Breaking the rules theater build - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1056 Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Would like to update the thread with all the work I got done this weekend, however I actually went camping with the wife and kids, nephew, daughter's friend, my pops and stepmom. Had a great first time at this Jellystone, only about 30-35 minutes from my house. The Jellystone park we have gone to before was 3 hours away, so this was a breeze to get to.

Getting back early yesterday allowed for enough time to unpack, rest up and then go check out some carpet samples with the Mrs. I've had a couple of folks out to measure up the room, one guy which just does the labor and I get the carpet. Then another guy who owns a carpet store. I still have to get out to the carpet store to see what he can offer and at what cost, but if I go with the labor guy I think I can get it done for a pretty good price.

I'll see if I can snap some pics tonight of the samples I have at home so far, after I get to play with the chairs for a little while of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1056 Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, again I would like to update the thread saying that I got my seats and everything is good to go, but alas I have some issues. 2 of my seats have damage on the bottom which will need to be addressed. I am in communication with Roman who promises to do everything he can to take care of me. We will see what develops, trying to keep my cool but it is really fustrating.
post #123 of 1056 Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Youch.... Sorry to hear your troubles. Hopefully Roman will come through as others have said. I told you opening the box would slow you down...

Hey, fustration is finishing something that is difficult or impossible to go back and change. Fixing some chairs is very do-able and shouldn't cost you anything. Keep you chin up and your eyes on the target.

I just watched a movie on my wife's 15" flat panel over the tub. I had to work all weekend and over 11 hours today and I am tired... About half way through I was thinking... Man, I am watching a movie on a 15"... Got to finish that theater...

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #124 of 1056 Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, I gotta keep it in perspective. It's a material item which can be taken care of.

Me and the Mrs. chilled and watched some tv. Then we looked at our carpet samples again and made some decisions on the paint.

Other than the minor issues, the seats are really nice. The curve on the arm isn't as pronounced as I thought it would be. It felt really comfy and the power recline is really nice. Had the Mrs. check it out and it brought a smile to her face when she was reclining and she expressed how comfy it was, then started calling down the kids to check it out That's the reaction I wanted...
post #125 of 1056 Old 08-26-2008, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news on the chairs front.

Roman has ordered me 2 new chairs which have cosmetic issues in the lower sections of the arms. I am extremely pleased with the service and quick response from Roman. He immediately moved to take care of me and I can't ask for anything more. I highly recommend him and his company as others have done on this and other sites.
post #126 of 1056 Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I have been measuring and lining out a curve for my false wall as this is the basis for the curved screen as well and it will make it easier to actually cover the foward section of the wall with sheetrock. This has been more difficult for whatever reason to do vs. the curved soffit and stage step, but I think I have it licked.

I ended up using some left over foam boards that I had to try and create a template of the line I had drawn out for the OSB pieces I needed to cut out. I used the template to draw my line and proceeded to cut out 3.75" piece of curved osb the full 8' length of the board. Of course it was off ever so slightly toward the middle of this curved piece. However I was able to salvage the work done by using it for the other side of my stage and cutting down the piece to be the length of half the stage.

Then I was able to make the other half and I have the beginning of a curved false wall. Funny thing was the pieces wern't lining up with the soffit up above. I should have been able to just lift the pieces up and they should line up to the same 18" line I had drawn as a measuring point, but it wasn't lining up. The pieces were curving past each other when they met at the middle. Left it alone and thought about it, one of those thing that drive you nuts.

Well, I had a little time before going to work this morning. Tried checking again, hadn't changed overnight still same problem. Check again with the measuring tape, yup the line I drew is at 18".

Dohhhh!!! wait a minute I'm putting the pieces in front of the line up above, below I'm putting them behind the line where it should be. Move it behind the line and it's good to go. Another one of those can't see the forest for the trees moment.
post #127 of 1056 Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Revised Goals:
1. Build curved stage step as seen on the diagram/layout above.√
2. Build curved soffit for screen lights, also as seen on the lighting layout above.√
3. Sheetrock lower section of curved soffit.√
4. Install and wire four 3" recessed lights for screen.√
5a. Sheetrock top section of soffit,compound, √

5b. Sand, prime and paint. (did not get to)
6. Build curved screen frame.(did not get to)

Stretch Goal:
7. Build curved false screen wall.(half √)
8. Paint the false wall, frame and stage area behind the false wall black.
post #128 of 1056 Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well August has come and gone. While I did'nt get to finish all of my objectives on my goals list I am quite pleased with everything that I did accomplish considering the lack of time that I had. I didn't get to start the screen frame but I have about half of my false wall built. I want to probably build my screen frame next so that I can ensure a perfect fit.

I left my camera at home but I have some pics of my progress that I'll be posting in the next day or so. Goals list was edited above.

I was wondering what most of you use for black paint for. To many fumes with spray paint in such an enclosed space now. I'm sure I can probably get a small can of latex just thought I'd ask.
post #129 of 1056 Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I would just roll it on with a 3 or 4" roller. I was planning on using my Mouse Ear black for mine.
post #130 of 1056 Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
were you thinking of spray painting the screen frame? I agree with the previous post, roller should be fine in that case.

If you are talking about the wall, then also, roller is fine.

Or were you asking about color mix.

I can't keep up!

And you will love the sheerweave. at least I think you will. I ordered enough to tilt mine, but once I received I tested it without tilt and it perfomed fine. i ended up tilting it simply because I already spent the money for the material. Just be sure to paint your screen frame black, or use black fabric, very important.

I can win a game of connect four in three moves.

Room V Theater Construction Thread

The Game Grid
post #131 of 1056 Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was referring to the actual space behind the false wall including the stage floor, false wall itself and the screen frame.

I should actually say the left and right sides of the walls behind the false wall as the plan is to line the center wall (width of the room) with linacoustic. If I had to I can spray the screen frame outside, depends how everything else comes out.

I had to spray my 3" gimbal lights and my GRX-CIR this weekend and the finish came out really nice. I only need to do the inside part of my screen frame as the foward facing trim will be lined with velvet. As you probably know the Sheerweave material can be lit from behind which is the plan to showcase speakers and give that wow factor.
post #132 of 1056 Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I painted the wall that will be covered by the screen wall with the same stuff I did the ceiling... Sherwin Williams Tricon Black (matte finish). I forget the exact paint type, though.

I have been using a combo of that same paint as above and flat black spray paint for various components that will be situated behind the screen.
post #133 of 1056 Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pics as promised,

This is a pic of the sheetrock added to lower section of the soffit and the lights is place.

Lights on

From the front

With the rest of the sheetrock in place, light trims removed so they can be sprayed black.

Lower section of curved false wall. Hard to tell from the pics but the false wall is 18" away from the center of the back wall and curves out to about 24" at the sides.

That's it for now. Hopefully I can sand and paint that area and move on to the screen frame next so I can finish up the false wall.
post #134 of 1056 Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good.

So, will you basically attach the actual screen frame to the false wall and bottom of the soffit?
post #135 of 1056 Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Their will be about 13.5" to either side of the screen frame and about4-5" above the frame. The plan so far is hopefully have it slide right in that space and have the trim overlap by about 1/4 of an inch so it doesn't go past.
post #136 of 1056 Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just hung my screen today.

With the SMX screen, it only attaches at the top using a mounting rail (almost like a long french cleat). The bottom of the screen just rests against the bottom of my false wall (the GOM wrapped panel actually).

It would be very impressive to see your screen just slide into place like that. No plans for latches or screws or something else to hold it securely?
post #137 of 1056 Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the bottom of the screen weighted? From what you stated, it sounds like the bottom of the screen is free swinging?
post #138 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Work in progress here guys, I tossed a couple of ideas in my head of how to secure it to the false wall. It would rest right on top to the false wall so not really free swinging but not really secured to anything. I want something simple so that I can easily remove if I need to get back there for anything. The 13.5" at either side is gonna be tough to get in and maneuver from. So the thing would be to have to have access through the sides to remove whatever clamping system holds the screen. Worst comes to worst I can probably just put some screws right into the the false wall frame at either side. I've also seen a couple of folks simply friction fit their screens but this would probably have me worried all the time.

Hmmm... clamps. The clamps I used to hold the bottom of my temp setups, actually held up pretty good over time with no loss in resistance. I had them in place more that a few months. I know I've seen mini versions of the one's I've used and these might just fit the bill. I'll just have a new set of mini clamps if they don't work out.
post #139 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Could you maybe use hinges across the top to allow the screen to pivot up enough for you to get behind it if you ever needed to? I'm envisioning how a car hood opens when I say this.
post #140 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll have to see if this is a possibility as well. I have thought about something like that as well, but in my mind I find that the bottom would interfere with the swing??? not sure hopefully I'll know for sure before the end of month
post #141 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

You wouldn't have to swing it to a full 90 degrees. Just enough to get behind there if you needed to.
post #142 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya that's might thought also, just hard to see if the bottom edge of the screen can go past the top edge of the lower false wall section. One of those things you wont know for sure until it's done and you can try it.

Mrs. stepped up last night. Most of my weekend was occupied helping my sister finish out some stuff in her salon which is supossed to get inspected today. Plumbing, electrical, HVAC registers etc... so don't get it twisted Jason... I had picked up some black paint for behind the false wall. She hooked it up for me. She did the false section which is up and the floor behind it. Getting home last night about 11:30 PM I thought I was to tired to go check it out. Once I took a shower I had to go see it, she did a great job. Nothing tough about it, but it's the thought of doing it for me that I really appreciate.
post #143 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice. My wife has painted or stained virtually every door in our house. I may actually surprise HER by staining one while she's gone this week

No worries on the "helping setup the salon", as long you don't post a pic of your mug on here with a new perm
post #144 of 1056 Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #145 of 1056 Old 09-12-2008, 08:34 AM

Liked: 10
Looking good man. I'm shamelessly stealing some of your ideas.

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods
Javadoc's Theater Build
post #146 of 1056 Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks and go for it, some stuff I have done is original but most is borrowed from mostly others on this forum. That's what it's all about...
post #147 of 1056 Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cancel Christmas I've been naughty...

Saturday night the Mrs. was going to Fenway with my daughter. My daughter had never been and my wife promised she would take her the next time she got tickets. So it was just me and the boy and I had earlier in the day picked up The Forbidden Kingdom. So what is a guy to do when it's just him and the boy? I'll tell ya, you break out the projector and speakers and watch some kung fu on the big screen .

Threw up a bedsheet attached to the exposed section of my screenwall, brought another recliner down and there we were in all our glory with great 7.1 surround sound. Man the bass was thumping, double up .

My wife got to check out the movie last night and it just confirmed to her how the project has been worth it and she's eager for us to finish it. She also said how the chairs make it all the more enjoyable. It'll be tough to ever want to go out to the movies again, which is fine with me.

No worries, it all has to be put away for those who think I'll never be done now. Carpet should be in this week so I knew this would force me to break it back down again. It only took me 40 minutes to set it all up (a new record), so definately worthwhile. It also gave me the chance to test out the riser height and the ability to fully view the screen. As I suspected it's just clipping off the bottom of the screen by peoples heads. I will be adding a mini riser 43.5" deep from the back wall of 2x4's and 3/4"osb just to raise the seats. I was able to test this with some 2x4 scraps which raised it only 3" and it mostly solved the issue, the new mini riser will raise the seats by 4.25" which should safely adress the issue.
post #148 of 1056 Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh the bed sheet screen... I know many say this is cheating but once in a while I think it gives you a little kick in the pants to motiviate you to finish... provided you put it back away of course.

I pulled mine out again to work on the size stage I wanted and wouldn't you know, it was just soooo easy to hook up and old receiver and two cheap speakers...

Gladiator rocks on the big screen.. make that big black wall.

Sat in an office chair but I made it through the movie...

Speaking of Christmas, lets just try to be done by then.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #149 of 1056 Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Speaking of Christmas, lets just try to be done by then.

The current goal is to fully have the HT in complete and operating condition for Thanksgiving, not necessarily the rest of the basement but hopefully the HT. The toughest part about that at this point will be the fabric panels. Here's to wishful thinking...
post #150 of 1056 Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for an overdue update.

Here are some pics of the additional 4.25" riser added to the top of my 10.5 riser. With the addition of this mini riser it comfortably allows me to raise up my back row of seats to allow viewers to see over the top of peoples heads in the front row and see the bottom of the screen.

Also you will notice that tack strips have been added by my carpet guy Dave whos getting ready to carpet the room and steps leading down to the basement.

Stage with tack strips

Now to the good stuff. The following pics are with and without flash, the pics without the flash are closer to the color of the carpet but typically come out blury, reason why I post both.

The stage ended up being a major struggle, and while it is a small area/section it ate up a good chunk of the day. We had to dis-assemble the front step because the staple gun wouldn't fit to tack from underneath. Once taken apart the upper portion was carpeted and the top of the step was carpeted from the front while off and then re-secured once the frame was put back in place. All in all it turned out great.

Here are some angle shots on the riser so you can see some better detail

I took the liberty of putting back the chairs which were out already and since I really didn't need to rip all the equipment back down we got to enjoy a movie last night (Shhhh!! don't tell RPh)

A couple of quick shots of the steps

Again just trying to show the difference between flash no flash.

That's the update, while we were a little worried about the solid color and combination, we are quite pleased and excited with how it turned out.

I gotta say my guy Dave did a great job with the install. First time he's done a dedicated theater room and while I threw a couple of curve balls at Dave with the added mini riser, the low stage and riser steps he took it all in stride and made it work. If any local guys in Mass or RI need carpeting installed for a fair price with quality service I highly recommend his services. Here is a link to some examples of his work.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page