post #61 of 87 Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More door detail.:

Hall door to theater fitted.:

A few shots of the fabric install progress.:

Staining the column bases turned out to be another PITA. I made the mistake of using an all in one stain product. I was great to work with on horizontal surfaces but very difficult on vertical surfaces.:

Everything turned out fine after Dave took the based back to the cabinet shop and had them spray a catalytic clear coat over my stain job. The result looks like the woodwork has been here for a long time and shows its age. What started out as a problem has turned into a feature.:

Here is how I added the black GOM to the edge of the proscenium.:

One of the benefits of the Fabritrak system is mating two different fabrics at corners or seams.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow!! Thanks for so much detail. Great tips on DIY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 87 Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

Wow!! Thanks for so much detail. Great tips on DIY.

You are welcome. Please excuse the later photos. As the fabric went up, the camera did not work as well in lower light. Some are a little blurry but I did not know it until i downloaded them to my computer. It was too late to re-shoot parts that were already covered.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #64 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Adding trim to the proscenium.:

Test fit.:

Some trim installed.:

I modified a six panel pine door to add mass. We had a bunch of 1/4" plywood shims Dave made for hanging the drywall and shimming the riser and stage left over. On a lark, I tested one on a panel and it fit perfectly. So I filled in all the panels on the theater side of the door.:

I had to trim the length but the width was right. Here we attach the Fabritrak around the door.:

T closer view. I had to leave a reveal for the interior trim because the door opens into the theater and the hinge side is inches from the wall.:

Dave finishing the track install.:

Mask the track before spraying contact adhesive to hold a layer of MLV.:

Adding mass to the door.:

We will add Lineacoustic, fabric and some trim.:

Hang the door. BTW, it is heavy.:

We could have used about four more inches behind the door for an more elegant hidden door but did not plan for it.:

Add the trim.:

Finished doorway. Brass pull handle ordered. N.B. don't use a shiny door pull it reflects and is distracting. I am looking for an alternative.:

Here is the step detail with the step lights on.:

Hush box prepped for the projector. Trim install progressing. Had the halo lights on behind the crown molding for effect.:

I slid the front of the hush box in to show my cousin Sol how it worked. He tried to help and I accidentally slammed his finger in it. Luckily he was not permanently injured but he might not be too anxious to come visit next time .:

Next I will post my rack installation.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #65 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
the finger in the hushbox could also be seen as a warning to all those that want to touch the projector. I'd say ole Sol got off easy

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

In an effort to enhance "The suspension of disbelief" during a move, I elected to put the electronics outside of the theater. It is a little inconvenient to change DVDs and Cds but worth it for me. No noise, heat or lights to distract from the movie.

Installing the Middle Atlantic rack.:

Rack on the removable stand rails.:

Starting to populate the rack.:

I originally planed a taller rack but decided to cut it down to match the woodwork detail in the existing hallway. I ended up changing positions of some equipment after initial placement. That was not fun doing it alone.:

The top most unit is a variable speed, thermostatically controlled exhaust fan. When the heat reaches 85 degrees in the rack cabinet, the unit comes on and draws cool air from the vent at the bottom of the rack.:

Added a drawer for my remotes.:

That is basically the build. I have more pictures of some of the detail. If you have any questions or would like to see something, let me know.

I will get some pictures of the complete theater soon.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #67 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ah Ha! There's a blank spot in the rack...time to spend more money and fill it up.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #68 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

the finger in the hushbox could also be seen as a warning to all those that want to touch the projector. I'd say ole Sol got off easy

He did not think so at the time.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #69 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

Ah Ha! There's a blank spot in the rack...time to spend more money and fill it up.

You caught that eh?

Reserved for a Blu-ray and something one rack space high .

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #70 of 87 Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

It is 3 below zero and the wind is blowing the snow into high drifts outside our house. We just finished watching 88 minutes (it was great) and decided to post a few more pictures.

I skipped over the carpet installation so here it is. We selected a heavy pad and hardwood threshold.:

Black carpet for the stage and step.:

Dave putting the finishing touches on the side columns.:

I will post some more next week. If you have any questions let me know.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #71 of 87 Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I trust everyone had a Merry Christmas break.

Other than Strep throat, sump pump failure and my home theater controller defaulting to diagnostic mode in a continuous loop, ours was uneventful.

Here is some rack detail that I did not post earlier.:

This view shows the top fan and brush gasket.:

In addition to the gasket, I will install the screw cover strips when the rack is fully populated.:

Shot from the hall.:

From inside the theater.:

I will post a few more pictures later.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #72 of 87 Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
In the pictures I see a little of the white fabric track system peaking out. Like above the chair rail below the light controller. Is that how you leave it or did you do something to it? If I've missed that line somewhere in your excellent documentation, sorry.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #73 of 87 Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

In the pictures I see a little of the white fabric track system peaking out. Like above the chair rail below the light controller. Is that how you leave it or did you do something to it? If I've missed that line somewhere in your excellent documentation, sorry.

The Fabritrak comes in ivory, black and now green that is bio-degradable.

I chose to use a top loading (ivory) track for ease of installation. Top load track has a small reveal. Black track would have been a better choice if you occupied the room with normal room lighting. Since the theater is mostly dark, it is moot. There are also side loading tracks that the fabric completely covers.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #74 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I sent my processor in for repair January 2nd and it is due back Monday the 26th. Wow are we having movie withdrawal. We can't wait to get back in the theater!

Here are some pictures of the seat installation. Sorry they are dark but the fabric color sucks the light out of the room.:

And the screen wall.:

Hopefully I will have the processor installed and theater calibrated by Monday night.

I will post more pictures soon.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #75 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
First time I've seen pics of those extra guides applied to the front of the speakers. Can you elaborate on the theory/purpose and how you attached them.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #76 of 87 Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

First time I've seen pics of those extra guides applied to the front of the speakers. Can you elaborate on the theory/purpose and how you attached them.

The foam is OEM installed. Part of the design of the speakers. The outboard pieces of foam are in the grills so I had to get replacements from M&K (before they discontinued these speakers). They were self adhesive and I just stuck them on.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #77 of 87 Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Got a camera yesterday. Here are the "better" pictures I promised.:

We are watching a lot of movies.

Still looking for a Blu-Ray. Any suggestions?

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #78 of 87 Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Fantastic build so far. I have to say I love home theaters and all that goes in to them. BUT for the life of me, I cant figure out why people put so much time, effort and money into a stage? I would take all the time and money and put into better sound or accessories or a couple hundred movies or something..lol

Cant wait to see the finished product. ..By the way you really need a dslr to get some nice shots in that dark theater. They take better pics and you can correct them easier in ps to bring out the pic in dark shots. Use RAW..Its better...
post #79 of 87 Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Irv

I can't believe I have never seen your build thread Beautiful job

Scott

Current Photo's

post #80 of 87 Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
IN April the PS3 is dropping to 300$ Its one of the best BluRay players available. You will have to download an update but after you do ...its great.
post #81 of 87 Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

Fantastic build so far. I have to say I love home theaters and all that goes in to them. BUT for the life of me, I cant figure out why people put so much time, effort and money into a stage? I would take all the time and money and put into better sound or accessories or a couple hundred movies or something..lol

Cant wait to see the finished product. ..By the way you really need a dslr to get some nice shots in that dark theater. They take better pics and you can correct them easier in ps to bring out the pic in dark shots. Use RAW..Its better...

The stage is mostly for theater esthetic's and not terribly expensive. It also serves as a dampened base for your LCR speakers.

I'll check out the PS3.

Thanks for your suggestions and nice comments.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #82 of 87 Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Irv

I can't believe I have never seen your build thread Beautiful job

Thanks Scott, I appreciate that.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #83 of 87 Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Love the rack, and those seats look crazy sexy. Reminds me of a quote from Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock:

"I want to take them out behind the Jr. High and get them pregnant"

Jason

post #84 of 87 Old 05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Congrats on great build. Another thread I'm bookmarking smile.gif

What kind of speakers are those in your baffle wall ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #85 of 87 Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

The speakers are M & K MK500's

Now discontinued.

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
post #86 of 87 Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Glad I stumbled across this thread.

Were those baffles sized and constructed in a special way just for those speakers? That is, would you have made them smaller or larger or used different materials with some other in-wall speaker?

Build Thread:
post #87 of 87 Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

The baffle wall stays the same but the openings are sized to your speakers.

The Porcella installation guide has a great description of baffle wall construction on page 19. Check it out: http://www.procella.citymax.com/f/Procella_System_Design_&_Installation_v2.5_Web.pdf

Irv Kelman
We are THX Certified.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page