post #91 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Now the risk here is that you may not be able to bring her around. If that's the case, then you'll need to hide all of the receipts and stop buying toys for the theater for a while because your "dream theater" will be a "money pit" in her mind.
CJ

Hear,hear.... Sometimes shes on-board, good to go and enthusiastic about the whole thing and other times it's the worst thing I could have done to us and doesn't understand why there is a need for all this. She says I could've just built a family room and that would have sufficed.

My rebuttle is that we already have a family room on the 1st floor, why would I want another downstairs? It doesn't win me anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife took my youngest to see Wall-E last week. The kids like to see movies in the theater because of the picture size and sound. I'm sure the popcorn and candy have a lot to do with it too, but theaters facilitate one getting truly immersed in the movie much easier than a big screen TV for me.

The last movie that I saw in the theater was Cold Mountain (2003). My wife and I got a baby sitter and had a good dinner and she picked the show. We sat down about 10 minutes before the show was to begin. The theater was somewhat empty.

Shortly after the trailers started, people were streaming in. Of course, there were people talking on the phone, talking to themselves, arguing over seats, etc. The movie started and the theater had become 1/2 full. For the next 20 minutes, people were streaming in. Some were respectful and tried too minimize their impact...others were less caring.

There was a man in the back of the theater who sounded as though he was hacking up a lung. We were sitting behind a three people from an Asian country who proceeded to talk through the entire movie (despite me asking twice for them to be quiet), and an older couple beside us. The older couple were trying to behave...they just missed hearing things and had to ask each other what someone had said. There were three people in the theater who took phone calls during the movie and proceeded to talk for a few minutes explaining to the other party where they were and that they couldn't talk right then.

At the end of the movie, there is a pivotal scene where the protagonist (played by Jude Law) lays dying and is reunited with his long lost love (played by Nicole Kidman). Right before he dies, she says something to him and he responds. When the Nicole says her line, the lady beside us says "What'd he say", the Asians started up in front of us and the man in the back of the theater sounded as though he nearly had coughed that lung up. I missed what Jude Law said back to Nicole! After that pivotal exchange, the movie ends. We had attended the movie in an upscale theater, so one would have expected that the crowd would have better manners.

My wife and I were disgusted with the behavior of the crowd. We don't conduct ourselves in that manner and have taught our children the same. We walked across the street for a nightcap and really talked about the movie and the showing. It was then and there that the dream of a home theater was born.

In our house, we try to reserve Friday or Saturday night for a movie night. We buy the latest DVD and watch it with our sons (12 and 11). We order pizza and have popcorn, but we're watching it in the living room on a 51" TV.

The entire family is really looking forward to this theater. I have been fortunate enough to visit some really great home theaters. I need to get my wife to accompany me to one. I'm quite confident that she will be sold after just one visit (even more of a believer than she is now).

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #93 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Hear,hear.... Sometimes shes on-board, good to go and enthusiastic about the whole thing and other times it's the worst thing I could have done to us and doesn't understand why there is a need for all this. She says I could've just built a family room and that would have sufficed.

My rebuttle is that we already have a family room on the 1st floor, why would I want another downstairs? It doesn't win me anything.

My wife is fully on board, but she's getting weary of the build. We were in the basement piddling around last night and she mentioned that she's ready for the thing to be done. Mind you, we're in the middle of finishing the drywall, and have been at it for nearly 3 months. It's not been fulll time, but it does consume at least 1/2 of the weekends that we are free.

I should have hired the drywall finishing out, but the delay has given me a good opportunity to slow down the spending for a while.

Once the drywall is done, progress will be much more visible and will seem as though we're moving right along.

CJ

post #94 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

We had attended the movie in an upscale theater

...couldn't have been in Winchester!

Quote:

My wife is fully on board, but she's getting weary of the build.

How do you think MY wife feels? I get a LOT less grief lately when I say "but I need to get some work done down in the basement!"

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #95 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

...couldn't have been in Winchester!

You are right. I've only lived in Winchester for 3 years. The last theater I visited was the Fairfax Corner 14, Cinema Deluxe. We paid the extra $2 to sit in the Director's Hall in cushy leather seats. The picture and sound were great and it would have been a wonderful evening if it weren't for the people.

CJ

post #96 of 1060 Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you think MY wife feels? I get a LOT less grief lately when I say "but I need to get some work done down in the basement!"

Are you sure that's all she's hearing? I'm sure that "going golfing" has passed your lips a few times too. She's probably getting tired of you disappearing...

CJ

post #97 of 1060 Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, thankfully the AVS crash erased my posts regarding the possibility of eliminating the basement bedroom and adding an extensive bar. Thanks to all that chimed in and set me straight. That course would have set me back months (if not longer)... Good thing the old Loganator was on vacation or I am sure he would have pushed me down that tunnel...

If I get back and work in the basement Sunday instead of heading off to the lake, I might be able to post some cool progress pics as I am getting close to a milestone... I will let that be a surprise.

Man, that took longer than I thought it would...

Loganed 4/6/08 Logan's Hero 5/1/08

RPh Drew's INDEXED Thread - Logan's Hero... for now...

2010 - The year of the Shed
post #98 of 1060 Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been going back and forth on whether to put a stage in.

Why not?

My floor plan has a pocket door in the front corner of the room. My speakers are floor standing and are already going to be an obsticle to get around. I am not sure what type of design to put in that doesn't go all the way to the sides.

The room is just under 13' wide.

I may just do curtains and call it a day.

hmmmmmmm

I like the idea of keeping little fingers off the screen and I do like the look of a stage but I am just not sure.

Guess I could create a center stage only that the center channel would sit on and the left and right would just sit on the floor....

post #99 of 1060 Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe if you could keep it as shallow as the right side of the door you might be able to do it.
Something like:

On my stage I worried that the curve would stick out to far because my entry is at the front. Fortunately it doesn't, it seems completely comfortable entering and exiting the room.

Would it be an entry often used?

You could also take about a foot off each side maybe match the width of the screen.
post #100 of 1060 Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would it be an entry often used?

Not sure. Until I start using it... assuming that day will come... I don't know how much I will enter that way. Probably will depend on what type of treatment I end up using to cover the door. I have been considering a curtain over it but again... not sure.

Quote:

Maybe you could keep it as shallow as the right side of the door you might be able to do it.

You could also take about a foot off each side maybe match the width of the screen.

Yea, that is kinda what I have been thinking. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a stage so I have to figure something out and a partial width stage seems to make the most sense. Thanks

post #101 of 1060 Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, some progress. Not as much as I was hoping for but you know how that goes...

The riser and bar are about ready for insulation and the bar is ready for its shell.

first I completed the step off the front of the riser complete with a junction box under the step for the rope lighting.

Next I have both electrical and smurf tube to carry any future low voltage stuff to the front row. I ran RG6, phone line and 2 cat5e to my riser for the equipment closet. I ran them to the back row (in the front of the bar). I then ran smurf tube to both the front row and under the bar should I ever want to run any low voltage stuff to the front row or the bar.

The box on the left is low voltage, the box in the middle is power for the Berks in the front row, and the horizontal box on the right is for the rope lighting for the other step. It should mostly be covered by the overhang.

I have 3 power outlets in the front of the bar for the Berks and anything else. The box to the left is for rope lighting for the bar. I am going to run the rope light on a separate switch under the top shelf of the bar illuminating the counter top. The other two boxes in this pic are normal outlets.

Here is the smurf tub running to the front. I still need to secure it to the joist.

Under the bar in one of the middle legs I ran an outlet for my laptop and the low voltage box should I ever need it.

Lastly, I ran the switch for the riser rope light and the bar light under the bar to the outer most leg. I ran one of the cat5e wires to the box so I can remotely control.

I have also been working on the bar parts as shown in this picture. Sanding took longer than expected yesterday so even though I didn't go to the lake Sunday, I didn't get it assembled.

I have Thursday and Friday off as I have to work the weekend so I hope to get the bar put together.

post #102 of 1060 Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You are really moving along. Your bar is going to look awesome when you are finished!

CJ

post #103 of 1060 Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
Looking good Drew! Keep it up! Time is tough to find eh?
post #104 of 1060 Old 08-19-2008, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. MAN, that's stuff I hadn't even THOUGHT about (phone,etc in riser).

Tom Logan

post #105 of 1060 Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how you were planning on controlling that switch for the riser rope light, but I thought you weren't supposed to mix cat5 with high voltage. The only time I've seen it in the same box is if you have plastic box with a divider which you put in between to seperate high and low voltage.
post #106 of 1060 Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks all

Quote:

Looking good. MAN, that's stuff I hadn't even THOUGHT about (phone,etc in riser).

Yea, when I started, I only had dial up internet so I wanted to run a phone line to the bar. When running that, I figured why not run some other stuff while I was at it.

Work is busting my nuts right now. Came back from vacation Monday and opened my e-mail... Went home that night and talked to the wife briefly about me considering another job. I have been with the company 20 years but I could have another job in the same field by the end of the week making the same money. It's Tuesday now and I have calmed a bit but the urge to strangle is still there. (guess I need to get over to the Logan thread for awhile).

post #107 of 1060 Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure how you were planning on controlling that switch for the riser rope light, but I thought you weren't supposed to mix cat5 with high voltage. The only time I've seen it in the same box is if you have plastic box with a divider which you put in between to seperate high and low voltage.

Yea, I need to talk to my equipment guy's wiring dude before I seal this up. As I mentioned many post ago, I bought my switches many moons ago and the people I bought them from were idiots. (By they way, they just went out of business a week or two ago...) They are the ones that had me run the cat5 to the box. When wiring I thought this a bit weird. The idea is to have some type of receiver for the remote in the front of the room and that signal would be transmitted to both my equipment closet and dimmers. I am not sure how the signal travels and what goes on the end of the cat5 but pulling them into the same box just didn't feel right. Thanks for the heads up. It is an easy fix now. With two dimmer in the bar, I could run the plastic 3 gang box with the little divider but I need to find out what goes on the end of the cat 5 and how it communicates with the switches. Will box dividers block the signal etc.

post #108 of 1060 Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/page.aspx?id=16384&mn=1755

The above is a link for Space System wiring instructions. Not sure if you had it handy or not.

The back of the master spacer control is suppossed (if at a different location than the rest of your switches) to be wired with 14 AWG wire to serve as IR travelers. Look at page 12 of the link above diagram 12 on the right. This can be accomplished with 14-2 electrical wire. The wire gets connected to IR blasters which goes inside the same box as your remote/slave switches.

Now since your wall with the master is closed up you have to work around this. You have cat 5 coming out of your master bank of switches as well. Which you said needed to be connected to an IR sensor in front of the room.

Technically what you need to do is have an IR receiver at the front of the room such as:
http://www.smarthome.com/8130W.html

This gets wired and cat 5 should be fine in this case to:

http://www.smarthome.com/8191.html

You would then take an emitter which would connect to the flasher port and basically cut off the flasher. You then need to splice the 2 wires to either the cat 5 or the 14/2 wire if you end up switching it somehow. Now when you send the remote signal to the IR rcvr it send it to the 4 emitter block and then it will send to your switch bank.

Obviously you would do the same for the switch(es) underneath you bar. If your gonna keep the cat 5 what I would do is change that box for the plastic box with the insert for separation. Drill a small hole on the insert and take the emitter you have to cut for the flasher block, and with clear silicone attach to the voltage side of the insert. Then you wire it to the cat5 which would connect back to the flasher block. Of cours this is if you are planning on using spacer switches underneath the bar.

I'm not sure if you have access to your main bank of switches from behind or if it's in a closet. If you dont then your forced to stay with that cat5.

Do you have the cat5 wired to the master switch, or were you planning on adding a flasher to it?
post #109 of 1060 Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow... thank for the info and links.

Yes I have cat 5 to the master as I planned to have an IR receiver (aka blaster or whatever) in the front of the room that would transmit the signal via cat5 to the master for the room lights. When later adding the idea of dimmer to the riser and bar, I figure I would split that signal off as I also have the cat5 to the riser area.

The problem with the lutron system is that you have two types of masters depening on if you are using the included blaster or not. Yes the 14g wire connects but the one that uses the blaster connected via the 14g CAN NOT be in the same box as the slaves. The lutron support guy said with my 6 gang box (1 master and 5 slave) I would need the one with the blaster. So he swapped one for me but I later found that it can not be in the same box as it interfers with the switches. I have a litte chat on this further up the thread.

I therefore think I have to take the remote signal and deliver it separately to both my master (that will control the 5 slaves) and the box in the bar (that will control riser and bar light). With this config, the master will not control the bar/riser light rather the remote will have to be programmed to do so.

The SPS 5WCR is prewired to connect the 14g and comes with the IR blaster (two of them actually) but again can not be housed together with the slave switches.

thanks again for the info. The plastic box in the bar is probably a good idea as well.

post #110 of 1060 Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I see what your saying with the blaster causing interference, the slaves in the same box receive their signals from the master by line of sight within the box. I would wire the switch under the bar from the emitter block.

The only thing I'm not sure of is, are you able to assign that switch seperately as to not affect you main bank of switches and vice versa? I didn't look into that detail of the spacer system. What's the total of switches which you could use and assign individually?
post #111 of 1060 Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #112 of 1060 Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

It's a new month!!! Any progres?

Ya, lots to do and little time right now. Just got home from work and have to be back at 7:30 tomorrow.

Need to:
1. Post results from last month's goals including current pics
2. Set new goals for September by the 5th (who pick that time frame anyway???)

It will probably be Friday night before I complete and get back to work on the project.

The bar is assembled but not trimmed (I did swap out the electrical box as oman suggested)
The Riser is wired and insulated and the steps are in place but I haven't applied the decking yet. Going with 2 layers of 3/4" OSB and bought the roofing felt but just can't seem to make myself finish it. I cut the first layers pieces to size but I keep wondering exactly how I am going to trim out the rope lighting on it so I keep putting it off. I am sure that once the roofing felt is sealed between the sheets of OSB it won't stink but it has me a little worried. I also have been wondering if I should glue the first layer down.

I was planning on completing most of this stuff last weekend but then the wife's maternal nesting kicked in and it ate up the entire weekend (though I did get in a round of golf)...

Turned down an OT shift on Sat so I will hopefully get some time in then. September's goals might have to be a little more conservative...

post #113 of 1060 Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

RPh Drew, I just read back my post the I made yesterday and the sacarsm I intended doesn't come across on second reading. The decking and WIP theater looks spot on.

I didn't really catch it the first time either but the "" gave me the impression you were just talking smack...

No harm done.

post #114 of 1060 Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Man..that was a close one. I remember that time Drew shot a guy just for snoring.
post #115 of 1060 Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick update before my post ends up in the archives...

My smack talk has been down but my progress has been up... Things have been coming along nicely. I have been putting off a full update since there is quite a bit to report and don't want to be stuck at the computer for an hour (more worky, less talky)...

Waiting for lighting chick (aka Certified Lighting Specialist) to call me back with info on rope lighthing so I will update some here.

I have sort of given up on setting individual goals... why... because I can actually see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Completed most of my September check list (contrary to comments from those that abandon ship) and now have my eye on the finished product... Then went ahead and completed more stuff not on the list. Finishing as fast as I can write it down...

Hung another door (man I hate hanging doors... only one left)

Completed assembly or bar but have yet to trim

Completed wiring of riser, insulated, and have sealed. Added the roofing felt and working one the second layer now.

Picked out sconce lights.

Emptied unfinished utility area, insulated back of bedroom wall then dry walled to seal. Added shelving in utility room for bazillion paint cans... Did I mention we built this house just 5 years ago... The wife and her paint...

Cleaned out basement bedroom so all remaining cutting will be done outside. To me this is a real point to note. The basement is no longer related to the garage, it is part of the house!!!

Now that riser complete, finished off that circuit and powered up and tested. All looks good. Only one circuit left to "go hot with" and it is for primary theater equipment. It is all ready, just haven't thrown the switch.

Bought and installed A/B switch for deck speakers. This way I can run them with the receiver from theater or the receiver on the main floor.

Swapped out the 2 gang switch box in the third row bar with a 3 gang for the cat5 as suggested above (re-cut panel to allow etc.)

Installed plug for basement fridge (just inside door of utility room) and moved fridge into place.

Bought 12 huge storage totes for utility room to organize storage of what needs to be stored there rather than in the extreme heat/cold of garage attic. Only 4 filled at this point but nothing else left in utility room so very neat and clean.

Figured out how I am going to hang my crown in the tray ceiling with some boards cut at 45 degrees to support so I hope to start them this weekend.

Scheduled another vacation week 10/5-10/11. By the end of that week I will be ordering the carpet install and scheduling my AV guy to order remaining equipment (receiver, dvd). I think I am going to hold off ordering a screen until I get the projector up and running so I am sure I order the right size.

I have been taking pictures and will update when I get a chance.

Rather than list what will be done by the end of my vacation, I will list what will not be done (much shorter list).

1. Carpet will be on order but not installed.
2. Bathroom fixtures will not be done as the carpet guys will also install the vinyl at the same time and rather them have them floor around the cabinet, I will install over the flooring.
3. Stairs MAY not be done. I am not sure exactly what I am going to do yet so hard to say if it will be finished.
4. Equipment rack MAY not be complete.
5. I will probably hold off on hanging the speakers until carpet guys are gone.
6. Screen will not be installed as I want to get a feel for the size.
7. Cabinet for mini bar in Game room will probably not be installed. I "think" I have made up my mind but just can't seem to pull the trigger to order.

Two things I am holding off on until the bitter end
1. Window treatments I want to get a feel for the finished product before I pick these out.
2. Acoustic treatments. Will probably have final product tested to get the most "BANG" (or least bang as the case may be) for my buck.

Of the above, only a few need to be completed to have a functioning room... is that a light at the end of the tunnel... or another train... Not sure but watching movies (or the Wings) may be closer than I thought.

Back at it...

post #116 of 1060 Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, nice progress RPh. Wish I could take a week off to knock things off in a major way but alas I only have a couple of days to take here or there. I usually like to combine with the holidays.

Whats the A/B switch that you got for your deck speakers. I'm looking for something similar but for the purpose of switching between deck speakers and rec. room speakers from the same receiver.

Keep at it, you have momentum right now.
post #117 of 1060 Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whats the A/B switch that you got for your deck speakers. I'm looking for something similar but for the purpose of switching between deck speakers and rec. room speakers from the same receiver.

http://www.nxgtech.com/ab_selector.htm

Will switch between two amplifiers and one pair of speakers or two pairs of speakers and one amplifier.

It wires up really easy as you wire the little 4 prong plug for each of the three components, then simply plug each into the switch.

$30 from my AV guy. Might be able to find it cheaper but saw at least one on line listing that said $29.99.

post #118 of 1060 Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, anyone familar with wiring doorbells? I had the rocket scientists that built my house run an extra wire to the basement for a door bell so when it was complete we could add a chime down there. Well, it appears they wired a second door bell button!!! Like I would want to press a button from the basemenet to ring the upstairs chime??? May be that would be the queue to bring me another beer???

Now looking at wiring diagrams it appears I need a 3 wire connection between the two chimes and all I have is 2...

I have seen wireless chimes but does that mean I have to start from scratch?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

post #119 of 1060 Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Well that sucks. The third wire is to run power from the 1st to 2nd unit. Trying to think if you could hook up a seperate transformer to power but you still need to run the wire back to the button. Not sure if you might be able to access your existing transformer and run 1 wire from there, even if you do it outside the walls to try and see if it works and if it does maybe figure out how to run it later.
post #120 of 1060 Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, they ran a wire for a "back door button." The idea is to extend the wiring to outside the backdoor. Most chienms have separate connection so that it "ding-dong" from one button and "dong-ding" from the other so you know which door to go. I've found thath that is pretty easy to figure out and wire. Of course, it's NOT the same as a second chime.

Here's what I did, and I was lucky here.

First make sure you get a large enough transformer to ring both chimes. Should run you about $20 at HD. Luckily, my main chime is located in my entryway, above a coat closet. The wirng from the front door goes to the bell, then runs inside the wall down to the basement where the transformer is located. I replaced the transformer, went up to the closet, drilled a small whole on the inside of the closet behind the chime, and poked the wire through to the front. I ran it along the inside of the door, and drilled a whole in the inside corner through the floor to the still unfinished basement and fished it through. Then I tied it to the exisiting doorbell button and to the transformer and then to the new chime. So now the same button rings both chimes.

Search for "wiring second door chime" NOT "door bell" and you should find some wiring diagrams. That's what I did.

I also bought the cheapest chime HD had. Turns out it is an exact match for the one the builder used 17 years ago. Just goes to show you what "Contractor Quality" means.

Now maybe all that will confuse you enough to slow you down....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tom Logan

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page