The Palm Coast Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All...just getting started on improving our bonus room. We have a bonus room above our garage that is right around a 19' or 20' square (for the most part). It also has two small convenient closets up there and a full bath! But it is time to finish it up and make it a real great room!

We currently sport a nice home theater sectional from Ashley's and a custom built (by someone else) entertainment center with a 65" 1080p DLP (the picture shows our old 61").

I'm not going to go ALL out like some, but I would like to do some modest things. I'm still deciding on what we should do, so input is appreciated....
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

So here's my first real important question that will give direction to how I want to set up the front half of the room and the TV (or future screen!) area. I see all you guys that have your equipment in closets or around the corner, etc. But how in the heck do you get your remote controls to work while in a different room?

For example, I would like to move my DVD player, receiver, cable box to the closet to the left of the TV. It is a real convenient size and location for this, with basic shelving already in place. So I put a pillow in front of my DishNetwork box to see if the remote would work through the door. Of course it didn't! So how the heck do you guys change channels in your theater when your cable boxes are in a different room????
post #3 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Issue #2 up for suggestions....what to do with the front half of the room.

As nice as the entertainment center is with its custom, full-length pull out drawers holding up to 1000 DVDs, it's time to go. I want something that looks better. So should I just get a really sleak stand/shelving unit and put all my equipment in the closet? Should I build a false wall so that the TV and speakers can be built-ins? Should I get a screen and mount it to the wall, and halve only the speakers up front? Is that too simplistic? I watch a TON of TV, so would it be dumb to go the projector route?

Thanks for getting the brain moving. I have too many ideas, but can't focus them!
post #4 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 296
First thing you gotta do man is get off the fence; do you want it to be a Theater or a Family Room? Because what you got yourself right now...65" TV, Entertainment Center, big, comfy sectional...is the All-American Family Room. Yes, if you commit to getting a PJ and screen, then we can recommend building a false front, hiding the speakers, and cleaning up the front of your room. Besides, you'd really want to break up the square shape of your room, for acoustic reasons.

I'm not saying you have to trade your sectional for HT seating; plenty of members go more the "media room" route and keep things casual. But I can't see doing all that work just to keep the 65" set. You've got a nice, comfy set-up right now, but obviously you want to do something more like what you see in this thread, and that means, not just hiding equipment, but going big-screen.

You can watch TV on the PJ; plenty of these members do. The concern is about light control in the room; as long as you're willing to block light from those 2 windows (are they the only ones?), you'd be fine. Oh, and as far as controlling equipment in a closet or other room, there is either RF or IR extenders.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #5 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I think you hit it on the head. My problem is I can't decide if I want to make a really nice family room or a dedicated theater room.

I've considered doing the family room, but putting the sectional back and on a riser, than some bean bags or a comfy couch in front of it.

I'll just need to do some good thinking on this...I appreciate the thoughts so far--keep them coming!

By the way, any good places to look for the IR extenders?
post #6 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuebs View Post

I think you hit it on the head. My problem is I can't decide if I want to make a really nice family room or a dedicated theater room.

I've considered doing the family room, but putting the sectional back and on a riser, than some bean bags or a comfy couch in front of it.

I'll just need to do some good thinking on this...I appreciate the thoughts so far--keep them coming!

I don't use them, so maybe some others will chime in...or you could just Google "remote IR extenders".

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #7 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Television is great - we have a nice one - 56in. - Theater experience in the home requires projection to a BIG screen. Doing both TV and projection is best solution in our opinion.

Remember the base element of Theater in the Home (or commercial Theater) is the visual experience - that is, the lights go down and the BIG screen lights up and everyone says "WOW, this is just like being at the movies!".

During the visual time the decorations can't be seen - don't matter - don't contribute one bit the the experience you went there to get.

A shelf mounted or ceiling mounted PJ, a BIG screen and surround sound system gets the Theater Experience basics done - so sit on anything you like.

Other half of the room, how about arcade games and a nice bar with nice comfy bar chairs. Pinball and foosball work REAL GOOD - use only commercial quality and coin-op games - they are made better, more fun and very authentic looking compared to the consumer quality stuff. We have four pins, a foos and a stand up dart game.

Make it fun, make it casual, make it multi-purpose space and without question get a projector and a screen.
goodluck
post #8 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks imjay. I'm not quite sure the room is fully big enough for all the games and stuff. Especially if we keep the mother huge sectional.

As for using both a TV and projector, that just won't work for us and our budget. If we go PJ, the idea would be to sell the TV to cut the costs. Like I believe I said earlier, we might watch too much TV for a PJ. We don't usually watch TV with the lights off, so that would cause a problem....maybe that is starting to direct me away from a PJ? Unless there is a really good one that is ideal for both lights off movies and lights on TV?

Besides, I do really love my DLP TV! (and got it for a KILLER deal last Super Bowl)
post #9 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you have any other rooms in the house to watch TV, other than bedrooms? I put a 60" DLP in my living room and am going with the dedicated theater. I also have a family room with a 32" CRT. When you don't have other "family" rooms in the house it makes it difficult to to do other "non-movie" events with a dedicated theater.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

We have a living room, family room that the front door opens into. It is 1) no good for that kind of TV watching and 2) off limits per for a TV per the wife.

We have TVs in all the bedrooms, so this bonus room is our main TV area, and our main entertaining area.

I'll try to get a drawing of the room layout and some better pictures up real soon.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
To answer the remote rack control issue, there are several ways to go.

Some folks get a radio frequency remote that talks to a dohickey on the rack. The dohickey then blasts the appropriate IR signals to the equipment.

Another common approach is to have an IR extender. Essentially, you have an 'eye' at the front of the room that picks up IR signals. This is wired to a little amplifier on your rack that drives one or more IR flashers in front of your rack or attached to your equipment.

If there is an easy wire path from the front of your room to your rack, the IR extender is pretty easy and not too expensive (maybe $100 for an 'eye', an amplifier, and the flashers). Go to smarthome.com and look up 'Buffalo'.

If hardwiring would be hard, look into radio frequency (RF) remotes.

Either way, while you are at it, plan to pick up a universal remote and simplify your life. I just got a logitech Harmony One and I can't believe I went this long without one.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #12 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Phuebs, just my .02, but it seems like you caught HT-itis and had visions of 2:35 in your head...but it just isn't practical for you, or fit your lifestyle for that matter. Those who have chimed in comment on how there is nothing like the big screen to recreate the theater experience of watching a movie. Again, just my opinion, but I don't think the same applies to watching CSI; we never use the HT to watch TV. I mean, sure, who wouldn't like showing off the Super Bowl on a 150" movie screen, but if you watch mostly TV, watch it mostly in well-lit rooms, etc., maybe you should just be content with your current set-up. You seem to love your 65" DLP and your current room is a very nice Family Room. If you wanted to hide some equipment, like you talked about in your OP, there are ways to do that. But it just doesn't seem like a PJ and screen is going to be an easy switch for you to accomodate.

CD

post #13 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Dear Dr. Lehner,

You have accurately diagnosed my disease. I have HT-itis, and I am very, very sick. I appreciate your prescription, and my wife will probably thank you endlessly for it.

I think after hearing some thoughts for a day and mulling it over, I agree that the projector is just not the way to go.

However, I think I can still do some things to to room to alleviate my disease (and yet feed my cravings!). I think moving the gear to the closet would be cool. Of course doing some great decorations and a better sound system will help. I'm still considering moving the sectional back and onto a riser and doing some bean bags or one comfy sofa in front of it.

Then up front I think I'll ditch the EC and do something else, maybe a real simple yet sleek stand type of deal. Maybe I could still do some sort of stage, false front but just with this smaller TV instead of a screen. I could also do the old screened in speakers trick, too.

I like this--I'm becoming more focused on my ideas. One day, yes, one day I too will have a thread that will have 1,000 posts and will have pictures of all this nice crap I bought and assembled and I'll look back and say "Finally, I did it too!" One day.....
post #14 of 20 Old 11-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

A friend showed me this device from Next Generation Home Products, replace a AA or AAA battery with their battery TX & now your IR remote is an RF remote. Maybe some one here has some experience with this product can chime in...

www.nextgenerationhomeproducts.com

http://estore.websitepros.com/1373698/Detail.bok?no=8

John
post #15 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 04:20 AM

I can vouch for those Next Generation Rf extenders. I picked one up a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake to hook up. I didn't have to program anything and just popped one of those batteries in the remote. Also Amazon has them for $33 out the door with free shipping fyi.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so today is a good day to get things going on upgrading and improving my media room.

I know this touches on the Blu Ray threads, but I've read there plenty. Just thought I would do a last minute check with you guys here. I'm thinking of picking up one of the first three BR players here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....getype=listing

Thoughts or experience with any?

I'm also going to need to upgrade my receiver finally! It's five years old and has no HDMI inputs or outputs This is clearly not going to be a top of the line media room, yet I want great sound, 7.1 on BR, 1080p passthrough, etc. All the normal good stuff on a medium level system.

So I'm looking at picking up one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1177717702185

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1201913281190

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR706...7877779&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-7-1-Chan...877904&sr=1-11

thoughts or experience with these?

What is it about this stupid day and wanting to buy crap?
post #17 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, the S-350 is the player to beat at the BF price; Sears is running it for $179.99, if there are any left. And Onkyo is always a "bang for the buck" favorite around here.

And by the way...I never prescribed anything for upgrade fever; by all means, buy new gear! Doctor's orders

CD (MD)

post #18 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Ok everyone, it's been a REAL good day. The new and improved media room is off and running.

Just got back from BB and picked up the Sony S-350. I had some gift cards and of course they had good discounts, so basically today I picked up the BR player, and 5 BRs (Hancock, KF Panda, Indy Jones, Vantage Point, Zohan) all for only $205 total.

AND...approval has been given to start looking into an upgrade for a receiver.

Gotta love Black Friday.

And PS...it's 80 and sunny outside
post #19 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

With the euphoria of yesterday's great day, concluded and completed by watching Kung Fu Panda on BR with my 2yo son, I am now excited to keep going.

I have been eyeing up the Onkyo TX-SR-705 for a receiver, as well as the Klipsch F-3 system.

Thoughts?

Again, this is not a professional theater, but I want quality stuff. Those also fit well in my price range and budget.

Will that receiver be able to switch and pass through 1080p the way I want it to with BR and my Dishnetwork and whatever else I get? Is it the right receiver for BR's 7.1 audio? My research here and elsewhere says yes, but someone tell me quick if I'm wrong!

Ok, off to watch another blue ray Is it bad that I bought 12 on ebay today?
post #20 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the euphoria of yesterday's great day, concluded and completed by watching Kung Fu Panda on BR with my 2yo son, I am now excited to keep going.

I have been eyeing up the Onkyo TX-SR-705 for a receiver, as well as the Klipsch F-3 system.

Thoughts?

Again, this is not a professional theater, but I want quality stuff. Those also fit well in my price range and budget.

Will that receiver be able to switch and pass through 1080p the way I want it to with BR and my Dishnetwork and whatever else I get? Is it the right receiver for BR's 7.1 audio? My research here and elsewhere says yes, but someone tell me quick if I'm wrong!

Ok, off to watch another blue ray Is it bad that I bought 12 on ebay today?

Phuebs, for your needs and price range, you can't go wrong with the Onkyo 705 (fyi, it's been replaced by the 706, which you should opt for, unless you're looking at the 705 because of its sale price on the way out). I am not familiar with the Klipsch F-3 system, but a quick web search reveals (2) F-3 floorstanders, a C-3 center, (2) S-3 Surrounds, and a 12" sub for just under $2500 msrp? Am I thinking of the right system?

If so, I'll give you my opinion of HT speaker systems, in that they're like those all-in-one cooksets you see (in a former life I was a chef); the company that makes the best saute pans, doesn't necessarily make the best sauce pans...and they always manage to stick you with that stockpot, when you'd be much better off buying one that's made for that purpose. IMO, Klipsch is a fine mid-fi maker and good pound-for-pound, bang-for-the-buck candidate; but looking at that system, I'd say the floorstanders and surrounds might be ok, but that center looks puny to me...and the sub is like the stockpot they stick you with.

Buy ala carte, and I think you'll get more performance for your money.

CD

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page