My HT Room is born today......20x11 Garage Conversion - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What are the dimensions on those posters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Those mini posters were done on 8.5x11" photo paper. Some of them were configured to be printed that way and others had to be cropped a bit to fit.....They came out looking really good....The other posters are the regular 27x40.
post #33 of 47 Old 11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

Those mini posters were done on 8.5x11" photo paper. Some of them were configured to be printed that way and others had to be cropped a bit to fit.....They came out looking really good....The other posters are the regular 27x40.

They look great! I'm planning to do mini's coming up the stairs, and the selection of pre-made is slim pickin's. Care to share your source and technique...you know, so we can steal your design (or as the French call it, homage)

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #34 of 47 Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonthorn View Post

I am just starting my room, and I too was planning on using carpet tile due to cost.

@OP: very nice conversion! I'm nearing the end of my own 2 car-under (in home) conversion myself.

@gonthorn: I had to make a compromise recently regarding carpeting my risers. I decided to take a chance on speaker carpet from Parts Express. At $0.50/sqft (add shipping...for me it worked out to $0.83/sqft) it can't be beat. Comes 48" wide for the latex backed stuff and is sold by the yard. Color choices are very limited (jet black, and a couple of grays I think). The stuff seems tough (kinda like what you find in a car), and is VERY easy to work with. I've got it bent around bull noses and corners with ease. Might be an option for you.
post #35 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

They look great! I'm planning to do mini's coming up the stairs, and the selection of pre-made is slim pickin's. Care to share your source and technique...you know, so we can steal your design (or as the French call it, homage)

CD

I found those posters at http://www.movieweb.com/
Some of the posters they have up there arent high resolution enough to look good on a full sheet. I used HP photo paper and printed these off my $100 Hp photo printer....I love the way they came out and have gotten a lot of compliments on them. Thanks for the compliments on the room too. Hopefully by Saturday it will be complete with the bottom row of chairs....
post #36 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Bad link runback,

http://www.movieweb.com/

Strange, mine doesn't work either... you have to type it yourself to get to it.
post #37 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. I want to do something going up the stairs from the basement. I was thinking of finding some scenes online from famous movies and printing them out in black and white, kind of a memory lane thing. The other idea was to have some miniature posters.

I noticed that most of the movie posters on movieweb are fairly small images. Did you use those or luck out and find some that were higher resolution?
post #38 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

None of them are really high resolution. The ones I printed out were 800x1200 but they came out very good with no pixelation and excellent colors. I tried printing out the Iron Man poster (the teaser with just the mask) but it came out too dark. That one had a much lower resolution. That was the only one I really had a problem with. I was concerned that they wouldnt print out good but they exceeded my expectations. Just make sure you use quality photo paper. I picked up some cheapy photo paper at Big Lots and the difference was amazing compared to the HP Photo Paper. The HP paper made the pictures much more vibrant and nearly flawless.
post #39 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Jason, if you go into the movie of your choice then right above the tabs it shows i.e.
"Movies > Eagle Eye" click eagle eye, once there you can click on the poster to bring to different posters for the movie. Click the poster of choice for a larger image. I'm copying and pasting the resulting image should be perfect for the size runback indicated.
post #40 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The resolution varies by image, so I guess it's just a matter of trial and error. I have high-end Canon photo printer that I use to print the pictures I take with my DSLR, so I'll give it a shot with one of the movies and see how it looks. Runback22, yours look awesome, so I have high hopes
post #41 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

looks really good, I would reccomend you put one of the aluminum pans under your hot water heater that and run a drain line out the extertior wall (I have had 2 hot water heaters now that the bottom rusted out in) first one nearly destroyed a wood floor, second one filled the pan and drained and there was no damage, $22 dollars and 3 hours of your time to put in but in a room full of electronics it might be worth the hassle
post #42 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

The resolution varies by image, so I guess it's just a matter of trial and error. I have high-end Canon photo printer that I use to print the pictures I take with my DSLR, so I'll give it a shot with one of the movies and see how it looks. Runback22, yours look awesome, so I have high hopes

Thanks....most of the images are high enough resolution to print out at that size. Out of 12 images I had, only 2 werent high enough (Iron Man and Jurassic Park). They should come out very clean although you may have to crop some of the length on most of them...

As far as the water heater, its on my list of things to do. Its still a relatively new house (>3 yrs old), but I know its better to be safe than sorry. Once I get everything settled, its going to be high on my to do list....
post #43 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

I found those posters at http://www.movieweb.com/
Some of the posters they have up there arent high resolution enough to look good on a full sheet. I used HP photo paper and printed these off my $100 Hp photo printer....I love the way they came out and have gotten a lot of compliments on them. Thanks for the compliments on the room too. Hopefully by Saturday it will be complete with the bottom row of chairs....

Thanks. Only problem with that site seems to be it only lists movies that are currently playing somewhere? Even though you can drag up some older titles...for example, Reservoir Dogs came up, so it must be playing somewhere, but not Kill Bill...not all of them are available. Anyone know of a similar site, with a more complete db?

EDIT - You can find some of those other movies there; do a 'search', not 'film search'.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #44 of 47 Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Try google. If you type in "iron man movie poster" or "kill bill move poster" and then click on images, there are a lot of choices.
post #45 of 47 Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I read all the time on these forums that your HT is never quite finished. Oh how true that is. I was never quite happy with what I thought was the finished product so I made some changes.

Added some sound panels and it not only made the room sound better, but it also made the room look better. I love the look of these things.

Finally painted the door black to match the panels...

The biggest change was switching to Wilsonart Designer White and I couldnt be happier. I tried the Platinum Casa silver screen and changed to BOC. The DW smokes them both. I love it.

Composite video old school gaming baby!

Finally, here is a pic with both rows of seating

That should get me as close as complete as I'm going to get. It matches my original vision for my modest HT.
post #46 of 47 Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

post #47 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Liked: 0
This may be an old post, but the garage conversion story is still very inspiring. Too bad the photos are a little dark.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page