Welcome to DamnSam77's CEDAR PEAKS Cinema Construction (Denver, Colorado) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 275 Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice theater. A lot nicer than my local cinema

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is a picture showing your home theater covered in dry wall dust. Is that correct? Why not just cover them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 275 Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_69 View Post

Very nice theater. A lot nicer than my local cinema

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is a picture showing your home theater covered in dry wall dust. Is that correct? Why not just cover them?

Thanks for your kind words. You might be refering to a couple of pictures showing the theater seats covered in dust. I think this was early in the process, I actually only brought two seats down to the basement after the drywall was completed. The dust you see is from the sawdust as I was furring out for the sconces and wall outlets (in order to use the 1" fabric track and 1" acoustic insulation). After seeing how much mess that made in a couple of hours of cutting, I started covering everything again. I was using the miter saw cutting both fabricmate track and 1"/2" furring even after the carpet was installed. I did cover the carpet as best as I could and I always immediately vacuumed. I honestly did not want to go back and forth from the basement to the 1st level garage especially considering how many times you have to cut and recut the same piece to make it perfect. So it was easier to cover the carpet and anything else worth covering while I was cutting 2x4s or fabric track or OSB.

Stay tuned for the retro L-bar photos coming up after the superbowl weekend.
post #243 of 275 Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Stay tuned for the retro L-bar photos coming up after the superbowl weekend.

damnsam77 - Beautiful theater! I'm in Broomfield and just about finished with my framing. What's the latest on your set-up?

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #244 of 275 Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Another Klipsch-head! Nice build!

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #245 of 275 Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

damnsam77 - Beautiful theater! I'm in Broomfield and just about finished with my framing. What's the latest on your set-up?

dbl

Hey DBL, my theater has been actually finished since May 2009, however, I did add a very nice retro bar in time for the 2010 Superbowl last February. So I do need to get off my butt and take pictures of the theater with the new bar, it looks amazing! My wife and I are also expected a baby in the next week or so, so the past 6-8 months have been quiet hectic.
post #246 of 275 Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

Another Klipsch-head! Nice build!

Love the Fronts, center, surrounds, but hate the R12 sub, it's an overpriced mediocre sub, but I guess I could always trade up to a better one down the road. Plus I have seat shakers in every seat and those things make a world of difference. My wife and I are dissapointed whenever we do go to the movies, which is very seldom nowadays. Now if JVC or Sony would finally announce their 3D active shutter based projector plans soo, then my theater would be COMPLETE!
post #247 of 275 Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hey, congrats on the baby!

I dumped my box subs and went to an infinite baffle sub setup. Halfway through the project now with two of the four 18" drivers installed. The other two will be in by the end of the month. Just two are insane. Best, no compromise, upgrade I have done in the theater. even the wife loves it as there are no big boxes on the floor.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #248 of 275 Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have 3D in my theater now, 9 pair of active shutter glasses and all. Man was it a lot of work and the software media players are obviously beyond fresh out of beta.

The 3D is sweet though, even the 2D to 3D consversions offered by the software media players are decently impressive....
post #249 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FINAL THEATER CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (DECEMBER 2010)

It's been more than a year since I have posted updated photos of my theater, not much has been changed in the existing design except for the two columns which are now matching the rest of the walls (2/3rd Red, 1/3rd black). In addition, I am in the process of upgrading the theater to get 3D. So I will be getting a new JVC RS40 proejector soon (my old RS20, pictured, was sold two months ago). I have also upgraded my receiver and will be getting a 3D bluray player to complete the 3D experience.

The BIG UPDATE, however, involves the addition of a new retro L-shaped bar (seats 7) to match the red/black color and classic theme of the theater which was completed right before the last Superbowl about 10 months ago. This bar was custom designed by a great bar company and I HIGHLY recommend these guys as they were able to build this bar for me for about the same price a few local bar builders quoted me for building me a plain jaine paper thin traditional wooden bar. The bar builder is extremely talented to have been able to pull such an amazing looking bar for such fairly low cost and they delivered a top notch bar with the exact measurements to the last quarter inch considering the crucial accuracy needed to match my angled wall.

If you are interested in building a similar bar, contact Barbara Smith with Bars & Booths (family owned and operated) at 1.800.507.7632 or visit their website at http://www.barsandbooths.com/. they are based in West Virgina but they ship to anywhere in the country, and I believe internationally too. (PLEASE DO TELL THEM that Sam in Colorado sent you over).

Anyhow with that being said, here are the photos from the entrance and througout the theater (bar photos further down) :

ENTRANCE AND STAIRCASE DOWN TO THEATER:

RETRO L-SHAPED BAR (Seats 7):

MOVING ON TO THE REST OF THE THEATER:

AV RACK, AV Room, Bass Shaker Wiring:
Since these rack pictures were taken, I've already upgraded to a new Denon AVR4311 from the AVR3808 to get ready for the 3D upgrade with the new JVC RS40 projector in addition to adding a couple more 2U shelves for the HTPC and the new Oppo BD93 3D-BD player.

Bar, Riser and AT Screen Wall Lighting:

Here is a shot of The Hulk using my old RS20 projector against my 140" wide CIH scope AT screen:

That's all folks!
post #250 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Awesome dude. I love how you incorporated the lobby feel in the back of the room. I'll have to go back through this thread again for some ideas on my next build.
post #251 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wow, definitely red... My theater will be red and black too, probably just not that much red.

What is the carpet? I will be looking that way soon.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #252 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Awesome dude. I love how you incorporated the lobby feel in the back of the room. I'll have to go back through this thread again for some ideas on my next build.

Thanks Jason! LONG TIME DUDE!! Yeah I get chills when I look at the construction photos from Day One and throughout the framing, drywall, and acoustic treatment process. I really don't know how I was able to pull all of this work off in less than a year, I must have had a LOT of red bulls cause I am LAZY as ****!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Wow, definitely red... My theater will be red and black too, probably just not that much red.

What is the carpet? I will be looking that way soon.

Haha, I hear ya about the red. It does actually tend to come out WAY MORE red in the pictures, it's still mostly red but not as strong as my digital camera is showing them to be.

As far as the carpet, I got it from LOWE'S, I limited my option to either HD or Lowes since I already had both store cards for interest free financing, and at the end of the day LOWE'S had the better selection for my theater's purposes. I wanted something that's not too light, but also not black either, something in between that will contrast nicely with the Blacks in the ceilings, doors, and walls. Thos charcoal color with the nice small patterns worked VERY well. If you need to know the exact pattern I can look into it.

By the way good to hear from both of you guys! It's been a while.
post #253 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Nice looking room. I missed it before, so i'll have to go back through and check it out.
post #254 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

Nice looking room. I missed it before, so i'll have to go back through and check it out.

Like with most full construction threads, take a couple of Advils before proceeding.
post #255 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 78
What a beautiful room! You must spend a LOT of time there...
post #256 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

What a beautiful room! You must spend a LOT of time there...

Not as much as I would like. We just had a new baby girl, and the few months before and after the birth have been crazy, but lately it's mostly been because I sold my RS20 projector back in September so that I could use the cash to pre-order the new RS40. So my theater has been deserted for over two months now. This Christmas, however, the theater and bar will get a lot of use though as I am expecting to get the new PJ and Oppo player by the next week or so.
post #257 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Liked: 12
Oh wow, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love black and red together with some whites and grays. Congrads, that room is an absolute dream, I would want mine exactly the same (I would probably have more classic movie posters but other than that it's a stunner). You have a fantastic room...enjoy :-). I would hate to think in the end what a complete job like that would cost, but if I could I would do it too.
post #258 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

Oh wow, that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love black and red together with some whites and grays. Congrads, that room is an absolute dream, I would want mine exactly the same (I would probably have more classic movie posters but other than that it's a stunner). You have a fantastic room...enjoy :-). I would hate to think in the end what a complete job like that would cost, but if I could I would do it too.

You'd be amazed at how much money you would save by doing all the work yourself. I only paid for an electrician ($2000) and a sheetrock crew ($1000), the carpet was installed by Lowe's but I did pay a premium ($1000) or more to do the stairs and riser/stage upholstery installation. But all in all, labor chargers did not exceed $5000 all together from project start to finish. I did about 80% of the labor with the framing, stage and riser and screenwall construction, insulation, paint and the very dreadful acoustic treatment and fabric wall framing. But I must have saved well over $15K in labor costs by doing all of this on my own. The entire project construction including the bar and all furniture, minus the electronics I already owned, cost under $25K. It's still a big chunk of cash but no where near what some of the 6-figure construction costs I have seen on the AVSForum construction threads.
post #259 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hey Sam, I always love looking at pics of your theater! Love the black and red!

Very nice bar. Wish I had the room at the back of mine for that big of a bar. I showed picks of your stairwell to my wife. We love our posters but never thought about putting them in the stairwell as well - great idea and use. Enjoy the new PJ when it finally shows!!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #260 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Like I said Sammy this turned out great as I look at it again tonight more closely I see we have A LOT of the same paraphernalia taste in common (don't know if you noticed that a few weeks back when you reviewed my pics??)!! Thank God for places like Bed, Bath, Beyond and eBay!

Some of the pictures didn't load for me at work and now that Im at home on the iPad I still see some of them won't load for some reason. Can you see all of them here?

Lastly to your point about financial outlay, I agree wholeheartedly! If I didn't do at least half the work downstairs I would have never been able to afford everything either, (or would have ended up looking "cheezy" with areas I would have had to compromise on).

Amazing how after all that work you get back to your "normal" life and never seem to be able to spend as much time down there as you thought you would once completed! ( course as you know come he'll or high water that's about to change with the JVC's right around the corner!!)

Again, great job my man... kudozzz!! (but "now w/ 3D" In your signature?).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #261 of 275 Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Looks great! Love the bar!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #262 of 275 Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Hey Sam, I always love looking at pics of your theater! Love the black and red!

Very nice bar. Wish I had the room at the back of mine for that big of a bar. I showed picks of your stairwell to my wife. We love our posters but never thought about putting them in the stairwell as well - great idea and use. Enjoy the new PJ when it finally shows!!

What's happening dude! Long time no talk. I got all of the movie posters (artwork) from Blocbuster Video. During the construction period I frequented over a dozen near by Blockbuster stores before most of them closed, and was able to get about 2 dozen posters for very little money. Hanging them in the stairwell will definitely add to the wow factor for sure.

Yeah, I can hardly wait for the RS40 or X3, whichever arrives first at my dealer.
post #263 of 275 Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Looks great! Love the bar!

Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

As I told my wife shortly after we first met, "Wow, nice rack!". Love the large clean looking scoped screen wall but your cartoon buddies standing on either side detract. Also like the retro diner/bar. Great job on the construction and the gear. Personally I would give the wall art color wheel another spin but each to their own.

Thanks for the honest compliment David. As you said, Decor and asthetics really do come down to personal taste. The majority of people who see the theater in pictures and in person absolutely love the WOW factor of the decor, posters, and even the Marvel/DC cut outs and a few people, such as you, weren't crazy about the cut outs and some describe them as unprofessional or tacky. I did remove them for a short period just to see how my theater felt, but my concensus at the end is that those super hero cut outs add to the wow feel and excitement of the theater itself. I never intended to go for the VERY clean and streamlined look of a dedicated theater, I wanted an awe-inspiring, colorful and exciting design and feel of the traditional movie theater with the retro bar or lobby feel and colors througout. But I was careful NOT to over do it by hagning posters over the already acoustically treated walls, hence why you do not see any posters from the second row and forward.
post #264 of 275 Old 12-03-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Like I said Sammy this turned out great as I look at it again tonight more closely I see we have A LOT of the same paraphernalia taste in common (don't know if you noticed that a few weeks back when you reviewed my pics??)!! Thank God for places like Bed, Bath, Beyond and eBay!

Some of the pictures didn't load for me at work and now that Im at home on the iPad I still see some of them won't load for some reason. Can you see all of them here?

Lastly to your point about financial outlay, I agree wholeheartedly! If I didn't do at least half the work downstairs I would have never been able to afford everything either, (or would have ended up looking "cheezy" with areas I would have had to compromise on).

Amazing how after all that work you get back to your "normal" life and never seem to be able to spend as much time down there as you thought you would once completed! ( course as you know come he'll or high water that's about to change with the JVC's right around the corner!!)

Again, great job my man... kudozzz!! (but "now w/ 3D" In your signature?).

Thanks Kevin, I know what you mean about how little time you spend in your own theater once you're done busting your butt building it for months and years and not to mentions pouring 10's of 1000's of dollars out of your hard earned cash. But someone you almost have to snap out of it and force your self to take a break and enjoy the fruits of your hard labor. So once the RS40 or X3 gets here, my wife and I agreed that we will have to come down and watch a few movies every week, at least 3 per week, and preferably 3D

P.S: regarding your first comment, Now you know why I liked your theater so much!
post #265 of 275 Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh but yours blows mine out of the water dude! Great job; you and your wife should be very proud!!

I'll contact you after our JVC "project" is done and I start designing that bar table behind the back row!

Kevin

post #266 of 275 Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Absolutely beautiful theater and so well integrated. The bar is a work of art...

Well done.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #267 of 275 Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Thanks Kevin, I know what you mean about how little time you spend in your own theater once you're done busting your butt building it for months and years and not to mentions pouring 10's of 1000's of dollars out of your hard earned cash. But someone you almost have to snap out of it and force your self to take a break and enjoy the fruits of your hard labor. So once the RS40 or X3 gets here, my wife and I agreed that we will have to come down and watch a few movies every week, at least 3 per week, and preferably 3D

P.S: regarding your first comment, Now you know why I liked your theater so much!

Oh and hey Sam, where did get the narrow version of the 101 movie quotes poster? As you see mine is 24x36" and it's too engulfing on that wall.

Thanks!

Kevin

post #268 of 275 Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh and hey Sam, where did get the narrow version of the 101 movie quotes poster? As you see mine is 24x36" and it's too engulfing on that wall.

Thanks!

That was a steal at Target's clearance section, it has a couple of almost invisible superficial scratches and it was marked 50% off or something. It goes in perfectly in that narrow space between the wall's start and the sconce.
post #269 of 275 Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh but yours blows mine out of the water dude! Great job; you and your wife should be very proud!!

I'll contact you after our JVC "project" is done and I start designing that bar table behind the back row!

You would be surprised to know that this bar didn't cost much more than your RS50 did The reason it was cheap is that I ordered what they call a "wall bar" which was what I wanted anyways as I did not have the shelf room behind the bar, but by going the "wall bar" type I saved thousands of dollars and still achieved the same outside look of the much more expensive bars. Down the road I plan to build my own 5" deep shelves across the long interior portion of the bar, while I also plan on building some shelves around the beverage center in the short end of the bar.
post #270 of 275 Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Absolutely beautiful theater and so well integrated. The bar is a work of art...

Well done.

Thanks Moggie. Thanks for the wonderful feedback.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page