Cable TV Noise Reduction Filter?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone recommend a good noise reduction filter I can use for my cable tv. Seems when ever I have it plugged into my system via my power conditioner I get noise and a hums.

When I go directly into my cable box even though majority of the noise goes away I still see noise lines on the TV.

I would like something that I can add that will not reduce the picture qual, just remove the noise. Also looking do remove the hum from my speakers.

thx

Jim Parys is Living the dream...
La Sirena III Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Can anyone recommend a good noise reduction filter I can use for my cable tv. Seems when ever I have it plugged into my system via my power conditioner I get noise and a hums.

When I go directly into my cable box even though majority of the noise goes away I still see noise lines on the TV.

I would like something that I can add that will not reduce the picture qual, just remove the noise. Also looking do remove the hum from my speakers.

thx

...and you're sure that's not a bad cable/connector? Is it just an F-type connector? Do you have it distributed anywhere else?

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If it's your house, ensure that the cable is grounded to the same location as your electrical system is. This should fix the problem.

Bob
post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM

I was an avionics technician in the military. I worked on a lot of coaxial cables. Sounds like to me that the shielding that surrounds the coaxial cable you are using is not properly installed onto the connectors. The purpose of the shielding wire(just under the first outer coating) is to eliminate exterior signals from interfering with the center conductor that carries your signal for audio and video. The shielding shunts those stray signals or rf to ground and will prevent that if it is properly connected to the connectors on the cable and is grounded.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Google "ground loop noise" or "video hum bars". The cable system/box is biggest culprit for the establishment of ground loops and the associated hum and video noise because the less-than-stellar run-of-the-mill cable installer does not and will never understand proper grounding and bonding.

Chances are that calling the cable folks to fix your problem (since it IS their problem) will be frustrating at best, just go to the Jensen web site mentioned above and look at their solutions. They even have some white papers on the problem with the best ways to solve them.

Perfection is highly overrated!!!
XBL GamerTag: Chas617
post #7 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas821 View Post

Google "ground loop noise" or "video hum bars". The cable system/box is biggest culprit for the establishment of ground loops and the associated hum and video noise because the less-than-stellar run-of-the-mill cable installer does not and will never understand proper grounding and bonding.
Chances are that calling the cable folks to fix your problem (since it IS their problem) will be frustrating at best, just go to the Jensen web site mentioned above and look at their solutions. They even have some white papers on the problem with the best ways to solve them.

I dont doubt there is some cable contractors or even in-house techs that may over look this but it is part of their training and "most" do and can fix this. However it is not always caused by the cable, often it is a bad cable box, vcr in the loop, improper grounding on the electrical outlet finding its way back to the cable ground etc. Most likely it is your grounding at the OPB (on premise box) which should be installed next to your power meter. Call your cable company and give them a shot at the fix, chances are they will fix it for free. I know because I am a supervisor over techs for a cable company and have fixed this many times.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
are these digital channels or analog channels? The audio hum or a rolling bar(s) on your picture are likely grounding or CATV system powering issues, but noise in the picture is relative to the source format. Don't expect your flat panel to make a standard definition analog channel too smooth looking, especilly if your eyes have become used to HD.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page