What would you do if your doors arrived with thinner than expected raised panels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I ordered two custom 8.0x3.0 doors for my theater that are 1-3/4" thick. I don't know much about doors and I thought that once I went to 1-3/4" thickness it would be the same as an exterior door. It turns out however that the manufacturer of the doors uses only a 3/4" panel for the raised panels, which dips to a very thin 1/4" at the stile and rails. The only thing that's actually 1-3/4" are the stiles and rails! They are two panel doors so most of the door is the panel.

If I ordered the same door from them at 1-3/4" thickness as an exterior door the raised panels would have been 1-1/2". This was my fault for not noticing as the manufacturer built what we ordered.

The saving grace, if there is one, is that there are two of these doors to enter my theater. I have a space that's about 3.5' wide between the doors. I was really trying to overdo the door requirements. I have put a lot of time and expense into sound sound isolation including these doors including having them routed at the factory for zero international auto door bottoms, door stops, etc.

My questions to you all, especially acousticians, is do you think that since I have two doors I will be able to meet the a bar of having a door system that's at least as good as my wall system with RSIC+DD+100% GG...and would you replace the doors if it were your room?

Just the thought of replacing them sickens me, but I am an major perfectionist and a just a little obsessive about getting things right. I might be able to lay off if I felt comfortable it would be OK.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Sounds like a weak link in all the work that went into the room.
Can you beef up the doors with some add on acoustical treatment?

"but I am an major perfectionist" I think you already know the answer.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I could probably beef one of them up, but I don't think I would like the aesthetic. I think I'm going to have to buy new doors.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
This is why we recommend interior solid core slabs in a "flush" configuration. That is, no divided panels at all. It's a function vs. fashion deal here.

While your doors are made of Oak, and intuitively that's pretty solid, however as you see they aren't.

OK Solution: On the theater side door surface, add a sheet of plywood, MDF or high density (underlayment grade) particleboard. You could consider some Green Glue there, but there's limited surface area for contact. You will also be trapping a small amount of air, which will be problematic as well.

Good Solution: On the same theater side door surface, completely fill in the recessed panels with automotive Bondo or epoxy. Then GG a panel to this finished surface.

Better Solution: Green Glue the recessed areas first, let GG dry, then pour a leveling epoxy over recessed areas to create a single flat surface. Then GG a panel to this new surface.

Best Solution: Replace the door slabs with solid core interior slabs. These could be particleboard, MDF or mineral core slabs. In actuality, this isn't as sound isolating as the "better" solution above, it has the highest performance to PIA factor.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #5 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The fact you have that space between two doors DOES make a difference. I personally have Three sets of doors to get into my theater and as you shut each door any sound escaping decreases a lot. to nothing beyond door number 3. Have you actually hung and tried the doors to see what the sound leakage is?

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd second McCall's advice - if you already ahve the doors, I'd put in the threshold, hand them and hear what the results are. If there is more sound excaping than you would like, go with one of Ted's recommendations. If the sound level is acceptable, do nothing.

I'm suprised the panels were so thin - on my 1.75", 6-panel door the panels are less than 1.75", but they are well above .75".
post #7 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
To the OP, in addition to my previous advice, have a look at my doors which are Safe and Sound Panel doors but then I put my own treatments over the entire panel areas those areas are covered in 1/2" plywood and two inches of foam covered with velvet and that is each side of the door so the door panel areas are about 4" thick total. anyway takes care of any shortcomings of the panel area of the doors.

Just click on my theater thread link in my signature line and scroll down to where it shows doors. I doubt you will need treatments once you hang the doors and try it though.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

McCall/Kevin/Ted,

Thanks for the comments. I have not tried the doors yet. Frankly, I figured they were just so far off the specification that I may not bother. I'm thinking about changing that approach but I'm still vacillating.

Did any of you personally weigh or otherwise find out what your doors weigh? If so, can you share the results?

I've looked at a lot of doors on the forum and many people don't use flat solid doors...for aesthetics I'm sure. Of course everyone has their own requirements in addition to those of the designers.

Thanks!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page