Design a Home Theater to beat Bose Acoustimass® 10 speaker system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard the Bose TrueLife demo yesterday at CC. At $1799 it is way out of range but for $999 Acoustimass 10 speaker system sounds ok.

My question is: Can I beat this system's sound quality/clarity/Setup/Price by going with other brands like Polk, Klipsch (Onkyo or Pioneer).
Please suggest some setups.

Anks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1981 View Post

I heard the Bose TrueLife demo yesterday at CC. At $1799 it is way out of range but for $999 Acoustimass 10 speaker system sounds ok.

My question is: Can I beat this system's sound quality/clarity/Setup/Price by going with other brands like Polk, Klipsch (Onkyo or Pioneer).

Anks

Ok, I'm probably being set up but I'm bored waiting for some drywall mud to dry so I'll bite, and this question is actually better suited for the speaker forum but I digress.

The simple answer to your question is yes you can most definitely beat the Bose set up for the same amount of money for sure.

Bose does not get much respect around here due to the actual performance of their product and their unwillingness to share specs, graphs, and performance testing like some of the other companies around here who have a cult like following. Bose is a well MARKETED company for sure, but far from the best "bang for your buck" performance wise.

I'll go out on a limb and say that for a HtiB (Home theater in Box) which is what the Bose True Life system is that a Onkyo HtiB for $999 would actually outperform or at least be comparable to the Bose @ $1799

I had a friend who purchased this Bose producthttp://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bose-...oductDetail.do and it worked just fine but was just underwhelming in its sound. After he had it a few days his comment to me was "How come I don't hear or feel the sub"? I told him it was just how the Bose does the "lows" and it was actually working as designed.

I hope this helped and again you could find a better solution by going with the other setups you mentioned.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Anything will beat this Bose system. Check out the speaker section to verify this.

As mentioned, the Bose "subwoofer" should be classified as a woofer and not a subwoofer and you will be disappointed with the sound especially during movies. Bose are clearly overpriced and the other brands you mentioned will be a much better bang for the buck.

Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha receivers are excellent especially if you can get a closeout on last years models. Don't get a fake subwoofer like the Blose.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

post #5 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

...My question is: Can I beat this system's sound quality/clarity/Setup/Price by going with other brands like Polk, Klipsch (Onkyo or Pioneer).

Anks

Every single one of those will as well as almost every other speaker made. take a look at this article to get an idea of Bose quality (or lack of).
post #6 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone please post some example setups?

Thanks.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM

OP - check out the speakers forum within this site...LOTS of options within the same - or even lower - price range that you would be pleased with.

Mark
post #8 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Anks

Anks:

Welcome to the forum. You would be best served to read the descriptions of each of the forums before posting. THe area you posted in has to do with constructing/building a theater. Nothing to do with speakers.

2nd, I would suggestion using the search engine. Go to advance search, title search only, use BOSE as your search word and highlight the speaker forum from the list to the right. You'll find a days worth of prev. discussions on their products...that will prepare and give you a background to ask very specific questions about the product vs generic...tell me what would be better? It's similar to picking a make and model of car (over priced and low performance car) and asking which car would be better than X? You can see from the comparison...shotgun approach doesn't serve you or those trying to help you.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #9 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by koach View Post

"No highs and no lows, it must be Bose"

you beat me to it...

IMHO if cash is tight start with a better stereo system then a really bad 5.1 setup.

2nd hand amps/receivers are a good option if you buy from a shop. As speakers can be. Be wary about private sales.

I suppose what I am getting at is if you cant afford to get it right first time, just buy bits until you can. I am a fan if getting it right first time and buying things once.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #10 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm not speaker expert, but I was in the same spot a few years back looking for a system for $1,000 - $2,000.

I searched everywhere for someone to suggest a setup, and you got a lot of pointing to other forums, and people's individual reviews of their own product.

I think what many newbies would like is 3 different packages A, B, and C that would be a good setup. Maybe one for each brand with a ballpark price.

Then a newbie can go and grab a set of polk speakers and an Onkyo or Marantz receiver as a HTIB system they made themselves.

I'm not recommending this setup, but for starters I was happy with it.

I got a Onkyo 605 for about $300 - $400 for a receiver.

Then I got a sub and speakers from HSU research. They had a couple different packages. I got a package of nice small speakers (which was important in that room at the time) and a sub for about $500.

I'm pretty sure it's better than most bose systems.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post

I'm not speaker expert, but I was in the same spot a few years back looking for a system for $1,000 - $2,000.

I searched everywhere for someone to suggest a setup, and you got a lot of pointing to other forums, and people's individual reviews of their own product.

I think what many newbies would like is 3 different packages A, B, and C that would be a good setup. Maybe one for each brand with a ballpark price.

Then a newbie can go and grab a set of polk speakers and an Onkyo or Marantz receiver as a HTIB system they made themselves.

What has already been suggested is for him to do a SEARCH with BOSE as the key word in the SPEAKER forum

he will not only find hours of reading on why the speaker system is crap compared to whats out there for less money but he will also get credible suggestions on what speakers to buy instead

My Onkyo/Axiom M80 surround system kicks the pants off ANYTHING that Bose has ever produced or likely ever will
post #12 of 21 Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Can someone please post some example setups?

Thanks.

Well FWIW I do not have any of the following setups however if I was going to put together a system for right around a grand here are some suggestions.

Using either a Denon 589 or Onkyo 506 both right around 300.00 give or take a few dollars. You could pair these two receivers with the following speakers for right around a grand.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html + http://www.fluance.com/fldb12in200w.html

Just a starting point but I would bet these systems plus the receiver would all surpass the Bose set up.

You could also try here if your budget increased to over a grand.

SVSound, Aperion, Ascend, and several others that are internet direct.

Speakers as many will tell you are a highly individual choice and what may sound better to me may sound down right bad to you.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the internet direct speaker companies.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Well FWIW I do not have any of the following setups however if I was going to put together a system for right around a grand here are some suggestions.

Using either a Denon 589 or Onkyo 506 both right around 300.00 give or take a few dollars. You could pair these two receivers with the following speakers for right around a grand.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html + http://www.fluance.com/fldb12in200w.html

Just a starting point but I would bet these systems plus the receiver would all surpass the Bose set up.

You could also try here if your budget increased to over a grand.

SVSound, Aperion, Ascend, and several others that are internet direct.

Speakers as many will tell you are a highly individual choice and what may sound better to me may sound down right bad to you.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the internet direct speaker companies.

Regards,

RTROSE

See, this is great advice that I was looking for a few years back. There is so much info when you do a search that it's overwhelming for those starting out especially when it gets outside the more familiar names. Polk, Klipsch, Bose, etc.

It's like learning to try new beers. Don't just offer some obscure microbrew. Have them sample a few different styles of popular beers and then let them refine their onw taste from there.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Now guys...thanks alot for your replies. Here's what I have shortlisted so far.
1. Onkyo receiver 605 or 674 (whichever is cheaper) $300 - $400
2. Polk R150 for front and CSi25
3. HSU VTF-2 MK3 or SVS PB-10 NSD or Velodyne VRP 1200 ($550 - $430 - $180) in this order

My concern still is if Polk's the way to go. Is there anything better in same price range? I can go 2.1 for now and add surround sound later on.
Any comments on my Sub choices?

Thanks.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
HSU and SVS make killer subs for the money.

Go listen to the Polks. If you like them, buy them. As previously mentioned, internet brands like Axiom also offer lots of value. Nearly all allow for a complete risk-free 30 day test period.

post #16 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Energy's take five system offers a great bang for the buck (including the sub)...and should be able to be purchased locally (in most cities).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #17 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am fond of Definitive Technology speakers. Check out the ProCinema 600 system, $800 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...ctiveda8764-20. The sub included in this package probably won't keep up with the Hsu or the SVS subs you mentioned earlier, but the box is much smaller which can help if WAF is important.

Better yet: Buy 5 of these ProMonitor 800 satellites for $725 (http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...7562568&sr=1-4) plus the SVS PB10-NSD and get the whole package for about $1150. I suspect the larger 800 series satellites will be easier to integrate with a subwoofer.

Or check out the omnipolar Mirage systems. I haven't spent as much time listening to these, but my initial impressions were very good. A system consisting of two Omnisat v2 FS towers, an Omnisat v2 CC center, and two Omnisat v2 satellites would run you $1020 from Amazon. Add the PB10-NSD and you've got a complete speaker system for about $1450.

Add the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver (at the ridiculously low price of $350 from Amazon) to any of these speaker packages and you'd have a true theater system that would (IMHO) run circles around anything sold by Bose.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #18 of 21 Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Energy's take five system offers a great bang for the buck (including the sub)...and should be able to be purchased locally (in most cities).

I second the Energy Take Five system as well. This system can play VERY LOUD and clean!!! If you replace the sub with one from HSU or SVS, you'd have a BEAST of a setup without having to pay as much as you would for the Bose setup.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You can get a Klipsch CS-700 (2.1 system) for about $700 online, and a CS-500 for less. They include a DVD player and a receiver. Klipsch also has a whole range of other options, see here.

I wonder, were you thinking about making changes to your listening room to make the new system sound better? If so you may have come to the right place. A good system in a lousy room won't sound good.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Your timing is great. Check out av123 for their Christmas specials. They have a GREAT system for $750 until the end of December. It will KILL the Bose system and a whole lot of other systems under $2000.

War Eagle!
post #21 of 21 Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not sure if you've already made up your mind, but I have a Polk system and couldn't be happier with the price. I might be biased but I think Polk is THE best bang for your buck budget speaker.

With that, My friend has the r150/r300 and I personally have rti4s all around. The rti and rtia series can be found for much less then their msrp and I think are a SIGNIFICANT step up from the r series.

I would suggest going for the vrp-1200 cheaper sub (it's what I have and at that price it's just phenomenal) and using the extra money to step up to the rti line or atleast the monitor/tsi line.

just my $.02
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page