Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Old,

Thanks for the compliment.

I bought the unit your referring to from smarthome. Shows in stock right now, I had to wait about a month when I bought it last year.

They call it a "5 way Component Distribution Amplifier" 1 in 5 out. I've used it so far to hook up the projector and the Master bedroom set with the cable box which is in the living room. Previously I had done this with Y connectors, when I first connected it, it seemed to improve the image over using the Y connectors.

Ultimately the cable box will be in that closet and it will feed 4 sources Projector, MB, Rec Rm, & Living Rm. I'm glad it has a fifth out as I may add a small LCD by my concession area at some point down the road. Also another caveat is that it has, composite video, and coaxil for audio. This will aid in a monitor inside the closet as well as splitting subwoofer connection for bass shakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Old

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the link and information. This sounds like it will work for I'm doing. thanks again.

Old
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for a picture update.

This is the curved soffit I am working on which is part of the proscenium. The first couple of pics are of the left side which I had put up last week.

Then the right side, you can see 12/2 wire which is going to the GE for the 3" recessed lights which will be housed in the soffit. The blue wire on the left is PELV wire also going to the GE. This is for a GRX-CIR-WH basically a IR interface which gets recessed into the ceiling.

Then I added 2X3's for the cross section to secure it all together and for drywall. Still need to attach these to the left side though.

Getting a couple of folks in this week to measure for carpeting and give me some estimates, also my chairs should be shipping this week so the pressure is on. That's ok though I guess I tend to work well under pressure.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oman, I love what you did with your curved soffit, it looks awesome!!! Makes me which I could have curved my stage soffit as well, but when you see how my room is you will understand why I went the safe route and did traditional square soffits. I should hopefully have some pics up by this weekend, the drywall guy is coming out to tape/mud tomorrow, and move that sheetrock around the stage cans. So I should start cleaning and moving debree out so I can paint the ceiling and soffits over the weekend and take some pretty pictures for everyone. Anyways, room looks great man, I cant wait to see it finished!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you plan on doing with the blue 2x4's mounted onto the ceiling in post number 93? This caught my attention, because I was thinking about possibly adding such a 2x4 frame myself and mounting a full sheet of drywall onto it in the center of the ceiling. Is this going to be a star ceiling?

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for chiming in damnsam77, I appreaciate it the feedback.

Glad your taking care of your lighting placement issue now. It's small things like that, which we miss that make a difference when your putting it all together at the end.

SatelliteGuy,

Yes, that frame is for a Star ceiling/skylight. It is actually made up of 2X3's. I actually have some details and pics about it on the first page in post 23, but instead of using sheetrock I am using an inch thick insulation board that I found at Lowes. Very easy to cut and work with, yet sturdy enough to wrap in fabric. I was able to use an oversized needle to thread the fiber thru. I will be attaching trim and crown around the frame and insert that panel to give it the appearance of a skylight.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Nice looking! I don't think I'll have a high enough ceiling to that. Good work.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, every inch is critical thus part of the reason of going with dricore rather than trying to frame out a subfloor. With 3/8th drywall the front soffit should be the same thickness as the side soffits. The only time your really under it is if you get on the stage step or stage and it's still tall enough for me so it's good. Only time that will happen is when I need to fix, move, or rearrange something. My ceilings are about 7.5 feet tall.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I could fit in something very shallow just to give the illusion. I'm pretty sure the screen area will be under 7'5".

Tom Logan

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, I was more worried about the side soffits. That's why I had to make them basically mini soffits. They are only about 7" tall and 6.5" wide. I had my tallest friend come over to see how it was when he stepped onto the riser and he cleared it ok. This is also part of the reason why I went with the angled riser design in the front so that it would feel more natural stepping up towards the center of the riser vs. straight ahead. So far so good.

I just realized this was post #100 on my build thread. Major milestone as I had not even planned to do a build thread, glad I did though. It's great to document the build and have somewhere to exchange ideas. Big shout out and thanks to the AVS community for the support, comments, ideas and just general comradity.

Special shout out to Tom for the motivation...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That soffit looks sweet dude. Still too scary for me to attempt though. I'll stick with right angles
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jason,

I've sketched it out and pictured it in mind how I wanted to do it. Looked at a lot of photos of how others had done their soffits or proscenium's and still was unsure of how I would go about it. I was kind of dreading this stage (no pun) but now that I've done it, it wasn't that bad. Rather enjoyable, easily cut with a jigsaw once you figure out the curve you want.

The Mrs. thinks I'm crazy and over the top but she's been smiling when she see's my progess and says you got skilz... the guys are gonna hate you
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If the wives/girlfriends (anyone have both?) ever got together, they would have us all committed. I know mine thinks I'm crazy with how I overthink every single step of the build.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

I just realized this was post #100 on my build thread. Major milestone as I had not even planned to do a build thread, glad I did though. It's great to document the build and have somewhere to exchange ideas. Big shout out and thanks to the AVS community for the support, comments, ideas and just general comradity.

Special shout out to Tom for the motivation...

Documentation, Documentation, Documentation...I think I got that D-bug from work since I have to document every fix I come up with. But honestly, the extensive documentation on this forum and all the before and after and in-between photos are what make this forum so vital in helping new builders....I came here 4 months ago with absolutely no construction experience, and I have learned so much that I was able to frame my basement almost all on my own and pass rough inspection! This website and forum seriosuly made it possible for 100's of HT builders to start their projects on the right track. so needless to say I will be documenting my project as well.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Mrs. thinks I'm crazy and over the top but she's been smiling when she see's my progess and says you got skilz... the guys are gonna hate you

Oh we hate you...but in the best possible way
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Love the curved soffit.

I would have loved to do something like that in front to match the stage but the screen is going to be practically right up against the ceiling (3.5" border).
Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Love the curved soffit.

I would have loved to do something like that in front to match the stage but the screen is going to be practically right up against the ceiling (3.5" border).

Can't say that is a bad thing either
Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't say that is a bad thing either

rub it in there buddy I would have loved to have done that too....I guess it will be a good idea for my 2.0 Theater....thats probably in another 5-10 yrs if we ever move out of this house.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Slow down ds77 you better finish 1.0 before you even start thinking about 2.0. Besides if memory serves me right you screen size is gonna be pretty impresive as well

Now where is that build thread you've been promising. Yes we want to see your pics...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So officially I have completed my second item on my August goals. I need to rearrange some of the order though to ensure I build the proper sized space for the frame.

Revised Goals:
1. Build curved stage step as seen on the diagram/layout above.√
2. Build curved soffit for screen lights, also as seen on the lighting layout above.√

3. Sheetrock lower section of curved soffit.
4. Install and wire four 3" recessed lights for screen.
5. Sheetrock top section of soffit,compound, sand, prime and paint.
6. Build curved screen frame.

Stretch Goal:
7. Build curved false screen wall.
8. Paint the false wall, frame and stage area behind the false wall black.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

3. Sheetrock lower section of curved soffit.

You might want to consider stuffing it with insulation and covering with fabric instead of sheetrock for bass trapping. Either way, definitely fill with insulation to avoid creating a resonating drum.

Curve looks great, but you know I am biased.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's ok to be biased, and thanks.

I am planning on stuffing with insulation and in fact the plan is to only sheetrock the area foward of the curved false wall. A little more than half will be open in the back.

I still wanna use sheetrock as it will make it easier to do the 3" stage lights.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am planning on stuffing with insulation and in fact the plan is to only sheetrock the area foward of the curved false wall.

You might want to check that.

I seem to recall asking a very similar question but the adivce was to drywall the enitre room. I'll have to see if I can find it....it was advice from one of the big guys (one of the Brians, or Dennis...can't remember). But it seems as though best practices are changing, so it might be a good question to ask again.

PS - and thanks for the shout out!

Tom Logan

Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... Let me know if you find it. Now just in case you didn't realize this, the entire room is sheetrocked and the soffit is built underneath the sheetrock (not sure if you meant someone leaving that entire section of a room with no sheetrock at all). I have seen folks leave soffits or parts of risers open to serve as bass traps. So I was hoping this would be a partial benifit of doing this. Obviously though it would be easier to sheetrock the whole thing now, rather than later if it turns out to have i'll effects.

Reminds of last year when I did a temp setup for my son's B-day. No sheetrock yet, with insulation installed I lined the walls with a 100' roll of plastic(funny thing was that the cloth I got from Dave was similar in color, so I know it's gonna look good ) The acoustics sounded great (at least to me), major difference when I installed the sheetrock and later when I had the Super Bowl party last Feb.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My chairs are on the way, my chairs are on the way, hi ho a merry O my chairs are on the way

Scheduled to be delivered Monday.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Prepare to slow waaaaaay down. I spent 25 minutes today just sitting in my chairs and looking at the tape I had framed out to mock-up a screen on the wall.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My chairs are on the way, my chairs are on the way, hi ho a merry O my chairs are on the way

Scheduled to be delivered Monday.

Leave them in the box, leave them in the box, hi ho they will slooooow you down, leave them in the box.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph drew View Post

leave them in the box, leave them in the box, hi ho they will slooooow you down, leave them in the box.:d

lol
Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Prepare to slow waaaaaay down. I spent 25 minutes today just sitting in my chairs and looking at the tape I had framed out to mock-up a screen on the wall.

Kind of like when the electrician finished up... I spent 20 minutes just switching between the default scene settings on the Grafik Eye.

For the next few days, I had to cycle through the scenes at least once the first time I would enter the room that day and before I finished up.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear ya Jamis. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

"Are you in the basement?"
"yea"
"What are you doing down there"
"Just sitting in the seats and staring at the wall"
"It's pitch black down there"
"I know"