Stevens Home Theater - The Fun Begins - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 486 Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think you could easily manage a 115" diagonal. My room is close to your size. I'm going with a 128" 2.35 and will still have room to spare on the sides for masking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 486 Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

I think you could easily manage a 115" diagonal. My room is close to your size. I'm going with a 128" 2.35 and will still have room to spare on the sides for masking.

Thanks Jason. Can you take a look at this thread that I just posted? I added some additional details and am really thinking that I need to drop down to 103". I greatly appreciate your input and advice. Can you check out that thread and see if my logic is off?
post #33 of 486 Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just read that new post of yours. I'll throw another wrench into the equation for you.

The ideal placement for the left and right channels is actually at the ends of where a 1.78 image would reside, which would be even closer toward the center. That being said, it's definately a matter of personal taste. I would suggest pushing your speakers out to the side walls and see how they sound. If you like them better where they were, then by all means go with the smaller screen. In the grand scheme of things, you're only going to be able to tell if you had both screen side by side for comparison. Anything over 100" is still considered large
post #34 of 486 Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did move my speakers against the side walls and I did not like the sound near as much. I think I'd be better off with the 103" screen because of that. I just have to check with the cabinet guy to see if the cabinets can be that wide. Oh and thanks for the monkey wrench. That sure makes the situation easier. LOL.
post #35 of 486 Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today I received dimensions from the cabinet guy. He is going to have the bottom compartment on a "Full Extension Drawer Guide" to where I can move it out to get behind the A/V equipment that will reside in the bottom middle section of the entertainment center. I put some tape on the wall where the screen will be. Wow! That's a huge screen. LOL. I will have to play with the speakers to see how they sound within a 19 3/4" space next to the wall. How will the sound be effected being inside a cabinet? Will it only effect the bass since it is rear ported? Is this good or bad?

I could not tell from the fax how deep the cabinets are. I'm getting clarification on that.

post #36 of 486 Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are my Klipsch RF-83's that will go in the left and right sides of the entertainment center. They have three rear ports. I'm just not sure how they will sound inside a cabinet. If I go with the 110" wide screen, the cabinets will be 19 3/4" wide and my speakers are 9.25" wide but take up close to 16" wide when they are toed in towards the listening area. If I reduce the screen down to a 100" wide screen, that will give me 5.5" more width of a cabinet to place the main speakers in.

Decisions decisions...need some advice quick. I want to get moving with this cabinet and order my screen but I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

post #37 of 486 Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How close will the ports be to the back of the cabinet? I have RTI A9 speakers, only one port, and at one point I had them close to a cabinet/wall. They sounded much better when I pulled them away.

BTW, you got some excellent deals. Especially for the receiver.

Also, dont forget about acoustic treatments. Installing panels and bass traps really changed everything in my room for the better.
post #38 of 486 Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am still waiting to hear how deep the cabinet is.

I have been blessed with several good deals I have found on Craigslist. Panels will be incorporated into the room. Not sure how much I will do but right now, the room has quite an echo which will need to be addressed.
post #39 of 486 Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 AM

I would make the speaker "cabinets" open to the rear...and since you stated that many of the panels will be acoustically transparent, that should let the ports breathe..

Instead of going wall-to-wall with a giant cabinet, what about just making the cabinet a false wall?

No replacement for displacement...
post #40 of 486 Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am designing a website in exchange for the cabinets. He does all custom work but I'm not sure how the cabinets will be constructed. Thx for the suggestion but if the cabinet is going to be mounted flush with the wall, I don't think leaving the back portion off would make much difference.
post #41 of 486 Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered 103" Elite Cinema235 screen today! I'll post pics once I get it installed. I think this will allow me to have more freedom to make the speaker cabinets wider and still have a HUGE upgrade from my 32" CRT in the living room and an ENORMOUS upgrade from the 17" LCD Monitor I'm currently using in the theater room.
post #42 of 486 Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Today I received a phone call from a friend that is in Real Estate. They are selling all of the furniture in one of their model homes and they have a set of black theater seats (3 seater) that are like new since they were in the model home for a very cheap. I'm hoping to make it over there tomorrow to look at them and hopefully pick them up later this week.
post #43 of 486 Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I went and looked at the seats yesterday...wow, they are immaculate, not a scratch on them. I gave $600.00 for them. These are manual recline unlike my current seats that are electric but it will be better to not have all electric with 4 young children. My kids tend to want to get out of the chairs without putting the seat back in the upright position. Having manual ones will help reduce this risk of breaking them. They were going to deliver them to my house today since they were going to be in the area anyways but it has been raining all day. Figures. I'm hoping to begin building my risers for the back row in a few weeks.

I decided to go with the 103" Elite Cinema235 scope screen. Ordered it yesterday.

The cabinet guy is coming over Sunday to measure the room.

Slow progress...but it's progress.

Next week I plan on running the speaker wires, HDMI cable to the projector and install wall plugs.
post #44 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It quit raining yesterday long enough to go pick up the seats. I have placed them in the sitting room until I can build the riser in the theater room. They are not the exact model as my front row but for $600, I don't think I'll be that concerned.

post #45 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Those seats look awesome. I thought I got a deal on my Showtimes, but I think you have me beat at $600
post #46 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jason. I'm not much of a handyman but I am using the photos of your risers to give me a good idea of how to build it. I'm probably going to go with 2 x 10's instead of 2 x 12's. I'm keeping track of your build. It's looking awesome bro.
post #47 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

They have three rear ports. I'm just not sure how they will sound inside a cabinet

Not good, I'm afraid. Nice speakers but not at all suited for an in-cabinet installation.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #48 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any suggestions on what I could do? Would it be better to make a false wall and just get him to make me a custom cabinet for the bottom center area? Could we make the side walls open with grill cloth covering them instead of using wood?
post #49 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

You heard for yourself what happens when you put the speakers near a boundary (wall). How far did you need to pull them away from the walls for them to sound better?

The false wall is your better choice; but, again, you need to determine the best placement for those speakers before you build anything...or replace the speakers which I suspect is not on your "I wanna do" list.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #50 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

How far did you need to pull them away from the walls for them to sound better?

The false wall is your better choice; but, again, you need to determine the best placement for those speakers before you build anything...or replace the speakers which I suspect is not on your "I wanna do" list.

I liked it about 1 foot from the side walls and about the same from the rear wall. Replacing the RF-83's is not an option.
post #51 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Well, there's your answer ... cabinet plus false wall that will allow the speakers to be at least 1' from any boundary (including the cabinet).

You're facing a not uncommon problem. Not many realize speaker placement and the room has a greater impact on sound quality than the speakers themselves. So you end up with perfectly good equipment which is not suited for the application you have in mind and it ends up sounding poorly. You may need to do some soul searching and determine what's more important to you...sound quality, the model of speaker you have, or your use of a cabinet. Rather like putting rail car trucks on the family car.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #52 of 486 Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Thanks Jason. I'm not much of a handyman but I am using the photos of your risers to give me a good idea of how to build it. I'm probably going to go with 2 x 10's instead of 2 x 12's. I'm keeping track of your build. It's looking awesome bro.

Thanks for the comments and good luck with your riser
post #53 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I met with the cabinet guy the other day and he just emailed me these renderings. To be honest, I'm still not sure this will work out. I think it will effect the sound of the main speakers too much. The second rendering especially since the grill cloth does not cover the majority of the front area.

I know he wants to mount the screen flush with the front edge of the cabinets but I would prefer the screen to be mounted directly to my front wall so that the screen is recessed. At this point, I might just see if he can design me a nice cabinet to go below the screen to house the equipment and subs and forget about the side and top cabinets. Any thoughts or suggestions?
TheCrooner likes this.
post #54 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #55 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You may have mentioned this before, so I'm sorry if I missed it. Why don't you just do a screen wall? It looks like you're heading in that direction now with the cabinet maker, and a DIY choice would give you some more options.
post #56 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply.. What I meant was... If the wall-to-wall cabinet was to be, say 25" deep... instead, make it only 4" deep and mount it 20+" away from the wall, leaving you all that airspace back there for the speakers and subs to breathe through the AT panels.

What you'd have (looking at it from the back) would be a skeleton frame with a bunch of panels, and maybe just a cabinet under the screen for the equipment. Damn I wish I could draw to explain it.

From the front, it would look just like what you had in mind, but the only items blocking the sound is the framing itself, the screen, and the small cabinet for the equipment. The top 3 panels and the 2 large side panels, being AT, would have the speakers behind them, sitting on the floor, firing through the material.

No replacement for displacement...
post #57 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see what you guys are talking about. That was my thought too. I just do not know structurally how he has to design it to make that possible. I'm fine with not having a "back" on the cabinets. I already told him that I would want the sides of the main speaker cabinets to be transparent cloth instead of cabinet walls but to me, it doesn't look like he has that reflected in the drawings. Again, structurally, not sure how this has to be made. He might need a solid piece of wood there to help support the top cabinets. I'm designing his website in exchange for the cabinets so it's not costing me anything but my time.
post #58 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You would basically build a wall out in front of the existing wall, almost like a closet.
post #59 of 486 Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two more renderings he sent me tonight. I'm meeting my A/V friend tomorrow morning at Lowes to pick out can lights for the theater room. It will be great to finally have some lights in the theater room. Right now, I have a small desk lamp, that's it. It's pretty sad.

Two questions on the design below:

1. Should I mount the screen on the back wall (recessed look) or mount the screen flush with the front of the cabinet?

2. If the screen is mounted to the rear wall (which is what I am leaning towards), the side walls of the main cabinet area (left and right side) would still have a wooden wall that would effect the sound quality. Seems like the only way to have it away from the front wall is to mount the screen further up.

post #60 of 486 Old 12-19-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

You can always do a fabric barrier in place of the wood sides to the screen.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page