Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 601 Old 12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cat got your tongue CJ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 601 Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Cat got your tongue CJ?

And my budget! I've gotten side-tracked by other projects. The latest is ripping all of my DVD's, BluRay's, and HD-DVD's to a networked media player (HDX-1000). I hope to get back to the theater sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Also, your theater is coming together nicely. Only a few more days!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #123 of 601 Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I just finished ripping all of my movies into my NMT's hard drive (1.5TB doesn't go too far), so I was able to find a little time this weekend to work on my theater.

I finished putting in the putty pads around the receptacle boxes. Before putting up the insulation, I decided to measure the studs to make sure that the drywall would line up correctly. I'm glad I did, since there were quite a few sheets that wouldn't have hit studs at their edges. To rectify this, I started cutting 2x2's to add in. I was one short, so I'll have to finish up this weekend (if I don't go skiing).

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #124 of 601 Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey CJ,

Can you fill me in on this NMT you have?

Jason

post #125 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Hey CJ,

Can you fill me in on this NMT you have?

The NMT is basically a media player that has hardware decoding for DVD's, BluRays, etc. There are several different brands. Most of them offer an ethernet jack and USB jack for playing video streamed over a network or from a USB hard drive. Some, like mine, have internal connectors for a hard drive. The newer ones have HDMI 1.3 outputs, supporting 1080p video and TrueHD audio (among others). Mine has component video, coaxial digital audio, optical digital audio, and analog audio outputs as well.

Here is a pic:

When it's first set up, the GUI is pretty basic. With a little work, you can get one like this:

It takes a bit of setup time, but once it's going, it's great. Here's a forum with more info: http://www.networkedmediatank.com

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #126 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

CJ,

Is that an off-the-shelf product or is it something akin to an HTPC or a media server?

post #127 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I was able to spend a significant portion of this weekend working on my theater. Much of the time was cleaning up various small to-do items. I almost finished installing the drywall blocking (was short 1 piece). I moved the power inlet for the projector to behind my rack- I'm not too sure what I was thinking when I put it in front of my rack to begin with. I secured all of my low-volt cabling with zip ties and staples. I also started cutting insulation battes. I'm hoping to get those installed this week.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #128 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1383 View Post

CJ,

Is that an off-the-shelf product or is it something akin to an HTPC or a media server?

It is an off-the-shelf product. This is the one I purchased: http://www.hdx1080.com/index.php. The most popular one and the one with arguably the best support is the Popcorn Hour A-110: http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...id=6&main_id=0.

All of the NMT's use the same chipset for decoding audio and video. Most of the differences are in the ways that they output audio and video, and the aesthetics.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #129 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Hrm, they really aren't that expensive. What's the advantage of that verses a media server? The hardware encoding?

I would think this thing won't hold alot of discs if its only $200...

post #130 of 601 Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

They aren't that expensive. However, they don't hold anything without adding your own hard drive! I added a 1.5 TB internal hard drive for another $130 and have quite a few movies on there now.

This is a media server. However, most other media servers don't do 1080p or require putting together yourself (HTPC).

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #131 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Right. I intend to build a media server sometime in the future. I Just wonder if there is any point to looking into something like this, or just waiting for the media server to get built.

How many movies are you able to hold on the single 1.5TB drive?

post #132 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Each HD movie takes 20-25 GB of space, while each DVD takes 3-6 GB. I have around 40 HD movies and around 100 DVD's. You can also add an external USB hard drive or stream movies over the ethernet (from a networked computer or NAS).

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #133 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mind if I ask what that setup runs? It would be nice to clear up some cabinet space from my DVDs.

Jason

post #134 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mind if I ask what that setup runs? It would be nice to clear up some cabinet space from my DVDs.

Not at all. It's fairly cheap- around $200 for the NMT and another $130 for the 1.5 TB hard drive. It's a bit more if you don't already have a BlueRay reader on your computer ($130) or have to purchase AnyDVD HD ($100).

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #135 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
CJ,

You're always full of helpful info!!! Thanks! I've been waiting for an affordable solution like this in a nice compact system. Looks like I'll be getting one. How's the build coming along?

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #136 of 601 Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, so it's not just a matter of feeding it the DVDs one at a time and having it process things automatically?

Jason

post #137 of 601 Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very interesting! Thank you for the tip. I will certainly be looking into one of these.

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:

post #138 of 601 Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CJ,

How is the quality of the DVD transfers vs the original DVD itself, especially when projected onto a large 100" plus screen?

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:

post #139 of 601 Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

CJ,

You're always full of helpful info!!! Thanks! I've been waiting for an affordable solution like this in a nice compact system. Looks like I'll be getting one. How's the build coming along?

Ray

Thanks- build is coming along slowly. Partly due to my lasiness, partly due to the economy. Glad I could help.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #140 of 601 Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, so it's not just a matter of feeding it the DVDs one at a time and having it process things automatically?

It's not quite that easy. If you want something that easy, look at Kaleidascape and start saving your money! However, it's not that onerous either. You rip the DVD (or BluRay or HD DVD) using your computer, over the network (or USB connection or internal SATA connection) to the drive that is hosting the files. It is pretty straight forward using DVDFab for DVD's. BluRays and HD-DVD's are a little more complicated.

Then you run a program, YAMJ that goes through all of the video files and creates an index file that lists the video and pulls their info off of imdb with their genre, actors, video synopis, etc. and creates the graphical interface that I posted.

This is how I did it. There are other options for ripping the files and other programs to display them.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #141 of 601 Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteGuy View Post

CJ,

How is the quality of the DVD transfers vs the original DVD itself, especially when projected onto a large 100" plus screen?

That's up to you. I tend to rip the main movie at full quality. I ripped a few of them as iso's so that I could keep the menu system. The NMT can also read avi's, mpg's, and a few more if you want to compress them. However, with hard drives being as cheap as they are, I didn't see the need.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #142 of 601 Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

The NMT is basically a media player that has hardware decoding for DVD's, BluRays, etc. There are several different brands. Most of them offer an ethernet jack and USB jack for playing video streamed over a network or from a USB hard drive. Some, like mine, have internal connectors for a hard drive. The newer ones have HDMI 1.3 outputs, supporting 1080p video and TrueHD audio (among others). Mine has component video, coaxial digital audio, optical digital audio, and analog audio outputs as well.

Here is a pic:

When it's first set up, the GUI is pretty basic. With a little work, you can get one like this:

It takes a bit of setup time, but once it's going, it's great. Here's a forum with more info: http://www.networkedmediatank.com

CJ

Now that is way cool and equally impressive since it was DIY and not the Kaleidoscape way out. Nice job CJ.

post #143 of 601 Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Now that is way cool and equally impressive since it was DIY and not the Kaleidoscape way out. Nice job CJ.

Thanks, though much of the work was done by the people who build the NMT's and develope the software. All I had to do was the ripping and configuring!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #144 of 601 Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update- I've finished the blocking and am now working on insulation. Based on comments by Ted White, I won't have to insulate the inside portion of the staggered (exterior) wall since the outside portion is already insulated.. that will sure save some time!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #145 of 601 Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hey CJ,

Thanks for the info on NMTs. I'm was thinking about building a HTPC, but this approach seems slightly easier. Would you mind explaining why you went with HDX over the popcorn hour 110? Both are about the same price. Do you know if both are from China?

Also, I have a Pioneer blu-ray player. It used to have problems playing certain disks, but FW updates have fixed that. Would these NMTs be subject to problems like that too?

Thanks,
Ed

post #146 of 601 Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I liked that the HDX uses brushed aluminum for the case, while the Popcorn Hour uses plastic. Also, the HDX has both optical and coaxial digital audio outputs and the Popcorn Hour has just optical. However, the Popcorn Hour is more popular and does have much quicker response on firmware updates. Both are made in China.

Since the NMT's use the same chipsets as the Blu-Ray players, I would think that they may have the same problems, which can also be corrected with firmware upgrades. That said, I've only had problems with two disks- Kill Bill and Kill Bill Volume 2.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #147 of 601 Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

CJ,

I think your theater is coming along quite necely. I could not believe the detail you had on your first few posts on design, build strategy, hardware, etc. You really did your homework before your started. I think I started my research 6 months before I started construction.

Can't wait to see some drywall going up

Also, the NMT looks to be a nice product. I've had a HTPC (SD video only) with mixed results. I think the biggest challenge was getting a nice front end. This one looks like it has a nice clean look, easy to use and supports HD formatted video. My plan it to catalog all by DVDs so it will be easier for the kids to pick a movie (I've started with DVD Profiler).

Keep those progress pics coming.

Steve

-->

-->
post #148 of 601 Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM

that is amazing man! nice work!
post #149 of 601 Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments. I went with the NMT over an HTPC (which I've set up in the past) for two reasons- ease of control and the support for HD formats.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #150 of 601 Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 PM

My brother came to visit me from Sweden recently. He brought his Popcorn Hour with him and we hooked it up to my Panasonic AE900. His Blu Ray films had been ripped and compressed using the Matroska codec with .mkv as the file extension. It is a very efficient codec. These movies took only about 6-8 Gigs of space and they looked absolutely stunning on my 118" screen. It was very intresting, to say the least.

Chris Whitworth
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page