Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 601 Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
CJ,

Aren't you glad you had to wait to finish your build so incorporate Audyssey's new DSX format? Glad to see you're back on track here. Looking forward to your progress. I find your thread very informative and helpful!

Thanks,
Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 601 Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Channel 1: Left Main (placed 30 degrees to the left of the system centerline, at ear level)
Channel 2: (NEW) Left Height (placed 45 degrees to the left of the center line, and at a 45 degree up-angle relative to ear level)
Channel 3: (NEW) Left Wide (placed 60 degrees to the left of the center line, at ear level)
Channel 4: Left Surround (placed 120 degrees to the left of the system centerline, at or above ear level)
Channel 5: Center Front (placed on the system centerline, front of room, as close to ear level as practicable)
Channel 6: (NEW, Optional) Center Rear (placed on the system centerline, rear of room, at or above ear level)
Channel 7: Right Main (placed 30 degrees to the right of the system centerline, at ear level)
Channel 8: (NEW) Right Height (placed 45 degrees to the right of the center line, and at a 45 degree up angle relative to ear level)
Channel 9: (NEW) Right wide (placed 60 degrees to the right of the center line, at ear level)
Channel 10: Right surround (placed 120 degrees to the left of the system centerline, at or above ear level)

Post 171 shows 4 sides and 2 back speakers. I hope you are keeping all of them in the plan, driving the side pairs in parallel from Chs 4 and 10, and especially keeping the Lb/Rb speakers, as they are much more effective than any one back-center speaker. A single back speaker will do nothing but narrow the sense of space and add some directional confusion--even if the Lb and Rb are still there. Since the DSX diagrams don't list Cb, seems no one is making a case for it. Are you just covering all possible bases by running Channel 6 wire?

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 601 Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

I had thought the NMT was the greatest thing ever until I heard about mymovies, which I actually think has a better GUI, but no hardware. I am also not convinced of the quality of the audio/video outputs/processing. Whilst I haven't tested it personally it seems a little too good to be true at the price. Good soundcards are twice the price of the whole NMT unit. Also, with many receivers having network capability now, I am not sure its totally needed?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the above CJ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MyMovies run on Windows MCE? If so, I didn't have much luck with it when it came out, without any addons. I'd much rather have a hardware specific player even if the GUI isn't as nice. As far as the networked receivers, I don't think that any will stream HD video, though I haven't really looked into it.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #184 of 601 Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Post 171 shows 4 sides and 2 back speakers. I hope you are keeping all of them in the plan, driving the side pairs in parallel from Chs 4 and 10, and especially keeping the Lb/Rb speakers, as they are much more effective than any one back-center speaker. A single back speaker will do nothing but narrow the sense of space and add some directional confusion--even if the Lb and Rb are still there. Since the DSX diagrams don't list Cb, seems no one is making a case for it. Are you just covering all possible bases by running Channel 6 wire?

The outlined boxes in post 171 are possible columns (haven't really decided on them yet). The magenta solid boxes are the speaker locations, which are configured in the common 7.1 format with 3 LCR's, 2 sides and 2 rears (and 2 subs). I'm going to be adding speaker wire for possible future left and right height speakers, left and right wide speakers, and a rear center-channel speaker, so I guess that technically makes it 12.1. All of the diagrams I have seen have only gone up to 9.1, but the configuration I listed was directly from an article. Who knows, I may even go crazy and add another wire for the ceiling just in case

In any case, I don't intend to get rid of any of the speaker locations that I currently have shown and the additional wire is for sometime in the distant future.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #185 of 601 Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

CJ,

Aren't you glad you had to wait to finish your build so incorporate Audyssey's new DSX format? Glad to see you're back on track here. Looking forward to your progress. I find your thread very informative and helpful!

Thanks,
Ray

I knew there was a reason for me procrastinating! I'm glad to hear that this thread is helpful to you.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #186 of 601 Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Ran and labeled the new speaker cables today. Ended up not putting one in the ceiling. Hope I don't regret it later

Tomorrow I have to redo the screws on the hat track. I screwed them together on the bottom, which will leave a bump in the drywall. I have to go back and put them in the sides instead.

Also, I realized today that I had put R15 in the 2x4 walls against the concrete. I'm not too sure why I did that, but I have to go back and replace it with R13 so that it isn't too tight between the drywall and the concrete, which would help to couple the two together.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #187 of 601 Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I took some pictures of mistakes and compromises that I've made. Some of these things I'm going to correct or will correct; some of the things I'll have to live with. Unless you have an unlimited budget (or at least a bigger one than mine), constructing a theater is a series of compromises and deciding which compromises you're willing to take.

1. I didn't decouple the 2x2 headers from the ceiling joists. Although this is similar to what happens with using staggered 2x4's on 2x6 headers, it could easily have been done when I started.

2. I didn't really decouple the wall framing from the poured-in-place concrete walls. I should have left an inch between the two, but didn't realize this until after I had secured them to the floor. I did put some foam between the studs and the concrete wall so that they wouldn't vibrate and create noises.

3. I put in insulation that was too thick for the studs. This helps to couple the drywall to the wall behind it.

4. I shouldn't have used inwall speakers for the surrounds and rears. These did two things to hurt the sound isolation- they create a large hole in the double drywall and they contact the studs from exterior portion of the staggered stud wall.

5. I really like the speakers, but I probably shouldn't have purchased inwall speakers for the front. You need at least 3.5' of drywall around the inwall speakers so that they sound correct. I want to put bass traps behind the screen wall, but the added drywall doesn't allow this to happen.

6. This is a great receiver, but if I had waited until I was close to finishing the theater before purchasing it, I could have purchased the current generation one for close to the same price, which has some additional functionality that I would really like to have.

I did accomplish a few things today. I took out the aformentioned screws from the hat track and put them in correctly. I took out the R19 insulation from the 2x4's and will let the insulation crew put in the proper insulation. I also ran a 16 Hz to 20 kHz linear tone sweep to make sure that there weren't any rattles. I downloaded the sweep tones from http://www.dr-lex.be/software/testsounds.html, loaded them onto my ipod, and played them through my receiver. Luckily there weren't any rattles.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #188 of 601 Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CJ, I think you have Triads for the fronts? If so, don't beat yourself up too much. I too went through the same exact ordeal, but from the many different folks at Triad, they all assured me that since the in-walls are also enclosed speakers like the in-rooms you don't have the same issues as you would with other typical in-walls. Also, if you went with in-rooms they prefer to have more standing room behind them as well (my whole false wall only measured 18"). Now if you ask me whether Dennis is going to be able to tell the difference with the in-walls not having the 3.5' of drywall or mdf board around them I would answer absolutely. Us? Not so sure.

post #189 of 601 Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Thanks- I appreciate the information. It's funny the things you start worrying about!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #190 of 601 Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Thanks to Mike R, I've added some links to using your riser as a bass trap.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #191 of 601 Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Well, things have been busy around here. It's amazing how much quicker things go when someone else is doing the work!

It took 2 days to run most of the HVAC-

This is where they placed the return for the theater.

I think that it will stick out too much, so I asked them if they could move it to the soffit. I can't understand why they said it wouldn't fit here!

The plumbers plumbed out for the bar and the bathroom in less than a day.

The electricians stopped bye for a couple of hours. They didn't think too much of my theater wiring.

The framers came in today. Here's the before picture.

Here's the after.

This is looking into the bar area, with the bathroom behind it. We are going to encase the arch and columns in stone. I think that it will turn out pretty cool. Here's a sketch of what the bar should look like. I'll be interested in how close I get to how it actually ends up looking.

This is the beverage center and wine cooler we plan on putting in.

They framed in for a gas fireplace, which will also have a stone surround.

Here's the riser that they built. They did not nail the top so that I can run the wiring and add insulation before putting on the top. I plan to also cut out areas around the sides and back to use it as a broadband bass trap.

All of this framing (plus framing in two other ceilings, a closet, and a couple of walls)was done in about half a day.

We'll talk with the electrician on Friday to tell him where we want cans, sconces, light switches, etc. I'm wondering what he'll say when I show him the Crestron CLS-C6's (similar to a Graphik Eye).

Next week will be electric, finishing up the plumbing and HVAC, inspections, and putting in the insulation.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #192 of 601 Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looking good, CJO. The riser bass trap sounds interesting. I'll check out the links.

The pace of the pros is very impressive. Reminds me of finishing a basement a few years ago and asking the drywallers if I could lower the cost by helping them hang it. "No, not really" he said. "In fact, if you're in the wrong spot once we get started, you could end up inside the wall!" It took those guys a little over 3 hours to hang an 800 sqft basement.

Did you see the framers build the arch? How did they cut the curve? Just curious after cutting the curve for my stage.

Good luck.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #193 of 601 Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Did you see the framers build the arch? How did they cut the curve? Just curious after cutting the curve for my stage.

Unfortunately, I had to be at work all day so I didn't get to see them cut it. They just had a stack of 2x4's, 2x12's, some LVL's, a sheet of 1/2" OSB, and some 3/4" T&G OSB when they started yesterday and ended up with an arch, walls and a riser. I'll try to remember to ask the builder when I talk to him next as I'll be wanting to do the same thing for my stage.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #194 of 601 Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

The electricians were here yesterday and will be finishing their rough-in today. I can't tell you how easy they are to work with. He didn't bat an eye when I showed him how I wanted things wired for the different zones and had a few helpful suggestions as well.

Some bad news on the AC.. based on some discussions I've had, it appears that they have undersized the supply lines. They need to up them to 8" flex, rather than the 8" into two 6" flex lines they have now. The builder is supposed to talk to the HVAC company owner today.

Looking at how slow I've been moving and how quickly the pro's have been doing it, we've decided to ask the framers and electricians finish out the theater.

I also ordered the wine cooler, beverage cooler and ice maker this weekend. It's amazing how expensive those things are. From monoprice, I picked up a 45' HDMI cable to run to the bar as well as some LV passthrough plates.

We also looked at theater chairs and it was a bit of a sticker shock how much 8 chairs are going to be!

I plan on ordering this copper sink for the bar today:

I've decided that I'm going to go with columns and will place the speakers in the columns. I took some time this weekend taking out the back boxes.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #195 of 601 Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

You are making fast progress using the pros. I hope you can keep them on track to meet your goals instead of them meeting theirs (getting done quick). But the progress is really nice to have. I hope I get a chance to see the theater.

BTW: Nice sink! Where are you getting it and how much?

post #196 of 601 Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

They are doing a great job, but their pace is actually a little too fast at times. I had planned on posting a followup this morning, but I don't have the pictures uploaded yet, so I'll wait to get those before telling my story.

I have to thank CuznEddy for the sink idea. I saw it in his thread asked him for specifics:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=218

I purchased it directly from www.premiercopperproducts.com. The total came out to just about $300! Significantly less than I was expecting. Andrew has been great with whom to work.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #197 of 601 Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Well, the contractor is ahead of schedule. The framing, plumbing, HVAC, and electrical rough-ins are done and inspected. Originally, the insulation company was going to be here on Monday, but I found out yesterday that this was moved up to today! I was up until 2:30 am this morning running the low-volt wiring.

Here are the fallen heroes:

Here are the ones to carry on:

I didn't have any zip ties or low-volt boxes on hand, so I am going to pick those up today and tidy up my installation tonight. I'm also going to install a 3" conduit between the a/v room and the equipment room in case I need to do some future upgrades. This will be used almost immediately as my 45' HDMI cable won't be delivered until Monday, which is when the drywall crew is going to be here!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #198 of 601 Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I'm glad I stayed up and ran my wire last night. This is what I came home to today:

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #199 of 601 Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

I have a pretty cool update. A fellow member has offered to make me a customized GUI for my touchpanel! I don't want to post his user name without his permission, but he does great work. Here's a quick example:

I also picked up a couple of Triad Gold Inroom LCR's. Now I can try the inwalls and the inrooms in the screen wall and see which I like best.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #200 of 601 Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Yesterday I finished with my low-volt wiring (I had missed a room and had to add some boxes and neaten up my wiring). The insulation guys put the insulation in to code, but they missed a couple of areas that I need to finish up. So, tonight I'll be adding insulation to the bathroom wall and to the lower part of one of the theater walls. I also need to clean everything out so that the drywallers have free reign of the place tomorrow.

Also, I've been updating my links and other things in the first posts. If you haven't taken a look recently, there is a lot of new material. Today I added info on building a riser.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #201 of 601 Old 06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Wow, that GUI looks awesome. Be nice to have something similar on your screen before a movie.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

post #202 of 601 Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that GUI looks awesome. Be nice to have something similar on your screen before a movie.

I know.. I am flabergasted at the offer.. I just hope that my theater lives up to the help that everyone has given.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #203 of 601 Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely Awesome!!! Whom ever did it could make some extra cash on the side here. I'm sure others would hire him for such a nice custom job. Ask him (or her - I know I can't make the assumption) if interested.

Great progress on your theater, it's really coming together real fast!!!

Ray

post #204 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Absolutely Awesome!!! Whom ever did it could make some extra cash on the side here. I'm sure others would hire him for such a nice custom job. Ask him (or her - I know I can't make the assumption) if interested.

I agree, but he said that he's too busy with his real job! He is just going to have a little down time and is helping me out so he doesn't get bored. I love ADHD

Also, at his request, I updated the GUI's a couple of posts up with some updated ones. Check them out!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #205 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Also, at his request, I updated the GUI's a couple of posts up with some updated ones. Check them out!CJ

This is totally awesome!

By the way, I missed your thing about mymovies, it does work on XP/Vista nowbut its still not great unless its totally unlocked. I guess what I wanted to know was how does the audio and video compare out of the NMT to say a straight dvd/blue ray disk? Any noticeable defects in terms of quality?

Great progress with your room, cant wait to see the finished result.

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #206 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess what I wanted to know was how does the audio and video compare out of the NMT to say a straight dvd/blue ray disk? Any noticeable defects in terms of quality?

I am storing them uncompressed, so there is no loss of quality. With the proper software, you can also choose which audio streams you want to keep and delete the rest, which saves some room. Still each file is around 30GB for a BluRay movie.

You could also convert them into several lossy formats, but I'm only doing that to DVD's that I don't really watch. All of the BluRays are uncompressed since I don't buy any that I wouldn't watch several times.

Quote:

Great progress with your room, cant wait to see the finished result.

Thanks- I can't wait!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #207 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a pretty cool update. A fellow member has offered to make me a customized GUI for my touchpanel! I don't want to post his user name without his permission, but he does great work. Here's a quick example:

I also picked up a couple of Triad Gold Inroom LCR's. Now I can try the inwalls and the inrooms in the screen wall and see which I like best.

CJ

That is completely awesome CJ! Very nice chap and quite talented. I'm curious to hear your impressions on the inwalls vs the inrooms. Of course, I'm hoping you come back and say, "Without a doubt, the inwalls are better ".

post #208 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

That is completely awesome CJ! Very nice chap and quite talented. I'm curious to hear your impressions on the inwalls vs the inrooms. Of course, I'm hoping you come back and say, "Without a doubt, the inwalls are better ".

Me too, though I'm guessing that I'll say, "can't hear a difference!"

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

post #209 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too, though I'm guessing that I'll say, "can't hear a difference!"

CJ

Actually, I'll be equally happy with that answer as well!

post #210 of 601 Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, but he said that he's too busy with his real job! He is just going to have a little down time and is helping me out so he doesn't get bored. I love ADHD

Also, at his request, I updated the GUI's a couple of posts up with some updated ones. Check them out!

CJ

Wow! Like I said, AWESOME! Too bad he doesn't have time for others, he's very talented and you're very lucky!

Love the progress.

Ray

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page