Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 412 Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CURRENT PROGRESS:

Finally some change! I still have a lot of 'touch up' to do, but we've already moved some stuff down.

After moving one couch down, I'm thinking the new (still unused) couch I bought a year or so ago for the theater will not fit down the stairs (tight corner). Looks like I'll have to sell and get some "theater seats" like W00lly!

The front room that's still movie friendly.

After talking to the finace about wanting my own "home theater", she's finally given me the "okay", however, there is a catch... The spare space in the basement will be a play room for my daughter (It'll look more adult-like though, I hope).

Anyway, today the framing started down in the basement. I was originally going to do it myself, however, I got a couple quotes on what it would cost just for someone else to do the framing (I'm doing most of the rest). The first quote came back at just over $3,100 for just for the job and material (wood). Knowing that seemed high, I waited for the second quote to come back. The second one was $675 for everything (metal studs) or $9xx for wood. I was looking to go with metal studs for several reasons, so I chose that. After looking at the cost of materials, some of the tools I don't have and paying my soon-to-be brother in-law to help out a little and most of all, my time, I figured I wouldn't have saved any money if I did it myself.

Today the crew came in and worked 4 hours and got most of the work done. They are due back this weekend to finish up the rest.

I'm not aiming to have a theater that looks like you're actually at a nice theater. I am really aiming for something like Landshark's sweet setup I just want a decicated room that still makes me feel like I'm at home. A clean look with no wires showing is what I like most. I also didn't want all the annoying lights from equipment to bug me while I'm watching a movie (not to mention the noise of an Xbox360), so everything will be in a separate closet (with an IR extender). This is the plan anyway... I am very open to any other idea's, thoughts, suggestions as I can't think of everything. If you have any constructive input, please share!

I am going to go with a 100" screen (not sure which one yet) and an Epson 1080UB.

Here is a quick sketch I did late one night with Google Sketch Up. For the most part, the deminsions are correct, but the shape is a little off and I haven't added in the closet (I have it, but it's on another computer.

At this point, I was just trying to visualize what I can do with what I have to work with (maing room will be about 11'6" x 24').

I'll run wire to where the sub box (pictured) is sitting and another one up front so I have options for sub placement.

Here's the work they did today. I plan to do almost everything after the framing is done.

Screen area

Back of theater

Where the "COMM" closet will be.

The "play room" for my daughter... In a few years.

Back of the play room and storage area.

Nothing much right now, but should be fun to play some COD4 soon!

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 412 Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Jason

Before you get the insulation into the studs go grab yourself some tuck tape and seal all the joints of the thermax sheeting you would be surprised at how much cold air sneaks between the gaps.

Give me a call dude theres a few other odds and ends that will help with heating bills that I can point out or PM me your number and I will call you

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #3 of 412 Old 08-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Liked: 12
Looks like a nice space. I recommend that you not aim the rear speakers down and firing at the listener. This would be prefered IMO to be aiming level and at eachother. Try having someone hold a speaker up in the room and see how it sounds there. Wiring for a subwoofer location at the left and right wall midpoint would like nice in there IMO. I think that the front speakers could be moved forward some and the seat moved back a little bit. That could be done later on but it is important to know with the surrounds placement. That would give you the room for the two subwoofers out of the way of where you walked too. Some soffits up there for bass trapping, maybe some other treatments, and some trim would be what I would thinking of. Those single 12X12 panels woln't do a whole lot but they look thick enough. Probobly some 24X12 or a pair of 12X12 would be best.
post #4 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Jason

Before you get the insulation into the studs go grab yourself some tuck tape and seal all the joints of the thermax sheeting you would be surprised at how much cold air sneaks between the gaps.

Give me a call dude theres a few other odds and ends that will help with heating bills that I can point out or PM me your number and I will call you

Hey Scott! Sorry I haven't called you. I've meant to, but I've been super-busy this last week. I started a new job, working on the basement, and playing Mr. Mom when I'm not at work.

Anyway, I will give you a call tomorrow (I'll PM you my number too). I would really like to check your setup out and talk with you some more about what I could do better with my build. Maybe I could have you out my way sometime.

As far as the gaps, there is already a foil type of tape on the seams between each panel, where else should I seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

Looks like a nice space. I recommend that you not aim the rear speakers down and firing at the listener. This would be prefered IMO to be aiming level and at eachother. Try having someone hold a speaker up in the room and see how it sounds there. Wiring for a subwoofer location at the left and right wall midpoint would like nice in there IMO. I think that the front speakers could be moved forward some and the seat moved back a little bit. That could be done later on but it is important to know with the surrounds placement. That would give you the room for the two subwoofers out of the way of where you walked too. Some soffits up there for bass trapping, maybe some other treatments, and some trim would be what I would thinking of. Those single 12X12 panels woln't do a whole lot but they look thick enough. Probobly some 24X12 or a pair of 12X12 would be best.

Thank you for the advice. The final placement of the couch, speakers, etc will be after the room is done. I don't really want to move the couch back much as I would be defeating the point of a big screen at 1080p . I will be wiring for the sub at opposite corners of the room. More than likely, the sub will be placed near a corner and this will give me good placement to go just about anywhere in the room.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about aiming the surrounds at each other. Why should I do that?

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #5 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 AM

THX recommends that be aimed at eachother always and never aimed down. The person that is mixing the film does not likley aim speakers that far down or place a surround direct radiating speaker directly next to a wall firing along side it. What you will get is lots of reflected sound off the wall that will be at a different timing and this will cause comb filtering. The detail in the subtile surround effects will be lost. I have not tried aiming a speaker downwards but the speaker unless specified I think would not have the correct vertical dispertion, and lows might be reinforced off the wall. The reason I recommended that the couch be moved is that it appears to be directly center in the room. This is not the best place for LFE. That is awesome you are waiting to place seats and speakers. I still think that by adding a second subwoofer that the response might be smoothed out a bit without the need for more treatments. Since the rear wall is taken, I thought it might be good to recommend the side wall midpoints since those look available and you have only one row of seating. The front of the room will be good too probobly.
post #6 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just looked at THX's recommendation and they recommend that the rear speakers be placed near the center of the rear room and faced forward. Where you are finding the other?

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #7 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM

I learned this in THX training it is not on the website. If you do not have the rear wall for placement, put them on the side walls at least 2 feet away. It was a question that was asked.
post #8 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay. I think I'll worry about that once everything is built. I'll run the wire, but mounting will be later. I am trying to figure out how I want to do my rack. I'll have to post a picture of what I was thinking and maybe someone can help me out a bit.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #9 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

why a 100 inch screen? i'd go with the biggest image i can short of causing nausea (and with the epson and it's zoom you can go very big without much throw). not sure if you've had a PJ setup before, but it doesn't take long to get the itching for a bigger screen.
post #10 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by union1411 View Post

why a 100 inch screen? i'd go with the biggest image i can short of causing nausea (and with the epson and it's zoom you can go very big without much throw). not sure if you've had a PJ setup before, but it doesn't take long to get the itching for a bigger screen.

Any bigger and the speakers will block the screen. I'm guessing the image would be pretty crappy on a black speaker grill 2 feet in front of where the rest of the screen is. I also don't want to put my speakers all the way into the wall/corner either.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #11 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason

I have a drywall lift you can use when you get to that stage

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #12 of 412 Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome! Thanks Scott. Since you're offering, I'll more than likely take you up on that.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #13 of 412 Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

did the framers show up today ?

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #14 of 412 Old 08-23-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, the framing is all done. I'll post pictures soon. I about to get a bite to eat, then I've got to finish replacing the broken axle in my SHO. I'm supposed to head to Lincoln tonight for a car meet.

I have to figure out what type of rack I want to do as I need to modify the framing to allow for a rack. I'll need to figure out what type of lighting I really want to do too, I guess.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #15 of 412 Old 08-24-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the pictures of the framing pretty much done. I have to frame the soffits myself and I will also add a closet and an opening to mount an actively cooled and filtered A/V rack in the closet.

Here are the pics.

Storage...

Here is a rough drawing of where I want to have the A/V equipment.

Still open for ideas...

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #16 of 412 Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

That was money well spent they made quick work of that.

Jason
I can give you the number to the guys I used for my drywall they came out and messured it for a accurate number and then delivered it into the basement was a few dollors more then getting it myself but was well worth the money 5/8 x 54" x 12' sheets are heavy

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #17 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Jason, I'm going to second the comments of going a bit larger with the screen. Is it an option to consider an acoustically transparent screen? If so, your speakers all go behind the screen and you have as much of the wall as you need for screen. You mentioned that you wanted a "clean" look. It doesn't get any cleaner than an AT screen!

Maybe do your first screen as a DIY painted on or something that you don't have much money in. Live with that at 100" for a while, and then you can decide if you want to spend more money to go AT. I just would be reluctent to drop too much cash on a 100" screen, because the investment alone will keep you from changing down the road.

Looking forward to your build.

tony

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #18 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I heavily considered an AT screen. I guess when I mean clean, I mean less work to do when I move out and convert this to a bedroom. I could build an AT screen and hide my LCR and sub which would definitely clean it up, but how will this affect music? I listen to music quite often too.

Everything I've read shows the bigger the screen, the further you end up sitting back. If I have to sit back further for the larger screen, does it really make a difference? 10ft from a 100" screen will be HUGE! I've been using a 40" for my "theater" for the last two years.

If I were to go with an AT screen, how would you suggest I do it?

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #19 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Where in Nebraska are you at?
If your in Omaha, you are welcome to come by on see my theater for ideas. I am in west O ,
post #20 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I think we need to set a omaha tour of HT's. I know there are quite a few with HT's in the Omaha area that would love to show off there babys and I am one of them

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #21 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skers View Post

Where in Nebraska are you at?
If your in Omaha, you are welcome to come by on see my theater for ideas. I am in west O ,

I'm on the south end of Bellevue. I'm going to check out Scott's theater soon, but would love to see yours as well!

Do you have any pictures hosted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I think we need to set a omaha tour of HT's. I know there are quite a few with HT's in the Omaha area that would love to show off there babys and I am one of them

I wouldn't mind it, that's for sure. I could use a few ideas here and there. You think you have everything figured out until you start the work.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #22 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
I am at 180th & Center so just let me know when you want to come by. I have some pics of my "snack bar" in another thread under
"game room & accessories" Bar plans? post #436

I have no clue how to link these together
post #23 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skers View Post

I am at 180th & Center so just let me know when you want to come by. I have some pics of my "snack bar" in another thread under
"game room & accessories" Bar plans? post #436

I have no clue how to link these together

I just got back from Scott's (W00lly) house and man is that theater SWEET! I played COD4 in the front row and got dizzy when I first sat down. After getting myself oriented, it was still almost too large for me at that distance. I really liked the speakers hidden behind the screen... Although, the woman of the house wouldn't let me spend that kind of money on the same type of screen.

I won't be able to get out your way today... Maybe tomorrow I can stop by? I start my job Wednesday (for the second time; paper mix up and was sent home PAID), so after tomorrow, weekends are about my best bet for awhile, however the next two weekends are taken as I'll be in Ohio for one and Colorado for the other.

Scott, thank you VERY much for the tour! You've raised the excitement bar ten fold. If you wouldn't mind e-mailing or PM'ing me your contacts (electrical, drywall delivery, etc), I would appreciate it!

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #24 of 412 Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason

Was nice to meet you in person. I can send you some links to those AT screen suppliers. heres one http://www.seymourav.com/

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #25 of 412 Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After doing some thinking (go figure...), I think I'm going to go with a false wall and an AT screen. I would really like to clean up the look, however, I'll still be with a 100" screen. I want to keep plenty of brightness as I don't like to always be in the dark.

I'll have to use a black fabric to put the front L/R speakers and sub behind (center will be behind screen), are there any recommendations for fabric? I'd like something very "acoustically transparent" without being able to see through it. I'd like to keep it looking like a flat wall as well.

Scott, when are you going to be out this way??? I could use some help brainstorming with someone who's done this.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #26 of 412 Old 09-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I'll have to use a black fabric to put the front L/R speakers and sub behind (center will be behind screen), are there any recommendations for fabric?

Muslin
post #27 of 412 Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason

You name the day during the week and I could stop by after 6pm

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #28 of 412 Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott, anytime this week would be great, however, I don't want to drag you all the way this far if it's a hassle. I get off work around 4, so I'll be here anytime after 6.

I just put all the front speakers down in the front and definitely want to hide all the clutter. This just seems like too much going on... anyone else think so?

Here's a quick sketch of what I was thinking...

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #29 of 412 Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just picked my screen material... Here is a comparison of the two that I was looking at.

I did some testing with it in front of one of my smaller speakers in the living room and the sound didn't have much change in it at all. If any tonal change was to note, it would be in the higher frequencies, but I don't think I would really notice in real world situations.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

post #30 of 412 Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it's 6 months later and I have the go ahead to finish the basment/theater. I had the electric wiring installed today by the same guy that W00lly used (although I think I was working just as hard). I've been gauging how much speaker and subwoofer cable I'll need to order from Blue Jeans. I've got about 300 ft of speaker 10AWG speaker cable to buy and a 30ft and 40ft run of subwoofer cable. My longest run for speaker will be just under 50ft for one of the rear speakers.

I have to put in the soffits and tray for the basment here soon. I'll then run the speaker/sub wires, 3" conduit for the projector, and then start thinking about drywall.

I have also received my screen material from Chris at Seymour AV. I got a steal for enough material to make a 100" 16x9 screen!

Anyway, here are some pictures from today.

Theater

A/V closet - I have 2 - 20 amp circuits just for this room.

-Jason

-Klipsch Sonosub Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction