Alright, you've fooled around long enough...go build something! - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 419 Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey KJ,

Curious to know if you got the 900 to do the multi step commands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 419 Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't had a chance yet. I'll be back in town next week and will give it a go then.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #393 of 419 Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Drop me a pm if you need any help or get stuck.
post #394 of 419 Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i came to this thread hoping to read about your riser construction. 2 hours later, i am just wrapping up the thread. amazing set up. wish you lived closer to new hampshire and could ask for some advice.

who installed your carpet? i see the home depot/lowes install deals, but not sure about their quality of installers
post #395 of 419 Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Absolutely beautiful HT and a really well documented build. I am definitely stealing a lot of your ideas. (When I have some money that is....)

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #396 of 419 Old 10-20-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot for the complements.

We had the carpet installed by Randy's Carpet. I was nervous about the install as it was the installer's first HT. He really took his time and did what I thought was a very good job. He was quite pleased as well as he asked to take a couple of pics of the job to show to his wife.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #397 of 419 Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Kjlewie,

After running into your theater thread, I could not resist leaving a note, your theater looks awesome!! Great Job!
post #398 of 419 Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #399 of 419 Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Kudos again on the great looking theater, and thanks for the tip on the paint color in the soffit thread. Off to Lowes this afternoon to pick up a couple gallons of Labrador paint and dark primer. I wonder if two gallons will be enough...
post #400 of 419 Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks and your welcome. Two gallons was enough for our 12' x 23' ceiling with 3 coats, I believe. I have to double check with my wife. We picked up another quart to paint the crown moulding and have quite a bit left in the can.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #401 of 419 Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife corrected me that it took 4 coats to completely cover the ceiling and soffits. Three coats to cover the walls.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #402 of 419 Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Kjlewie

Bump. How about a update I miss all these older threads

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #403 of 419 Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 AM

I second that. I subscribed to this thread long ago, because I dream of doing something almost exactly like what you've got. Your theater is like a template for me. I'd need a new house, but there's no harm in planning ahead for the space I'll need.
post #404 of 419 Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys. Been a little while. Thanks for the bump and the compliments.

Not much to update but the HT has been purring along (sometimes rumbling) quite nicely for some time.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #405 of 419 Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 14
kj,

Nice to see you check in here on your thread. How often to you get a chance to use your theater?
post #406 of 419 Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brad,

We sit down for a movie or two a week. The kids use the HT for their xbox and PS3 sometimes as well.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #407 of 419 Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought I would post an update that we are selling our house and the beloved theater. We will miss the theater a lot as we still enjoy it very much.

I'm already planning for HT2 for the new house at some point but it will not be a dedicated room - will be more of a basement family room with casual seating.

I'm torn between wanting to keep my equipment because it has performed nearly perfect versus the excitement of possibly getting new gear. I do think it would be wise to leave the room intact to help with the home sale, but I am also weighing selling the gear and chairs outright as I wonder if prospective home buyers will appreciate the HT.??

Building the room was one of the more challenging and rewarding DIY projects we've done.

A sincere thanks to everybody here and at the 'shack for their help and support in creating the Lewis Family Cinema.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #408 of 419 Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Please post an update as to the buyers feedback on your theater. I would be interested to know if it helps with the sale.

post #409 of 419 Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

Thought I would post an update that we are selling our house and the beloved theater. We will miss the theater a lot as we still enjoy it very much.

I'm already planning for HT2 for the new house at some point but it will not be a dedicated room - will be more of a basement family room with casual seating.

I'm torn between wanting to keep my equipment because it has performed nearly perfect versus the excitement of possibly getting new gear. I do think it would be wise to leave the room intact to help with the home sale, but I am also weighing selling the gear and chairs outright as I wonder if prospective home buyers will appreciate the HT.??

Building the room was one of the more challenging and rewarding DIY projects we've done.

A sincere thanks to everybody here and at the 'shack for their help and support in creating the Lewis Family Cinema.

I went through the same exact process when selling my last house. We decided to not include the theater but offer it as something negotiable if people really loved it. Feedback came in all over the board from "love the movie room" to "this would be better suited converted to an extra bedroom". I could only assume that those stating the latter were either drunk or high as a kite. In the end, a couple fell in love with the house and the boyfriend REALLY wanted the theater.

They initially asked for everything at the offer price. We countered with 2 options. One was a higher price that inlcuded everything, and the other was an acceptance of the offer with what we considered was a "starter setup". They opted for that, so I left the seats, shakers, screen, and acoustical panels. I took all of the equipment from the rack, the speakers (minus the in-walls) and the projector (left the mount).
post #410 of 419 Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tank, I will definitely follow up.

Jason, thanks for the tip. Having two options for a potential counter is good advice.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #411 of 419 Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 13
We ended up going with an open plan versus a dedicated room, and have been really happy with it over the last 5 years. We may be in the same boat. potentially relocating to Florida. Makes you think twice about the amount of effort to put into the next one! Would sure love to find a house with a fellow AVS handiwork already done!
post #412 of 419 Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Oh noooo!! Don't go to the dark side!! smile.gif I don't understand how anyone could pick a multifunction room over a dedicated HT. Maybe I'm biased by my needs for extreme sound isolation, because I havent been able to turn my speakers past 1/4 with my wife home since I bought them. Plus the inevitable tradeoff losing effective surround effects with open side walls etc. I don't even want to bother trying to design a multifunction room because my living room already is one, and I am already not happy with it.
post #413 of 419 Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
KJ,

Good luck selling your house. I'll give you a suggestion based on what we did. I swapped out all of the good equipment that I could and left behind cheaper versions. Most people can't tell the difference and are just blown away by seeing a dedicated theater. It worked well in our case and it really helped sell our house. The biggest loss for me was leaving the chairs behind, because we loved them, but leaving some old speakers behind the screen and a 2-3 year old projector didn't bother me since the newer projectors cost less and perform better than my old one anyway.

Our new house has a multifunction space and we're pretty happy with it. It is not the same as a dedicated space and never will be, but it keeps the basement open and allows us to have several game room items we never had space for before. Would I like to be able to have a dedicated room, yes, but I don't think it makes sense in my current house. I do plan on upgrading what was left by the previous owner. I miss my 2.35:1 AT screen and would like to upgrade to a 3d projector. But those have to wait until we save up some more money and fix up a few other things in the house first.

My build thread:
The Maple Street Theater
post #414 of 419 Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have to say, your thread was one of the first ones that I subscribed to and used as an inspiration when I started this obsession a few years ago. Best of luck to you selling your house.
post #415 of 419 Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davboy View Post

We ended up going with an open plan versus a dedicated room, and have been really happy with it over the last 5 years. We may be in the same boat. potentially relocating to Florida. Makes you think twice about the amount of effort to put into the next one! Would sure love to find a house with a fellow AVS handiwork already done!

I imagine a few buyers appreciate the handiwork of a good room. Talking about gg, clips, channel, dd, etc. doesn't mean much when all the buyer sees is a finished room. But, if they like the finished room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post

Oh noooo!! Don't go to the dark side!! smile.gif I don't understand how anyone could pick a multifunction room over a dedicated HT. Maybe I'm biased by my needs for extreme sound isolation, because I havent been able to turn my speakers past 1/4 with my wife home since I bought them. Plus the inevitable tradeoff losing effective surround effects with open side walls etc. I don't even want to bother trying to design a multifunction room because my living room already is one, and I am already not happy with it.

The Force is strong with this one! I'm actually looking forward to designing the open space. The dedicated room will be missed though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guamguam View Post

KJ,

Good luck selling your house. I'll give you a suggestion based on what we did. I swapped out all of the good equipment that I could and left behind cheaper versions. Most people can't tell the difference and are just blown away by seeing a dedicated theater. It worked well in our case and it really helped sell our house. The biggest loss for me was leaving the chairs behind, because we loved them, but leaving some old speakers behind the screen and a 2-3 year old projector didn't bother me since the newer projectors cost less and perform better than my old one anyway.

Our new house has a multifunction space and we're pretty happy with it. It is not the same as a dedicated space and never will be, but it keeps the basement open and allows us to have several game room items we never had space for before. Would I like to be able to have a dedicated room, yes, but I don't think it makes sense in my current house. I do plan on upgrading what was left by the previous owner. I miss my 2.35:1 AT screen and would like to upgrade to a 3d projector. But those have to wait until we save up some more money and fix up a few other things in the house first.

Thanks for the suggestion Nate. That's good advice for hanging on to the pieces I want to keep. Agree that the chairs will be the most difficult to part with. But they won't fit in our new space so I intend to sell them separately or with the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I have to say, your thread was one of the first ones that I subscribed to and used as an inspiration when I started this obsession a few years ago. Best of luck to you selling your house.

Thanks. Good luck with the homestretch on your build.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #416 of 419 Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 12
kj
Loved your thread and all the details you shared, great inspiration all the way through, and your finished HT turned out extremely well, thanks for taking us along for the ride, it was a lot of fun! cool.gif
Can't imagine selling it after all the time and effort you put into it.
Maybe you'll regale us again with Lewis Family Cinema v 2.0! biggrin.gif
How did the sale go?
Be well,

John
post #417 of 419 Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

John,

Thanks for the kind words - very much appreciated. Indeed, the build, thread and actually using the HT were a lot of fun.

The sale has taken longer than we expected. We originally hoped the house would sell in late spring/ early summer but are now scheduled to close by the end of the month!smile.gif

We had lots of positive feedback on the HT, especially when it was furnished, but I removed everything when we moved in the spring. In the end, Guam's suggestion made the most sense and I decided to leave the RS-25 and the DIY screen along with some secondary equipment to play BR in 7.1. I was quite surprised at how good the room sounded with the secondary gear. When I re-equipped the room in July in preparation for a showing, I ended up sitting on the floor watching half of a movie.tongue.gif

I've been selling to fund or keeping to use the rest of my primary gear for our new, non-dedicated room. Build and thread coming soon...hopefully...rolleyes.gif

Thanks

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #418 of 419 Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has been a few months since we closed on the sale of our house so I wanted to close out this thread. A thread with our in-progress new build will follow in the new year. Here is a quick pencil and paper sketch of "The Lewis Family Cinema 2.0" screen wall:

See you in the New Year!
warrenP likes this.

Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #419 of 419 Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM

And it's 23:50 in Virginia and I just finished reading your entire post non-stop. Such fantastic documentation! I look forward to your next thread! Thanks so much for taking the time to document every step for those of us who are learning!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page