My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated KICK *** Home Theater! <<The Sequel>> - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 362 Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, really nice job on the theater! I really like the idea of using the foam moulding and figured you would know a lot more about it than i would. I haven't used it before so I'm curious on if you think this would work.

Here is what I'm looking to do more or less throughout the main level of the house and maybe the bedroom.

sort of like this:
punchlistcarpentry.com/new-Special_clip_image008.jpg

Instead of the yellow glow it would be clean neon white and i would put about 3 or 4 inches between the crown moulding and the top corner, not an inch like they did in the picture above. Here is the neon lighting that I'm going with... a LED pearl white light rope.
wont let me post link... google image search 'pearl white led rope light' for what I'm looking at.

I think with LEDs being cool burning creating no heat, and using about 10% of the power of traditional incandescent bulbs it could really be something cool and might pay for itself in the long run.
I can use a traditional Leutron dimmer switch to control the brightness of it too.

I'm wondering if it would work well with the styrofoam crown moulding like they sell on the net... AVS wont let me post links but there were some good ones posted at the beginning of this thread

I'm thinking it would be perfect if I mounted the Neon white LED rope with the plastic clips first, and got the dimmer switch working (hopefully the remote control Leutron dimmer will work) then I could just liquid nails up the painted crown moulding and have a really sweet effect that would cut down on our energy consumption.

I'd like to know if anyone has done anything similar to this using the foam molding (pics please!?), or hear if anyone has any things to think about when I start working on this.

Thanks!
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 362 Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojacked View Post

First of all, really nice job on the theater! I really like the idea of using the foam moulding and figured you would know a lot more about it than i would. I haven't used it before so I'm curious on if you think this would work.

Here is what I'm looking to do more or less throughout the main level of the house and maybe the bedroom.

sort of like this:
punchlistcarpentry.com/new-Special_clip_image008.jpg

Instead of the yellow glow it would be clean neon white and i would put about 3 or 4 inches between the crown moulding and the top corner, not an inch like they did in the picture above. Here is the neon lighting that I'm going with... a LED pearl white light rope.
wont let me post link... google image search 'pearl white led rope light' for what I'm looking at.

I think with LEDs being cool burning creating no heat, and using about 10% of the power of traditional incandescent bulbs it could really be something cool and might pay for itself in the long run.
I can use a traditional Leutron dimmer switch to control the brightness of it too.

I'm wondering if it would work well with the styrofoam crown moulding like they sell on the net... AVS wont let me post links but there were some good ones posted at the beginning of this thread

I'm thinking it would be perfect if I mounted the Neon white LED rope with the plastic clips first, and got the dimmer switch working (hopefully the remote control Leutron dimmer will work) then I could just liquid nails up the painted crown moulding and have a really sweet effect that would cut down on our energy consumption.

I'd like to know if anyone has done anything similar to this using the foam molding (pics please!?), or hear if anyone has any things to think about when I start working on this.

Thanks!
B

Am I understanding you correctly? You want to put the crown molding 3-4 inches below he ceiling height? If so the foam product I used won't work. It's specifically designed to attach to the wall and the ceiling. If you mount it 3-4 inches below the ceiling, the top attachment point of the crown will have no place to be attached to. Maybe I am not making sense and missed your point, if so please try to explain it to me again.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page