Hello all! I have enjoyed learning from everyone's posts on home theater builds. I think I have enough information to be dangerous, so lets start some construction...
First, I should mention that I am not very handy when it comes to power tools and construction. As such, I am hiring a general contractor to do the construction work. I can write a mean check though...
I will be doing all the low-voltage work for AV wiring and connections. I am a techie at heart, so I leave the heavy lifting to someone else and I like to play with the gadgets.
Second, the name "The Get Away" theater has a special meaning for my wife and I. We have a 2 month old and 2 year old. Needless to say, our date night involves a movie on the couch. So, why not bring the theater to us.
Finally, here is the low-down on the project scope:
1. Finishing about 1,100 sq ft in our basement. There will be a home theater (of course), bar area behind theater, a large rec-room for the kiddies and a bathroom. All spaces will be finished to a quality similar to that of the rest of the house, to keep the flow... That means details like 2-piece crown molding throughout, granite countertops, Kraftmaid cabinets, etc. The entire basement will have an insulated ceiling (R38 - 12")
2. The semi-dedicated theater space will be approximately 17'x19'x9'. I (and by "I", I mean "my contractor") will run sofits around the theater to hide some ductwork and add some architectural interest.
3. I only think I will be able to get one row of Berklines in the room (already have 'em from my previous house's home theater). I would appreciate any ideas on seating options. Thinking I might change over to large sectional to get more people packed in. Based on my experience, theater chairs aren't optimal for little kids.
4. Components will be hidden in custom cabinetry in the front of the room. Essentially there will be two large cabinets on either side of the screen.
5. There will be a stage for the kids to play on.
6. I will be making a screen from Seymour AV / Shearwave 4500 material - estimated screen size of 150". Paired with an Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB projector.
7. Hooking up HD Comcast, XBox360, Wii, PS3 (for bluray), computer
8. 7.1 will be provided via Klipsch speakers and Yamaha receiver. Maybe 7.2, but depends how I do on budget.
9. Just picked up a Harmony 890 for RF remote.
10. Floor will be DriCore + Carpet
Thats all I can think of right now....
Here are a couple "before" pics and a sketchup rendering I did to describe my intent. I know the sketchup will change slightly based on a recent decision to close the room off a little more, but you will get the gist.
All helpful ideas/tips are always welcome because I am expecting to learn a lot on the journey. Thanks in advance!
You are looking into the future theater... Great picture on that screen!
Here is a larger view of the basement area
Here is a mockup of the theater area. I will close it off a little more than shown.