I've taken some time today and made these renderings with sketchup. What a fantastic way for average people to use 3d (I have used high end 3d software for years and would never go back for casual stuff like this)
Anyway, here is what I have got. I would love some feedback... some notes and questions:
0. This is a new construction... new house being built. The builer is offering the following optional services- wall TV pre-wire, projection pre wire, 5.1 speaker pre-wire (all done inside walls and running to AV rack area before drywall goes up). Most of these seem to cost in the $500 range and get rolled into mortgage.
1. The screen area shows two rectangles. The inner rectangle represents my current 50" plasma TV and the outer rectangle represents a 100" projection screen. I'd obviously prefer projection, but how much should I budget for such a venture? How much does it usually cost to install one (ceiling mount + labor?) The builder wants $600 just to pre-wire the ceiling for a projector (no mount or install) Is that a rip off? On the other hand if I choose not to let them pre-wire then they will seal it all up with drywall. If I go the "cheap" way and use my current plasma, I will still have to spend money for the wall mount and the power outlet wiring in the middle of the wall.
1a. How do I know how far the projector should be from the screen wall? I plan on buying the best projector I can afford, I want to play mostly blu ray movies. I heard there was a good one for under $1400 mentioned on here. Since I would need to tell the builder where I want the projection pre-wire, I assume I will need to know how far back on the ceiling this needs to go.
2. What can be done to enhance acoustics without going crazy?
3. Suggestions for improving looks?
- also I really want to ask... if the builder puts a power hookup on that front wall (I think I already ordered this), is this going to cause a problem in terms of installing a projection screen instead? I'm not sure I want power there after all, especially if I am going with projection.
Please comment and give me any guidance you may have... this is definitely all new to me and I'm sure I've forgotten some things.