Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 485 Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Link to Youthman's HT 2.0 Build Thread

My wife and I just purchased a new construction home with a 13' W x 19' 4" L x 10' H Theater Room. I have been researching and dreaming of building a HT for over a year now.

Here is the equipment I have so far.
Klipsch RF-83 Front
Klipsch RC-7 Center
Velodyne F1500 Sub
Onkyo TX-SR703 7.1 Receiver

The main things I still need are a 1080p projector, screen, 200x5 amp, Klipsch RS-62 Rears, Blu-Ray player or PS3, Universal Remote, Lighting and Seating. Most of the equipment will likely be placed in the linen closet just outside the HT.

We just finished painting the ceiling black and the walls are painted a dark red (swatch is called Spanish Tile). Going to apply a 2nd coat on the walls on Monday.

I have drawn up two diagrams (shown below) that are to scale to help me in the design stage. I drew the top layout awhile back and at that time I drew it with a 110" screen. Ignore the sweet spot info. That will likely change somewhat. In the top view, the right rear has a large sliding glass door (where the broken wall is) that will be covered with thick curtains that have already been purchased.

The Front image shows a 120" screen which is what I'm leaning towards. I'm currently looking at getting a Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector.

Please don't think I'm a nerd (ok...maybe I am) but I actually busted out my old Trigonometry math using this online calculator. LOL. If I have my first row at 13' from the front wall, using a 120" screen (which is 5' tall), the horizontal viewing angle from my eyes to the top of the screen is 21 degrees if the bottom of the screen was at eye level. This THX Diagram suggests that the angle should be 15 degrees or less. In order to achieve 15 degrees or less, I would need to lower the screen so that the bottom of the screen is below eye level. I lowered the screen just to the top of the center channel speaker to get it as low as I could. I did not redo the math to see if it would then be less than 15 degrees. Should be close enough. Told ya I was a nerd. The AV rack in the front is not necessarily what I'm going to use. I just pulled it off the net to give me an idea of what it would look like with an AV rack up front. Ha! I just realized I didn't add my Velodyne sub in the image. Oops. It should fit between the front speaker and the AV Rack.

Any thoughts on my plan so far? Is there anything that I'm off on at this point?

Front View

Top View

7.1 Dedicated Home Theater
Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV
Audio: Harman Kardon AVR 3600 with Sherbourn 72100A...

Last edited by youthman; 06-25-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Nice list of equipment. Just a left jab to get your attention......a couple of gallons of dark paint does not turn a room into a theater.

Acoustical treatments, Stage, False front wall, Riser, Sconces, Molding, step lights, Reclining theater seats, remote control lighting, Equipment rack, Inwall/ceiling wiring. Get out your check book.

Some feedback, you've got enough room for two rows of seating, Not sure why you wouldn't do 7:1 sound.
post #3 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Nice list of equipment. Just a right jab to get your attention......a couple of gallons of dark paint does not turn a room into a theater.

Acoustical treatments, Stage, False front wall, Riser, Sconces, Molding, step lights, Reclining theater seats, remote control lighting, Equipment rack, Inwall/ceiling wiring. Get out your check book.

Some feedback, you've got enough room for two rows of seating, Not sure why you wouldn't do 7:1 sound.

Well...what BMDC says is not wrong, and he has a beautiful room that includes all of those things he mentioned (and more...truly one of the nicest rooms on the forum; my wife is convinced he must have Photoshopped it...lol), but I would try to encourage you by saying I think you can have a suitable HT that includes some of those things, and then you can work on the rest.

I too was curious why you listed a 5x200 amp? Surely, since you intend to go BD with the PS3, you'll want 7.1 audio.

Good luck,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you considered 2.35:1?
post #5 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Ditto

Also consider the new Panasonic with the memory based zoom and image shift poor mans CIH system. It's something getting a lot of attention. If your viewing includes a large % of movies looking into the 2:35 screen and the Panny 3000 is a real opportunity.
post #6 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

a couple of gallons of dark paint does not turn a room into a theater.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:

The room will have acoustic panels, not sure about a stage or false front wall, it will have one riser, sconces not sure I can do due to window on left wall and sliding doors on right wall, not sure how to make them symetrical unless I mount them very above them which would be too high.

Quote:

you've got enough room for two rows of seating, Not sure why you wouldn't do 7:1 sound.

Yes, I will have two rows of 3 or 4 seating. I will wire for 7.1 but there just isn't much out there in true 7.1 yet. BTW, I looked at your setup...WOW! Absolutely beautiful theater room. Much more budget than I have to work with.

Quote:

I too was curious why you listed a 5x200 amp? Surely, since you intend to go BD with the PS3, you'll want 7.1 audio.

5 x 200 will start me off. Then when 7.1 takes off, I can add two speakers and a 2 channel amp to make it into a 7.1 system. Dumb question...what is "BD with the PS3"? Did you mean BR (Blu-Ray)?

Quote:

Have you considered 2.35:1?

Yes, just more than my budget will allow at this time.
Quote:

If your viewing includes a large % of movies looking into the 2:35 screen and the Panny 3000 is a real opportunity.

It will be a good mix of concert DVD's and Movies. 2:35 would be cool, but again, trying to keep my HT at a reasonable cost. I know there is always something bigger and better out there and I'm not out to impress anyone but me.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Definitely a lot to think about as I begin this new adventure.

Speakers: (3) Klipsch LaScalas for LCR, RS-62ii Side Surrounds, RS-62ii Back Surrounds & RSW-15 Sub (Maple)

Video: Panasonic AE3000u Projector with 103" Elite Cinescope (2.35:1) Screen, PS3 (80 gig) for Blu-ray, AppleTV

post #7 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post

Yes, I will have two rows of 3 or 4 seating. I will wire for 7.1 but there just isn't much out there in true 7.1 yet.

5 x 200 will start me off. Then when 7.1 takes off, I can add two speakers and a 2 channel amp to make it into a 7.1 system. Dumb question...what is "BD with the PS3"? Did you mean BR (Blu-Ray)?

With the right receiver, everything is in 7.1. There's absolutely no reason not to start off with 7.1.

BD = BluRay Disc

Quote:

It will be a good mix of concert DVD's and Movies. 2:35 would be cool, but again, trying to keep my HT at a reasonable cost. I know there is always something bigger and better out there and I'm not out to impress anyone but me.

2.35:1 shouldn't cost anything more now that the Panny 3000 is out (forget about the 2000, that's old). Get the Panny for $2500 and buy (or make) a scope screen.

Quote:

Definitely a lot to think about as I begin this new adventure.

Lastly, you don't want the bottom of the screen at eye level. You want eye level to be 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the screen. IOW, lower your screen.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #8 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
BD = BluRay Disc

Gotcha, thx.

Quote:
2.35:1 shouldn't cost anything more now that the Panny 3000 is out

Wow, I was just reading up on it. That's sweet and it's only $100 - $200 more than the AE2000 model. Thx for the head's up.
Quote:
Lastly, you don't want the bottom of the screen at eye level. You want eye level to be 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the screen. IOW, lower your screen.

I don't believe it is at eye level. If you look at my diagram, it is 2.5 feet off the ground. Unless I'm sitting on the floor, the bottom of the screen will be lower than eye level.

post #9 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Gotcha, thx.

Wow, I was just reading up on it. That's sweet and it's only $100 - $200 more than the AE2000 model. Thx for the head's up.

I don't believe it is at eye level. If you look at my diagram, it is 2.5 feet off the ground. Unless I'm sitting on the floor, the bottom of the screen will be lower than eye level.

Yes, considering the price difference, the Panny 3000 is a no-brainer over the2000 right now. You can get a 2.35 screen for roughly what you're be getting a 1.78 for, so it's definately something to consider.

Wish I had the room for RS-62s I'm still thinking 42's might be too big for my application.
post #10 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wish I had the room for RS-62s I'm still thinking 42's might be too big for my application.

You've got a great setup Jason. So when are you gonna pull the trigger on the AE3000? The left window and the sliding glass door are going to make it a challenge for any side surrounds. Looks like I'm going to have to mount them on the back side of the sliding glass doors which puts the rears pretty close to the back wall. This might be good...I dunno.

Left Wall Diagram showing window

Right Wall Diagram showing sliding glass door

Both Walls overlayed on top of each other.

post #11 of 485 Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I was just going by your original post.

Quote:

In order to achieve 15 degrees or less, I would need to lower the screen so that the bottom of the screen is below eye level. I lowered the screen just to the top of the center channel speaker to get it as low as I could.

And stating that the bottom of the screen below eye level is exactly what you want.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #12 of 485 Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No problem Stew.

post #13 of 485 Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:

My wife and I just purchased a new construction home with a 13' W x 19' 4" L x 10' H Theater Room. I have been researching and dreaming of building a HT for over a year now.

Klipsch RF-83 Front
Klipsch RC-7 Center
Velodyne F1500 Sub

The main things I still need are a 1080p projector, screen, 200x5 amp, Klipsch RS-62 Rears, Blu-Ray player or PS3, Universal Remote, Lighting and Seating. Most of the equipment will likely be placed in the linen closet just outside the HT.

As for an amp recommendation, I run the Rotel RMB-1095 and absolutely love it. I instantly noticed a difference in my sound when I switched from using my Denon 3805 as a reciever to using it as a preprocessor feeding the amp.

Later on, you can add a Rotel RB-1080 for an additional two channels for 7.1, or even run the additional two channels off of the receiver until you add the second amp.

post #14 of 485 Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 View Post

As for an amp recommendation, I run the Rotel RMB-1095 and absolutely love it. I instantly noticed a difference in my sound when I switched from using my Denon 3805 as a reciever to using it as a preprocessor feeding the amp.

Later on, you can add a Rotel RB-1080 for an additional two channels for 7.1, or even run the additional two channels off of the receiver until you add the second amp.

Yeah, I'd put Rotel, Parasound, and B&K all in the best "bang-for-the-buck" category. Are you just using the Onkyo as your Pre/Pro for now?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #15 of 485 Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've got a great setup Jason. So when are you gonna pull the trigger on the AE3000? The left window and the sliding glass door are going to make it a challenge for any side surrounds. Looks like I'm going to have to mount them on the back side of the sliding glass doors which puts the rears pretty close to the back wall. This might be good...I dunno.

Left Wall Diagram showing window

Right Wall Diagram showing sliding glass door

Both Walls overlayed on top of each other.

Thanks for the comments. I'll most likely be getting the projector before the end of the year. We're just waiting on a few more things to fall into place, but hopefully soon
post #16 of 485 Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you just using the Onkyo as your Pre/Pro for now?

Yes, the Onkyo is all I have at the moment. To be honest, I do not care for it that much for 2 channel but for HT, it is great. Heard a lot of people enjoy the Denon, might look at it. Definitely want to have at least a multi-channel amp, even if I have to use a receiver as my pre/pro. Lot of guys in the Klipsch forums do not feel that the Rotel pairs well with Klipsch speakers. I've even considered using an Emotiva amp. Still not sure yet.

post #17 of 485 Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Klipsch RF-83 Front
Klipsch RC-7 Center
Velodyne F1500 Sub

We just finished painting the ceiling black and the walls are painted a dark red (swatch is called Spanish Tile). Going to apply a 2nd coat on the walls on Monday.

I have drawn up two diagrams (shown below) that are to scale to help me in the design stage. I drew the top layout awhile back and at that time I drew it with a 110" screen. Ignore the sweet spot info. That will likely change somewhat. In the top view, the right rear has a large sliding glass door (where the broken wall is) that will be covered with thick curtains that have already been purchased.

The Front image shows a 120" screen which is what I'm leaning towards. I'm currently looking at getting a Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector.

Please don't think I'm a nerd (ok...maybe I am) but I actually busted out my old Trigonometry math using this online calculator. LOL. If I have my first row at 13' from the front wall, using a 120" screen (which is 5' tall), the horizontal viewing angle from my eyes to the top of the screen is 21 degrees if the bottom of the screen was at eye level. This THX Diagram suggests that the angle should be 15 degrees or less. In order to achieve 15 degrees or less, I would need to lower the screen so that the bottom of the screen is below eye level. I lowered the screen just to the top of the center channel speaker to get it as low as I could. I did not redo the math to see if it would then be less than 15 degrees. Should be close enough. Told ya I was a nerd. The AV rack in the front is not necessarily what I'm going to use. I just pulled it off the net to give me an idea of what it would look like with an AV rack up front. Ha! I just realized I didn't add my Velodyne sub in the image. Oops. It should fit between the front speaker and the AV Rack.

Any thoughts on my plan so far? Is there anything that I'm off on at this point?

The room that I just started working on is close to yours in size.
21' 7" L x 13' 10" W x 8' 6" H

My speakers are also Klipsch.

Mains: RF-83
Center: RC-64
Sides: RS-62
Rears: RS-62
Subwoofers: Duel Epik Conquests

I am currently using a Parasound C2/B&K Reference 200.7
I have an Integra DHC-9.9 still in the box that I will be using in the new room.

I purchased the speakers before I decided to switch rooms. Wouldn't one need a fairly deep false front wall to utilize the RF-83 with it's rear-firing ports? I was thinking about switching to front ported KL-650-THX LCR across the front.

John
post #18 of 485 Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wouldn't one need a fairly deep false front wall to utilize the RF-83 with it's rear-firing ports?

Hope not. I bought the speakers before I bought the house and I really have no desire to get rid of them. LOL.

post #19 of 485 Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Room Update:

Room is finished being painted. Ceiling is black, walls turned out a georgeous deep red.

Last week, I picked up a fantastic deal on Craigslist. A pristine condition, 6 month old Yamaha RX-V1800 Receiver, three Blu-ray disks (Planet Earth, Pirates, and Ocean's Thirteen and 3 HDMI cables for $428.00! Wow, what a sweet receiver! 4 HDMI inputs, support for the new audio formats, sensational at both HT and 2ch. I absolutely love it!

This morning, I bought a mint 3 seat theater seating...another great find on Craigslist. They are black with the aluminum cupholders and electric recliners. They are two years old, guy had them in his second home so they barely got used. He paid around $2300 for them. I picked them up for $750.00. Oh so comfy...now I just need 3 more to match it.

Next on the list is to either purchase or build a 110" fixed screen. I have the speakers laid out and they are exactly 8' apart which is the width of a 110" screen. So 120" is definitely too large for my room.

post #20 of 485 Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

It's always nice when you stumble across a bargain. That's a steal on both the receiver and the seats. Hell, Planet Earth isn't a cheap DVD either
post #21 of 485 Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, he said he paid $75.00 for the Planet Earth DVD. There is no doubt I found two great deals.

post #22 of 485 Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I picked up a 2 month old like new condition PS3 with 10 Blu-ray DVD's and a 40' HDMI cable in the Klipsch forums for $450.00. It loads disks very fast and has an incredible picture and sound is amazing! I haven't had time to fully check it out but so far, I love it!

post #23 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last week, I picked up my rear speakers, a pair of Klipsch RB-35's in mint condition at a great price. Have not installed them yet. Once I get some batteries for my digital camera, I'll take some pics of them.

I was planning on waiting until Feb to use our income tax refund to purchase the Panasonic AE-3000u projector and a 115" Elite screen in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. My wife thinks we ought to get it before Christmas and use the income tax money to return the money we borrow from savings to get the projector.

post #24 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last week, I picked up my rear speakers, a pair of Klipsch RB-35's in mint condition at a great price. Have not installed them yet. Once I get some batteries for my digital camera, I'll take some pics of them.

I was planning on waiting until Feb to use our income tax refund to purchase the Panasonic AE-3000u projector and a 115" Elite screen in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. My wife thinks we ought to get it before Christmas and use the income tax money to return the money we borrow from savings to get the projector.

There's the reason you married her!

CD

post #25 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

There's the reason you married her!

CD

Yes, one of the many reasons.

post #26 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, one of the many reasons.

Like my favorite Mitch Fatel line: every now and then, you meet a girl and [doggy-style] is her favorite position too...and then that's your wife!

CD

post #27 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On Monday, I will be ordering my screen. I'm considering purchasing a 115" Elite Fixed Screen in 2.35 aspect ratio. Hoping to order the Panasonic AE-3000u before Christmas.

post #28 of 485 Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have a guy building me a custom cabinet to go in the front of the room. To keep the cost down, each section will have removable panels with mesh screen instead of wooden doors. Here are the renderings.

post #29 of 485 Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On Monday, I will be ordering my screen. I'm considering purchasing a 115" Elite Fixed Screen in 2.35 aspect ratio. Hoping to order the Panasonic AE-3000u before Christmas.

nice to see you're considering going w/ a scope screen (115" wide or diagonal?)
post #30 of 485 Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

nice to see you're considering going w/ a scope screen (115" wide or diagonal?)

Beyond considering...I'm going for it. Just trying to figure out which one I want and need. 115" is the diagonal. Viewing measures 45" high x 106" wide. Do you think that will work for my setup?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page