Is it possible to have a "dedicated" home theater in a family room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of now, I am desperately trying to convince my wife in relocating the plasma above the fireplace so I can free up space for the permanent screen. This leads me to a question. My wife said it would look weird having a theater type setting in the family room. We do spend the majority of the time there and I think it would look fabulous. What do you guys think about having a permanent screen with a masking system on a wall in your family room? I wish I had another place to put it but I don't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is where the fixed screen and masking system would go. I would relocate the a/v cabinet and plasma elsewhere in the room.

post #3 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Have you thought about a pulldown screen to use during movies and just keeping the flat panel in place for all other events? That approach is extremely high on the WAF factor.

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Have you thought about a pulldown screen to use during movies and just keeping the flat panel in place for all other events? That approach is extremely high on the WAF factor.

That's exactly how I have it now. It doesn't show up in the pic but I do have a pull down Dalite 106" screen that drops over the plasma. I really want a larger and permanent screen now.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic of the screen:

post #6 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How much larger are you looking to go? It looks like you're fairly close to the side wall in that pic.

Jason

post #7 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I am close to the wall. I am able to fit a 125" screen in that wall. The extra 19" really makes a huge difference. I would love to build some sort of platform ( i forget the technical name for this) and place it in front of the permanent screen and use the Carada automatic masking system with it. Is that too much to ask? Obviously, the wife thinks so.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Proscenium

You may have to move to plan b. Buy the wife lots and lots of stuff. It may take time, but she'll come around.

Jason

post #9 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Proscenium

You may have to move to plan b. Buy the wife lots and lots of stuff. It may take time, but she'll come around.

Ahh yes! That's the term. Thanks mn_hokie! Btw, how do you like your Panny 3000? I have the 900 and I am definitely upgrading soon.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're wanting to move the flat panel, are you going to do an independent set of speakers for it? Are you going to leave your speakers set up for the screen? If you'd like to use your speaker system for both display devices, I'd imagine you'd want to stick with the pull down method.

I'm assuming that the fireplace you want to mount to is in the same room. If I'm wrong, then disregard this.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis2x View Post

If you're wanting to move the flat panel, are you going to do an independent set of speakers for it? Are you going to leave your speakers set up for the screen? If you'd like to use your speaker system for both display devices, I'd imagine you'd want to stick with the pull down method.

I'm assuming that the fireplace you want to mount to is in the same room. If I'm wrong, then disregard this.

Yes, the fireplace is in the same room so I would use the speaker that the plasma came with. I would use the existing B&W's solely for the pj.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

My $0.02: I hate to do it, but I kinda have to side with your wife on this one. Would seem a bit odd to me to have a dedicated screen wall setup in a room like that with a plasma on a different wall. Maybe you can find a bigger drop down screen? Stewart has some great in-wall products, but they are $$$. Good luck.

-------------------------

post #13 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Biggest mistake people make with rooms/space in their home is naming it - Family Room or Dining Room or whatever - IMO - only kitchens and bathroom can and should be named - once you lose the name it becomes just space and you can use it for whatever you care to.

Our relatively small home came with an open floor plan that included a "living room" area and a "dining area". Over the 20 years we have lived here seldom has any of that space been used as tradition and room name would suggest.

One side of our the "living area" has the 56in TV and across the other way of the room the projector is shelf mounted and the screen is this big gray fixed thing on the wall - she agreed we could cover a double window with the screen - who cares what it looks like being there all the time?? When the lights go down and the big screen lights up we are "at the movies!!"

When it's time for television we have that little but nice TV.

"Dining Area"?? For 9 years it had a pool table, bar and shuffle alley bowling game - eating? Done at the kitchen counter or sitting in the big comfy bar chairs. Now the pool table and shuffle are gone allowing the bar to face the big screens with four pinball games, foosball and arcade quality coin-op dart machine.

We really felt like we had been set free once we realized that interior space can and should be used creatively to make our home customized for our comfort - not to meet some societal/tribal suburban tradition.

Sorry to rattle on so - pull the tv off the wall and get that big screen mounted - fixed or pull down or electric - main thing is graduate from television which cannot achieve Theater in the Home to the projector and screen.
Enjoy Your Space!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for your opinions. Imjay, I am with you 100%. We have a large living/dining room in our house that we NEVER use. I have used it maybe 5 times over the past 5 years. It really is a waste of space. My wife likes to decorate rooms and her room that she is most of proud of is that particular room. I think it's either time for a new house or a new wife. For some reason, I think the house would be cheaper!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page