Zin's Place - Construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea it's another one, but they are so useful :-).

I started my build 2.5 years ago (well that's when I finished off the basement anyway. Didn't have the time/resources to complete the theater so the room has set unfinished since then. I putz now and then down there and finally back in November I figured it was time to make good on my threats. I figured I'd just do my own thing, but between the whole getting "Loganed" and the desire to get others opinions I'm starting my thread.

CURRENT STATUS
Actually redoing my design to eliminate the back columns see drawing below, I'm just too space challenged to give up the room. I'll just put the speakers into the wall.

I just finished up some mockup drawings of the space. The colors are all wrong and this is just the first design which I'm trying to figure out if I like or not.. Still looking around to see how other folks have finished off their rooms. The drawings are sure nice for space planning though. Especially in trying to decide between 6 and 7 chairs. I don't have enough room to allow the back row to recline all the way but I still may do power recliners in the back and just try to figure out the electronics to stop them early. We'll see. My room dimensions are 15'.25 deep x 14.5 wide. Far from ideal, but I enlisted DE way back in 2005. I call him about 2x a year. I'm sure he's getting sick of it by now wondering why the heck I haven't finished yet.

Here is what I started with.

First thing I needed to do was get rid of those stupid little walls. So I replaces them with an I beam while we were finishing the basement. The beam weighs about 400 pounds, but it was well worth it.

Did 2x6 staggered stud construction around the theater also did a dedicated HVAC unit for the theater and ran the ductwork.

Once the rest of the space was complete I did start messing around running wire and such, but back in November I finally got around to doing the RCIS-1 clips and hat channel in the ceiling and put in the lighting.

In the back of the room I have a little AV closet that I can get to from the Utility room. Unfortunately once I put a rack in there I'm not going to pass code as far as clearance in front of my sub-panel so I relocated that a couple weeks ago about 6 feet to the right.

More to come.

-Z

My theater build isn't going slow, I'm just pacing myself until technology catches up with me.

Zin's Place - Construction
More Construction Photo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2.5 years! Don't feel bad, my theater was scheduled to be completed by September 2007 and I still don't even have drywall installed.

You did a great job so far and are off to a good start. I hope to see more progress and additional pictures soon.

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
post #3 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Heh thanks. I was all ready to put up drywall when I started doing drawings and came to the conclusion that my back columns just had to go. I was already using in-walls in the columns so I decided to just put them into the back wall instead and open up my seating options. Having to find seating that was X" wide and what I wanted was a pain. Now I have too many options. I'll get more pics up later this week showing wiring, insulation and additional framing. I need to move a couple of studs so I have spaces in the right spots for the back surrounds then I should be ready for sheetrock.

-Z

My theater build isn't going slow, I'm just pacing myself until technology catches up with me.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

The other major change I made this past week was moving away from an AT screen. I really wanted to do it all, but again I'm trying to maximize my space and doing speakers behind my screen just ate up too much real estate. Here's what I plan now.

Another item on the chopping block is the curved screen. I'd really like to do a masking system, but doing a curved screen really limits my options and increases the price a fair amount. Again we'll see.

-Z

post #5 of 22 Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

And another design, which I like better. The other was a bit too busy I think.

post #6 of 22 Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well I moved on to insulating. For the walls I just did normal bats, but that just wasn't going to cut it for the ceiling. Too many wires/pipes/duct to really get any effective insulation in so I opted to have Icerene blown in. Definately not the the cheapest option... well actually it might be the most expensive option, but in the end I think it will be worth it. I had him coat the underside of the floor above and then fill in from ceiling to deck above the walls surrounding the theater room effectively sealing off the space form the rest of the basement.

I taped up my screen. That's representing a 100" wide screen. I think I"m going to up it to 110" since I've moved away from the AT screen. Since I'm not putting speakers behind my screen I added about 8-10" to my viewing distance. If it ends up being to big (heh yea right) I can always mask it back down.

post #7 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm going back and forth on an AT screen. Originally the design was to do a 100" wide AT screen, but with the limited depth of my room I'm trying to figure out if I should just go to a non AT screen like I show in the drawing. The other benefit of going with a non AT screen (besides cost) is that I could probably go to 110" wide screen.

So downside is that the speakers aren't directly behind the screen, upside is more throw distance allowing for a larger screen and less $'s. Anyone have comments or been in a similar situation?

Thanks,
-Z

post #8 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I used to have a non AT screen and just made my own AT 12' wide curved screen with my speakers behind the screen. I'll never go back! It was soo distracting to me to have my speakers out in the open. It's much cleaner behind it. I spent less than $1000 making the screen and it lookes awesome. I have a thread just under yours listing my theater as the chocolate theater. Check it out. It sucked to hide my speakers because I just upgraded to the Def tech 7000sc which are beautiful and ginormous.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #9 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Very nice. Im glad to see you going with a 235:1 screen.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Very nice. Im glad to see you going with a 235:1 screen.

that is one large screen, a 5 ft high screen would be almost a 1/4 mile wide, NICE.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well regardless of whether I do an AT screen or not the speakers will be hidden. I'm using inwall's either way so the decision is whether to go with the Triad silver/4's and put them behind or do the silver/6's and put them under. I wish I could just get one of them and figure it out later, but the 4's wouldn't fit under the screen, but if I'm doing AT I don't want to sacrifice another 2" if I get the 6's.

-Z

post #12 of 22 Old 04-26-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

that is one large screen, a 5 ft high screen would be almost a 1/4 mile wide, NICE.

Yea I'm a little concerned that 10' will be too close for a 1/4 mile wide screen, but I can always mask it to 1/8 mile if it's too big.

-Z

post #13 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

So I finally figured out how to get the theater done... quit reading and posting to AVS! So after another year of working on the theater I'm finally done!

Here are some photos (I'll post more later)

This photo was taken with most of the lights on in the room.

post #14 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Very nice!

Are you in New England or is the game in your screen shot a coincidence?
post #15 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

No I live in Minnesota, so I now claim all Boston victories as my own! (even though KG wasn't playing this game.)

-Z

post #16 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Allow me to officially take you off the MIA list. Long time no hear. Looking good.

Now that you are adequately cooked, feel free to fill us in on how it went. 11 months is a long time to wait for details.

Nicely done... Or I mean... adequately cooked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfari View Post

So I finally figured out how to get the theater done... quit reading and posting to AVS! [/IMG]

SHHHHHHH... Let's keep that on the low down.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #17 of 22 Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Nice job Zin. If you had waited just a few more days to update, it would have been an even year between posts. Not that I have any room to talk; I'm coming up on 14 months since I started.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #18 of 22 Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I was pleased to not acutally go a full year from the initial post until now. But the entire project from conception to completion was basically 4 years. All in all I think it worked out for the best. I'm extremely pleased with the projector (RS20)/Screen (SMX 100"W) combo in ended up with.

I did make a couple of changes from my original plans as well. I ended up with a 16:9 screen for 2 reasons.
1. I mounted the projector and played around with how big I wanted the screen. In the end the CIH setup I had been planning felt too small in the 16:9 mode. Everyone loved the larger version. While the size ended up flying in the face of the recommendations for seating distance in the end it's what the family and I liked so that's what I ended up doing. Couldn't be happier.

2. Was just easier and less expensive to setup as I didn't need to get a anamorphic lens, worry about triggers, etc. Don't get me wrong I'd have loved to have the Wow factor, but movies like the Dark Knight were just making things too complicated. So in the end no zooming, no Vstretch and no intense desire to mask now that I'm done.

All along I'd been trying to figure out how I was going to do masking. The commercial solutions were just too much for my budget. With the bat cave I don't even notice that the screen isn't masked.

Here are a couple more photos.

I liked this one as it as it showed the SMX weave, black velvet frame material and GOM AT black fabric combo. After much waffeling I obviously ended up going with an AT screen. I love it.

Test pattern. There are some lights on in this photo. Picture and brightness are great.

post #19 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been about 9 months since I finished.... and I can't believe that I've actually been able to stop reading endlessly in AVSFORUM! I'm free, I knew I could stop whenever I wanted. ;-) I'm still amazed that 9 months later I really wouldn't have done anything differently. The room exceeds my hopes for how it looks and sounds.

Want to thank everyone who commented and answered questions over the years, I still get a big grin on my face whenever I walk in... which is often!

Good luck to everyone on the journey.
-Z

post #20 of 22 Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Could you please repost the pictures of the finnished room? I am in the planning stage of my theater and have the exact same room dimensions. Trying to figure out if I should go for two rows or one row + bar.

It seems your photobucket account has gone inactive.

Regards /// Carl

/// Carl-Fredrik
post #21 of 22 Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If you are looking to reproduce some of what has been done in this thread, please remember not to use foam of any kind. Fluffy fiberglass, mineral wool, etc. is desired.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #22 of 22 Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Photobucket photos should be working again.

With regard to the foam I know it isn't the 1st choice, but I'm extremely pleased with the results. The room had never been finished before but there were a ton of piping/wires etc run through the area making it very difficult to install fiberglass/etc. Blown in fiberglass insulation would also have probably worked, but with such a small space they wouldn't come out. I looked into renting the equipment to do it, but decided to go the foam route.

The foam (which is open cell) did 2 things that I'm not sure other options would have.
1. It made a difference just walking in the room above since the foam was sprayed on the underside of the floor above deadening the noise coming from upstairs into the theater.
2. I was able to create a fairly sound proof space above the theater by having the installer completely fill directly above the walls of the theater to the ceiling isolating the theater from the rest of the basement as well as the floor above. As it is if I turn up the system to reference levels (which is much higher than I actually listen at typically I watch movies at -25db) the only thing you hear/feel is the bass and that's minimal. Just enough that you know someone is in the theater. At normal listening levels up until about -10db or so you don't hear anything. I'm not sure that would have been the case with typical insulation since I really had no way to avoid gaps otherwise.

Again that was my experience, but I'm not going to dispute the recommended methods.

As for the 2 rows of seating I'm again going to break conventional wisdom. I did put in 2 rows and it's great. The front row has full recline, the back don't recline but I did a 3-4 configuration and everyone in the back can put their feet up on the arm of the chair in front of them without interfering with the people in the front row. It also gives folks options on how close they want to sit. For really jumpy movies like Bourne Ultimatum my wife definatley prefers the back row. From an acoustic standpoint I was pleased at how well the back row still sounded which was my biggest concern. Anyway I've filled up the theater with 10+ peope a few times and 6 is pretty common so 2 rows was a must for me.

Hope that helps.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page