Breaking the rules theater build - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Made some progress last night. Need to get some velvet to get'er done. Hoping to find something at Jo-ann's this weekend, if not I have a couple of on-line alternatives.

So I got to assemble the basic structure. I attached the 1X4's to the horizontal pieces as I described above. Then I attached the vertical frame pieces.
The first side attached.

Other side attached and stood up to see how stable it was and get the actual finished height.

Laying back down with the side border pieces on. They are not attached as I want to get the velvet first so I can best figure out how to wrap.

Won't get to do much in the next couple of days, but Friday night I hope to secure the screen track and by Saturday get the velvet, quite possible that it will be done by the end of the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything is looking good! Do you have to run a special lens or projector for a curved screen? That will look pretty sweet when it is all done!!!

Number of trips to the Hardware Store: Can't count that high!

Sunbeam Cinema Build Thread
post #183 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks jjmj427,

Basic 16:9 projector with a anamorphic lens (will stretch the image horizontally by 33%). I have an Epson HC400 which does not do vertical stretch which is required to get rid of black bars on a 2:35 image. So I picked up a KeyDigital HDMI4x1 which offers image scaling as well as switching (the older model, new only offers switching).

I am making my own lens with prisms which I bought a while back. They come from Surplus Shed are made of BK7 glass and offer coatings on the sides to help reduce reflections.

This is a thread I started when I first got them in the 2:35 DIY section if you want more info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=889863
post #184 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Your screen is looking very impressive. Love the curve.

And a DIY lens? Talk about hardcore. You are much braver (and skilled) than I.

The wife decided that the SmX screen was a good idea after it was done (even with the price). The curved SmX was out of the question though.

After we put it together, she didn't think I could have made something that looked nearly as clean (at least without major injury and a few weeks time) and she is probably right. I'm too impatient and as such my finish and detail work suffers.
post #185 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jamis,

When I first started out my whole budget for the entire build including the rest of the basement was 10k. I knew then I was gonna be doing a lot of stuff DIY. Well that budget came and went but I'm probably at about 16-18K including the seats.

I've had many ideas of how to make my screen and initially I was thinking metal frame that I could try and get from a local metal fabricator, but I saw a few folks over in the 2:35 section making their own frames out of wood with good results. I knew I could work with that and figured for short money I could give it a whirl.

The most nerve wracking part was trying to make the curve as smooth as possible on the 2X8's with the jigzaw. Once I got past that it's been getting easier. Nice to finally get it out of my head and into something physical.

I definately know where your coming from as far as being impatient, especially with painting, hate it the wife usually does all the cutting.
post #186 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had poor luck with my jig saw cutting anything thicker than 3/4" ply. Usually the blade bends and gives the cut an angle. Not sure if its the saw, blades, or user error.

At least with the 1x4 on the front, it helps smooth everything out nicely.
post #187 of 1056 Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On my initial cut I had some of that with the blade in some areas. I stayed away from the line a bit though because of that and to make sure I wouldn't stray the wrong way. I easily shaved it closer and took care of any angles with the hand plane. Slow and steady with other pieces and really wasn't an issue. The 1x4's definately work out the rest of the imperfections, can't wait to get it done and take it for a test drive.
post #188 of 1056 Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 AM

The DIY Curved frame is coming along nicely. Just a quick question: How are you planing on mounting the screen material to the frame?

Adam
post #189 of 1056 Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, the plan is to use some vinyl screen track from Lowe's,also available at HD. This is the type screen track you use to enclosed a screened room or 3 season porch common here in New England. Being vinyl it is flexible and it has two channels in order to spline the screen material into. I will try to spline first the outermost channel, then the inside channel to add more tension and make sure the material in nice and tight.

The second channel could also probably be used to add a layer of material in case the phifer allows thru unwanted reflections.
post #190 of 1056 Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally found something online of what the track looks like.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...n/PchScrn.html

http://images.lowes.com/general/p/porchscreeninst1.jpg

Look at the last 3 pictures on the link. The first 2 show the screen track, the last one is a cover decorative purposes which I am not using.

Edit found a picture by itself and also another source for the track with a picture at an angle as if your looking at it from the top edge, with the cap above it.
http://cj.shop.com/SCREEN_TIGHT_BASE...21.shtml?trk=1
As you can see in this latest pic the screen material would normally come from either side, but I'll be splining the phifer into both grooves from the same side.
post #191 of 1056 Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Thanks jjmj427,

Basic 16:9 projector with a anamorphic lens (will stretch the image horizontally by 33%). I have an Epson HC400 which does not do vertical stretch which is required to get rid of black bars on a 2:35 image. So I picked up a KeyDigital HDMI4x1 which offers image scaling as well as switching (the older model, new only offers switching).

I am making my own lens with prisms which I bought a while back. They come from Surplus Shed are made of BK7 glass and offer coatings on the sides to help reduce reflections.

This is a thread I started when I first got them in the 2:35 DIY section if you want more info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=889863

Thanks for the information! I have been reading through it and got through about 2 pages. Very good information on the lenses. So do you have all the bugs worked out of the anamorphic lenses? Would you recommend the DIY route as compared to the time spent setting it up?

Cheers,
JJ

post #192 of 1056 Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If your at all handy it is definately worth the time. It really didn't take much time at all to create my enclousre for setup and testing. In less than a weeks time after work, I was able to make a horizontal expansion and a vertical compression enclosure. I still have it in pieces because I wanted to store away the prisms while I finished my room's construction. I will shortly be making a new enclosure because the first time around I used hobby wood which was a little thinner than I would have preferred. Next I'll use 1" thick lumber.

I had very good success and results with the prisms. With My long throw helped to get everything squared up pretty good. I know some folks in that thread had some issues, but for the cost of these prism's they are tuff to beat as long as they fit your projectors beam. The coating on them is excellent. I placed one of the prism's on it's side in front of the projectors beam to see the amount of light reflection shinning thru and their was nothing but a black shadow showing on the temporary screen I had at the time. I had my projector on a box on top of a chair, the lens had to be tilted to square things up, other then that no major problems.

Got me all excited now, need to get my screen done so I can get my lens back in action to watch a movie.
post #193 of 1056 Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Interesting about the long throw being an asset. If/when I take a crack at v 2.0, I am going to be a real short throw, so I have been avoiding looking at 2.35 stuff. Kind of the answer I expected.

Looking good. . .
post #194 of 1056 Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Dave, thanks for dropping by the thread. Hope all is well with the new baby, mom and the big sister. How's the new job and neighborhood treating ya?

Actually my throw is close to 1.6X the screen width. I know some len's work best with a minimum throw of 1.6 but they're ways around that. I think I could have gone with a straight screen with that throw, but really like how a curved screen looks. A curved screen helps with the pincushion that results with a shorter throw. So don't let it hold you back, at least not till you know for sure it won't work. I know it a ways off but, if know already, how far would your projector be and what size screen are you thinking of?

Working on the screen some more today, starting to really come together. Hope it will be done soon. Snapping some pics off to post later on. Went looking for velvet yesterday, Jo-ann's was supposed to have a 40-60% off sale on just about everything in the store. Unfortunately the velvet wasn't on sale. They had a basic velvet for $10.99 a yard which was ok. Then they had some other velvet which was called Empress velvet I believe. That stuff was awesome, it was silky smooth, wrinkle free, looked to be on par with Fidelio velvet I believe it was made by American Eagle. However, the cost was definately a factor $24.99 a yard, and I just had a hard time wanting to spend that without getting some sort of discount so I passed.

On the way back to the highway their is a Super Wal-Mart so the wife said lets stop and see what they might have in their fabric dept. I thought it was worth it to take a look.. After looking around for a few minutes and getting ready to just about give up, my wife found some velvet. This velvet seemed very nice, not as nice as the Empress but somewhat nicer then the $10.99 velvet from Jo-ann's. The kicker is, it was only $5.75 a yard . Man I love getting a good deal.
post #195 of 1056 Old 10-12-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Things are great here.

My designated space is just under 12x14, and I need to project on the wider wall (shorter throw). After framing, an AT screen, speakers, and the projector itself, I am working with something like 9-9.5 feet of throw. My seating (one row only) would be a similar distance. Using the 3x screen height rule of thumb for viewing comfort, and I'd be looking at around 100" diagnol for a 2.35 screen.

Using a wishlist PJ, like the Sony SXRD, and some one said for a lens shortens the throw (maybe HE only? not looked into it) as follows: 1.78/2.35* Factory Throw Distance. Looks possible. In fact desireable given the small size of the room, and the orientation width-wise.

Interesting stuff. I think it goes on the list.

Interesting about the velvet. I seem to remember choking on it and going for the impress stuff.
post #196 of 1056 Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Oman321 - thought I'd take a look at your thread since you were nice enough to look at mine. Looking really good! I know how it is with balancing the work time on the theater and the movie/family time once you have the seats in and the screen up. In fact it's the reason my 1st build kind of petered off into... I am going to work in the theater or I am going to have a beer and watch a movie.... movie won out a lot. I am very determined this time to get every little detail done.

I have been planning on doing something similar to what you did on your back seat riser, and just raise the Berklines up a few inches. My riser was built when my screen wasn't nearly so big... I am ok now with the real theater seats I have in my 1st row, as it is now, but eventually I have been wanting to get a leather reclining sofa set-up, and the back of that will surely be higher. So it was nice to see a picture of one done. I just have to see if I have enough scrap carpet to cover the front of it, or if I will need to order some more...

Anyway, keep it up, I am having a Halloween party, so that is my current deadline. I just have finishing work to do... but it all takes time... especially when you squeeze a movie in now and then.

I need to make my signature say - but it's only $100 more... (seems like I say that thousands of times... oh, wait I do).
post #197 of 1056 Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sweet Dave, hope it works out for ya.

Thanks for dropping in Brian D,

As far as balancing time out for work and enjoyment of the room, its not bad at all. I'm motivated to get it done, in fact enjoying a movie in it here and there kin'da get's me going again cause I wanna get to that point of seeing everything that it can be.

I'm gonna watch movies anyhow so why not on the big screen if I can, also my kids can have friends over to chill out and enjoy it to.

The added mini riser has been working out great. I wasn't sure till after I got the seats if I was gonna need it or not and it was close but it has paid off doing it. It's not at all ackward either sitting into the chairs perfectly natural.

Been working on the screen today, got it up in fact with the help of my youngest. Daddy's girl but she aint no joke she's one tough cookie and hung in there the entire time I was splinning in the screen material, probably couldn't get it done without her. Best $5.00 I've spent in the whole project . I'll Post some pics tomorrow.
post #198 of 1056 Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
NICE! That's the first DIY curved screen that I've seen.

Excellent work.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #199 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks CJ,

The results are in, and while there is one thing I would have changed (more on that later) I am extremely pleased with the screen, as is the Mrs. and my buddy who came over last night to see Iron Man. He was holding out to get the whole experience in the HT .

Started off by painting the inside and backside of the frame so their wouldn't be any reflections.

Then I used these corner braces to help shore up the corners of the border. I figured it would also be a good way to secure the side border pieces after they were wrapped instead of making it permanent with liquid nails and trim nails, especially since this area has no curve.

After this I started to secure the screen track pieces to the horizontal pieces of the border. No need to staple them as I thought I might need to do. They held just fine when splining the screen.

Then it was time to wrap it with velvet. What I would have done differently is to have wrapped the velvet before securing the screen track like I did with the vetical pieces. Unfortunately with the bottom piece of the screen if you go up to it you can see some staples and areas where the velvet was trimmed. Would've been a non issue if it was wrapped first and I then secured the track. I'll hopefully should be able to solve this with a thin velvet wrapped filler piece.

The vertical pieces i did while off the frame, then put in place for fit and finish.

The bottom was wrapped and the vertical pieces were secured with the corner braces. This is the point I got to on Sunday night.

Monday after running a few errands I was able to get to the good part. I bought the 63" material vs. the 98" but I tried to angle the fabric as much as I could. No biggie as my projector is only 720P but I thougt I would try in case I ever go 1080P. My original idea was to spline the first outermost row of the track and then spline the second row to make the screen tight, but I really didn't need to as the screen was very tight in most areas and only needed to respline a couple of areas. Splinnig the second row wouldn't have helped the problem areas.
Front of the screen

Back of the screen mostly trimmed off except the top. There's a couple of waves you can see on the left, this is mostly because there is no supports in the middle and the material splinned naturally pulls down on the frame. This is a non issue though when the screen is mounted. The space the screen goes into is about 1/8-1/4" bigger than the frame, I'm using mini clamps to secure the screen, this helps the frame to be pulled nice and taught removing any waves.

Now with the screen put in place, room was dark but flash was lighting it up:

No flash:

Watched Iron Man (again) with my friend zoomed out to fill most of the screen. The picture looked great, no complaints at all with the material, I gotta rebuild my lens to get the full effect.
post #200 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic work man, love the screen, I bet it great watching Iron man on it!

Very nice.

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #201 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, second time watching since it came out on DVD still love it. Lot of great scenes which get the subwoofer going.
post #202 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM

Liked: 11
That screen turned out great! Strong work my friend . How did you mount it to the wall?

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #203 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Oman,

What size screen did you end up going with and how far back is the seating? Looks very similar to what I'm planning except that my screen won't be curved and my speakers will all be below the screen.
post #204 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster View Post

That screen turned out great! Strong work my friend . How did you mount it to the wall?

Thanks. The soffit, upper section of the false wall is open in the back just stuffed with insulation. I have OSB screwed there which follows the same radius of the small half wall then sheetrock foward of that. The screen was simply placed on the lower section leaving a small gap above. Right now I have a couple of 1X3 pieces filling some of that gap until I do something more permanent. With the 1X3's in place though it leaves about 1/4" gap. Then I use a set of these mini clamps to secure the frame from above first, pulling up the frame with the long part going up. Then another set to pull the frame down, batta boom-batta bing screen is in place. Very easily removeable if need be.
post #205 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Oman,

What size screen did you end up going with and how far back is the seating? Looks very similar to what I'm planning except that my screen won't be curved and my speakers will all be below the screen.

I went with 110" <----> wide screen, or 119.5" diag. screen, rounded up 120" . My first row of seats are right at about 10', a little more when reclined. My second row is 16'. I have very good vision and just about can make out the holes in the screen material from the 1st row but not bad. With an image up it looks great. My projector zoomed out that much though was putting it to the test. When the lens is in place I shouldn't need to zoom at all so it should make for a sharper picture.
post #206 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you think about the viewing distance from the first row? I'll have to measure again, but I think I initially taped off something like a 125" wide area. I'll probably scale it down a little, but it seemed really comfy viewing from the back row. Pretty much as big as I could go on the wall
post #207 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

One other thing - I noticed that your screen width is pretty close to the wall width. Was that what determined your screen size (i.e. Would you have gone bigger if the walls were a little wider??) ?
post #208 of 1056 Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watching Iron Man last night on it felt great, wasn't like I had to pan my head or anything, just totally engulfed in the movie. My daughter and friend were also pleased, we were all in the front row. Need to check it out from the back row for visual effect.

What really detemined the screen size was a couple of things. First anything bigger than a 100" 16:9 image my wife felt was a little to overwhelming and didn't like it. So this way the 16:9 image is roughly 90". Secondly 90" was the smallest image I could get from my projector at the distance it is placed at which is in the soffit over second row seating.

So to sum it all up, I felt perfectly comfy in the 1st row. Should be even better in the second row and the Mrs. shouldn't have a problem because she prefers the loveseat back there.
post #209 of 1056 Old 10-15-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

One other thing - I noticed that your screen width is pretty close to the wall width. Was that what determined your screen size (i.e. Would you have gone bigger if the walls were a little wider??) ?

I guess I didn't really answer this question. I would only go bigger if my room were also deeper 21-22' besides being wider. As it is now I think I'm at the envelopes edge but that's a good place to be...
post #210 of 1056 Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM

The screen wall is looking killer! Man, now you have me thinking of redoing my whole screen wall. I can't remember, did you go with the SMX screen? If you don't mind, could you PM me and let me know how much the material actually goes for?

I am using a 120" 16:9 image now and sitting at about 12' away from the screen in our first row. I was debating on going to the size or a tad bigger if I were to redo the screen wall. I have a Panny AX-100U mounted around 12' to 13' away from the screen. Would the projector need to be mounted back farther to use the lenses that you purchased? I am trying to get my head around the other thread you have in the 2.35 DIY section.

Cheers,
JJ

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page