post #181 of 4472 Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

My GOM fr701 came today, well part of it atleast.

I ordered from FabricMate, and I'm not too pleased with them. First check out their ad:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...earch&aq=f&oq=

Well I ordered from them on 1/27/08 and I just got it today and it says "3 Day Shipping" on the package. So obviously they had some misleading advertising going on there. When I emailed them about it, they never responded. Finally I had to call them and they said it will ship soon, then put me on hold and said it shipped yesterday (this was Monday).

Anyway, I ordered 3 yards to see how it looked when it arrived knowing I'd be ordering more. Well it came to like $43 so I was ok with it, but they don't tell you shipping on their site, they "notify you" later. So on my invoice it came to be almost $80 after shipping.

Anyway, seeing as how I need more, I placed an order for 8 additional yards from GIK and for all 8 yards, shipped it's gonna be $120. That's $15 per yard vs $26 per yard at FabricMate. So hopefully the experience with him will be better than FM's. Anyway, just wanted to update anyone looking for GOM on what to expect..

Today I got the order from GIK. It took 3 days from the order date to having in my hand. So much better than Fabricmate (and cheaper!). I know who I'll be ordering my next batch from

Also my SMX came!!! 150" wide 2:35 CineWeave

Thanks Jason, Ruben and Ray!! SMX has been amazing to deal with so far.

Man this box is huge - 14' feet long! And it came on freight tractor trailer. He called me at the end of my driveway and said, uhh I can't get up there. So I walked down and he said I guess I'll help you carry it up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4472 Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Theme song for your build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMsKPeWAsw
post #183 of 4472 Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Theme song for your build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMsKPeWAsw

One more update on the SVS. I watched Bangkok Dangerous on blu ray today and it's probably not the best bass movie out there, the SVS was just unbelievable. It filled the entire room with bass, yet didn't sound boomy. I'm really happy with it.

post #184 of 4472 Old 02-12-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

T
Also my SMX came!!! 150" wide 2:35 CineWeave

Thanks Jason, Ruben and Ray!! SMX has been amazing to deal with so far.

That's a familiar looking box! Yes, I was duly impressed with the packaging. You're going to laugh but I kept those black velvet wrapped mdf L brackets. I plan on hanging them up in the garage to throw some tools/shovels/junk on.
post #185 of 4472 Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where did you find the original "inspiration picture"? Was it on this forum?
post #186 of 4472 Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitten by HT View Post

Where did you find the original "inspiration picture"? Was it on this forum?

No, not on this forum. It was taken by the photographer: landmarkphotodesign.com that my old builder uses: www.sebernhomes.com

I just found it on his website and loved it

post #187 of 4472 Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A couple more changes, I can't help myself This is it though, I'm done for a while!

I changed amps, I got an Anthem MCA50 instead of the B&K. I like it's match and power better for my Paradigms (seeing as it's made by Paradigm it makes sense ).

And then I picked up a pair of ADP-590 to replace my atoms surrounds. I still have the atoms for the rears, I know I should upgrade those too, but I'm content for now.

I watched about 30 minutes of Max Payne on Blu Ray tonight (I cant wait for the 2:35 screen!) and with the new amp, the SVS and the new surrounds I am in love with my new equipment!

Kinda funny, I replaced all the equipment that I originally had when I started this thread. But thousands of dollars later I think I've got a much better system, better sub, better speakers, better projector, better amp, and definitely a better and bigger screen

post #188 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I think I have a disease. I couldn't help myself today but wonder what the studio 100's would be like compared to my 40's and cc center. So I went in and tried out the new 100's v5's and I was in awe with the amount of bass and clarity. It seems when I played rock type of songs, my 40's sounded a little muffled by themselves with nothing to compare it to, and when compared to the 100's it was night and day difference. My studio 40's are awesome don't get me wrong, but the 100's are better to me.

So I bought 3 new Studio 100's to use as my new LCR

I think having the same speaker across the front behind the screen is gonna be awesome. The only downside is I made the speaker stands for nothing

Now I'm done upgrading!!!

post #189 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

There is no known cure.
post #190 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no known cure.

Except to stay off of the forum and never step foot into your dealer again, or any friend that has a setup better than your own .
post #191 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no known cure.

That's what I'm afraid of

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Except to stay off of the forum and never step foot into your dealer again, or any friend that has a setup better than your own .

Luckily, I don't think any of my friends/neighbors etc will have as awesome as a system as the one I'm gonna have. I'll have to show it off when it's done

Once again its because of this forum (thanks for everyone's help so far) that I have the system I do, otherwise I'd still have a small 16:9 screen, a dim projector and some less than stellar speakers stuck in recessed cavities

post #192 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I bought 3 new Studio 100's to use as my new LCR

Very nice Shawn! We actually demo'd these early on in our build and really liked them. We initially chose the B&Ws over them only because the cabinetry looked nicer (this was when the build had the speakers freestanding in front of a fixed screen ). But we've got Monitor 11s in our family room and have always been impressed with the bang for your buck on Paradigms. And those 100s look absolutely sweet without the grilles (not that it matters behind your AT screen but YOU know so that's all that counts ).
post #193 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I saw you too had three identical speakers behind the screen so I had to copy you again!! Kind of funny how we both changed from a fixed 16:9 screen to a SMX Scope..must be BIG's fault

Yes I love how they look and how they sound. Luckily now I'm maxed out on the studio line and don't want to venture into the signature line so hopefully I won't spend any more money.

post #194 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I saw you too had three identical speakers behind the screen so I had to copy you again!! Kind of funny how we both changed from a fixed 16:9 screen to a SMX Scope..must be BIG's fault

Yes I love how they look and how they sound. Luckily now I'm maxed out on the studio line and don't want to venture into the signature line so hopefully I won't spend any more money.

I feel compelled to point out, however, that my third speaker is specifically designed as a center channel but it looks just like the L and R speakers. Maybe check out the Paradigm thread to inquire whether the Studio CC590 or 690 (even though they're horizontal) would be more appropriate for your build. Or maybe you already did that? I don't mean to cause worry but I also don't want my build to mislead you either.
post #195 of 4472 Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

I feel compelled to point out, however, that my third speaker is specifically designed as a center channel but it looks just like the L and R speakers. Maybe check out the Paradigm thread to inquire whether the Studio CC590 or 690 (even though they're horizontal) would be more appropriate for your build. Or maybe you already did that? I don't mean to cause worry but I also don't want my build to mislead you either.

I was just kidding But I did think it was the same, it looks it atleast. You didn't mislead me!!

As for my paradigms, from almost everyone I've asked and my research has told me identical vertical speakers up front is the utmost ideal situation, but not usually possible since the center would be in the middle of the screen, which isn't an issue with the smx

post #196 of 4472 Old 02-16-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I got the exhaust fan for the rack! Thanks Big

This thing is pretty big and the grill is white, I guess I'm gonna try to spray paint it black before they install it.

post #197 of 4472 Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also just picked up my first blu ray movies. I usually rent, but figured I should have atleast a few in my collection. I only got the ones on sale that I liked, they were about $15 each at Best Buy. Paying $30-$40 for ones not on sale seemed crazy to me.

I can't wait to watch Black Hawk Down with the volume cranked

I plan to get quite a few of the reference quality ones from the PQ & AQ threads!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=918734

post #198 of 4472 Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Another thread I missed!

Your theater is looking great. I'll echo the cool door comments, and I think you'll be very happy with the changes you've made so far. I'm glad to see another Illinois theater as well (when is the first home theater meet! )

Looking forward to the final pics, when is your estimated completion?

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #199 of 4472 Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Warren! Glad to see another Illinois member too, I haven't seen too many. We'll have to have a meet in the summer time

ETA is supposed to be about the first week of March. I say supposed to be because it changes all the time. All because our interior doors are delayed.

But good news is the painters are coming tomorrow to start prep work (filling nail holes, caulking joints etc) and doors should be coming late this week or early next. Then about 10 days from there for painting, electric trim and carpet then and I can start my install

It should only take me a day to install it all, not including the gom panels for the screen wall which hopefully I can build before then. After the install though I'll have my plate full with the acoustics

post #200 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

not including the GOM panels for the screen wall which hopefully I can build before then.

I actually had my screen wall competed many months before I installed the carpet (in fact I think we watched movies for over a year with a concrete floor). I just used 1/2 inch scraps of wood as proxies for the carpet and pad. However the panels fit a little more snug then I planed so maybe 9/16 or 5/8 is the correct size depending on choice of carpet and pad.
post #201 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, that's a good point. My carpet should be going in about 2 days after painting's done so I guess I won't have much time to do it beforehand. I do plan to make them all and hang them with the screen and then make adjustments if necessary and then paint the frames and cover them in GOM.

But then last night I thought maybe it would be better to just hang the screen once the carpets in and start watching some movies and see how the screen height placement feels first before building the top and bottom panels. But if I start watching movies will I ever get it done?

post #202 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

No all work stops. But you should do a height test with seating in place.
post #203 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good news the doors are coming tomorrow

About two more weeks and I'll have a theater!!!

post #204 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Shawnwalters:
Very nice build, can’t wait to see the finished room.
I have a question about the size of screen you have. I see that your screen is close to the walls, is it a distraction being that close?
My room is 125” wide so I was think of putting a 120” wide SMX screen on a false wall just not sure if being that close to the wall is going to look good.

Hey are those 100’s black? If so could you post some side shots? I would like to see the new finish.
I have the 100’s v4 and have been considering selling and getting the new ones.
post #205 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I copied BIG's build and am planning to wrap the front wall ceiling before the soffit and the two side walls up till the first column in GOM if the light reflects off the black paint. I have about 6" on each side of the screen (about 9" with the frame) so it does come pretty close to the side walls. I guess I'll find out how it looks when it's installed!

Yes they're black v5's. They're awesome!! I almost don't want to hide them behind the screen. I'll take some more shots and post them soon.

post #206 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleto View Post

Shawnwalters:
Hey are those 100’s black? If so could you post some side shots? I would like to see the new finish.
I have the 100’s v4 and have been considering selling and getting the new ones.

Here's some more pics, they look so great without the grills and paradigm even says to use them with or without grills (normally they say leave grills on). I'm of course going to leave the grills off behind the screen.

And the non parallel box is supposed to cut down on standing waves etc.

PS, they weigh like 90lbs each or so, which isn't a bad thing, except when you have to move them

I also picked up a new blu ray

post #207 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM

I love those speakers, I wouldn't want to hide those babies behind a screen Your room is going to look and sound great. Subscribed!
post #208 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Thanks Warren! Glad to see another Illinois member too, I haven't seen too many. We'll have to have a meet in the summer time

ETA is supposed to be about the first week of March. I say supposed to be because it changes all the time. All because our interior doors are delayed.

But good news is the painters are coming tomorrow to start prep work (filling nail holes, caulking joints etc) and doors should be coming late this week or early next. Then about 10 days from there for painting, electric trim and carpet then and I can start my install

It should only take me a day to install it all, not including the gom panels for the screen wall which hopefully I can build before then. After the install though I'll have my plate full with the acoustics

Hopefully the Illinois group will start to take off this year. There is a meet coming up soon, here is the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1096878 You can contact Zamboniman for the info, it would be great for another atendee!

ETA first of March, wow! I'm either starting a new one in March, and hope to be done in August of 2010, or we are going to build an addition and it will go in there, in which case it will be, um... longer.

Keep the pics going!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #209 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the pictures
I like the looks better then the version 4's I have. Might have to sell mine.
It's ashame to hide them behind the screen.
post #210 of 4472 Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediscexchange View Post

I love those speakers, I wouldn't want to hide those babies behind a screen Your room is going to look and sound great. Subscribed!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Hopefully the Illinois group will start to take off this year. There is a meet coming up soon, here is the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1096878 You can contact Zamboniman for the info, it would be great for another atendee!

ETA first of March, wow! I'm either starting a new one in March, and hope to be done in August of 2010, or we are going to build an addition and it will go in there, in which case it will be, um... longer.

Keep the pics going!

You were serious - There really is a meet! Pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleto View Post

Thanks for the pictures
I like the looks better then the version 4's I have. Might have to sell mine.
It's ashame to hide them behind the screen.

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping (with an emphasis on hope) that the light behind the screen works like I want it to and then I can at least see them every now and then by hitting a switch.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page