Lutron Maestro IR Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296

Couple of quick questions about this dimmer: my needs are pretty simple...2 "zones", a set of sconces in the HT, and a light for the stairwell; if I get 2 of these switches, can I operate them independently by any remote that has the codes? It looks like the IR sensor is in the switch, so does it have to be "line of sight" from the viewing area, or does it come with an extender...or do you have to otherwise look for an extender?

Thanks,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Couple of quick questions about this dimmer: my needs are pretty simple...2 "zones", a set of sconces in the HT, and a light for the stairwell; if I get 2 of these switches, can I operate them independently by any remote that has the codes? It looks like the IR sensor is in the switch, so does it have to be "line of sight" from the viewing area, or does it come with an extender...or do you have to otherwise look for an extender?

Thanks,
CD

I had one of these in my last theater and ran it with a harmony 880. It is all IR based so any remote that can learn the codes can run it. It is IR so line of sight is required.

I don't know what to expect with two of them. If they are in separate rooms, or at least not in the same line of sight, I would not expect any issues. If they were too close I would expect them both to react to the remote. Both go off, etc...

-HD
post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

I had one of these in my last theater and ran it with a harmony 880. It is all IR based so any remote that can learn the codes can run it. It is IR so line of sight is required.

I don't know what to expect with two of them. If they are in separate rooms, or at least not in the same line of sight, I would not expect any issues. If they were too close I would expect them both to react to the remote. Both go off, etc...

-HD

That's what I was afraid of. I'd want these to be down the stairs of my room, at the entrance, so no line of site...I'd need an easy way to do an extender. And my primary concern is being able to turn on one "zone"...specifically the single light to illuminate the stairs...without having to turn on the other "zone", the lighting in the HT.

Pretty simple set-up; can anyone suggest a simple, inexpensive solution...that is, if the Maestro IR isn't going to work.

Thanks,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

That's what I was afraid of. I'd want these to be down the stairs of my room, at the entrance, so no line of site...I'd need an easy way to do an extender. And my primary concern is being able to turn on one "zone"...specifically the single light to illuminate the stairs...without having to turn on the other "zone", the lighting in the HT.

Pretty simple set-up; can anyone suggest a simple, inexpensive solution...that is, if the Maestro IR isn't going to work.

Thanks,
CD

I have hear that the Insteon system can do what you are wanting. I have no experience with and need to research it too. I have two lights I want remote control of that are side by side and the Grafik Eye is overkill and too expensive for me.

I posted on another thread about Insteon and basically you need an IR receiver and then the individual dimmers. I am leaning that way. Once I get control of the theater, I figure I will want to expand from there.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So… I read the first several words of your post and got excited that I had a workable answer- then proceeded to stop reading and went on to spend 5 mins crafting my response (below). While this does not at all address your question (which of course I discovered upon re-reading your post again) - I figured I’d go ahead and add this anyway- in the event it’s useful to someone else using the ‘search’ function.

I've got two of these in my media room. One is on the screen wall - to the left of the screen- that controls sconces on each side of the screen. The other is on the wall just to the left of the seats - and controls two can lights just above the seats.

Both of mine use the same signal/codes (I believe they all use the same codes) so the IR remotes will work them both if in range. I also use an H880 to control my system. It works great with these switches also.

I did not want to control both lights at the same time - in fact I rarely use the lights on the screen wall. I found that by covering part of the IR sensor with a very small piece of black electrical tape, I was able to make it less sensitive such that I have to roughly aim the remote in it's direction in order to control the lights. I added a similar piece of tape to the switch next to the seats as well. Can't even really see the tape unless you look for it.

I've been setup this way for 2+ years now and it works exactly as I wanted- just like I had two diff sets of IR codes.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page