Blue board plaster versus Drywall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2002, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Full of questions today I am. So, I am having a couple contractors do some free estimates for me for the framing and possibly dry walling phases of my construction. The guy who came by last night recommended using the 4x8 panels of blue board “plaster†for the walls and ceiling instead of drywall (I said it would still have to be 5/8†if so). His sole justification was that he claimed he would get it done in a fraction of the time since the plaster doesn’t need as many layers of taping and mudding (plastering) as drywall. He also claimed the cost wouldn’t really be any more than doing it with drywall because while drywall is less expensive, the greater amount of work and time (thus associated cost) would be counter balanced by using plaster and getting it done faster, even though the materials may cost more.
Just wondering if some of you veterans could comment and let me know what you think of this. I am not concerned with going ALL out with acoustics (only going to be here perhaps 2 more years if even that), or especially sound proofing but I DO want to dampen the sound to a certain extent so as to minimize a bit, the noise reaching the floor above. I insisted on the 5/8†drywall originally as one of the means to help in this area. Thank you folks, I appreciate the advice.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Anybody heard of this stuff?

Thanks,
Rob
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2002, 06:10 AM

It's basically the same as regular gypsum board (sheetrock). It has a special surface paper that works well with an overcoat of plaster. Since you finish it by laying an even coat of plaster over the entire surface, it works very well on large walls where typical joints might otherwise show. But, you also need better skilled people. As far as sound, I would imagine that it would have similar properties.

I see no huge benefit either way. According to the GP website it can be finished with just one coat. If the bids are the same, I see no harm if he wants to do it this way.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2002, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks a lot for the info jhill, I wasn't sure if there were any reasons to NOT want to use the stuff. The guy really did basically claim they were pretty much the same properties wise except that the blue board stuff was significantly less work, BUT that it did require a PLASTERER to finish it versus a drywall person specifically.

Jim
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2002, 02:34 PM

Blueboard is used extensively throughout Oz residential construction, plastering always follows. Quite versatile. I'm no construction expert but I have read that certain versions of the product have pretty good acoustic qualities.

My 4 cents worth (considering the current exchange rate on 2 cents) :D

G'day from the other side of the world!

My new HT
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2002, 11:08 PM

Accoustically, I doubt that there would be any real difference. From a construction standpoint, blue board with a plaster overcoat is considered an upgrade over drywall. Plaster is a harder material than drywall, so it is more durable. If installed correctly, it will look smoother than drywall too. It takes paint more evenly and just looks better. If the price is the same, I'd jump at the blueboard/plaster option.
Mark
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2002, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the link to the GP web-site. I am matching a new wall I am building to an existing plaster wall, and I think I will use this blue board in my construction. I never knew there was such a thing.

Can it be obtained at Home Depot or Lowe's???

Does it come in standard drywall depths?

How much space should I anticipate for plaster coat???. In other words if I am extending an existing wall, what depth should I leave for plaster??? (1/8-1/4")???
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2002, 01:19 PM

You can probably special order it from Lowes or home depot if they don't have it, but this isn't a basic do-it-yourself project. The plaster dries to a very hard surface which makes it really difficult to sand. In fact, it isn't intended to be sanded. The professionals that install this stuff put it on so well that it doesn't need sanding. After the plaster has set, but before it is completely dry, they mist some water onto the plaster and trowel it to a smooth, hard, flawless finish...similiar to the way a concrete floor is finished. If you aren't experienced in this, you may end up with a mess. The plaster is much harder to use than drywall mud (joint compound)since drywall mud can be easily sanded. I've done quite a bit of drywall, and I'd leave it to the pros. Good Luck.
Mark
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page