Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I'm at the riser construction point and I don't know which way to go. I originally was hoping to get 8 seats (Berk 088s) in the theater but now I'm wondering if I'm trying to squeeze too many seats in. I'm wondering if 6 seats would be better.

The theater is 141 inches wide column-to-column and 156 inches wide wal-to-wall. The attached layout shows the two seating configurations and the aisle widths I'd be left with.

Although I'd love to get 8 seats in there, would it be better with only six? What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Andy
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Personal opinion, if you can get away with approximately 2 feet of clearance on each side, then you are good to go. This is a one-purpose room, to be a dedicated home theater, so as long as you have about 22" or more of room between the edges of the seats and the walls/columns then go with whatever you can get away with. I am personally leaving about 24" of room between the walls and seats, the seating on a HT recliner/seat is normally 22"-24" wide, so take that same measurement when accounting for walking room.

Just remember, it's always nice to have both rows centers on the screen, rather than zig-zag them with one row in and one row out, but I dont think thats a deal breaker if you dont do it that way, its whatever looks good to you.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another option would be to make the back row two love seats (or 2 sets of 2 recliners) and put the aisle in the middle with the row of three in front.

This would retain the symmetry of the 6 seat option yet get you an extra seat (7 total).

[O][O]....[O][O] back row with aisle in middle
....[O][O][O]..... front row of three
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM

Where are you planning on putting your side speakers? I originally was going to put 4 seats in the back of my HT, but put the 4 in front and left 3 in back (thanfully, before I started on the riser). I didn't think 2' was enough (a standard interior door is 32" wide and I wanted at least that much walkway), so that's why I went the way I did. Check out my link thread in my sig if you want to see how it turned out.

My recommendation is to put up something of a barrier showing you what that distance will be like for you/people to walk through and then make your own decision. Hope this helps!

Check out my "Too many decisions" build here:
Too many decisions...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't like being squished but having had people over for movies I don't like groups of three seats. For couples night it tends to be an awkward seating moment when people figure out who sits by who.

I vote for 8 seater.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think you would have to offset to the side if you want to fit in 8 seats. My theater is 168" wide, slightly wider than yours, and it just fits with 4 seats across. I have the 45004 Berlines (same width as the 088's) in a chair:loveseat:chair configuration.

For the same configuration in your theater, I'd think you woudl have to push them all the way to one wall to get an adequate walkway. That said, I think it would be worthwhile. People often come in pairs and it's nice to have enough seating for all in one row.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your ideas and comment. Keep'em coming... I can't decide!

My side surrounds are in the column in-between the rows. I know it's not the best for the rear row but it is what it is.

I don't think I have enough room to split the rear row and put an aisle in the middle. Plus navigating the riser would be more difficult in that arrangement. I wish I had room for that.

The plan is to entertain groups of people (couples mostly) so the "pairs" issue makes a difference as ya'll mentioned. Going with 8 would mean off-setting the rear row at the very least. I hadn't thought of off-setting both rows. I really am not a big fan off center seating though.

Here are a couple more pics to get an idea of the space. Maybe it'll help.

Sigh...
LL
LL
Old 08-19-2008, 08:27 AM

I have 2 rows of 3, but they are bigger seats (studio). On nights with tons of friends and family, with the bigger seats, we can sometimes sit 12. The width is 11.75' with one side having 15" and other other having 11". The 11" side is rarely used. I do like the seats center to the screen. Since this is a dedicated room, the lack of walking space was as important.

In your setup, I would consider doing either 2 rows of 3 wedged or go with 3 in front and love seat in middle, then 2 on side.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen View Post

In your setup, I would consider doing either 2 rows of 3 wedged or go with 3 in front and love seat in middle, then 2 on side.

I agree, after seeing pictures of your room, I cannot recommend anything beyond two rows of 3's....the more seats you put in the narrower and smaller the room gets. The most you can get away as far as two rows of 4 will be by using a Center Love Seat on both rows. You have to be able to walk through between the seats and wall without having to go sideways....you will need atleast 24" of clearance to walk through which will also help the room look less stuffy and crowded with large furniture. My theater is over 172" wide, and I chose to go with two rows of 3's at 123" wide curved set. check out the link below to see the picture of the seats.

http://hometheatersupplies.net/files/para.JPG
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Do you need to access the back row from both sides? I have a 109" back wall and went with 101" of rear seating. Of course, I didn't need an isle, as my configuration is a little different.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I agree, after seeing pictures of your room, I cannot recommend anything beyond two rows of 3's....the more seats you put in the narrower and smaller the room gets. The most you can get away as far as two rows of 4 will be by using a Center Love Seat on both rows. You have to be able to walk through between the seats and wall without having to go sideways....you will need atleast 24" of clearance to walk through which will also help the room look less stuffy and crowded with large furniture. My theater is over 172" wide, and I chose to go with two rows of 3's at 123" wide curved set. check out the link below to see the picture of the seats.

Totally agreed. If it wasn't for the great price I got for these seats, I would have went with 2 row of 88 straight because of the room size. If I had went with the 88 back then, I would still be seating on folding chairs due to budget. Life is always about compromise.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Totally agreed. If it wasn't for the great price I got for these seats, I would have went with 2 row of 88 straight because of the room size. If I had went with the 88 back then, I would still be seating on folding chairs due to budget. Life is always about compromise.

I think I just changed my mind on the seats....I am gonna get these instead (front row of 3 seaters at 101" wide between columns with about 4 feet of walking room left, and back row of 4 seaters at 134" wide with about almost 4 feet of walking room as well since there are no columns at the back row)

Check out the seats below...I had originally ordered the ones above but I asked David with HomeTheaterSupplies Not to ship them out yet, and I am glad I did ask him to because now that the framing and drywall is up, it puts everything into perspective and your room becomes much smaller than originally thought. So the original seats will be too much of a tight fit in the front row.

So I am getting these instead (3 in front, and 4 in back)

http://hometheatersupplies.net/files/show_black_3.JPG

Thats 7 HT recliner seats shipped for little about $2100
Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 6 of the Showtimes and love them. If you check the build thread in my signature, I have a few pictures posted of them, in case you're wondering what they look like when not photographed by pros.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

I have 6 of the Showtimes and love them. If you check the build thread in my signature, I have a few pictures posted of them, in case you're wondering what they look like when not photographed by pros.

WHOA!!!!! they are awesome!! I guess great minds think alike. So they are called "Showtime" and you bought them from Home Theater Supplies as well? I will be getting a 7th seat for the back row of 4, I figured worst case I can take it out if its too much but I think I have the room for it.

Your photos are way better than the stock photos which do not do them justice. You ought to send some nice shots of the seats to David, so he can update his site, they almost look gray on his site even though they are black.

Man I am so glad you ran across this thread, now I am extremely happy with the decision I made today, I cant wait to get them next week. So I gotta make sure taping/mudding id finished by Friday so I can paint the ceiling black Saturday and Sunday. I still wont have carpet, but I am tired of waiting for the seats, I think as long as I get the painting out of the way, those babies can come to their new home

BTW, I am gonna be reading your thread and bugging you about lighting questions, your lighting looks MAGNIFICENT! The soffit lighting is out of this world, and I will definitely try to mimic your set up.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have 2 rows of 3, but they are bigger seats (studio). On nights with tons of friends and family, with the bigger seats, we can sometimes sit 12. The width is 11.75' with one side having 15" and other other having 11". The 11" side is rarely used. I do like the seats center to the screen. Since this is a dedicated room, the lack of walking space was as important.

How do you get 12 people in six seats? Must have some skinny friends.

No, I don't need aisle access on both sides - just one. It looks like I can go with a 4 straight center loveseat configuration on both rows, centered, and have about 16 inches for an aisle but only by the column. Past the column it goes to 22 inches. If I shift both rows off center by a seat width, that will leave me with a 24" aisle by the column.

Time to build some mockup seats...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHOA!!!!! they are awesome!! I guess great minds think alike. So they are called "Showtime" and you bought them from Home Theater Supplies as well? I will be getting a 7th seat for the back row of 4, I figured worst case I can take it out if its too much but I think I have the room for it.

Your photos are way better than the stock photos which do not do them justice. You ought to send some nice shots of the seats to David, so he can update his site, they almost look gray on his site even though they are black.

Man I am so glad you ran across this thread, now I am extremely happy with the decision I made today, I cant wait to get them next week. So I gotta make sure taping/mudding id finished by Friday so I can paint the ceiling black Saturday and Sunday. I still wont have carpet, but I am tired of waiting for the seats, I think as long as I get the painting out of the way, those babies can come to their new home

BTW, I am gonna be reading your thread and bugging you about lighting questions, your lighting looks MAGNIFICENT! The soffit lighting is out of this world, and I will definitely try to mimic your set up.

The seats are manufactured by Coaster. The model is Showtime. I actually got mine from Stargate Cinema during a promotion they were having. I actually had them delivered less than a week from the time I ordered. I'm pretty pleased with them. The price was right, and they have a smaller footprint than most seats, which is what I needed for my room. I would have preferred to have seating for 8, but the room wasn't wide enough. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks for the positive comments on my build. Feel free to ping me about the lighting. I don't think any of us on here get too tired of talking about this stuff
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The seats are manufactured by Coaster. The model is Showtime. I actually got mine from Stargate Cinema during a promotion they were having. I actually had them delivered less than a week from the time I ordered. I'm pretty pleased with them. The price was right, and they have a smaller footprint than most seats, which is what I needed for my room. I would have preferred to have seating for 8, but the room wasn't wide enough. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks for the positive comments on my build. Feel free to ping me about the lighting. I don't think any of us on here get too tired of talking about this stuff

Thanks dude, I will definitely hit you up when its time to so soffit rope lighting. As far as shipping, I purposely asked HomeTheaterSupplies to hold my first order because I didnt have any room to put the seats in, and I am kinda glad because it worked out better this way where I was able to change my mind without having to ship these monsterous seats back to get the Showtime ones. Well I feel bad I am talking on someone else's thread...

Andy, whats the verdict on the seating?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 PM

I have Coaster Showtime seats as well, and they will allow you to have four seats in your space without giving up too much. I would have gone with Berkline 088's if I had the space, but I didn't. Besides, I got in on a great deal through the Forum and the price was just right for my needs.

I have some beanbag seats for "overflow" that work very well in the front between the stage and the first row, especially for the younger kids.

Ken
Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually glad I went with these over the Berks. I sat in some Berks at stores this weekend and honestly couldn't see myself spending 2-3X what I paid to move to those.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm actually glad I went with these over the Berks. I sat in some Berks at stores this weekend and honestly couldn't see myself spending 2-3X what I paid to move to those.

Exactly! I cant see why some will pay the same price to only get 3 Berklines compared to 6-7 non-berkline seats with the same quality....I just got the final invoice from David at HomeTheaterSupplies.net and the total with Shipping included for all 7 Showtime seats was $2150, that's $300 per seat...thats a steal! I cannot wait to get them!!! WOOHOOO!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 PM

I bought the Berk 45012's b/c of the height of the back. I'm 6'4" and these are the only chairs I've found that are tall enough to actually support my hole head and not make me look like the reach toothbrush commercial man...

Also, the power recline is definitely a cool option. I think it adds something to the theater - based on all the comments I've had by visitors.

Check out my "Too many decisions" build here:
Too many decisions...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I checked out HomeTheaterSupplies.net for the seats you're talking about. Yeah, those are a sweet deal! I wonder if the Showtimes come in a loveseat configuration?

Ok, after much deliberation, the plan is to build the riser big enough to leave a 25 inch aisle on one side of the room. It will be approx 122" wide and 72" deep. That size will be plenty for 3 centered seats and also have room for a row of 4 if we go that route. This way I can keep building and mull over the seating longer.

When I'm done with the riser I'm going to use some 1x2s and mock up 3 and 4 seat rows to see how it works out in the real world.

Geesh, it seems like the work is never ending!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So I am getting these instead (3 in front, and 4 in back)

http://hometheatersupplies.net/files/show_black_3.JPG

Those are the same seats I have and in the same configuration (3 in front, 4 in back).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy238 View Post

I checked out HomeTheaterSupplies.net for the seats you're talking about. Yeah, those are a sweet deal! I wonder if the Showtimes come in a loveseat configuration?

Ok, after much deliberation, the plan is to build the riser big enough to leave a 25 inch aisle on one side of the room. It will be approx 122" wide and 72" deep. That size will be plenty for 3 centered seats and also have room for a row of 4 if we go that route. This way I can keep building and mull over the seating longer.

When I'm done with the riser I'm going to use some 1x2s and mock up 3 and 4 seat rows to see how it works out in the real world.

Geesh, it seems like the work is never ending!

Andy, welcome to our world bud! BTW, I had already asked David with HomeTheaterSupplies about the love seat configuration on the Showtimes when I put in my order yesterday and he said that you can turn two seats into a love seat, you just end up replacing the reclining mechanism latch with a pull string instead on one of the two seats, he said that its not hard and whenever I wanna go that route he can give me instructions or help me over the phone. He is a really nice guy. If you end up getting those chairs from him, do it soon because he's been talking about increasing his prices on the website which right now do not reflect the higher prices at his store. I paid $2150 with Shipping included for all 7 chairs (which is about $500 less than all the other HT websites out there) so tell him Sam sent you and hopefully he can work out a good deal for you as well (the owner's name is David).
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Those are the same seats I have and in the same configuration (3 in front, 4 in back).

Awesome! Pictures would be nice....it might even help Andy make his decision. I would also like to see how this 3-4 configuration looks like in a theater because I honestly cannot wait until next week to get them....must see pretty pictures now
Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for that info, Sam. Good to know.

Yeah, trouble is I've been in this world for going on two years now. I am ready to be done...
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You're only fooling yourself if you ever think you'll truly be "done" My last theater was finished I thought, before I decided I needed more stuff for the walls. Oh, then there were curtains.. Then a popcorn machine. By the tme I had it "finished" enough time had passed that I started thinking about upgrading my hardware

We are a very sick bunch, us HT freaks.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're only fooling yourself if you ever think you'll truly be "done" My last theater was finished I thought, before I decided I needed more stuff for the walls. Oh, then there were curtains.. Then a popcorn machine. By the tme I had it "finished" enough time had passed that I started thinking about upgrading my hardware

We are a very sick bunch, us HT freaks.

yep this whole construction process is tidious and never ending! I actually have almost everything as far as AV equipment, projector, receiver, speakers, sconces, pendant lights, 4" can lights, popcorn machine, beverage fridge all still in boxes, and I am getting the 7 chairs next week too....I just cannot wait until I finish this dang theater and start firing up these babies! I started the construction process in Mid June....about 2 months ago, the drywall went up over the weekend and bullnose/taping/mudding tomorrow and Friday. Painting the ceiling on Monday...hopefully when thats all finished by early next week, I can start getting inspired again....and start working on the stage/screen/riser/bar/doors/baseboard/trim/carpet/GOM-fabric-walls/acoustic-treatment....whoa!!! I gotta do all of this in 60 days!

<---------- looking around for aspirin!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Awesome! Pictures would be nice....it might even help Andy make his decision. I would also like to see how this 3-4 configuration looks like in a theater because I honestly cannot wait until next week to get them....must see pretty pictures now

Well, my theater is configured quite differently, but here's my 3-4 set up:

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent!!!! Thanks for the pictures, they look great man. I can hardly wait til my HT is finished.