Show me your COMPLETED Theater! - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #1291 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 11:03 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Revel Performa 3 F-208 Front L/R C-208 Center F-206 Wides L/R M-105 Heights L/R S-206 Surround L/R S-206 Surround Back L/R Paradigm Reference Studio Sub15's
Very nice the sound must be amazing too bad the center channel is not a Revel Performa 3 F-208 !

You are ready for ATMOS, AURO 3D, DTS NEO:X and DTS:X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Just add water and stir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Very nice the sound must be amazing too bad the center channel is not a Revel Performa 3 F-208 !

You are ready for ATMOS, AURO 3D, DTS NEO:X and DTS:X
Why would you recommend I use a tower for the center channel. That speaker would not appear to be a good fit for my room.

But I am always open. Please let me know.
post #1293 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Why would you recommend I use a tower for the center channel. That speaker would not appear to be a good fit for my room.

But I am always open. Please let me know.
I'm assuming he was speaking in hypotheticals because a tower would obviously cover up part of your screen but would provide better sound. Measurements have shown that 3 LCR's in a vertical orientation are better than the V-H-V orientation that you have. Home theaters for the most part are about compromise unfortunately. To honest, I went from a non AT screen with speakers oriented the way you have them to the standard AT orientation and I can't tell a difference as far as sound quality goes. Having an AT screen is far more immersive in my opinion but to each his own. You have a great looking room and when the lights go out, you can't see speakers anyways.
post #1294 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I'm assuming he was speaking in hypotheticals because a tower would obviously cover up part of your screen but would provide better sound. Measurements have shown that 3 LCR's in a vertical orientation are better than the V-H-V orientation that you have. Home theaters for the most part are about compromise unfortunately. To honest, I went from a non AT screen with speakers oriented the way you have them to the standard AT orientation and I can't tell a difference as far as sound quality goes. Having an AT screen is far more immersive in my opinion but to each his own. You have a great looking room and when the lights go out, you can't see speakers anyways.
Yes. I see that humor now. Thanks for the reply. Back to the topic I guess before some moderator jumps in here and starts having a power control issue.

I appreciate your answer. Can you PM me a link to your theater so I can see the screen you are speaking of please? Thank you.
post #1295 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Yes. I see that humor now. Thanks for the reply. Back to the topic I guess before some moderator jumps in here and starts having a power control issue.

I appreciate your answer. Can you PM me a link to your theater so I can see the screen you are speaking of please? Thank you.
The B-Stock Theater Build

I don't have any pics of my non AT screen in my thread if that's what you were wanting. My new room is complete with the AT screen though.
post #1296 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Couple of pics of mine. Small theater. Wanted to post in the small theater link but it doesn't work.
My theater is 9' wide by 19' long. The walls are stuffed with 1 and 2 inch owens corning board, wine color wall fabric, gold fabric columns which matches the gold steps, trim and soffit. The black on the soffit is also fabric. The lights are controlled with a graphic eye and consist of 5 circuits. Control is provided by Creston. Columns consist of Niles IW650FX surround speakers and the front LCR are Niles Pro2870LCR behind a transparent screen. Low end is provided by two 15" subs powered by Crown amp. I haven't decided on carpet yet, so the floor is still bare. I will attempt to locate some construction photos, but Im not sure where the are. The photos were taken with my cell phone, so not the best quality pics. The blue behind the columns are not as bright as they appear in the pics. The ceiling will be getting a star mural and black lights along with blue LED's to match the columns. The project is an Epson, but cant remember the model. Will have to go check.

Shane
Tedd and DavidK442 like this.
post #1297 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^^ Nice work! That's a nice design for the wall panelling. But that much absorption must make it eerily silent in there. I did something vaguely similar but only filled the ones near the first & second reflection points with OC because I get the feeling that the acoustic gurus seem to want a balance of absorption and reflection. How's yours working out so far .. or maybe with finishing the theater, you really haven't had time for too much listening so far?

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #1298 of 1313 Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
^^ Nice work! That's a nice design for the wall panelling. But that much absorption must make it eerily silent in there. I did something vaguely similar but only filled the ones near the first & second reflection points with OC because I get the feeling that the acoustic gurus seem to want a balance of absorption and reflection. How's yours working out so far .. or maybe with finishing the theater, you really haven't had time for too much listening so far?

Absorbtion about the 1st 3rd to the ceiling. After that about half way up the wall. Reflective at that point. Sounds great to me. I'm also getting old and don't hear as well as I use too.

Shane
post #1299 of 1313 Old 05-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Tks. Yes, none of us are getting any younger with better hearing. How did you attach your fabric to the walls? It looks like you have bevelled 'stapling strips' and then maybe finish it off with that horizontal 1x4 piece .. although I have no clue as to how that stays on. There's not a ripple in your wall fabric which is hard to do when covering a large space like that .. that looks awesome!

Ian

My finished "Media Room"
post #1300 of 1313 Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can only hope to one day be able to contribute to this thread. Great HTs everyone.
post #1301 of 1313 Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why would you recommend I use a tower for the center channel. That speaker would not appear to be a good fit for my room. But I am always open. Please let me know.
First of all your theater is fantastic, my point is that if you want the best sound having all the same speakers in the front will make a much better sound stage. The other one is that 75% of the sound comes front the center channel during movies so having a center channel as good as L&R is essential that 's all

Enjoy your cinema it looks fabulous and I am sure sound great as well

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...center-channel
post #1302 of 1313 Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Here are some photos of my Home Theater, which is largely complete.

This is the Screen wall, a 132" Wide 2.35:1 Screen Ratio, Falcon Screens AT screen (picture taken before bottom frames were complete)...

Here are the two side wall, these are Fabric Frames with Fabric Posters, all with acoustically transparent material and some very basic sound absorption & diffusion behind them.

Here is the rear bar seating area (the light switch cover has been swapped out for a black one).

I have LED Lights on the edges of my columns, behind some quarter round pieces... they are set up in 4 zones... each zone is a pair of Columns... Here is a picture with the over head lights on...

Here is a picture with the overhead lights off (FYI, this is the bright setting, they can be dimmed to a quite low setting):

Here is Chairs & Riser view.. .

Thanks,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Wall PIcture.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	874058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side Wall - w bottom panels.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	874066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side w Bottom Panels.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	874074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bar & Chairs.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	874082   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Column Lights.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	874090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Column Lights - Lights Off.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	874098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chairs.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	874114  
Tedd, Joshhare, GetGray and 11 others like this.

Last edited by kmhvball; 08-07-2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: fix words
post #1303 of 1313 Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

Your room looks fantastic!
Do you have any plans on trying to change the color of your MINISPLIT ?

I too installed a miniplit and the glaring gloss white was too distracting for me when I entered the room. I felt it disrupted the "feeling" I was trying to evoke when entering my HT.
So I disassembled it (my Mistu was super easy to take apart) and painted it to blend into the colors of the room. If I could have found a sprayable color to match the walls, I probably would have gone that route instead of the flat black.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II
post #1304 of 1313 Old 08-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
I didn't before I saw this :-) I painted my recessed light baffles & HVAC Returns/ Whisper Quite fan, but hadn't thought about the minisplit - despite, not liking the glaring white.

Mine is a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim too, so, good to hear it isn't too hard to take apart. I'll look into it after awhile. Currently, I don't think it is working though... so, before I paint, I want to make sure it is working so I don't have any warranty issues.
post #1305 of 1313 Old 08-07-2015, 08:03 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 548cidakota View Post
Couple of pics of mine. Small theater. Wanted to post in the small theater link but it doesn't work.
My theater is 9' wide by 19' long. The walls are stuffed with 1 and 2 inch owens corning board, wine color wall fabric, gold fabric columns which matches the gold steps, trim and soffit. The black on the soffit is also fabric. The lights are controlled with a graphic eye and consist of 5 circuits. Control is provided by Creston. Columns consist of Niles IW650FX surround speakers and the front LCR are Niles Pro2870LCR behind a transparent screen. Low end is provided by two 15" subs powered by Crown amp. I haven't decided on carpet yet, so the floor is still bare. I will attempt to locate some construction photos, but Im not sure where the are. The photos were taken with my cell phone, so not the best quality pics. The blue behind the columns are not as bright as they appear in the pics. The ceiling will be getting a star mural and black lights along with blue LED's to match the columns. The project is an Epson, but cant remember the model. Will have to go check.

Shane
That's a beauty but I would not call that small my mini HT is in a 11" x 12 x 9 with two seats!
post #1306 of 1313 Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 177
That would be small by my standards. 9' wide is tight, but doable. I'd also consider it a much harder space
to design well and pull off to a high standard. I do like the seating restraint when people don't cram up a small
space with excessive seating.
post #1307 of 1313 Old 08-08-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

I too installed a miniplit and the glaring gloss white was too distracting for me when I entered the room. I felt it disrupted the "feeling" I was trying to evoke when entering my HT.
So I disassembled it (my Mistu was super easy to take apart) and painted it to blend into the colors of the room. If I could have found a sprayable color to match the walls, I probably would have gone that route instead of the flat black.

How loud is the sound out of the minisplit? I have been looking into one of these and I don't see anything about spl levels.
post #1308 of 1313 Old 08-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
How loud is the sound out of the minisplit? I have been looking into one of these and I don't see anything about spl levels.
The 1st fan speed is literally imperceptible unless you have your ear right up next to the vent. The second fan speed is nearly as in audible , but anything beyond a few feet is equally quiet. The fans obviously get a tiny bit louder as the fan speed increases. In the winter I would leave the heat on the 3rd setting as that is inaudible from my first row of seats. The 4th speed is almost as quiet, but during a quiet passage of a movie is slightly noticeable. There are 5 speeds.

The Mitsubishi 14,000 BTU 21 SEER Ductless Air Conditioner System's Decibel Rating for the indoor unit is:

Quiet - Lo - Med - Hi - Super High
26 - 32 - 38 - 44 - 49

I couldn't be more pleased with my Mr. Slim. And as an added bonus in my case, the outdoor unit which I installed in my basement is super quiet itself!!! I thought it would be loud. Nope. Just the opposite.

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
post #1309 of 1313 Old 08-08-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I couldn't be more pleased with my Mr. Slim. And as an added bonus in my case, the outdoor unit which I installed in my basement is super quiet itself!!! I thought it would be loud. Nope. Just the opposite.
If you have actually installed the outdoor unit IN your basement, I hope you have the room well ventilated or the compressor will work more and more inefficiently as it depends on a high environmental temperature differential for its coil to get rid of the heat. I have the compressor for my wine cellar chiller in my mechanical room. It was recommended to install a 8" exhaust fan to take away the excess heat. I have it on a heat sensor so that it only runs when the temperature exceeds 90-95F in the room.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1310 of 1313 Old 08-08-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
The 1st fan speed is literally imperceptible unless you have your ear right up next to the vent. The second fan speed is nearly as in audible , but anything beyond a few feet is equally quiet. The fans obviously get a tiny bit louder as the fan speed increases. In the winter I would leave the heat on the 3rd setting as that is inaudible from my first row of seats. The 4th speed is almost as quiet, but during a quiet passage of a movie is slightly noticeable. There are 5 speeds.

The Mitsubishi 14,000 BTU 21 SEER Ductless Air Conditioner System's Decibel Rating for the indoor unit is:

Quiet - Lo - Med - Hi - Super High
26 - 32 - 38 - 44 - 49

Same here. I went 6 years with no temp control and finally got the mr slim about 6 months ago. It's so quiet and keeps the theater perfectly comfortable, all without needing a big return vent anywhere.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE7000u 3D w/HTB Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH Screen
Video: DVDO Edge Audio: Emotiva XMC-1 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L R C), Emotiva UAC-8.2 (side), ERD-1s (rear)
Subwoofer: eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
Visit My Theater
post #1311 of 1313 Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
If you have actually installed the outdoor unit IN your basement, I hope you have the room well ventilated or the compressor will work more and more inefficiently as it depends on a high environmental temperature differential for its coil to get rid of the heat. I have the compressor for my wine cellar chiller in my mechanical room. It was recommended to install a 8" exhaust fan to take away the excess heat. I have it on a heat sensor so that it only runs when the temperature exceeds 90-95F in the room.

I spoke directly to Mitsubishi and LG tech support regarding my proposed location for the compressor. I emailed them the house plans. They both said it would not be a problem.

My basement is nearly 3000 sqft, so there is plenty of ventilation. And if that were not enough, the minisplit only runs in AC mode a handful of times a year for 2-4hrs at a time. But, even if this minisplit were serving duty for a frequently used room, the location of the compressor is completely fine given the size of the basement.

post #1312 of 1313 Old 08-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I spoke directly to Mitsubishi and LG tech support regarding my proposed location for the compressor. I emailed them the house plans. They both said it would not be a problem.

My basement is nearly 3000 sqft, so there is plenty of ventilation. And if that were not enough, the minisplit only runs in AC mode a handful of times a year for 2-4hrs at a time. But, even if this minisplit were serving duty for a frequently used room, the location of the compressor is completely fine given the size of the basement.

Glad you had checked it out! Most would want to throw it into a storage room so they didn't have to hear it or have to look at it. Me, for example, threw it into my 6' x 12' mechanical room (a 6,000BTU compressor). It gives off some heat! The manufacturer claims it will still work with an ambient temperature of 110F, but efficiency falls off...

If you ever do finish the rest of your basement and want to close it in. Install an exhaust fan with a fresh air return and a temperature sensor.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1313 of 1313 Old 08-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
... Most would want to throw it into a storage room so they didn't have to hear it....

That's one of the amazing unknown perks of these minisplits systems which I had NO IDEA about before purchasing!!

I simply assumed the compressor unit would be loud. It is SOOO much the opposite of that. It is actually quiet. Not "place it in your HT room" quiet, but I could have placed it in an adjacent room (provided the adjacent room was adequately ventilated ).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction