is where the stairs coming down leads into.
The left door in the pic is the mechanical room which is a 10x12 area. The middle door is the HT room which is 18X11.5.
post #67 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks guys,

It's gonna be a challenge to not be tempted by the seats. My only hope is that I wouldn't want anything to happen to them so they must stay in the boxes. I do want to inspect them and make sure everything is good with the motors and finish, so I wil try to do some quick inspections and tests.

I assume they ship all the chiars the same so if you MUST inspect I would suggest the following.

1. Open the top of the box. The chairs are laying on their backs.
2. Remove the separately bagged chair back from the box.
3. Tilt the box on its side so the chair is now on it's legs. Mine were shipped with an extra piece of cardboard under the base of the legs.
4. Use this extra piece of cardboard to slide the chair out of the box.
5. Don't take the chair off the cardboard.
6. Assemble (you really don't need to put them together but I am sure at this point you will not be able to resist sitting in at least one of them.
7. Inspect
8. Disasemble. Make sure you put the foam tub covers thingees over the posts your removed them from to put the back on.
9. Use the cardboard that it is still sitting on to slide the recovered chair back into the box.
10. Tilt back up, enclose the chair back and close the box back up.

May the force be with you (to continue progrees and not fall asleep in one of the chairs).

I have a game room full of boxed chairs and a spare bedroom full of boxed speakers that taunt me while I sleep.

OOOOOO let me out..OOOOOOOO I want to play ooooooooo I am so comfy...ooooooo I need my wire....

... and I can't seem to finish my crazy riser...

post #68 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Be sure to follow, it I will.

post #69 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Dude,

I must admit, you have more patience than I did. I was so excited about my seating arriving yesterday that I ended up carrying one down on my own. Too bad I put a ding in the wall. Now I'm just going nutts waiting to get equipment
post #70 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I carried four Coaster Directors upstairs by myself because I couldn't wait 4 hours for a buddy.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #71 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ouch... my back is aching already.
post #72 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Well, you gotta order the seats when the budget committee approves so I am sure you'll find a way to work around them.

I'd be curious about a layout also.
post #73 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Definately Dave,

Nice to see you on the forum, how's the new job and home going.

Got myself a PS3 now with an IR2BT for control. I'm loving it.
post #74 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Everything is crazy busy. The job is a lot more responsibility, and settling into the house is a process. We are down to two more rooms to paint. We did a psuedo Ronnie Jackson epoxy treatment to my garage floor, so I can move my tools back to the garage and set up a work area. We should have the basics covered before the baby comes in October.

I still poke around on the forums, but have a lot less to post about without an active build.

The PS3 keeps getting better, glad you like yours. I had houseguests this past weekend, and the $5-$10 downloadable bowling game is pretty fun for those of us without the Wii.
post #75 of 1056 Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would love to do that epoxy to my garage floor, it needs it. Probably won't be able to do that until I get a shed though. To much stuff in there.
post #76 of 1056 Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shot off some pics of my design sketches. I tried to initially use sketchup and I know their is a fairly quick learning curve on it but I have always found it easier to just sketch my ideas on paper.

This was the initial cocept, sketched on index card then copied together. I was using this to show a friends boyfriend the layout for an HVAC quote:

The layout changed cause I couldn't put the entry door to HT where I wanted due to the main waste pipe. It followed the center beam and dropped underneath where the header would have been. Even with where the door is now I had to lift it a couple of inches to clear the soffit frame.

So I had to flip things around in the HT because otherwise we would be stepping up to the riser then down to a front row. The Mrs. wanted a more open feel so we eliminated the walls in the workout area. This is cool because this way we use the same set in the rec room during workouts and what not. I redid the sketch last night to show changes and a redesign in the kittchenette and cocession area.

I had also sketched out the riser and stage concept so thought I would share that as well:

Also sketched the layout of the lighting in the room along with the projector soffit enclosure. I did a L shaped soffit on either side similar to the Arthouse setup, but I promise I had done this prior to seeing his final setup. I also put the final 2 recessed lights in the soffit area in the back. I was originally gonna go with lighting around the soffit but I might have been to much for the room. I will be adding crown and ropelight to the false soffits. Also you can see the curve of the proscenium, which is what I will be moving to next.

post #77 of 1056 Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good use of the space. Nice add for the Kitchenette. Where is the equipment rack going?
post #78 of 1056 Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, all the equipment will be in the media closet underneath the steps. Accessible just before going into the HT. Just going with a shelf on casters' for now, maybe in the future I'll upgrade to a pull out rack. The way it's set up now it's a usable closet which will serve the storage needs for DVD's and other items as well.

I'm also debating if I still want to make the door for the media closet (unfinished door on right)a faux ticket booth similar to Heynow's. His looks great but when I installed the doors I like the clean look of all the doors together.
post #79 of 1056 Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if anyone has any good resources for door hardware. I tried google but didn't get anything worthwhile.

I want to replace the hinges on my doors and want to get new hinges, door knobs, and pocket door hardware in a similar finish. The gold hinges which come stock are simply like POW.

Looking for something like a pewter finish or dark grey.

Also thought I would show a preview of the marquee sign that Bud offered up to us. This was just an initial pic to show what the lettering will look like. He said he will be adjusting the layout of the stars since I have less lettering. What do you guys think.

post #80 of 1056 Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

I got hinges off e-bay with good success.
post #81 of 1056 Old 07-29-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dave,

I took a peak over there and it seems hopeful. I'll probably get them there if I cant find it locally.
post #82 of 1056 Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Restoration of Data Loss: I did a search for my build thread in Google to see if I could find the missing posts. When my thread came up I clicked the "Cached" link at the end of the result. This brought up most of my missing posts, I know I'm missing a couple from over the weekend but the rest are pasted over below in text format at least. Darn, that brings my goals back into play.

08-02-08, 10:39 PM
mn_hokie
Advanced Member

Posts: 627 You should be able to get quite a few hinge color variations at your local Home Depot or Lowes as well. I actually got my stuff at Menards, but I think they're just a midwestern chain.

08-03-08, 08:13 AM
md1953

Posts: 126 It appears that the pocket door is the only access to the HT. The chairs will fit through the opening, right? I'm sure that you thought about that, right?

08-03-08, 02:15 PM
oman321
Advanced Member

Posts: 866 Darn... I knew I was forgetting something...Arrrggghhhhh!!!!!

He,he jk Should be no problem chairs can fit through a 28" opening that is a 30" opening so no problems.

As far as the hinges I've seen a couple of different ones at Lowes but not pewter or black. I'll have to check HD. Thanks.

Yesterday, 10:35 AM
oman321
Advanced Member

Posts: 866 In response to RPH's challenge, I am listing out my goals for the month of August.
Without making excuses I am limited in my weekend time because of a couple of Church events this month and trying to help my sister set up and open up a beauty salon. So most of the work will be done after work hours and whatever time I can grab on the weekends.

Goals:
1. Build curved stage step as seen on the diagram/layout above.
2. Build curved soffit for screen lights, also as seen on the lighting layout above.
3. Install and wire four 3" recessed lights for screen.
4. Build curved false screen wall.
5. Sheetrock curved soffit, compound, sand, prime and paint.

Stretch Goal:
6. Build curved screen frame, and paint.
7. Paint the false wall and stage area behind the false wall black.

Let's see how it goes.

Yesterday, 10:38 AM
mn_hokie
Advanced Member

Posts: 627 You should have left the beauty salon part out of that post. I'm going to have to stamp your man card for that one.

Yesterday, 11:00 AM
oman321
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by mn_hokie
You should have left the beauty salon part out of that post. I'm going to have to stamp your man card for that one.

Not so fast, I'm doing the heavy lifting, not the hair teasing.

The sad part is she has had other folks in there helping her in trying to get this rolling. When I go in and see their work and what they have done to brand new work stations she bought I simply shake my head in disgust.

I'm going in to try and salvage what I can, tonight I'm gonna be doing some electrical. Setting up all the lighting fixtures for the all the stations. Also need to wire up some outlets on two barber stations. The old electrical was run in "on wall" track and looks horrible.

I need to punch some holes and fish the wiring so on and so forth. The folks helping her before thought it was a good idea to paint before doing electrical and plumbing???

Yesterday, 11:10 AM
mn_hokie
Advanced Member

Posts: 627 Ok, but if i see you make a cameo appearance on Bravo this week, I'm calling you out on it

Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Papajin

Originally Posted by oman321
The sad part is she has had other folks in there helping her in trying to get this rolling. When I go in and see their work and what they have done to brand new work stations she bought I simply shake my head in disgust.

Sometimes it seems like "professionals" no longer have pride in their work. That indeed is quite sad. I mean just looking around my townhouse, there's soooo many poorly crafted, built, installed, whatevered things, it's not even funny.

I almost prefer DIY simply because while I may be clueless about the right way to do a lot of things, at the end of the day, I always seem to end up with something that looks decent and I'm proud to have in my house. The fact I can say I did it myself is a bonus! Like the old saying goes... If you want it done right... sometimes you just gotta do it yourself.

Today, 07:15 PM
oman321
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Papajin
Like the old saying goes... If you want it done right... sometimes you just gotta do it yourself.

Amen to that brother.

I got tired of having to watch out for the work of the people I was hiring. Afterwards I would either need to have them fix it again or I had to fix it myself anyways. Kind'a defeats the purpose of hiring someone to do it in the first place. Plus I get to save on the labor and buy myself needed tools
post #83 of 1056 Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Item 1 is off the list, woo hoo. Here are some images of my curved stage step.

The long angled piece of the frame against the stage was put in place first. Then the rest of pieces were added to it starting with one of the center 2x3 pieces and then the curved 2x3 to the side of the stage.

I then added a couple of more 2x3 pieces for top supports. To secure down the front part of the steps (since the back was already secured in the first step) I added those horizontal pieces along the curve. Screwed from the front then through the top. Then I repeated the whole thing on the right side.

The tops being applied in the following steps were actually done before anything else. This allowed me to trace out the step and then create the proper recess and curve for the steps frame.

All in all I was very pleased with how it turned out, as was the Mrs. when she saw it. As many times as I've explained it to her and I have shown her my snazzy drawings up above I think it kicks in when she finally sees it in person
post #84 of 1056 Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Very nice man, very nice! Love that curved stage!

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #85 of 1056 Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #86 of 1056 Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I started item 2 of my goals list. No pics yet, but I have hung up the front left side of the soffit. I need to duplicate this on the right and then attach 2x3's from the front of the soffit to the back of the wall, where I have already hung a 2x3 going the width of the wall.

RPH who else has joined us in your August Goals challenge? I know there was at least one other, but I haven't seen it since the data loss. Who's gonna step up?

Edited in goals for reference:
Goals:
1. Build curved stage step as seen on the diagram/layout above.
2. Build curved soffit for screen lights, also as seen on the lighting layout above.
3. Install and wire four 3" recessed lights for screen.
4. Build curved false screen wall.
5. Sheetrock curved soffit, compound, sand, prime and paint.

Stretch Goal:
6. Build curved screen frame, and paint.
7. Paint the false wall and stage area behind the false wall black.
post #87 of 1056 Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll jump in on the goals. Mine are pretty small though compared to yours, mainly due to a bleeding checkbook.

1. Hang and stain 2 remaining doors.
2. Build cabinet for screen wall.
3. Build and install fabric frame and cover for column.
4. Install HVAC registers.
post #88 of 1056 Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There we go.

Trust me I feel your pain as far as the checkbook goes. The curved section of the stage was built out of left over OSB from the riser. The 2X3's were from trying to raise the riser a little more as well, but ended up being removed.

Same thing for the first section of the curved soffit, except now I'm out of the OSB and need to buy another sheet. I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze in the 4 lights I need by the end of the month .
post #89 of 1056 Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh. I'm so far in now that anything under $100 seems to be a throw-away item. Now that I'm moving into the equipment stage, those individual purchases are starting to get pricey.

I remember the days when I could go spend $300 on a stage and riser and get a lot of bang for the buck
post #90 of 1056 Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Old

Liked: 10
Quote:

Close up of wall plate connections and component distribution amplifier.

I am distributing my DVR signal to the HT, Pool room, Living room and Master Bedroom. This allows me to view my cable and control my dvr in any of those room with my remote extender. I am also sending HDMI to the HT and pool room as this connection will likely be used for a PS3 and HD DVD (yes I'm holding on to my player, it does a damn good job at upconverting)

Great looking build so far. Keep up the good work.

I'm wondering, is that a component video matrix switch to the left?
if so, how is it working for you?
I'm looking for something that I can hook up my HD cable box to and send 3 outputs (2 TVs and projector) at the same time.

if purchased online, can you send me a link of where you bought that? Thank you
Old
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page