Got some more work done yesterday. I only had a few hours because I had promised my wife we would go out for date night. I have a friend in the A/V business that was helping me and he showed up at 2:30pm. Needless to say, we had to get busy.
We first cut our lengths for speaker wires and coax and taped them together with the 40' HDMI cable and the IR cable on one end. The coax he said was just extra in case I ever needed Component Video. Guess this would be good if I had a projector that did not have HDMI (which I won't). When cut a hole in the ceiling on the front right corner and pushed about 5 feet of these wires into the attic.
We then figured out where our speaker placement and where we wanted the speaker wires to come out of the walls that would be attached to wall plates. We drilled a diagonal hole through the wall for the side and back surrounds where the speaker wires needed to come out. We then stuck "glow rods" up through the drywall and into the attic. The "glow rods" were green flourescent flexible, yet stiff plastic rods that were about 3 - 4 feet in length. You can screw several together to make it as long as you need it. This was great for pulling wires. We stuck one glow rod through the drywall for each of the side surrounds, back surrounds and one through a hole we cut for the projector wires and mount.
Once in the attic, I climbed to about the center of the theater room. We had a long flexible rod with a small hook on the end that we used to reach and pull the cables from the corner of the room that we pushed up into the attic. This kept us from having to crawl on our belly into the corner where the trusses get very tight. We untaped the wires and fed the HDMI cable, IR remote and coax through the hole we cut for the projector. It was very easy to spot the glow rods sticking up through the insullation. We attached a speaker wire to each glow rod with electrical tape and fed it down the wall as far as we could from within the attic. Note to self: Do not pull the glow rod up into the attic too far. Once it enters the drywall, you can't get it back into the hole you cut in the wall unless you go back down and feed it back up through the original hole in the theater room. Luckily, I did it only once.
We headed back down from the attic and into the theater room. We pulled the glowrods down into the room with the speaker wire attached to it.
We measured and located studs and mounted the rear speaker brackets
that I bought from JR. These have 180 degree rotation and can be angled downwards 10 degrees. These are very sturdy mounts, nice build quality.
Jason, I took your advice and mounted them up higher and further apart. They were going to be too close together if I mounted them in "position 1" of my previous diagram. I think it will work out much better that way.
Last item on the agenda was putting the screen together. The elite screen was a "snap" (pun intended) to put together. Within minutes, we had it put together. To be honest, I pulled out the measuring tape cause I wanted to make sure it was 103" diagonal and it was. It just looked smaller than I imagined. After we got it put together, my wife came in and said it was smaller than she thought it was going to be. I began to question whether I had made a mistake on the size. It's super wide at 8', just isn't very tall (under 4'). Jimmy said I was pretty much committed at this point. I figure, it's gotta be better than my current 32" CRT and my son's 17" LCD that we've been using to play the PS3 and Wii on.
I'm very pleased with the look and build of the screen. Velvet is very nice and I didn't realize the aluminum frame was going to be beveled on the inside. Bonus!
Back side closeup of the screen.
As soon as I'm finished typing, I'm going to tidy up the room and head to Lowes to pick up the material for the rear risers. Hoping to finish them this weekend. I have no idea how to do install the carpet though. That should be fun. Probably will be asking many questions. I'm using the photos of MN_hookie's risers as a basis for how to build them. Looks like it is pretty straight forward. Don't think I will install lights on the steps though. Gonna keep it simple.