Best way to wipe dust marks off Behr Paint... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This might sound kinda a noob question but I recently painted my theatre room with a dark Behr (Flat) color. Sorta of like Maroon dark. Afterwards, I did alot of work around the walls and noticed that some part of my walls were stained with dirt\\sawdust. The only way i tried to remove this is by getting a clean soft damp cloth and wiping it off but it sorta smeared the dirt around and now it looks worst.

Does anyone know what's the best way to fix this?
Do i have to apply touch-up paint and will it make look uneven if I do this?

Please help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried to Hoover the dust?

If you decide to repaint be prepared to paint whole room as reds don't play nice. As reds are translucent the touch up's may be darker.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #3 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 511
A couple of things you can try next time (after repainting the whole wall)

1) compressed air
2) a none abrasive feather duster. You can tell if it is non abrasive if you smack your face with the business end and you practically can't feel anything. I use mine to dust my screen.
post #4 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 AM

Interesting that you post this question, because I have the same thing with my Behr paint. Black on the ceiling and burgundy on the walls. Where I brushed up against, it seems like there is a chalk like residue. I did go back to HD and asked them about this and they never heard of it.

I've used a damp cloth and that seems to make it worse.

I will be following this thread.

Rich
post #5 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post

Do i have to apply touch-up paint and will it make look uneven if I do this?

If you are going to try to touch up the paint, get a small foam smooth coat roller. Put on some paint, then off load most of the paint on something clean, then when the roller has very little paint, roll it over the trouble spots feathering out the paint for at least a foot beyond the area you are trying to cover.
post #6 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainerich View Post

Interesting that you post this question, because I have the same thing with my Behr paint. Black on the ceiling and burgundy on the walls. Where I brushed up against, it seems like there is a chalk like residue. I did go back to HD and asked them about this and they never heard of it.

I've used a damp cloth and that seems to make it worse.

I will be following this thread.

Rich

This is exactly my problem. I have a "Chalk like residue" instead of the dust\\dirt on my wall. Sorry i have to rephrase my problem.

I 'll try the roller part and see if it goes away but for now, maybe someone has a different solution out there.

Thanks
post #7 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 09:24 AM

I wrote about this same thing in my construction thread. It happened when using both satin and flat finish with two different paint brands. I believe it has to do with dark colors. Mine created gray streak marks simply by rubbing my fingertips on it lightly. Then when I cleaned with a dust free white soft cloth it got worse. I finally ended up repainting the entire room.

Rinker Family Cinema Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Rinker
post #8 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteGuy View Post

I wrote about this same thing in my construction thread. It happened when using both satin and flat finish with two different paint brands. I believe it has to do with dark colors. Mine created gray streak marks simply by rubbing my fingertips on it lightly. Then when I cleaned with a dust free white soft cloth it got worse. I finally ended up repainting the entire room.

Same thing here using Sherwan Williams Promar 200 & 400 flat black. Looks beautiful as long as you don't touch it!
post #9 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Two things. First off, I've had many pro painters tell me Behr paint is...um...not the best. Especially their Flats as they don't clean up well.

Secondly, you need to get some nice microfiber detailing cloth or cheese cloth thats made to pick up fine dust particulates. USE NO CLEANER OR WATER. A good cloth with many "micro-fibers" to grab and pick up the dust will work without marring the paint surface, and all without any sort of cleaners.
post #10 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
With the flat paints, I find that I can touch up areas by re-rolling just the affected area. Because they are flat, there are no roller/brush/lap marks. Most of my house is painted flat, and we've had numerous occasions to touch up small spots.

None of my walls are red, though, so I can't comment on the success with a red paint.

If you do wind up having to repaint the room, consider a matte finish. I don't know if Behr makes one. Sherwin Williams does. We painted the entryway (read: heavy use, dog traffic) with matte paint the same color as the flat paint on the adjacent wall. Imperceptable difference in sheen, but the matte is washable - the flat is not.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #11 of 54 Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM

I had this same problem at the beginning of the year. The marks are actually called burnishing. I called Behr about the problem and they said that this was a problem in the industry with dark colors especially dark reds. I was using S-G-700 Wild Raisin. All I had to do was look at it and it would mark Behr tried to tell me that sometimes people had the problem and sometimes they didn't. They told me that they would stand behind their paint and would pay for the paint to recoat the wall and then asked me to put a coat of poly over top of it which they also paid for. This was a big mistake and only made things worse. At least they paid for the extra product.

I ended up going to Benjamin Moore and put a similar color on my walls. To make matters worse I had problems again but for different reasons. Benjamin Moore sent a rep out to look at my walls. The rep said he wanted me to use their new Aura paint and he came back to help me paint the room and gave me the paint free as well. Now that is service!!! I still have problems with the walls showing small marks but it is no where near as bad as the Behr.

Rest assured their is no way to clean the Behr if you are having this problem, I tried everything. The only answer is to change colors or change products like I did. It took me months of trying everything and lots of repainting so save yourself the time. Call Behr get your money back and change products.

Brian
post #12 of 54 Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM

I have Behr paint in my room,,a midnight blue and a black color.. I just use a black t-shirt with pledge on it. It works great for me. Black marks gone. No residue that I can see.

I agree that if you even slightly rub up against it it shows up white.
post #13 of 54 Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick471 View Post

I have Behr paint in my room,,a midnight blue and a black color.. I just use a black t-shirt with pledge on it. It works great for me. Black marks gone. No residue that I can see.

I agree that if you even slightly rub up against it it shows up white.

I painted my ceiling Behr flat black (gray primer then two coats of paint) and of course I rubbed my hand against it to remove a dab of paint. I ended up with a big white smudge! Just wanted to report that the black cloth and pledge trick worked! Thanks.
post #14 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
We used Duron to paint our living/dining room in a flat yellow. After a superbowl party a few years ago, ther ewer several marks on the walls where people had been standing and leaning aginst the wall.

I used a soft bristle, high quality brush (about 3") and just dabbed the tips of the bristles in the paint and then in quick, very light, random movements (back and forth and up and down, angled, whatever) just barely touching the wall feathered in the paint. I did just enough to cover the marks. Worked great. I think it's worth a try befroe you repaint the entire wall.

Good luck.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #15 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This was said earlier in the thread, but don't use Behr paint in the future. Sherwin Williams or Benjiman Moore are both great paint products.

I would also recommend taking these steps:
Clean your rollers off of excess fibers. "rub" your roller prior to using it and then take a shop vac to clean off the excess fibers

Use a Y motion when painting with a roller. This will hide brush marks very well

2 coats of paint!

Use a tack cloth to clean up dust. No water. Ever.

Don't be super anal about it. The room is going to get used so get used to a few marks.
post #16 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

This was said earlier in the thread, but don't use Behr paint in the future. Sherwin Williams or Benjiman Moore are both great paint products.

I would also recommend taking these steps:
Clean your rollers off of excess fibers. "rub" your roller prior to using it and then take a shop vac to clean off the excess fibers

Use a Y motion when painting with a roller. This will hide brush marks very well

2 coats of paint!

Use a tack cloth to clean up dust. No water. Ever.

Don't be super anal about it. The room is going to get used so get used to a few marks.

I've read a few threads about black paint here before picking my paint. Also above someone mentioned that Sherwin Williams paint produced the same results. I read in another thread that all brands of flat black paint suffer from the same "white scuff" problem. It's on my ceiling so I'm not too worried about it. I marked it a little putting up lights, but that was expected.

Do you have direct experience with these brands of flat black paint? "don't buy Behr paint" is a pretty general statement. If you could be more specific that would be helpful. Thanks!

Here's the other thread if it's helpful;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=black+paint
post #17 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have experience SW paint. I used black, dark red, and dark blue. I typically use a satin paint but have also used a flat and matte. I prefer satin because you can wipe it without leaving marks. The matte is also very good for this as well.
post #18 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

I have experience SW paint. I used black, dark red, and dark blue. I typically use a satin paint but have also used a flat and matte. I prefer satin because you can wipe it without leaving marks. The matte is also very good for this as well.

So you used Sherwin Williams flat black and haven't experienced white scuffing? It's been mentioned several times on avs that SW flat has the same problem as Behr and other brands. I didn't use a satin finish because I don't want light reflections on the ceiling.
post #19 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Just got off the phone with Behr Technical Service regarding the "chalking" of their paint.

I was told that deep based colors have at least 12-14 ounces of tint. When you brush up against the painted surface, you "burnish" the wall.

George recommended that I use a flat enamel on both the ceiling and walls. I have Mickey Mouse Black for the ceiling and deep burgandy for the walls.

I was advised to apply a thin coat and to run a fan to let the paint dry.

Behr is going to reimburse me whatever paint I decide to pick up.

If you want to call Behr, the number is 800-854-0133

YMMV

Rich
post #20 of 54 Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Just got off the phone with Behr Technical Service regarding the "chalking" of their paint.

I was told that deep based colors have at least 12-14 ounces of tint. When you brush up against the painted surface, you "burnish" the wall.

George recommended that I use a flat enamel on both the ceiling and walls. I have Mickey Mouse Black for the ceiling and deep burgandy for the walls.

I was advised to apply a thin coat and to run a fan to let the paint dry.

Behr is going to reimburse me whatever paint I decide to pick up.

If you want to call Behr, the number is 800-854-0133

YMMV

Rich

That's great. So Behr will pay for the flat enamel or to repaint? Also, will that add a shine to your ceiling? Thanks for the info.
post #21 of 54 Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Behr is going to reimburse me for the cost of the paint.

I wish they would reimburse for labor!

I have a return authorization and they will reimburse up 5 gallons of paint.

Rich
post #22 of 54 Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Behr is going to reimburse me for the cost of the paint.

I wish they would reimburse for labor!

I have a return authorization and they will reimburse up 5 gallons of paint.

Rich

I'm definately calling them, thanks for the tip!
post #23 of 54 Old 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a dark purple Behr flat paint in my theater and I found that a clean Microfiber dust cloth lightly applied works greaton smudges, dust and fingerprints.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #24 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Wish I saw this thread a few days ago.

I have Behr paint, Flat matte, see where they claim "superior scrubability" on their label? Liars.

Like others in this thread I'm not too happy with Behr right now.
I waited until after carpeting was down (Monday 1/26/09 )to give the wall a "once over" light washing.
I got dust on it while doing my 2nd row riser broadband project, and the carpet guys bumped into it while doing the carpet install.
Just some sawdust/dust.
Not the easiest to see in these picts, but I've got the white milky chalk look others have posted about after just cleaning the walls with warm water and cloth:

Thx Rich for posting the Behr Technical Service hotline, 800-854-0133, I'll be calling shortly after 9am EST today.

Gosh I hope re-painting is not needed.....I want to give a big Charlie Brown ARGHHH if so.
post #25 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Wish I saw this thread a few days ago.

I have Behr paint, Flat matte, see where they claim "superior scrubability" on their label? Liars.

Like others in this thread I'm not too happy with Behr right now.
I waited until after carpeting was down (Monday 1/26/09 )to give the wall a "once over" light washing.
I got dust on it while doing my 2nd row riser broadband project[/url], and the carpet guys bumped into it while doing the carpet install.
Just some sawdust/dust.
Not the easiest to see in these picts, but I've got the white milky chalk look others have posted about after just cleaning the walls with warm water and cloth:

Thx Rich for posting the Behr Technical Service hotline, 800-854-0133, I'll be calling shortly after 9am EST today.

Gosh I hope re-painting is not needed.....I want to give a big Charlie Brown ARGHHH if so.

When I mounted the unistrut to my ceiling I inevitably brushed against the ceiling and made lots of little white marks. I decided to paint the strut and went over the spots with the brush, that took care of it quickly. I just couldn't get the spots to wipe off well enough. Around the lights I was able to use a wet cloth, even tried some pledge, that helped a little. Just make sure you use a black cloth and don't push hard on it when you do it. Definately call them, but more than likely they'll just give you a refund or pay for more paint.
post #26 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthibode View Post

When I mounted the unistrut to my ceiling I inevitably brushed against the ceiling and made lots of little white marks. I decided to paint the strut and went over the spots with the brush, that took care of it quickly. I just couldn't get the spots to wipe off well enough. Around the lights I was able to use a wet cloth, even tried some pledge, that helped a little. Just make sure you use a black cloth and don't push hard on it when you do it. Definately call them, but more than likely they'll just give you a refund or pay for more paint.

I'll take $$'s for more paint, but honestly I'm gonna hold them to their claim "superior scrubbability", I can tell they don't work in the auto business (I do at OE).

It's their label and they are making a bogus/false claim!

You can't believe how many countess meetings I've had with lawyers over what we put on our labels and in print (manuals, brochure, those temp "cling" tags that inform you, etc).
post #27 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I'll take $$'s for more paint, but honestly I'm gonna hold them to their claim "superior scrubbability", I can tell they don't work in the auto business (I do at OE).

It's their label and they are making a bogus/false claim!

You can't believe how many countess meetings I've had with lawyers over what we put on our labels and in print (manuals, brochure, those temp "cling" tags that inform you, etc).

Definately. I just got off the phone with Behr. The guy I talked with was really nice. He said that the necessary dry time to avoid burnishing with flat black paint is 30 days. After that he said the pigment has properly cured and you can touch it without burnishing it. Also, you'll be able to clean the surface with a damp cloth without causing further marks. He said you could use a flat or matte finish poly coat to protect it, but they don't make one. I mentioned that I'd rather have more paint to go over it. He said I can mail them a copy of my receipt and they'll reimburse me the cost of the paint so I can buy more.

The issues I've had with the paint I would say is minor compared to yours as I used a satin finish for the walls and that doesn't burnish. I'm happy that Behr will stand by their product.
post #28 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthibode View Post

Definately. I just got off the phone with Behr. The guy I talked with was really nice. He said that the necessary dry time to avoid burnishing with flat black paint is 30 days. After that he said the pigment has properly cured and you can touch it without burnishing it. Also, you'll be able to clean the surface with a damp cloth without causing further marks. He said you could use a flat or matte finish poly coat to protect it, but they don't make one. I mentioned that I'd rather have more paint to go over it. He said I can mail them a copy of my receipt and they'll reimburse me the cost of the paint so I can buy more.

The issues I've had with the paint I would say is minor compared to yours as I used a satin finish for the walls and that doesn't burnish. I'm happy that Behr will stand by their product.

I also just got off the phone with Behr tech support, did we speak to the same guy??
His name is C*rson? (changed slightly to protect him....)

He stated "flatness" is in this order:
-Flat
-Flat Enamel (which is what I have)
-Egg shell
-Satin

Same on the drying, but mine was painted 4+ months ago, so that's not my problem.
They do stand by their product, I'm getting:
a) 5 gallons of paint
b) 2 gallons of flat poly (he stated Behr does not make flat, buy another brand and they will reimburse me)
c) $30 for misc supplies (I asked them about doing this and he agreed)

Prior to totally re-painting, I'm getting 1 quart of eggshell and 1 quart of satin, will apply both and see which reflect light "the least" by my subjective eye evaluation and is most durable.
He stated Satin would have NO problem with burnishing, Egg shell might, depends.
So, if Satin will give me the light reflectivity control from the screen I want, then I'll go with that, else Egg Shell for the better light control than Satin and better burnishing than Flat Enamel.

The 2 gallon of flat Poly is back-up if neither Eggshell or satin satisfies me, then I'll re-apply Flat Enamel and put a thin coat of flat poly on that.

Anyone here did the 2-step flat enamel / flat Poly and report good result?

"brianunknown" put Flat Poly as topcoat and stated he did not like that but was no exactly clear why/what happened.

I have to post this, thought I was well past painting......
post #29 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've read here a couple times that Walmart paint is pretty good, besides being around $10/gal and that it's made by Sherwin Williams. Has anybody else here used it?
post #30 of 54 Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

I've read here a couple times that Walmart paint is pretty good, besides being around $10/gal and that it's made by Sherwin Williams. Has anybody else here used it?

Someone mentioned above, same problem with flat sherwin williams paint.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page