Any problems with laying wires in ceiling vs securing them? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've run most of my wires by pulling them through the walls and ceiling and just laying them against the ceiling drywall (loose wires, no PVC tubing). Is it okay to do this without securing them somehow? I don't see any other way of doing it unless you cut several holes in the drywall. Anyhow, is this what everyone does when they run wires in 'old work'?

Also, can you do this with electric lines? I need to have an electrician run an outlet to my Plasma, but I thought I could save some money by running the wires in the wall before he gets here. Can I just lay this wire against the ceiling or does it need to be secure somehow (joists / studs).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM

When I ran electric in my garage, there is romex just sitting on the tops of the ceiling joists, and the inspector had no problem with it whatsoever. Now, just sitting on top of the drywall I'm not sure about, but I would think you're ok. I know for "old" work, ie fishing wires in enclosed walls, you don't have to secure the wiring in the walls.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel View Post

I've run most of my wires by pulling them through the walls and ceiling and just laying them against the ceiling drywall (loose wires, no PVC tubing). Is it okay to do this without securing them somehow? I don't see any other way of doing it unless you cut several holes in the drywall. Anyhow, is this what everyone does when they run wires in 'old work'?

Also, can you do this with electric lines? I need to have an electrician run an outlet to my Plasma, but I thought I could save some money by running the wires in the wall before he gets here. Can I just lay this wire against the ceiling or does it need to be secure somehow (joists / studs).

Low voltage...no worries. Line voltage might be though...check your local county codes to make sure. I've got naked romex in my attic, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to do that in a commercial install here in Chatham county.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 AM

I think the answer for most localities comes down to if the area housing the wire is going to be accessed or not. I.e. if one side of the wall is open, then it needs to be stapled. If it is enclosed you should be good. I know that is the rule of thumb for attics at least.

An absolutely FANTASTIC resource for all electrical questions is the Forum over at Mike Holt's website. I've asked a ton of questions there (before elec work), and have never failed an elec inspection.

check it out here
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page