Sketchup of new theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've taken some time today and made these renderings with sketchup. What a fantastic way for average people to use 3d (I have used high end 3d software for years and would never go back for casual stuff like this)

Anyway, here is what I have got. I would love some feedback... some notes and questions:

0. This is a new construction... new house being built. The builer is offering the following optional services- wall TV pre-wire, projection pre wire, 5.1 speaker pre-wire (all done inside walls and running to AV rack area before drywall goes up). Most of these seem to cost in the $500 range and get rolled into mortgage.

1. The screen area shows two rectangles. The inner rectangle represents my current 50" plasma TV and the outer rectangle represents a 100" projection screen. I'd obviously prefer projection, but how much should I budget for such a venture? How much does it usually cost to install one (ceiling mount + labor?) The builder wants $600 just to pre-wire the ceiling for a projector (no mount or install) Is that a rip off? On the other hand if I choose not to let them pre-wire then they will seal it all up with drywall. If I go the "cheap" way and use my current plasma, I will still have to spend money for the wall mount and the power outlet wiring in the middle of the wall.

1a. How do I know how far the projector should be from the screen wall? I plan on buying the best projector I can afford, I want to play mostly blu ray movies. I heard there was a good one for under $1400 mentioned on here. Since I would need to tell the builder where I want the projection pre-wire, I assume I will need to know how far back on the ceiling this needs to go.

2. What can be done to enhance acoustics without going crazy?

3. Suggestions for improving looks?

- also I really want to ask... if the builder puts a power hookup on that front wall (I think I already ordered this), is this going to cause a problem in terms of installing a projection screen instead? I'm not sure I want power there after all, especially if I am going with projection.

Please comment and give me any guidance you may have... this is definitely all new to me and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM

You know, that guy in the red shirt is checking out your wife...

One suggestion I would have is, can you close off that one open wall or no?

Scott - I am one of many. You shall be assimilated
No project is complete until you have made a blood sacrifice to the Gods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would suggest closing that wall off as well. Also, the guy in black with the baseball cap looks crazy sketchy to me. I hope you have your equipment and DVDs in a secure place in that theater.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Tzakiel, go here and do some quick research for a pj http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68. I would post and elicit some more opinions, based on your particular needs, but a quick scan makes it seem like the falling price on the Sanyo Z2000 might be the way for you to go right now.

Once you settle on a pj, go here http://www.projectorcentral.com/ to calculate the placement of the pj (throw distance). For example, with a 100" (d) screen, the recommended throw for the Z2000 is 13' 4", but could be anywhere between ~10'-20' (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sany...ulator-pro.htm).

Good luck,

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've done some more research and would want to ceiling mount the planar pd7060 projector. Is this wise? Anything to watch out for? I have never used a projector before... would it work in this sort of room? What would the distance from the wall be for 100" screen?

As for the open wall, easy enough to close later on... but I want room to play pool too It might all work, even closed... hard to say since the house isn't built yet.

EDIT: Thanks for the information on projectors. The pd7060 still seems like a great deal... would it be acceptable for blu ray movies?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM

LOL, I see people have already observed what I was going to post. I'd stop that guy with the bag on his way out. Your rack is empty, and I suspect he's got some loot.

And yeah, keep an eye on buddy in the black hat. Mad dodgy.

Otherwise, I echo what others are saying. If you can close off the space to do a dedicated room, go for it. But it's all about aesthetics and what you want the house for. You'll still get a great theatre room with it open, it will just be more multipurpose. And if you're planning on having a pool table there, perhaps you want the ability to play pool while watching TV, although the wall may block your view.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Some updated screens showing the projector and additional goodies:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction