Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 486 Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great look! You've got to be excited. Wanted to ask one question, what type of paint (Flat, Eggshell, Satin) are you using on the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 486 Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hopefully the design of that website is dragging as well

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 486 Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytobehere200 View Post

Great look! You've got to be excited. Wanted to ask one question, what type of paint (Flat, Eggshell, Satin) are you using on the wall?

Yes, I am very pleased how the whole room is turning out. The ceiling was painted flat black, the walls were painted with I believe a semi-gloss. The walls have the orange peel texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Hopefully the design of that website is dragging as well

Well, I had the website designed and coded in a week, maybe two. It's been sitting with no content on the pages because he has not sent me any info. He emailed me about 9 photos which I have added to his portfolio page but the rest of the pages have some latin placeholder text, that's it. I haven't coded the shopping cart until he emails me info about the products he wants to sell. No sense going through all that work if he may not ever get around to sending it to me. I've told him several times that the single thing that slows the progress of the website down is me waiting on content. I have one lady that paid me a deposit well over a year ago. She has yet to send me content for her site. I just don't get people like that.

post #184 of 486 Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last night my wife mentioned that it would look fine to have the cabinets the way they are, without adding the side panels for the main speakers. Part of me agrees, especially because it gives me greater flexibility to position them. I believe I will have to scoot them back some towards the wall in order to fit them behind the panels. What do you think? Panels or no panels for the main speakers?

post #185 of 486 Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Try to visualize this...Tonight my 10yr old son and I got a little brave and decided to mount the RC-64 in the top part of the cabinet above the screen. The room is 10' high and the cabinets stretch from the floor to the ceiling. I currently do not own a ladder so I brought in our bar stools. Jacob and I stood on the barstools and I hoisted him into the cabinet from the open sides to unscrew the two screws that are temporarily holding the top center panel cover in place. Once removed, I moved 4 barstools in front of the cabinets. Jacob said he was nervous about having to pick up a 62 lb speaker. I told him "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't have put you up there. I trust you son." What a cool teachable moment for my son to hear his Dad say I trust you with a $600 speaker and I have confidence that you can help Dad move this speaker without damaging it.

I placed a towel inside the cabinet for the RC-64 to lay on since the cabinet is made of wood and would scratch the bottom of the speaker. I placed a pillow on two barstools and laid the RC-64 on the pillow. Standing on the other two barstools, I lifted the RC-64 and gently slid it into place in the upper cabinet. My son helped me to gently guide and slide it into position. Once positioned, I had him hook up the speaker and I lifted the rear of the speaker while he screwed in the angle adjustment. Jacob did an amazing job. He was nervous about being inside the cabinet and being that high off the ground but he trusted his dad because he knew that I wouldn't put him in a situation where he could get hurt.

To my surprise, the angle was almost dead on with my primary listening position. I really didn't think it was going to be enough angle but it was. My wife was in bed so we didn't get to test it out very much until she came in and asked to turn it down. I'm really hoping it isn't too distracting with the center being above the screen. Probably no one will notice, but I notice because I know where it's there. We'll see if it is distracting once I get a chance to play a movie at a good volume.

Now that I see how the cabinet was made, it would have been PERFECT to have an acoustic transparent screen and have mounted the RC-64 directly behind the screen. Arggg. Too late now. LOL.

When I ran the YPAO in the yamaha, it said not to use Back Surrounds if I did not have Side Surrounds (since I currently have a 5.1 setup) so I switched the RB-35's to the "Surrounds" and wow, what a diffference. To be honest, after mounting them, I totally was not satisfied with the surround effects. I felt I was not really hearing them. Granted, when I turned them off, I did notice them not being there and I realize surround speakers should not bring attention to themselves but I really wasn't hearing much from them during big surround scenes.

In the short, semi-loud scene we watched, I totally heard a difference. Guess it helps when you have the speakers connected to the correct terminals on the receiver.

Here's a shot of the speaker in place.

post #186 of 486 Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

John. Had a positive experience with my son too. Had to have a small hand reach into a hole in the drywall. Scarey for a 9 year old but he did it and felt very proud. Then sat and talk to me as I stripped wires. My kids love the room.

Not sure if I understand the question on the side panels, can you explain your question.

Lastly, where are you going to put the subs? Is it in the cabinet on the bottom right and left? You might want to think about that a bit, you don't want the cabinet to vibrate the screen. That may also be an issue with the centers location given the screen, cabinet and center are all connected via the cabinet. Don't want to rain on your parade but something you should check out.

On a final note, was in your area last week - in Bartow visitin parents - but did not get to Plant City to have any short cake like we usually do. I was really bummeda bout that because it is sooooo good, even if it's not good for you....
post #187 of 486 Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

John. Had a positive experience with my son too. Had to have a small hand reach into a hole in the drywall. Scarey for a 9 year old but he did it and felt very proud. Then sat and talk to me as I stripped wires. My kids love the room.

Kids are awesome. Those are fun times together.

Quote:

Not sure if I understand the question on the side panels, can you explain your question.

If you look at the pics below, there are no sides on the cabinet. They are totally open. He is going to come back and add another panel that will angle towards the listening area to match the angle of my speakers. This will conceal the front speakers.

Quote:

Lastly, where are you going to put the subs? Is it in the cabinet on the bottom right and left? You might want to think about that a bit, you don't want the cabinet to vibrate the screen. That may also be an issue with the centers location given the screen, cabinet and center are all connected via the cabinet. Don't want to rain on your parade but something you should check out.

This isn't an issue. I only have one sub (Velodyne HGS15) and it is located behind the bottom left panel. Currently there is only a bottom shelf on the middle section, not on the bottom left and bottom right sections so the sub is sitting on the floor. Therefore it is not "connected" to the cabinets and do not vibrate the screen. The cabinet is very sturdy and does not seem to be effected by the SPL's in the room.

Quote:

On a final note, was in your area last week - in Bartow visitin parents - but did not get to Plant City to have any short cake like we usually do. I was really bummeda bout that because it is sooooo good, even if it's not good for you....

Yes, Bartow is very close to us, I'm not far off Hwy 60. If you ever want to stop by, you are more than welcome.

post #188 of 486 Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ahhh, now I get it.

OK, so one persons viewpoint, I'd still put up the panels.

Not because I don't like seeing speakers, I do, but given the overall look of the cabinet and the fact the other speakers will be hidden I'd go with the all hidden look. It will be a much more clean finished look.

Plus you can hide any wire mess you may have or you can do some bass traps in the corners behind the speakers (BTW, you also may want to put some Linaccoustic behind your screen, if you weren't already thinking of it).

And finally, this may be just something that I'm more sensitive to, it will help kill any stray light that may reflect from screen to the side walls. Black GOM covered panels will kill a great deal of it.

Again, just one person's thought.
post #189 of 486 Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, so one persons viewpoint, I'd still put up the panels.

And finally, this may be just something that I'm more sensitive to, it will help kill any stray light that may reflect from screen to the side walls. Black GOM covered panels will kill a great deal of it.

Again, just one person's thought.

Totally appreciate the thoughts. That's how I have gotten to where I'm at now with the theater is by soliciting other's feedback and suggestions. I do plan on adding panels to the walls since there is definitely a significant echo in the room (clap test).

I'll have to check into the Linaccoustic, never heard of it before.

post #190 of 486 Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Check out the accoustic panel threads or I can point you two some other stuff. I'll provide a couple links. Here's the poor/uneducated mans view. You need a strategy to deal with the Highs and the Lows. When it comes to the lows you can read tons of stuff on it and it's tougher to deal with but if with your layout you can build some nice corner bass traps in the front that will give you a good start. If you can get the material it will be easy to add to your config.

Here is a link that will give you a visual idea (I can point you to some other build threads if you are interested).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=show

As for the highs, with horn loaded tweeters you will have to deal with it. Rugs, etc will help and panels on the wall can help. Don't kill the room (ie make it dead) or you will lose the open ambience. But the other thing you have to deal with is the screen and the wall behind it since they are both large, flat and highly reflective surfaces.

When people mount their screens on a frame on a wall they put Linnacoustic material behind the screen to help. It's 1" thick and mounts pretty easily with glue. You could glue yours to the wall behind the cabinet. Most people will stuff the rest of the area with highly dense insulation. Most insulation that is also used for accoustic purposes are rated as to what frequency they will "cut/reduce". You can find it in the online data sheets on the products.

Here is a link to pictures of screen walls. Check out BritinVA on page 1, I an also provide some pictures of how put put the dense material in if you are interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=show

There are a couple of guys on here that sell the material and very good prices. If you need leads to those folks I can provide that too.
post #191 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hope you haven't given up?
post #192 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hope you haven't given up?

Oh no, just haven't had much to post. Still waiting on the cabinets to be finished. What a nightmare it has been. They are supposed to come sometime this week to finish them (I've heard that before). We'll see. Once they are finished, I'll post new pics, then will begin working on acoustics. Thx again for the advice.

post #193 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

NP. I understand the waiting game. We had our basement redone and it tood longer to have that finished then it did to build our first house and many times the hassel. But it looks great so, much like a woman giving birth, you'll forget it afterwards and just enjoy the product.
post #194 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

But it looks great so, much like a woman giving birth, you'll forget it afterwards and just enjoy the product.

That was great. I've never heard it quite put that way but you are right. The cabinets look wonderful, the amount of time it is taken to get them finished is what is frustrating.

I sent an email to the guy saying, "I would also ask that the entertainment
center for my theater room completed before we go live with the site. I think that is fair."

Somehow, he took that as a threat. I made this statement really as an encouragement to him to get with it and finish my cabinets. The quicker he finished them, the quicker I would have his site ready. Since there is no money exchange, it is only fair that I upload the website when he finishes the cabinets. As I told him, I have been more than patient. 4 months to have an entertainment center be built is a little extreme. If he would have told me from the beginning it would take that long, fine. The problem is that on several occasions, he had stated he would be over to install them and each time, something came up. He has now turned the entire project over to one of his employees to finish it. Oh the drama. I'm just ready for them to be finished and I can move beyond this. Was it worth it, I believe so...but not without a bunch of headaches. He has done a great job with the cabinets, much better than I could have done. Just wish it would have happened faster.

post #195 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Seems to be the way they all work in the construction industry. My brother-in-law is an electricain and he even does it to family. Good luck...
post #196 of 486 Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They showed up on Saturday to install the side panels. They had planned on permanently installing them but I explained to them that I really needed to be able to have access to the speakers. I asked if we could attach the side panels to the main cabinet with hinges so that it could be opened up like a door to gain access to the main speakers. This would allow me to easily have access to them. The side panels shown below are not installed yet, just leaning against the cabinet to show what it will look like.

As you can see, the bottom three panels under the screen are held in place with velcro. This is temporary since they totally don't work. He is going to use magnets to hold them into place. We'll see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I'll install hinges on the panels.

post #197 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh Man, this looks GREAT!!!!! If you do hinges my only thought is to watch that they do not rattle. I don't have any experience either way but that would be my concern otherwise this looks great. Wow, bet you are excited!!!
post #198 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Your cabinet looks very nice!

John

post #199 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh Man, this looks GREAT!!!!! If you do hinges my only thought is to watch that they do not rattle. I don't have any experience either way but that would be my concern otherwise this looks great. Wow, bet you are excited!!!

Thanks Happy. I don't think the hinges will rattle but I could be wrong. Once installed, if they do, I can probably put some type of material between it and the wood.

Thanks John, I posted a few questions on your thread regarding the zoom memory for the Panny but just looked back in my own thread and you have already answered these questions. Unfortunately, I can't bring my projector any further downwards. Looks like I'll have to either angle it downwards and adjust with keystone or have to manually use the lens shift when switching from 16:9 to 2.35 material. Sadly enough, that was the main reason why I went with the panny.

post #200 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here's an idea I saw recently that looked very cool that you might want to see if you can figure in. I think it would work in your set up too. I thought of it because this person also had panels like yours and I think all he did was Velcro them up. No hinges just the pressure of the panels and the velco but the cooler thing was the lighting. Take a look

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3614/...7b3aa148_b.jpg
post #201 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I've thought about adding lighting later on so that you could easily see the speakers but when it's movie time, they would dim. I would need to upgrade my lighting switch. Currently I'm using a Lutron Maestro but it only has one scene you can preset.

My velcro isn't working at all, that's why we're having to use something else.

post #202 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

So I had a lot of problem with Velco. It holds to itself better than the sticky backing holds to the materail. What I ended up using was glue on the material and the sticky backing to the velcro. It's the same stuff from 3M that you can get in a spray. It comes in small bottles and quart cans. The small bottle will probably be enough for you. YOu get it at HD. Put some on the material and then on the sticky back of the velcro. You need to put it on both sides and let it dry - I think it says 10 minutes - until it is tacky. Then press it on and hold it. After that it will stay on the material like you won't believe. It's not a hard cememt it is a very gummy substance.

Also, don't use a lot of velcro, don't use the real wide stuff Just enough to hold it up. I found the velcro to velcro is very strong. YOu just need to get it to hold on the back/sticky side.

I used it to hold up accoustical panels that I may need to take down to get access to the wall behind them.

The other idea for lighting is to maybe look at some time of remote, in line dimmer/control. Something from the X10 site might work and might have IR controls you could program.

Here's a link - http://www.x10wirelesshome.com/#acc6 2 Socket Rockets might work. The www.remotecentral.com to see if you can get the IR controls to control them. Then your programable remote would handle it all.

The lighting is a very cool look.
post #203 of 486 Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. The velcro came unstuck from the cabinet. One problem that I see with the velcro is that I have three cabinets. Each time I open one, I will have to align it with the others or it will drive me crazy (minor OCD issues). LOL. The idea is to drill into the cabinet enough for the round magnets to fit and use adhesive to keep them stuck to the cabinet. They are coming out Thursday morning to finish the cabinets.

I received a call from the owner of a local High End Audio/Video installer. He has a customer that is flying in this weekend for a week and is considering the Panasonic AE3000 but she has not been able to find a dealer that has it for demo. The owner asked if I would mind having them over for a demo. Works for me. I told him I haven't really calibrated the video other than with the Avia II disk and he said he has some computer software that I can borrow. I'm going to call him tomorrow to see if I can borrow it before they come over for the demo.

Apparently she has a 120" screen in 16:9 format. I figure I'll show her some of the Planet Earth since it has remarkable video quality in 16:9 format.

post #204 of 486 Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Very cool. That should be fun. I was just at my first GTG last weekend. More speaker focused. Meeting people who are into this can be a lot of fun - after you get past the awkwardness of new introductions. My wife still doesn't get it and I see her point but when I told her that the wife of the guy having the GTG was very into meeting everyone and putting on a nice party, and that they were very very very normal people, I think she was getting more comfortable. Let me know how it goes and keep sharing the pictures.
post #205 of 486 Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My wife doesn't get it either. She is just fine with the two dinky speakers in the old 32" CRT TV as opposed to the Klipsch speakers in the theater room. LOL. Go figure.

What is "GTG"? Get ToGether?

post #206 of 486 Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, Get-to-gether. Here is a link to the events thread. Has some good pics.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1136364&page=4
post #207 of 486 Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Gotcha. Thx for the link. None near Tampa, FL yet. I'll keep watching. Maybe when I get finished, I might host one. Might be fun.

post #208 of 486 Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

I believe I will need to lower the mount about 6" and raise the screen about 6". That is about the max I would want to adjust either one of them but I'm not sure this will be enough to allow me to change from 16:9 to 2.35:1 using the zoom memory feature without having to also manually adjusting the lens shift. This is not cool...that defeats the whole point of going with the AE3000u for the zoom memory.

If I bring the projector down another 6" which would place the lens at 22" from the ceiling to the lens. The problem lies in the fact that in order to lengthen the pole, you have to use all three poles. The top and bottom pole is small in diameter and the middle pole is larger so that the top and bottom can slide into it.

Any suggestions?

You can cut the top pole section. If you cut it so that it's 1/3 and 2/3 (4" and 8" roughly), then you have two different shorter lengths to play with.

Not sure it will solve your zoom issue, but at least you can set the mounting height more to your desires.

Roger

post #209 of 486 Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

So????? What's been happening?
post #210 of 486 Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay in updates. It's been a crazy few weeks.

I had a couple come over to check out the Panasonic AE3000u. They seemed to really like it and were pleased very much with the picture quality it provided. It was fun having them over.

Last week, I found a pair of Klipsch RF-3II's and a RC3II center channel for a friend who lives in Alabama (same guy that came down to help me build my risers). We picked them up for $375 which was a great deal. I had them hooked up in the theater room when he arrived. He currently has sony and KLH speakers. Needless to say, he was blown away and thoroughly pleased. His wife brought in some of her CD's that she was familiar with and even she said she was hearing details she had never heard before. We checked out some movie demos as well and the RF-3's sounded very nice. He is going to be very pleased with them for his HT.

While he was down, we found Satin Nickel Surface Mount Euro Hinges that will work for the cabinet doors. The hinges have a very tight spring in them. We decided to remove the spring from the hinges since the frame of the door is somewhat flimsy. By removing the spring, we needed to somehow keep the door closed and I didn't want to use velcro so we found some simple clamps that hold it nice and snug to the cabinet.

We only had time to mount the bottom center door but that is where the A/V equipment is and is the one I use the most. I'll hopefully get the other two doors mounted this weekend. It's great to have it open like a regular cabinet door instead of having to remove the panel, place it to the side, and remount it once I'm finished. Even if I were to add more velcro to make it stick better, it just doesn't function like a regular cabinet door should.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page