Stevens Home Theater - The Fun Begins - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 485 Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry for the long azz post there

one day i hope to have something comparale to what you all have.

youth, i see the rock band drums in the corner? do you play rock band or is just your kids playing? i go over to my 17 yr old nephew's house in brandon to play. we both play it all night b/c he has hundreds of songs to choose from. he never got his dad to buy him a decent stereo for rock band and movies ( even though he loves to watch movies all the time and play rb 24/7 ). his bday is coming up and ive just recently bought some new eq so im gonna go over there in a few days and hook up my old yahama rec for him and got some polk 50s from newegg and my older small klipsch center will go there also since i just a bigger polk cen.

im just wondering how good your system sounds when you all are cranking rock band on it? not sure what kind of music you like but i love the 80s rock/metal bands like priest, ratt, van halen, scorpions, etc. rock band has a lot of priest and maiden songs to play so that is what i try to get my nephew to play the most. we have almost convinced his dad to get a new hdtv since they have a 56 inch toshiba from about 12 years ago thats not hdtv.

well anyways i love reading all the posts here on all your diff ht systems so i can dream about having 1 of my own some day.

i just watch blu ray of middle men and trust me you all have to check it out. its a great movie that didnt do great at the multiplex but im sure will get a cult following on dvd/blu ray.

im sure some or all of you know this site to get redbox promo codes:

www.insideredbox.com

and groupon has a deal going to get 3 movies for 1 dollar. the only thing that probably sucks about the deal is you cant get blu ray. i do love using my 1.00off codes for the 1.50 blu rentals and only playing 54 cents per blu ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 485 Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
You will, it just takes time. A lot of the stuff I have is from bartering and great deals on Craigslist. Saved a TON of money that way.

We haven't played Rock Band in quite some time. It has retired to the garage (probably indefinitely). I played it with my kids and when we have youth over, we would play it. We've just lost interest in it. Last I heard, Guitar Hero and Rock Band are hurting because people are frankly getting bored with it. The novelty of it has wore off.

Your nephew is going to love the setup you are hooking him up with. It brings a whole new dimension when you add a system to the game.

I think it sounded pretty amazing in the theater room. 220watts x 5 from the Parasound amp to my 5 speakers plus 1250 watts from the 15" Velodyne sub and watching it on an 8' screen makes it very engaging.

I've yet to use Redbox. Always go to Blockbuster.

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

post #363 of 485 Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I picked up my second pair of RF-7's, this time in black finish. Cosmetically, they are in really great shape. Grills have no tears and ALL grill pegs are intact (very unusual). These look like they were babied and well taken care of. Drivers have no imperfections. One speaker has a blemish on the top from a candle. I'm guessing the hot wax dripped on the top. You can't even see it from a foot or two away.

I have been busy so I haven't had much time to play with them. This go around, I'm going to do the unthinkable...I want to take my RF-83's out from behind the false wall and put the RF-7's in there to see how they compare to the RF-83's in the same location. The last go around, I pulled my RF-83's out into the open next to them to compare to a Maple pair I purchased.

My 12 yr old son will likely get these for his bedroom and we'll sell his CF-2's. Not quite sure they will fit in his room yet. I'll see only after they have spent some quality time in the HT. []

Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV

post #364 of 485 Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I watched the Book of Eli with the RF-7's. This was my first time hearing the RF-7's in my room for HT. The RF-7's did exceptionally well with very clear and distinct details. I like the "in your face" sound and did not feel they were too harsh at all. I felt they blended very well with the RC-64.

As you can see, I haven't moved them into my son's room yet. Still more playing to do before I let them go. Next weekend, I want to replace my RF-83's with the 7's behind the false wall to see how they compare in the same location.

post #365 of 485 Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I recently had a chance to try out a new toy. A Velodyne DD12 (12" with 1250w RMS/3000 peak) subwoofer with the Calibration Mic! I've heard a lot of great things about the DD Series and I have been more than pleased with my Velodyne HGS15 which was the series prior to the DD Series.
I wanted to see how it compared to my HGS15 and finally hear what it sounds like to have two subs in my HT.

At first sight, it is georgeous with the Piano Black Finish. It has XLR inputs as well as the Calibration Mic and a video out so you can actually see the frequency response. One thing that really surprised me was how small and light the sub is compared to my HGS15.

Specs Compared:

HGS15 DD12
19.74" x 18" x 17-7/8" 14.8" x 14" x 15.8"
15" Driver 12" Driver
1250RMS/3000 Peak 1250RMS/3000 Peak
18Hz - 120Hz 17Hz - 120Hz
95lbs 67lbs

Velodyne DD12 with Grill on

Velodyne DD12 with Grill off

Velodyne DD12 (Rear View)

Here is a shot with the calibration mic

Here is a photo showing the size difference HGS12 on left, DD12 on right. The picture does not do the contrasting sizes justice since the DD12 is closer to the camera and the bottom of the HGS12 is hidden by the false wall.

I didn't get to spend too much time with it but to my ears, it doesn't sound much different than my HGS15. It definitely sounds clean, not boomy and seems to hang pretty well with my HGS15. Definitely another sweet Velodyne sub but IMO, it wasn't enough difference for me to change from my HGS15. If I had limitations on size of sub, this makes one awesome sub in a small package.

post #366 of 485 Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Hi Youthman, I stumbled on your threads searching for information about the use of the rs-42's and rb & rs-35's. You have a very nice setup, your hard work has paid off! Hopefully one of these days I'll be close, but not anytime soon! I share a common affliction with you, as I do most of my equipment upgrading through craigslist, ebay and trading. I love the thrill of the chase almost as much as being in my theater!
If you don't mind I'd like to ask your opinion on my upgrade track.
I am using RB-35's for mains, and RC-35 for center. I will keep them for now.
I just sold an old Onkyo HTIB set that I was using the surrounds and sub from. I found a cheap KSW-12 sub to try out, definitely a big improvement over the Onkyo, but will upgrade that soon I think.
My dilemma is regarding the surrounds. I don't want them beside the seating area due to placement/wife factors. I was planning on putting them about 3 feet behind the seating, and about even with my ear position (about 3-4 feet off floor) on the rear wall. I am thinking of RS-42's for this. Do you think they would work better than direct-fires for this placement? If I went direct I would probably go with rb-51's or 61's to stay small for the wife.
Here is a pic

you can see the onkyo's on the shelf at rear beside the silver ball things, and on the little cabinet in front of curtains at extreme right. This is where I would like to put the RS-42's. Do you have a better suggestion for surrounds?
Thanks for reading all this!
post #367 of 485 Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the kind words. You have a great looking room as well. Going from a HTIB to even a smaller Reference Series Klipsch setup is a huge improvement in itself.

If you are using your room more for movies than music, the RS series would work out great. I picked my RS-52's on craigslist for $250 so it was a deal I could not pass up. They were a huge improvement over my previous RB-35's for surrounds but my RB speakers were mounted entirely too high.

Ideally, you want your surrounds to be about 2 - 3 ft above your ears and slightly behind your listening position. In your room, I would move them up at least one shelf or possibly on the top shelf but definitely not on the very top of the unit as that would be too high.

I personally have not heard the RS-42's but many in the Klipsch forums have used them with great success. Your surrounds are not as critical as your mains so you will probably be fine with them.

What front speakers are you working towards? Try to find your ideal system and begin working towards that. I would rather save up my money and buy what I really want (especially a sweet deal on craigslist) than "settle" for something less and regret it down the road.

I went from a used pair of CF-2's and a KV-1 straight to the RF-83 system. LOL That way, I knew I wouldn't ever have the upgrade bug again.

Have you joined the Klipsch forum? If not, it's a great community. I hang out in the Home Theater section.

post #368 of 485 Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Just finished reading this entire thread and I have to say, everything looks awesome. I do hope that your PS3 does not get too hot in that cramped area though. =)
post #369 of 485 Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the kind words SuperX.

Since that photo was taken, I have since moved it up to the left of the Yamaha receiver for the same reason as you've stated. It probably had adequate ventilation since the front of the door to that part of the false wall is speaker grill cloth and the back of the unit is very open. But I figured with the large heat sinks on the side of the amp, it might send a lot of heat that direction which could in the long run, shorten the lifespan of the PS3. It wouldn't hurt for me to add a fan inside their as well.

You can see in the images below that I intentionally did not build the shelf the entire depth of the cabinet to allow heat to rise up from the bottom and escape behind the open area behind the screen.

You can see the space from the top view as well. From this viewpoint, my head is directly behind my screen (screen on left, back wall on right) so you can see how open the area is. There really is no "top" to the audio/video cabinet.

Here is a shot from the other direction during construction of the false wall. The three compartments on the bottom section of the cabinet have no top and the the middle section behind the screen is totally open.

post #370 of 485 Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I rented "Hannah" on Bluray last weekend. Interesting movie with good sound effects and plot. Not your typical storyline.

post #371 of 485 Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like this is going to be an exciting weekend after bringing home some some sweet new toys. And just in time to try out my new Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. I'll be testing them out this weekend.

Integra Research RDA-7 Amp
160w x 7 @ 6ohm
112lbs and 2ft deep! I've never seen a home audio amp this large. My 80lb Parasound Amp feels like a paper weight compared to this monster.
Has a very cool looking chasis and is entirely ventilated by the holes in the case.
Retail: $5000

Integra Research RDC-7 Pre/Pro

Retail: $4500

Integra Research RDV-1 DVD Player

Retail: $4000

Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver
130w x 7

post #372 of 485 Old 09-17-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

These new toys aren't mine. I brought them home over the weekend to photograph for a friend that is in the A/V business and will be listing them for him. Cool thing is that he doesn't mind me playing with them before I list them. [] I need to run to Walmart and pick up some speaker wire before I can do any testing.

From my understanding, Integra Research is a little different company than the current Onkyo Integra Series. With the Retail price tags, I would think so.

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. How does a $13,000 Retail system (Integra Pre/Pro, Amp and DVD Player) compares to my $4100 (Yamaha receiver, Parasound amp and PS3) retail system.

2. How does a $4000 DVD player compare to my $400 PS3?

3. How does a $4000 Pre/Pro sound compared to my $1200 Yamaha receiver that is serving as my Pre/Pro?

4. How does a $5000 130w/ch amp sound compared to my $2500 220w/ch amp?

I am anxious to see if my non-audiophile ears will be able to hear a difference in equipment that is at a much higher price point than my current gear. My hypothesis is that I will not hear 2 - 3 times an increase in sound quality and will see the law of diminishing return at work here....but who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised. Guess we shall see. I'll post my thoughts hopefully later this afternoon.

post #373 of 485 Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today, I picked up a Harman Kardon AVR70 in excellent condition. I am putting together a simple, budget 2ch system for my office. It has been several years since I sold my previous AVR55. I have since upgraded receiver from the AVR55 to an Onkyo TX-SR703 (because it had DTS and preouts) and then upgraded from there to my current Yamaha RX-V1800 (with HDMI and support of the HD audio formats). Since owning the Onkyo and Yamaha, I never have been able to reproduce the sq in 2ch as I so much enjoyed from the HK AVR55.

Needless to say, I was excited to come home to be able to compare my Yamaha to an HK. I hooked up the HK to an Integra Research RD-1 to my RF-83's and no sub. I set the HK to 2ch, flat response on bass and treble and played through my demo CD's and DVD's.

The clarity, separation and depth quickly brought me back to nastalgia. I once again remembered why I so much enjoyed the sound of the HK.

Just wanted to say that I am still of the mindset that HK makes a much better receiver for 2ch than Onkyo and Yamaha.

I'm hoping to pick up a pair of RB-5's tomorrow to pair up with the HK.

post #374 of 485 Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I did a search of your thread but could not find the type of chairs you are using in the front row. What kind of chairs are those?
post #375 of 485 Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi, they are from the Aurora Collection from American Signature. Sorry, I added that info on page 8 of my build thread. I absolutely love them. Bought them used from a guy. He paid around $2300, I paid $750. Super comfy. My back row is not near as soft of leather and they are manual but they were like new purchased from a Model Home where the builder was closing his business.

post #376 of 485 Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
They look very nice. Thought they looked expensive.
post #377 of 485 Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

These new toys aren't mine. I brought them home over the weekend to photograph for a friend that is in the A/V business and will be listing them for him. Cool thing is that he doesn't mind me playing with them before I list them. [] I need to run to Walmart and pick up some speaker wire before I can do any testing.

From my understanding, Integra Research is a little different company than the current Onkyo Integra Series. With the Retail price tags, I would think so.

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. How does a $13,000 Retail system (Integra Pre/Pro, Amp and DVD Player) compares to my $4100 (Yamaha receiver, Parasound amp and PS3) retail system.

2. How does a $4000 DVD player compare to my $400 PS3?

3. How does a $4000 Pre/Pro sound compared to my $1200 Yamaha receiver that is serving as my Pre/Pro?

4. How does a $5000 130w/ch amp sound compared to my $2500 220w/ch amp?

I am anxious to see if my non-audiophile ears will be able to hear a difference in equipment that is at a much higher price point than my current gear. My hypothesis is that I will not hear 2 - 3 times an increase in sound quality and will see the law of diminishing return at work here....but who knows, I could be pleasantly surprised. Guess we shall see. I'll post my thoughts hopefully later this afternoon.

I think Integra Research went by the wayside if I'm not mistaken but here are my thoughts on that stuff.
In my opinion, there is no DVD player that was ever invented that can compete with the biggest piece of crap $80.00 blu-ray player. I, like you, get extremely excited when I find great deals for my theater. This equipment is made for people that can easily afford that Ferrari you posted a picture of earlier. These people aren't interested in price tags. If you have ever read an article from Electronic House, you can see alot of large homes with home theaters that look neat, but have over priced gear. Alot of these projects in that magazine cost well over $50,000 and they will be poorly designed as far as theater acoustics go. But they have silk pillows or a star field ceiling or something like that, and the price just gets ridiculous.

1. You're system wasn't $4100 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if you walked into your local home audio store but I recall you paid significantly less. The point is, your system, I'm sure, sounds great. You have quality components.
2. I already mentioned my utter distaste for a $4000 DVD player earlier. The same goes with that Marantz Blu-ray player that goes for $6000.00 and that Lexicon that is nothing more than an Oppo inside of a Lexicon case, that goes for $4000 I think. And yes, it actually is an entire Oppo blu-ray player inside of a really cool looking Lexicon case. From what I've read, your PS3 is second only to the Oppo BDP-93 as far quality blu-ray players go.
3. I own an Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro that I paid $600 for. I'm almost certain, it is just as good as the $4000 one, and I'm pretty sure your Yamaha is too. I "upgraded" from a Denon AVR-988 and to be honest, I liked the Denon more. The Integra has the balanced audio connectors for my amp which I'm sure makes no difference in sound.
4. Your Parasound will undoubtedly blow that $5000 piece of junk away. 130 watts per channel is terribly weak for that price point. I have an Outlaw that is 115 watts at 4 ohms (all 7 of my speakers are 4 ohms) and for me its fine right now. I paid $600 for it shipped. My amp will not compete with your Parasound due to the difference in power. You've got a good system and a nice room. I, like you, am proud as hell of my bargains. I don't brag to people about the retail prices of my equipment. I brag about the discounts I got.
post #378 of 485 Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Stockmonkey, thanks for the kind words. I'm guessing they are not in the "expensive" category as I'm sure you can spend much more than even $2300 for three seats. To me, I would not pay that much. I'm a deal seeker. $750 is super budget for leather theater seats in immaculate condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

I think Integra Research went by the wayside if I'm not mistaken but here are my thoughts on that stuff.
In my opinion, there is no DVD player that was ever invented that can compete with the biggest piece of crap $80.00 blu-ray player. I, like you, get extremely excited when I find great deals for my theater. This equipment is made for people that can easily afford that Ferrari you posted a picture of earlier. These people aren't interested in price tags. If you have ever read an article from Electronic House, you can see alot of large homes with home theaters that look neat, but have over priced gear. Alot of these projects in that magazine cost well over $50,000 and they will be poorly designed as far as theater acoustics go. But they have silk pillows or a star field ceiling or something like that, and the price just gets ridiculous.

1. You're system wasn't $4100 if I'm not mistaken. Maybe if you walked into your local home audio store but I recall you paid significantly less. The point is, your system, I'm sure, sounds great. You have quality components.

You are correct. I didn't pay anywhere close to that. I was comparing retail prices. I try to buy quality components at ridiculously low prices.

Quote:

2. I already mentioned my utter distaste for a $4000 DVD player earlier. The same goes with that Marantz Blu-ray player that goes for $6000.00 and that Lexicon that is nothing more than an Oppo inside of a Lexicon case, that goes for $4000 I think. And yes, it actually is an entire Oppo blu-ray player inside of a really cool looking Lexicon case. From what I've read, your PS3 is second only to the Oppo BDP-93 as far quality blu-ray players go.

Earlier this week, I brought a friend over that loves music. I demoed several songs on both the Integra Research DVD Player and the PS3 connected to an older HK AVR 70. In all but one song, he said he preferred the detail and separation of the PS3.

Quote:

3. I own an Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro that I paid $600 for. I'm almost certain, it is just as good as the $4000 one, and I'm pretty sure your Yamaha is too. I "upgraded" from a Denon AVR-988 and to be honest, I liked the Denon more. The Integra has the balanced audio connectors for my amp which I'm sure makes no difference in sound.

Many items have a high pricetag just because they can and because certain people are willing to pay that much. Law of Supply and Demand. A long time ago, when I worked at Circuit City, we went to a Monster Cable training seminar. The showed us why Monster was superior to other cables blah blah blah and at the end of the seminar, they brought out their Premium Speaker Cables. They were maybe 6ft in length and if I remember correctly, they were $700/pair. He asked us if we thought they were worth that much or if we would be able to hear $700 worth of a difference. His answer was, "No you can't but we make them because we have customers that are willing to pay for the absolute best". It's crazy.

Quote:

4. Your Parasound will undoubtedly blow that $5000 piece of junk away. 130 watts per channel is terribly weak for that price point. I have an Outlaw that is 115 watts at 4 ohms (all 7 of my speakers are 4 ohms) and for me its fine right now. I paid $600 for it shipped. My amp will not compete with your Parasound due to the difference in power. You've got a good system and a nice room. I, like you, am proud as hell of my bargains. I don't brag to people about the retail prices of my equipment. I brag about the discounts I got.

You got it. There are some incredible deals to be had out there. I think the only item I paid full retail for in my HT was my projector but I paid a premium mainly for the zoom memory feature. I'll kick myself in the butt when I go to sell it. LOL Oh well....I used my income tax refund to pay for it.

post #379 of 485 Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just ordered the Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro. It will ship today and will probably be here by Wednesday. I also ordered a 10' XLR Cable from Monoprice for my sub since the Emo has an XLR sub out and my Velodyne has XLR inputs.

post #380 of 485 Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My UMC-1 arrived today! The sales office and Lonnie were extremely friendly in answering my pre-sales questions. No smoke and mirrors, Lonnie shot straight with me and said if I had any reservations about the UMC-1, then I probably shouldn't buy it (was that reverse psychology?)

Packing was excellent At first glance, it's georgeous. The brushed aluminum is very classy. I even love the look of the remote (don't care for the "clicking" buttons though).

The UMC-1 is replacing my previous Yamaha RX-V1800 so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it compares to an AVR both in SQ and Features.

HDMI handshake with the PS3 was fine, a little slower than the Yamaha when switching sources but acceptable. I did hear the "pop" through my speakers when I powered it up. I'll have to see how often that happens. No popping when increasing volume so that is good.

Unfortunately, the wife and kids were in bed so I was only able to play at low volumes. I'll get to play with the audio side tomorrow. Video looked very sharp.

For now, I thought I would share a little eye candy.

post #381 of 485 Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
That remote is SEXY!

Would the POP go away if turned it on before the amp? I would think so.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #382 of 485 Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The UMC-1 still has two or three bugs they are trying to resolve with their last firmware release. That was one of the bugs that some had experienced. It only happened once. The UMC-1 triggers my amp to turn on after it turns on so that's not the problem.

I was surprised with the remote. It's not your typical plastic. It's made out of aluminum (endcaps and the body). The buttons make a "clicking" sound every time you push them (annoying) but many have mentioned that in the forums. Hopefully Emotiva are listening to their customers and will fix that with the release of their upcoming XMC-1 Pre/Pro in 2012. Also, the remote shipped with batteries but you have to remove 6 screws on the back just to get to them. LOL

Can't wait to begin tweaking it and hear how it sounds.

post #383 of 485 Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dual Velodyne HGS15's in the HOUSE!

Today I picked up a second Velodyne HGS15. [] 1 year of patience has paid off.

I'm hoping to be able to spend some time this weekend doing some A/B comparison with 1 vs 2 subs. I'm curious how much difference it will make in my setup.

Last weekend I cut and painted a bottom shelf for the bottom right cabinet. You can see the left sub is laying on the floor while the right sub is level with the front of the cabinet. My intent was to make a media storage area in the bottom right area of the false wall. With the 2nd sub installed there, I no longer have anywhere for DVD's, CD's, Blurays and PS3 games. []

I really do not "need" a second sub. The single HGS15 paired with the RF-83's provides more than adequate bass for my room but let's face it, this hobby isn't about "needs" now is it. [:P]

I have the left Velodyne hooked up to the Emotiva UMC-1 via XLR and the right one currently hooked up via RCA. I was thinking the UMC-1 had two XLR sub outs but I was wrong. I will need to purchase an XLR Y splitter.

Here's are a few pics of the Dual Velodyne HGS15's installed.

Closeup Shot

Rear View

post #384 of 485 Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the second sub! I didn't think I "needed" a second either, but after having it, the advantages are "necessary". I think you'll find the same. The main difference in my setup was that one sub always sounded like I was getting base from a sub. With the second, the base is just "there". It's an energy...kind of like "the force"

I'll be curious to hear your impressions after you have it dialed in.

Construction Thread
post #385 of 485 Old 11-18-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Tony. With the single HGS15, I don't "hear" where the bass is coming from which I think is the goal. From my understanding, typically when you can locate the sub with your ears, sometimes the problem is it's turned up too loud. The goal is to get it set to where it blends with the rest of your speakers. Someone once said that you should only notice your subwoofer when you turn it off.

I too am looking forward to seeing how two subs compare to running just one.

post #386 of 485 Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

hahahaha...then we have different goals. Not laughing at you, laughing at me.

Construction Thread
post #387 of 485 Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Man, I just looked through some of your build thread. Your room is amazing. With three Lascalas, Danley subs...you probably totally have me beat on SPL. LOL

This is Tony...

post #388 of 485 Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, tonight I was able to demo the Dual HGS15's with Captain America. I had not had a chance to demo, calibrate etc. I set the level and crossover on the sub to match the first one dropped in the movie and dimmed the lights.

This was my first opportunity to listen to them since I my recent purchase of the second HGS15. The addition of a second sub was absolutely incredible. If you remember in some of my posts a long time ago, I've always been wanting to "feel" more during movies. Search no longer. The depth that the Velo's dig is pretty incredible. Never once sounding strained or distorted. Just tight, clean, gut wrenching bass. I had previously considered adding butt kickers but after adding the 2nd sub, I no longer have a need for them.

Tonight, we all experienced the movie at a new level. With each explosion, firing of the guns, we literally were feeling each action sequence. Although my chair and body were vibrating, I never felt that it was "boomy" or overbearing of the mains. Without any tweaking, it sounded pretty sweet to me. Can't wait until I'm able to actually dial it in and make it even better.

We all really enjoyed the movie as well. The plot and storyline was well written. Movie was very clean, other than a few cuss words. I was glad that the movie producers didn't add sexuality and all the other typical garbage that is often littered throughout movies. There is even a sceen where a guy moons Captain America and just when he is about to drop his drawers, the camera cuts to another scene. It just goes to show you that you can make a clean movie and still make a great movie.

Action scenes gave the subs the ability to flex their muscles. Lots of LFE during explosions, gunfire, ray guns (not sure what they called them) etc. I had heard from a few of my youth that the movie wasn't that good. They lied. We loved it.
At the end of the movie, my daugher said, "That was just awesome!". I asked my son what he thought about the second sub, he said "It definitely had more bass". Doesn't get much better than that.

I had previously borrowed a DD15 and had it paired with my other sub and didn't really hear a difference. It was not in the location my second sub is now so that probably had a huge difference. I do want to compare a few scenes with 1 HGS15 vs Dual HGS15's just to verify if the second sub truly made that much of a difference. Maybe Captain America was just that good but I'm thinking the 2nd sub is what made the difference.

Good news is my 15 amp breakers never tripped. Just when I thought my HT couldn't get any better...it did.

post #389 of 485 Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you're doing just fine in the LFE department! Hahaha. Glad to hear the glowing report. All the benefits of dual subs that you read about I found to be spot on. SPL being the least important of them.

Oh, and I agree on Capt. America. The reviews had me willing to wait on it, but I'm glad I didn't!

Construction Thread
post #390 of 485 Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My trusty Boston Acoustics MediaTheater 2.1 system is sounding pretty rough with a blown subwoofer speaker. You can hear the speaker rattle pretty bad so I figured the foam around the speaker has deteriorated over the years.

Today, a pair of Promedia 2.1 Star Wars Edition speakers poped up on Craigslist for $20. That's my kind of deal.

They appear to be in very good cosmetic condition. Looks like he took really great care of them. The last Promedia set I bought at a yard sale for $15 lasted less than 2 weeks. Got my fingers crossed. LOL I figure at that price, it's worth the risk.

I briefly plugged them in to ensure they work and they sound great. This is the first I have seen of the Star Wars Edition. It apparently has a single 8" driver vs my previous Promedia 2.1 that had dual 8" drivers. Regardless, the bass will be plenty for my home office.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page