The "Z" Family Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jason, here is a picture of CJO's build. See how he drywalled the ceiling and walls before the soffits went up?

Attachment 149563
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

You might want to check out this link that Chiahead found. There is lots of info on that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Anyone else fireblocking? having trouble finding info on it? Those little diagrams they give you at the permit office want to make you pull out your hair?

Check out this link:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-f...framing-37190/

Pics of actual situations and how to fix them. I think it made the little light turn on (yes it is dim, but we all gotta do our part to conserve)

AWESOME! You ROCK! I will read this thread thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop View Post

I hate to say this, but the easiest and best way to fix the fire-blocking problem would be to take the soffits down and drywall the walls up to the ceiling first. Then put the soffits back up. You get the added benefit of better sound isolation as well. You would only need one layer of drywall as a fire block. Put the soffits back up, then add your second layer on the walls. The soffits should come down in one large piece, so no need to rebuild them.

The other issue is that there is a large gap created at the top of the decoupled walls when you furred them out from the existing wall. That gap may need to be filled as well. In my theater I drywalled the ceiling "before" I put up my decoupled walls. That way I had a fire block in place already.

Of course, I would call the inspectors office first before you begin pulling down the soffits just to make sure.

I know the last thing you want to do is create a fire hazard in your new theater. But the way it looks now it would definitely fail an inspection in my area.

Sorry if I am raining on your parade here. But such is the life of a DIY theater build. Lets us know what you find out from the inspector's office.

Pulling the soffits down would not be an option as they are glued in addition to screws. I'll talk to an inspector, however, I don't think there is anything that would burn in the retaining wall considering it is all metal. Now that I think of it, I can use that expandable foam to seal off the back of the wall (per stud) to the outer wall... Sound like a good idea?

I think the easiest way would be to block off the joists where the soffit meets and also block off in the soffit every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Yamaha,

Great build so far!! This is going to sound a little OT but I was wondering what is going on outside your windows.
Is your basement partially daylight and those a part of a retaining wall? I ask this because I am in the process of building a house and working with a builder. The lot I am looking at does not have enough slope for a true daylight basement so I was looking for any alternatives. If this is the case is there anyway you have an outside pic that shows them? This would help me out a bunch!

Thanks and I will be following your build!!!

Luke

Luke, thanks for the compliments!

I can take a picture of the outside when I get home tonight. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Are you trying to get more light in, block it out more, etc?

I planned to put a grate on the top of the windows so the kids don't fall in, but other than that, just some blinds and curtains for when I really want to block out the light.

I do appreciate everyone's input as I want to do this right the first time.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Almost "complete".
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #93 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason, here is a picture of CJO's build. See how he drywalled the ceiling and walls before the soffits went up?

Attachment 149563

The only problem with that is I couldn't drywall the ceiling first in over half of the tray as I had HVAC and/or a beam in the way. The soffit was originally put on two sides to hide all of it.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #94 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Didn't realize you had glued the soffits in place. Makes since though.

That foam sounds like a good idea for the gap in between the 2 walls at the top plates. All you need for the soffits is blocking between the studs about an inch below the soffits and that should be fine then. That will also give you a nailer for your drywall.

Sorry for stirring up a hornets nest on you.
post #95 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The only issue I can see with the foam is that if you placed your walls off the foundation wall to decouple them, well, you just coupled them.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
post #96 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't realize you had glued the soffits in place. Makes since though.

That foam sounds like a good idea for the gap in between the 2 walls at the top plates. All you need for the soffits is blocking between the studs about an inch below the soffits and that should be fine then. That will also give you a nailer for your drywall.

Are we talking about horizontal or vertical blocking? I'm just trying to be on the same page as you.

Quote:

Sorry for stirring up a hornets nest on you.

No problem. You have made me more aware of something I hadn't thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

The only issue I can see with the foam is that if you placed your walls off the foundation wall to decouple them, well, you just coupled them.

I don't think see a reason not to couple them. They're only moved away to get a straight wall. If I couple it to 1" thick solid concrete, it's not like it will resonate

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #97 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

"Are we talking about horizontal or vertical blocking? I'm just trying to be on the same page as you."

Horizontal. All along the bottom of the soffits about an inch down so you can also use them as nailers for the drywall.

I don't think the foam will couple the walls. It's pretty flexible and full of air bubbles, and will be only along the top plates.
post #98 of 409 Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So you're talking about covering the bottom of the soffit? Drywall will take care of that. Maybe I'm not following?

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #99 of 409 Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

No, there's no SHO Mustang, but yes, I have a Taurus SHO (hence the screen name).

Awesome SHO. I had a 91 for about two months and loved it.

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
post #100 of 409 Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash View Post

Awesome SHO. I had a 91 for about two months and loved it.

Two months? What happened? I'll always have a place for the SHO... I've loved them since since high school. I actually just picked up another toy recently and it's been fun right out of the box (although I have modded it) .

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #101 of 409 Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Jason,

Any thoughts on the new SHO that's coming out....?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #102 of 409 Old 08-09-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A buddy and I wired up the speaker wire tonight. I've got 10 AWG run to 7 different placed. I am going to run some tubing through the walls for the subs so I can experiment with coax first and if I don't like it, I can pull it out and run something different. What I am wondering is if it would be a problem if I ran the two sub cables to the same wall box (double gang) as one of the front speakers? I think it would look better, and I can keep everything separated prior to the box. Any suggestions? Bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Jason,

Any thoughts on the new SHO that's coming out....?

I'm not sure yet. There's been a lot of hype over the new SHO on the SHO Forum that I've already grown tired of it. I think it's close to what the original SHO set to be, but something just isn't right about it. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to have a better opinion. I can't wait to pull up to one of the new ones and have a run... I'm sure I'll surpise the old guy driviing it

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #103 of 409 Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Good to see that you are making some progress on your theater.

post #104 of 409 Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Two months? What happened? I'll always have a place for the SHO... I've loved them since since high school. I actually just picked up another toy recently and it's been fun right out of the box (although I have modded it) .

Well first I couldnt get it to pass emissions. I was going to have to start trying to replace different parts (cat, 02 sensor, ect.), then the clutch went. I didnt have a $1000 to sink into the car, so donated to a local charity.

I thoroughly regret it now that I am older.

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
post #105 of 409 Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My buddy and I are starting to get things sealed up, glued, secured, etc. I have run the speaker wire and Cat6, so I just have coax to run into the next room. I have installed some tubing for the subwoofer outs so that I can run my cable later. The room is starting to take shape, sorta.

In combination with glue in all the joints and anwhere there is metal to metal contact, the insulation really helps keep the rattling and resonance down. Actually, I don't have any rattes and the studs almost feel solid.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #106 of 409 Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Jason - Looking Good!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #107 of 409 Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Up next is to install the can lights, projector mount, conduit to the projector, and finish taping off all the seams for the HVAC. After that, I'll insulate the tray and ceiling.

One more picture of insulation...

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #108 of 409 Old 08-28-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Getting closer

Scott

Current Photo's

post #109 of 409 Old 08-28-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looking good. Nice looking soffits!

Do you hate insulation yet?

John
post #110 of 409 Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It goes rediculously slow as I start to advance, I find something else I want to 'improve' on. Oh yes, I'm ready to be done with insulation. The first day I started, I had on shorts, short sleeves and no gloves (did have eye protection though).

When are you going to be out this way Scott?

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #111 of 409 Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm on the south end of Bellevue. I'm going to check out Scott's theater soon, but would love to see yours as well!

Sweet... I live pretty close to you Im in Old Town. Did you enjoy the air show last weekend?

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #112 of 409 Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It made me wish my basement was done so I can go down and watch some tv. It was Loud as I live a mile from the south gate and my back yard over-looks the base.

I have called a few people to get drywall estimates. Hopefully I can set a date for them to start this month!

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #113 of 409 Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Aren't you done yet?

post #114 of 409 Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been out of town for a week now and currently in Denver. I should have drywall going in this month. I would have liked to use last weekend to finish up what I needed for drywall to happen.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #115 of 409 Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any updates?

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #116 of 409 Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had to take a two week break due to traveling for work. I started working on it again last night and will head down there in an hour or so when the wife leaves to a baby shower. We cleaned it up last night and took out there trash box. I just havea few more things to fix up and I'll have the drywaller here next week.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #117 of 409 Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Just wanted to make a comment, which occured to me when a friend (who is going to be my frame guy) recommend metal framing. If you are going to put in a light tray in the future, make sure you put in backing NOW in some of those verticle sofit pieces. I am going wood, but I don't think that even the light weight of a rope tray will hold with just nails into metal framing. You might be albe to get away with just gluing the light tray to the drywall, but I would not risk that.
post #118 of 409 Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been completing a lot of the little odds and ends and almost completely done with insulation. YES, I HATE insulation now. My hosting site is giving me issues right now, so I can't get the pics up right now.

I plan to be completely ready for drywall this weekend. While I have some daylight over the weekend, I will pull the existing wire for the lights in the basment and run some of the new wire down to an existing switch. That should be the last step before drywall!

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #119 of 409 Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, here are some pictures. Nevermind the mess... I'm still working on it. I have made it a goal to have it completely ready for drywall THIS weekend.

I am going with in wall/ceiling speaker for the "other room" (not theater), so I built some boxes for the rears in the ceiling. Basically it is two 2x4's with some OSB on top. Each will house a Polk 6.5" coaxial speaker.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #120 of 409 Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Nice progress!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page