Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2002, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm thinking about putting an HDTV (UHF) antenna on my roof. I am not exactly handy, but I'm willing to bring a hammer up to my roof. How hard is it to mount an antenna to your roof? How does it get attached? (I have asphalt shingles.) I don't want to be putting holes in my roof - what little I know about carpentry is that there are not supposed to be holes in your roof... :)

Also, what about getting the cable into the house? I need to get it into my basement. There's easily accessible wood above the foundation, that I can see from the basement. It's probably pretty thick - 3 2x10's? Do I just drill a hole? I guess after I put the cable through the hole, I need to fill it somehow?

Thanks for any advice. I can also call AmeriLink, the division of Radio Shack, and see how much they'd charge to install an antenna for me. Would that be a better idea?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2002, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster
Hi all,

I can also call AmeriLink, the division of Radio Shack, and see how much they'd charge to install an antenna for me. Would that be a better idea?

Mike
In your situation I'd call a pro. Then next time you have more of an idea of the scope of work. Plus I'm sure they carry insurance.
Dave
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2002, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Depending on the size of antenna you are putting up and how much wind there is in your area will determine how the antenna is mounted. First of all take a look at other houses in your neighborhood and see how their TV antennas are installed. I used a tripod mount with a 6 foot piece of antenna mast (all available at Radio Shack). You will have to put holes in your roof to do a proper installation. If you roof has skip sheathing (meaning that there is not solid plywood under the shakes but instead there are 1x4 or 1x6 strips of wood going across the roof, you will want to attach to these. With a composition roof you would typically put Mastic (black gooey roof patch) under the feet of the tripod and then lag bolt the tripod through the mastic and shingles into the wood underneath. The mastic provides a weather seal and will not leak. If you are unsure you can always apply more mastic after the lag bolts are in place. It is normally used to patch leaks in roofs and works quite well. If you choose to have someone else do the installation you can discuss his method and make sure he is adequately sealing any holes into the roofing material. Hope this helps.

..Doyle

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2002, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

There are other alternatives than mounting on the roof !
Check out the Antenna Mounts section at RadioShack.com

http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro.../15/15-891.jpg

No Holes in Roof !!

Denon AVR-1613
Cambridge Audio " Azur-650c
REGA RP-1 Turntable
Yaqin MS-22b Pre-amp
SILK MC-13S Integrated Power Amp
B&W 685 S2 Speakers
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2002, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies!

I realize that I can do a test on my 2nd floor through an open window, using my existing in-house coax, without doing anything permanent. I'm going to do that first, to see if I can get *any* kind of hope for a signal.

Then I'm definitely going to try to find some pros to do it for me! I could probably do it correctly, but I don't want to screw it up, which I also might do, and it would take me hours, whereas someone who's done it before could do it real quickly...

Mike
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2002, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mike, I ended up putting mine in the attic and get all the channels that I wanted in one direction. I have enough room to put a rotor on there as well in the future. Depending on the antenna you decide to use, this may be an option. I am using a Channel Master 4228 and it is currently sitting on the insulation, propped against a truss. I have pipe and a floor flange and will be propping it up so that it sits higher and is stright up, but it works fine for now. For testing it out, take a longe peice of coax and drape it down through attic vents or from your attic access, down the stairs, and into the theater.

Other than that, do you have a chimney that you can mount it to? There are chimney mount kits that wrap around the chimney so that you don't have to drill any holes in your roof or concrete shingles (I also have these).

Scott

Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page