Stevens Home Theater - The Fun Begins - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 486 Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks Shaun. Me too. They sound absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see you and your family next month. You will fall in love with them and will then be on the hunt for yourself a pair to upgrade your RF-3ii's. smile.gif

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 486 Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are the RF-7's in their new home. smile.gif

Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV

post #453 of 486 Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, the RF-7's stay in the living room are being cut short. I had the opportunity to purchase a complete 11.0 Klipsch RF-7ii system.

I compared the Klipsch RF-83 / RC-64 currently in the HT with the newly purchased RF-7ii / RC-64ii and neither me nor my son heard any difference (for HT) between the two.

Today, I moved the RF-83's and the RF-7ii into the living room to do some A/B comparison bettween them and the original RF-7's.

After an hour of listening, I concluded that the RF-7's are the brightest, most detailed of the three. The RF-83's are the smoothest, most laid back of the three. The RF-7ii are somewhere in between. Bright and detailed, yet smooth and refined.

So my decision is to sell the original RF-7's, move the RF-7ii into the 2ch setup and keep the RF-83 system in the HT.

post #454 of 486 Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I absolutely love the new front wood finish on the RF-7ii's as well as the copper color of the woofer vs the gold color in the RF-83's. They are simply stunning to look at and beautiful to listen to. Awesome job Klipsch!

post #455 of 486 Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm pretty excited. Yesterday I picked up a Sherbourn 72100A Amp. I honestly thought my 85lb Parasound HCA2205a was a beast to lug around. The Sherbourn is ridiculous at 115lbs!

So far, I tested it out on the RF-7ii's in the living room using only 2 channels of the amp. The Sherbourn has more bottom end than the NAD 2700 I'm currently using. The Sherbourn seems as warm sounding as the NAD and is very detailed as well.

I'll be hooking it up in the HT next week to see how it sounds with the RF-83 system. Even though I doubt it will make a difference, I might use the extra 2 channels to bi-amp the RF-83's. Anyone see any problem in doing that? This will provide me with additional power should I decide down the road to move to a 7.1 setup. Due to my second row seats being very close to the back wall, I would probably have to go with inwalls for the surround backs.

Sherbourn 72100A (200 x 7) Specs

The 7/2100A weighs an astounding 115 pounds and features the world’s first seven mono block, seven toroidal transformer amplifier. This brute will output a massive 2.1 kW and comes with two power cords to ensure that you can pull all of the needed power from two outlets, which eliminates the need to install a special 20-amp circuit. Sherbourn uses only the finest components, including fifty-six bi-polar Mosfet transistors and has an over 150,000 microfarad capacitance. The rear panel includes XLR and RCA inputs, gold plated five-way binding posts and a low voltage trigger input. Unique to Sherbourn is our LDS, (Load Detection System) that allows the amp to sample the signal before powering up and will detect if the “load” is within safe parameters.

200 x 7 @ 8 OHMS (All Channels Driven)
300 x 7 @ 4 OHMS (All Channels Driven)
Six of the Seven channels can be bridged to give a front stage output of 400 x 3 @ 8 OHMS and 600 x 3 @ 4 OHMS

And as usual, here is some photos for your enjoyment.

post #456 of 486 Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No worries David, you had quite a job working on the archive. Thx

post #457 of 486 Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had to order the 12v Trigger plug from Emotiva / Sherbourn before I could install the amp. The part arrived Thursday so last night, I began installing the amp. My original intent was to only use 5ch but it would be nice to have the extra two should I move to a 7.1 down the road. Well, that day may come sooner than I realized. I was talking to a friend and he said since I already have two pair of Klispch RS-62ii surrounds and I have the extra channels, why not at least hook it up and see if it makes a big enough difference.

So I got everything hooked up but the wife was already in bed so I couldn't really crank it to see how it sounded.

I invited a friend over today to help me run through some demos and compare 5.1 to 7.1. For now, I set the Surround Backs on the armrest of the rear seats.

If I choose to go 7.1, I have two options for mounting the RS-62ii's.

I can mount them low which would put them about 1' above the back row LP and 3' above the front row LP. To me, this seems like ideal height placement. I had to mount the side surrounds about 1' higher than that so I wouldn't bang my head on the speaker when walking by it.

Or I could mount them just above the door frame.

I do like the way they look up high and it would make installation much easier since I already have wall jacks in place. My only concern is will they be heard at 8' in the air (my ceilings are 10'). One option I have considered is making a custom mount of some sort that will allow me to angle the speaker down maybe 45 degrees.

When I had the RB-35 bookshelves mounted, I never heard them since the mount only allowed for 7 degree tilt and the tweeter was close to 6" from the ceiling. The sound basically was aimed towards my front wall so I removed them and is why I'm currently at a 5.1 setup.

Here is a photo when they were mounted.

Any suggestions?

post #458 of 486 Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice David. I never thought about using just a single center in the back. That might be an option. I would just have to move my acoustic panel above it.

Today, a friend from the Klipsch forum came over and we demoed a few scenes from Avatar. When the helicopter is overhead, with 7.1, it definitely was more enveloping but it was not night and day difference. Going to go through some more tests tomorrow with other 7.1 material to see how much difference it makes.

post #459 of 486 Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wake Junkie and his family made it safely to Florida. Before heading out on our cruise, we spent the morning adding stone work to the front of my house by the garage and mounting the RS-62ii custom mounts that he made and brought with him.

Check these out! They are super simple in design but absolutely stunning when hung. He used a French Cleat design for the mounts to "hang" onto the metal mounting bracket. He left a large slot in the top so we could easily stuff extra speaker wire in behind the speaker. They are angled down at 26 degrees which aims them right at the front row (something my previous RB-35's were missing). The mounts were spray painted and then wet sanded with 800 grit sandpaper to give it a super finished look. One thing that really makes these a clean install is he made the mounts slightly smaller than the actual speaker so they are recessed behind the speaker. I just wanted to brag on Wake's mad handiman skills.

Here are some pics of mounts.

post #460 of 486 Old 11-16-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My friend WakeJunkie came down for a visit and helped me with several projects in the HT. We blacked out the long window which greatly helped reduce the amount of light that enters the room. Later I will put some dark window tint on the double sliding glass door but since it opens up to the lanai, there isn't any direct sunlight that enters the room.

We also added piano hinges to all 6 of the cabinet doors since the top 3 were originally inaccessible and the bottom 3 would not stay closed and were starting to sag and bow. We reinforced the top part of the false wall since the builder of the cabinet did not add any support in the center of it. These seem like small details but they really were a huge blessing to me to have his help with these.

post #461 of 486 Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to hear a friend's LaScalas and they were beautiful sounding speakers. Recently, I had the chance to pick up a pair for myself and had TOTALLY forgot how large they were. LOL. These have an absolutely beautiful finish. Other than a few small nicks near the bottom of the cabinets, they are in amazing condition for a 34 year old speaker. Everything looks original and they have AA Crossovers. Serial Numbers are Sequential. Based on the serial number, they are Vintage 1980. There weren't any stickers on the back so I'm not sure of the style these (not even sure what different variety LaScalas came in. I have no idea what finish these are in or if they were stained at one time. Feel free to help educate me on these because I know little to nothing about them.

I've been listening to a variety of source material. Youtube and streaming and Airplay from my cell phone sound like garbage on them. Haha. I think it's because they are just very revealing? Once I hooked up Dave Matthews, Eagles and a few other concert DVD's, they sounded very nice.

I've always heard guys speak of how the 3-way heritage speakers have better midrange. I've owned Forte II and Chorus II and I thought those were "heritage" but later found out they weren't part of the heritage series. I never felt they blew away my RF-83's in the midrange department. The LaScalas definitely have a better midrange though. That midrange horn is HUGE! The throat on the horn is 2ft deep. It's very smooth and vocals sound amazingly natural.

Bass from the LaScalas in my HT is extremely weak. I even turned the crossover for my mains to Full and they were still weak. I've always heard guys say that about the LaScalas and there are a few that "claim" the LaScalas have plenty of bass. Sorry, that's just not the case in my room. Over the next week, I want to move them into my living room (wife has to leave for a few hours to do that). I want to see how bass sounds with hardwood floor and how they sound in a very open floorplan layout. No worries as long as you have a capable sub. My RSW-15 provided plenty of low end to allow the LaScalas to really shine.

Movies sounded amazingly clear and precise. Very detailed.

My next step is to do some A/B comparison between the LaScalas and the RF-83's to see how they directly compare to each other. Because the LaScalas do not have banana plugs, I have a set of speaker cables hooked up to the RF-83's and a second set hooked up to the LaScalas and will have to change the cables on the back of the amp. It should be another fun comparison.

Next week, I'm purchasing a third LaScala from a Klipsch Forum member who happens to be driving down from SC to Florida and will be staying 45 minutes from my house and will be driving by my exit on his way!

Here are some pics of them.

post #462 of 486 Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The plan is to set the RF-83 beside the LaScalas and bring the RC-64 down from the top shelf and lay it on top of the center LaScala and do some direct A/B comparisons between the two trios. From what I've already heard, I believe the LaScala will be much clearer and more detailed than the RF-83 / RC-64.

Tony123, I'll be picking your brain bro cause you have a very similar setup in your amazing HT.

post #463 of 486 Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had a friend draw up a concept awhile back when I first considered going with an AT Screen. I asked him if he could modify the design to extend the screen 2ft forward to accomodate for the LaScalas behind the screen and instead of a 150" screen, draw up a 130" screen. I think moving from a 103" 2.35:1 screen to a 130" 2.35:1 AT Screen would be a sweet upgrade but wanted to get some advice through the process.

Here is the original Google Sketchup wakejunkie drew up.

post #464 of 486 Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today a Klipsch Forum member will be delivering the third LaScala. He lives in SC and has a business trip to Florida and just happened to be staying 45min from my home and will be passing right by my exit on his way. He left early this morning and should arrive this afternoon. biggrin.gif

Here is a modified Google Sketchup to include 3 LaScalas behind the AT Screen. We are still tweaking the layout and renderings but here are the updated Sketchups.

post #465 of 486 Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That looks familiar. wink.gif

Shaping up!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #466 of 486 Old 05-13-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Tony I'm in the theater room now hooking them up

post #467 of 486 Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My third LaScala was delivered this evening from a Klipsch Forum member all the way from SC to FL.

I want to do some A/B Comparisons between the LaScala Trio and the RF-83 / RC-64 combo to see which setup I like the best.

post #468 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Love your theater...

Because of you i am going to build my own..

I have 15X15 room look very similar to yours.

What are recommendation?

post #469 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the kind words Movie78. I originally was going to hire someone to build my HT.....until I received a quote. By doing it yourself, you will gain more satisfaction, know exactly where every cable is, how it all is connected together and will save a TON.

"What are your recommnedation?" is a very broad question. Are there some specific questions you can think of?

With 15', you will likely have a single row.

I love Klipsch and recently purchased 3 LaScalas and they are absolutely amazing!

Most of my HT has been built around buying quality used gear (again saving a TON of money).

Plan it through, decide what exactly you want and don't be afraid to build it over time and as funds are available.

Save up, pay as you go, pay cash for everything. It somehow sounds better when there isn't a payment attached to it.

post #470 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the information..

What size of screen do you recommend?

And what do you think of curve screen?

post #471 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Size screen depends on a lot of factors (Distance from screen, amount of ambient light, brightness of projector, throw distance etc). Take a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

post #472 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Size screen depends on a lot of factors (Distance from screen, amount of ambient light, brightness of projector, throw distance etc). Take a look at http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Thanks again..

Do all projector support curve screen?

post #473 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not familiar with Curved Screens. That would be a question to ask SeymourAV.com or another curve screen manufacturer.

post #474 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My guess is that they will work with any projector.

You will also need to figure out if you want to go with a 16:9 or 2.35:1 or an even wider format 2:40:1 etc. I would suggest starting your own HT Build Thread. That way you can keep all of your questions in one thread and document your journey from the informational gathering to the actual building of it. My build thread was a BIG help in many of the decisions I made with my HT.

post #475 of 486 Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

post #476 of 486 Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today a Klipsch forum member purchased my Cherry RF-83 & Cherry RC-64. These have been the foundation of my HT since the beginning of this build thread. Today I begin a new direction with the HT and am somewhat moving into a 2.0 HT. Looking forward to finally moving to a 150" AT screen with the (3) Klipsch LaScalas behind it. Then down the road, I plan to upgrade to a horn loaded sub like the Danley DTS10 or DTS20.

post #477 of 486 Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So tonight, my wife was hanging out with the ladies in our neighborhood so I had some time all to myself to sneak into the HT for some more LaScala time.

I put in the original Transformers and played my usual demo scenes. I'm finally beginning to see what all the Heritage Hype was about. Seriously I've never heard more detail, clarity and presence in any setup before. It's truly amazing how sound seamlessly gets handed off from one speaker to the next but it sounds like it's just one wide speaker. I haven't re-run my auto calibration software but I'm guessing my surrounds are way too low now due to efficiency in the LaScalas but even so, there is such an encompassing sound that simply wraps around you. The RSW-15 is doing fantastic keeping up with the LaScala Trio. Lots of chest pounding LFE during the opening scene with the helicopter pilot, the scorpion in the dessert scene and in the Ironhide flip scene near the end of the movie. One scene that really surprised me was the scene where they are all on the highway and the decepticons come up from behind and attack on the interstate. That scene has always been a good demo but this time, when the car skids, the tires are so crisp and detailed. When they transform, you hear every clank, ting and ratchet sound of the parts as they transform. There is just an overwhelming excitement from watching movies now that I'm thrilled and have absolutely no remorse over letting go of my beloved RF-83 / RC-64.

Next I put in Fast Five and jumped to the Bank Vault scene. Talk about an adrenaline, heart pounding experience. Again, just so much detail and when the cars and the vault pans from one speaker to the next, you cannot tell where the "handoff" is because it's such a smooth, effortless transition.

Another thing I'm really noticing is I turn up the volume to where I usually listen to and find myself having to turn it down. These seem to get very loud, very quick.

Many times I read that Reference = HT and Heritage = Music. I would like to state that I firmly believe these LaScalas sound fantastic for both music and for HT.

I'm now enjoying an entirely new experience in my HT. I wish you guys could all come over to hear what I'm hearing. I truly believe it's that good.

post #478 of 486 Old 05-17-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Great to hear your report! You have re energized me about my own room!

I've heard many theaters, and don't want to trade my LaScalas for anything.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #479 of 486 Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Tony. I know you have had your plate full lately. I don't get to spend as much time in the HT as I would like to but my kids use it quite often which still makes it worth the effort to me. Plus the times I do get to use it, I REALLY enjoy it.

post #480 of 486 Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I've spent several hours reading your entire thread. What a great room it's turned out to be. I'm glad you finally got your acoustic panels completed. I wish there were more HT enthusiasts in Auckland where I live so I could see and hear good set ups.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page