The "Z" Family Theater - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The "Z" Family Theater
W00lly's Avatar W00lly 11:43 AM 12-08-2010
I have a new circle jig. check out http://www.rockler.com/ for router bits

yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 09:28 PM 12-08-2010
I'm still taking it easy on the subs as I believe in breaking in the suspension. So far, I enjoy them over the Klipsch. The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of plastic creaking and port noise (although I haven't really gotten any air moving through them). They do sound pretty clean and go pretty low.

I have played with placement behind the false wall without any other speakers up there; just running the rears as mains. With placement anywhere behind the false wall, I still fight the dead spots in about all the same spots. One thing I haven't tried is to elevate the subs a bit.

This is where I'm hoping the 3rd sub will help in the rear. I suppose I could play with some base trapping, I just don't have a ton of space to work with and don't want to out of place. I'll keep breaking these suckers in and see what they sound like, but I REALLY need to address the dead spots in my room. The bass sucks at my seating position compared to the back of the room and about 3 feet in front of the seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I have a new circle jig. check out http://www.rockler.com/ for router bits

Geeze, you seem to have everything. I'm feeling bad for always using your tools and such. I do enjoy coming out there though Laurie started staining the equipment rack, so it's finally getting done.

EDIT: Got a few better pics of the subs. They hide away quite nicely in the blackness . These pics are with the flash on.

Now that I've had them running all day, without cranking them up, I am really liking them. Even when I thought I was pushing them based on the sound I was getting, the cones were BARELY moving. To top it off, it sounds CLEAN compared to the port chuffing, plastic creaking Klipsch subs. I love my Klipsch speakers, but I'm glad I talked myself into spending extra money to replace the subs.
tony123's Avatar tony123 05:32 AM 12-09-2010
Jason, I can testify that room treatments are not to be overlooked! I had the same concerns you do with low sub performance at the seating position. I added bass traping and deflecting, and my sub performance literally DOUBLED!

Can't believe I'm saying this, as I've been skeptical all these years, but you should consider the extra money for a third sub might (likely) be better spent on room treatment.
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 10:00 AM 12-09-2010
I am definitely planning on acoustic treatment... The more and more I read, I see things saying that bass trapping doesn't really do anything for the really low stuff (<100hz). I'm going through your thread now.

I already have a free 12" woofer and the 3rd sub will really just be for fun, so I'll do both this and room treatment!
tony123's Avatar tony123 10:13 AM 12-09-2010
I have very little scientific knowlege, and read the same things you had regarding bass trapping. In my case, I added cabinets to the back of my room (I suppose they act as deflectors?) and the performance in my room for <100hz has dramatically improved. So much, that it isn't logical.

Not saying it's the answer in your room, but I've heard enough to know that it could be.
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 10:15 AM 12-09-2010
So you think the cabinets had more effect than that bass trapping up front?
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 07:40 PM 12-09-2010
I got a little work done today... I really hate insulation! I am glad that the LinAcoustic has a nice coating to prevent insulation from getting loose all the time.

It has definitely made the room a little more quiet, up front. I am going to place an order for a bunch of ATS acoustic panels here soon. I still have to get smart on bass trapping as I don't want to have to experiment too much. I did play with the sub placement behind the wall and they seem to sound the best near the center of the front wall. Elevating them on some soft foam did nothing.

I had a buddy over today and he instantly noticed how much cleaner the bass was with these SVS over the Klipsch.
HuskerOmaha's Avatar HuskerOmaha 01:58 PM 12-13-2010
I like the color choices.

Did you try running the projector with a white ceiling, and then after you painted?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my case.

I will probably start a build thread (too late I suppose!) in the non-dedicated rooms area.

I'm thinking if I can paint the area directly in front of a soffit in the middle of the room dark, then leave the back end of the room white, the wife won't care!

Cool HT!
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 02:29 PM 12-13-2010
I never tried running with a white ceiling as the wife doesn't have any say in this room. I really think the black sets it off. I'm not sure what you could dongle your setup, however your idea sound legit. You could always give it a shot!
HDvids4all's Avatar HDvids4all 02:52 PM 12-13-2010
Quick question...how did you install your linacoustic? Did you use spray adhesive and/or drywall screws? Getting ready to do the same soon myself, any feedback would be appreciated.
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 03:19 PM 12-13-2010
I used 3M's high strength spray adhesive. I put a coat on the wall and back side of the LinAcoustic, let it get tacky for a minute and stuck it to the wall. I feel better this way as it will contain the loose side of the fibers from getting airborn. I still need to seal up the edges and seams. I went looking for gaffers tape yesterday and came up empty. I'll have to order it.

I just placed an order this weekend for those piece-together frame stretchers to make my fabric frames. I got 8 pieces to test it out. If it works well, I'll measure and order the rest. They're on sale until 1 JAN. W00lly has a lot of spare Dazian Celtic fabric I think I'll take off his hands for the AT fabric.
Fastslappy's Avatar Fastslappy 10:32 PM 12-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I used 3M's high strength spray adhesive. I put a coat on the wall and back side of the LinAcoustic, let it get tacky for a minute and stuck it to the wall. I feel better this way as it will contain the loose side of the fibers from getting airborn. I still need to seal up the edges and seams. I went looking for gaffers tape yesterday and came up empty. I'll have to order it.

I just placed an order this weekend for those piece-together frame stretchers to make my fabric frames. I got 8 pieces to test it out. If it works well, I'll measure and order the rest. They're on sale until 1 JAN. W00lly has a lot of spare Dazian Celtic fabric I think I'll take off his hands for the AT fabric.

YamahaSHO can you link that site with frame stretchers ?
I looking for some ,thanx in advance !
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 10:54 PM 12-13-2010
Sure thing! There was a thread about it some time back and couldn't find it again, so luckly, W00lly saved it and passed it on. Here you go!

http://www.frenchcanvas.com/standard_stretcher_bar.asp#
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 10:59 PM 12-13-2010
Today, I was out staining the A/V rack that W00lly and I built months ago (I had to leave for a few months) and the wife got some 'action shots'.

Scott, did you ever get a chance to stain/poly yours?
HDvids4all's Avatar HDvids4all 06:49 AM 12-14-2010
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

I still need to seal up the edges and seams. I went looking for gaffers tape yesterday and came up empty. I'll have to order it.

Something to think about...instead of gaffers tape for seams behind my screen, I bought this Protostar light trap material that's intended for light absorption inside of telescopes. It's basically black velvet with a strong adhesive backing, absolutely no reflections whatsoever. I've seen pictures of the gaffers tape under a flash and it still reflects a good deal of light, which is what lead me to try this stuff out.
W00lly's Avatar W00lly 06:58 AM 12-14-2010
No I have not stained mine yet but do plan on working on it soon. I need to get my project finished so I can just power lounge in the winter
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 11:44 AM 12-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

Thanks for the info.

Something to think about...instead of gaffers tape for seams behind my screen, I bought this Protostar light trap material that's intended for light absorption inside of telescopes. It's basically black velvet with a strong adhesive backing, absolutely no reflections whatsoever. I've seen pictures of the gaffers tape under a flash and it still reflects a good deal of light, which is what lead me to try this stuff out.

I already ordered the tape, so I'll give it a shot first.

Quote:

No I have not stained mine yet but do plan on working on it soon. I need to get my project finished so I can just power lounge in the winter

That's pretty much what im doing. I'd like to relax when the weather sucks.
Fastslappy's Avatar Fastslappy 10:46 PM 12-14-2010
Quote:

That's pretty much what im doing. I'd like to relax when the weather sucks.

that's what I said last year when I Rebuilt/Modded the Klipsches , still haven't finished the grills Yet !
that's the problem when U fire up a killer HT damn it's hard to get anything done !
HuskerOmaha's Avatar HuskerOmaha 10:27 PM 12-15-2010
Did you use 2x8s?

I'm thinking I might just do one level, with 2x4s and then a little larger running curve with at least 20" on each corner so the subs can sit on a square...then copy the design for the ceiling marquee.

What is with the sand? To limit vibrations from the subs on the stage?

What am I missing? And after you tell me why, where and how much did you need?

Damn, now you guys have me convinced on a stage and marquee.

I like projects that miss deadlines
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 06:23 PM 12-16-2010
On the stage, I used 2x6's. IIRC, the top is 1", but could be 3/4". The sand is to limit resonance and energy transfer from the subs. Scott filled his completely as well. I think I have about 2,000 lbs of sand in mine.

I'm not gonna lie, the stage really sets these things off.
Jon_B's Avatar Jon_B 06:49 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

I'm not gonna lie, the stage really sets these things off.

I agree. I wish had approval to do a stage too.
W00lly's Avatar W00lly 08:19 PM 12-16-2010
Jon-B
You just build it then deal with the latter I'm one of the lucky few who's wife just goes along with what ever I decide to do because she knows it will be awesome in the end.
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 08:30 PM 12-16-2010
Quote:

Jon-B
You just build it then deal with the latter I'm one of the lucky few who's wife just goes along with what ever I decide to do because she knows it will be awesome in the end.

We're still talking about stages, right Scott?
mayhem13's Avatar mayhem13 08:51 PM 12-16-2010
Coming along nicely!
tony123's Avatar tony123 04:30 AM 12-17-2010
Quote:

So you think the cabinets had more effect than that bass trapping up front?

I missed this. Sorry. It's hard to answer that question, as there were so many changes all happening along the way. My gut is telling me, yes. It was sort of a "non event" when I put the trapping in the front. But this was an event to be sure. My wife came down from upstairs and asked what happened.

Front wall looks nice and clean!
HuskerOmaha's Avatar HuskerOmaha 05:33 AM 12-17-2010
I'm used to the NO now.

Just kidding, she is pretty fair. Just thinks it would be too much. It can easily be added down the road.....
Jon_B's Avatar Jon_B 08:36 AM 12-17-2010
Wooly - that might be the best game plan.
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 07:36 PM 12-28-2010
Thanks to the wife, she got me something to add to the theater for Christmas.

xzener's Avatar xzener 08:26 PM 12-28-2010
Love the sign. "Welcome to the" and "Family Theater" look opaque... Is it back lit?? Where do you plan to hang it??
yamahaSHO's Avatar yamahaSHO 08:29 PM 12-28-2010
That lettering is some type of holographic deal. If you move it around, it looks spherical.

I think I'll hang it in above the theater doors in the other room.
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop