Water under my DriCore - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
To make a long story short, I have water under my DriCore. I've fixed the pipe where the water was coming from, but now I'm left wth trying to figure out how to get the water out between the DriCore and the concrete floor now. My DriCore was installed after framing, so I'm thinking the bottom plate of the wall is keeping the water from flowing to where I need it to. It seems to have pooled up in one corner, as I can hear it when I bounce around on the floor.

I currently have a dehumidifier running in the basement, which has taken out about 2 liters or water over the past 18 hours. I'll continue to run this until it's empty, but I didn't know if the remaining water would eventually seep into the concrete. My other option would be to drill a hole through the bottom plate from the other side of the wall and hope that it drains through.

Any ideas? while the room is as dry as the desert ABOVE the subfloor, I don't like the sounds of what's going on below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Liked: 10
I would assume that the sills are PT? If so I wouldn't worry too much about the water seeping into the concrete. Concrete, unless sealed, is very porous, and that may work to your advantage. My biggest concern would by it wicking up into the walls form the concrete and causing a mold/mildew issue. Keep running the dehumidifier, and if its at all possible, try to get 1 panel of dri-core up to expose that area and hasten the drying process. Just my $.02. Another idea could be to add some type of anti-molding agent to the water to keep it from growning anything until it dries... Just some ideas, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Eric

LOGANED on 8/14/08

My Pic Intentive Build Thread
post #3 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Did you install the vents(registers) per Dricore recommendation? Also, you could try drilling a small hole were you think the water may be collecting and sucking it out, this at least would speed the drying process up.
post #4 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, my base plates are all pressure treated. I thought about trying to get a panel up, but that would require moving my 6X9 riser out, which is VERY heavy, as well as getting a piece of Dricore up from under the drywall. I honestly think the only way I could get to the floor is by cuting into the DriCore. My concern with that is I'd be creating a hole in the moisture barrier that the bottom of the DriCore provides.

My concrete should be unsealed, so yea I'm hoping that works for me with getting some of that stuff out of there. The walls aren't soft or anything, so I don't think the water has travelled up to there. The drywall is above the top of the Dricore, so there should be no risk on that side.

I guess for now I'll just keep running that dehumidifier.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
I've got another thing for you to worry about. If the water got high enough the dry-core dimple feet can actually function as reservoirs filling up with water and they will take some time to dry out. Within the past couple of years there was a thread about a guy who had to pull out the dry-core because of this issue. Maybe someone remembers and can link the discussion.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, I did not install the floor vents. These were listed as optional (yea I know) plus I wanted to have the area sealed as best possible. That being said, I have no problem cutting into the DriCore around the riser and installing one there. That would give me access to the trouble spot as well. The riser would sit on top of this too. Thoughts?
post #7 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I would consider surgically drilling some holes in key locations (lower parts of your concreate slab) and shop vac'ing out any standing water. These holes could be caulked with silicone later to preserver the integrity of the barier. I suspect you could suck a fair amount of water up, and then return a couple of hours later and do it gain. Rinse and repeat for a few days. I don't have dricore (I am a delta-Fl man), but I think the above would work to reduce a substantial amount of the water below. Just a thought.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #8 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #9 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Without vents the dehumidifier is probably doing little to dry up what water is still underneath the Dricore. You could always install the vent underneath the riser and prop the rise up if possible until things have dried up.
post #10 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The riser isn't complete yet - it's just been framed, so I can still get inside of it. I drilled a few weep holes into the DriCore around where I heard the water. it will come up through the DriCore if jump down really hard in that spot, but I was happy to see that it didn't start pouring out. I was thinking that maybe I could just cut out a spot with my circular saw (the trick would be not hitting the concrete with the blade), suck the water out, and then just replace the area with either a vent or another piece of DriCore.

You guys definately have me worried at this point
post #11 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Just make sure you wear you life-vest whenever working around water, I would hate to see your drown in your own home. Buy hey, we're from Mn so we're always working around water
post #12 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
mn_hokie,

You really wouldn't be making a hole in a moisture barries, the whole ideal of dricore is to allow for an gap between the concrete and floor. Besides the plastic underneath doesn't go edge to edge. You should be good. In fact if it's gonna be under your riser I'd leave the vent.
post #14 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have some positive news.

I went and walked all around the area where I thought the water was. It seems to be the loudest right in the rear corner of the riser, so my guess is things drained in that direction and then got blocked because of the base plate on the wall. I drilled two 1/2" holes through the dricore and put the shop vac hose over the hole. It was actually enough suction to keep the hose over the hole on it's own, so I just let it run for a few minutes. When done, I opened up the tub and it had 1-2 liters of water in it. My bouncing around in the troubled area test didn't produce any water sounds after that, so I think I may have gotten most of it. I'm planning on doing it again later, but I'm thinking that and the dehumidifier may end up doing the trick.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I was right. I was right. [pats self on back several times]

You may want to take a level out and see where the low spots are on your floor and search and destroy all water collections.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #16 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I plan to slay water later tonight. Thanks again for the tip.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Random thoughts:

1)If you have any way of producing hot dry air in a hose you could use a push-pull approach to drying out the area.

2) MOLD.
post #18 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I've go another thing for you to worry about. If the water got high enough the dry-core dimple feet can actually function as reservoirs filling up with water and they will take some time to dry out. Within the past couple of years there was a thread about a guy who had to pull out the dry-core because of this issue. Maybe someone remembers and can link the discussion.

The panels have been redesigned since then.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may experiment with the warm air once I get all of the water out of there. My only concern with mold is if the water tends to hang around the wood. I don't think there will be much of an issue between the DriCore and the concrete, and I'm hoping that the air circulating underneath, as well as the dehumidifier running, wil take care of 99.9% of my issues.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You experience is a testimate to dri-core..

You outta do a commercial...

Really if the floor dries out (which it should because of the dri-core) you will probably be OK in my opinion. Man would that have been hella bad without the floor system in place.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got everything up I could yesterday with the ShopVac, so I think we're getting close to dry there. The dehumidifier sucked up another liter or so in the past 24 hours.

Slowly, but surely, we're working back towards a dry room
post #22 of 34 Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

John,

No kidding. When I went downstairs this weekend and discovered that crazy gushing noise under the riser, my wife knew I was about to blow a fuse. Talk about a real buzzkill during the height of construction. She said "just take a deep breath. It will be fine. That's the WHOLE reason we put this flooring in". My last theater was built inside of an already finished room, with the carpeting basically right on top of the concrete. We had a bad week of rain and the sump pump couldn't keep up. It flooded the whole room.

We got it back to normal, but it took nearly two weeks of sucking it all out to get it clean again. I must admit, as crazy as this time was, the fact that NOTHING above the DriCore was even the least bit wet was pretty cool.
post #23 of 34 Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

How much total volume do you think you sucked out with the shopvac?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #24 of 34 Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know, being the geek that I am, I was thinking of measuring the volume. If I had to take a wild guess based just on what I see in the tank, I'd say between .5 and 1 gallon.
post #25 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 AM

I'm posting with the hopes that NM_HOKIE still has the same contact info and gets a message....

How did the de-watering go? Do you feel your methods got rid of the water?

I came home yesterday to a fairly large puddle coming out from a wall with no possible water source even close...very perplexed I went into the adjacent room, heard a funny noise and contued to bounce a little...to my shock my Dricore (now with carpet over) sounded like a water bed.

Long story short we discovered the Washing mashine drain fell and gushed water under the floor.

I sucked out 47 litres last night and sound is gone but I know it's not dry.

Hope you're still around to tell me your problem went away with a dehumidifier.

thx
post #26 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, I'm still around

Keep doing what you're doing and it should be fine. I got most of it out by drilling a hole in the dricorce and sucking out what I could with the shop vac. I think I ran the dehumidifier for about a week after that until the bucket started coming up dry. I'd have to check how long ago it was that my issue happened, but it's been fine ever since and I haven't noticed any problems or weird smells down there since the incident.

Hope that helps.

Jason
post #27 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

First of two loads of Water Logged dricore on the way to the dump, For the details read Tom Logans thread. His sump pump failed and his floor actually started floating on inches of water.

post #28 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Excellent thread. Glad they re-designed the DriCore

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #29 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Big -

You keep using that pic and I'm going to start charging a fee! Although, we're proably even on the "consults."

But it is important to note that, yes, I had a flood of 3-4 inches OVER the top of the dricore. And, yes, some of them actually DID float. Which is why they call it a floating floor, I guess. But what do I know?

Keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #30 of 34 Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Which is why they call it a floating floor, I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, but that was great!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page