Home Theatre 3D Stereoscopic Projection + DIY Silver Screen for 3D - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it won't let me post links since I'm new here, but what about something like the Optoma 3D-XL Converter Box? From what I can understand, it takes the 3D signal from your PS3, Satelite, Computer, what ever, and processes the signal to two projectors for passive 3D. A little expensive, and not in stock, apparently, but a much better idea than messing around with software on your computer and only being able to use your computer for it.
Please excuse me, and correct me, if I'm wrong. This would be the perfect solution for everyone though.

EDIT: My mistake. It's just a crappy switcher box that lets you sync shutter glasses. Dammit, got my hopes up. Something like what I thought would be ideal though. A little box that takes in an input and splits to the two projectors. That way we can use it with the PS3 and any other input device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You can use two 3DXLs to split an HDMI 1.4 3D signal into two 1.3 signals.

It's twice as expensive, but it works.
post #63 of 72 Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM

I don't need the signals to go to 1.3, I'm looking for a box that will act like a 3D TV where it will take the 3D signal from what ever source and send it to the two projectors to display right and left. The two projector 3D set up is really easy, but only good for computers. I want to be able to use it for all sources.
post #64 of 72 Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Right. You can use two 3DXLs to split an HDMI 1.4 3D signal into two 1.3 signals (AKA Left and Right).

Two of these devices do what you want.

Although I wouldn't call the two projector set-up "very easy".

Have you checked out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280393
post #65 of 72 Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM

Ok so I was hoping that this device would do like other forum members mentioned and it does not split it into the left and right signal. It only takes the 1.4 signal and downconverts it for the 1.3 projectors so that the older Optoma 120Hz 3D DLP projectors can be used for 3D content. Still not helpful. Here's the link.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_1518.htm

And here's the back side picture of it. http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectordet...nment&PC=3D-XL
And besides, it's still 720p. It's basically a large HDMI switch for your older Optoma 120Hz projector. Quite sad really that no one realizes the huge potential of the product they could sell if it did what we need it to do. Guess I'll still have to keep ripping the left and right images and use stereoscopic player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #66 of 72 Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

You're all on crazy sauce. Yes, you can use one to convert to the older 3D display methods (in 720p), or you can isolate just the left or just the right image (in 1080p24hz). So, if you use a splitter and 2 3DXLs, you can split the HDMI 1.4 3D signal into two separate (1.3) left and right HDMI signals.
post #67 of 72 Old 08-19-2011, 09:43 AM

im goin to save u all alot of regret
ive experimented on all the 3d
the best is stick to a active glass single 3 d projector a bit dark but best pop out effect and easiest compatibility
if u wanna go dual projector use the dolby lenses as infiltec lenses
colour correction with a dual hdmi input radeon graphic card same price
as a hdmi splitter! the put on ur dolby glasses n ur good to go
always use a white screen or wall for todays projectors
never go silver screen with polarized glasses my biggest regret
now i have to sell my 3.2x2metre silverscreen baught for 700 us
the image is horribly dark and every bloody thing is grey , grey white , grey yellow, grey pink , grey grey grey ugly crap
im selling my linear polarised glasses n silver screen for 700 us.
go lelong.com to buy type silver screen . maybe u have a super bright projector or the new lg polarised type projector it may suit u but i certainly hate it amongst the rest
post #68 of 72 Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 PM

hi
post #69 of 72 Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Hi All, First post on the forum, it's amazing how many of us have had similar experiences.

I too after much experimentation am at the stage where I need to find the perfect material for my screen.

I played with tin foil, then tried the silver metal paint on the back of a large mirror, both with very pleasing results, but I wanted it big.

I have high ceilings and can easily accommodate a 2m x 3m screen, but live in a smallish flat so need to be able to put my screen away.

I have tried everything I can get sent (free or charged for) and have also spent around £40 on samples, from sheeting used in greenhouses to reflect light onto plants and obviously clothes fabrics to material used in west end style stage drops. my most successful material is a silver matt lame stage drop fabric which I favour most because unlike the others I would not need a join for a large screen and I find that any imperfection in the screen totally detracts from the experience (like a dirty pane of glass in the middle of someone's head) however although the depth of the 3D and the distance of the sticky out bits is far greater than on other tests, this material still reflects too much light and a noticeable quality loss is sustained.

My projectors are non-identical and both cost under £150 on eBay as used items. Although I have to have one projector sitting a foot in front of the other I can get great alignment within a minute of tinkering. I am using reald glasses lenses (rotated). A very unpretty setup but super cheap.

I have made a frame from black hard plastic electrical ducting which connects with nice little connectors, it looks well made but only cost about £25 and the 3m sections can be separated in the middle, the 4 1.5m sections then can be placed in a 2m cloth tube bag along with the 2m sections rolled into the screen material. The whole thing can hang from two ducting clips attached near my ceiling line.

Frustrated with my own slow progress, I have also purchased a pair of 3dmagic (i-art) pci wired LCD shutter glasses from way back in the day, for £1 and using a trick to enable nvidia3d vision without a 3dvision I can now also play games and watch movies (just about) on my 85hz dlp projector, (pretty cool when you think about it , projector £150, glasses £1 + any wall £free) not mentioning my badass pc. But 85 Hz is too low for long term use and the light loss on shutter glasses is too noticeable, plus I want my friends and family to be able to use their own reald glasses.

also I have a Blackmagic Intensity (about £100) which has real-time 1080p HDMI and RGB capture so I can plug in Xbox, PlayStation, Blu-ray etc. and then using the Blackmagic as a video source for Stereoscopic Player I can play 3D from any external source, if you just want RGB you can get a usb RGB capture device for about £30 on eBay.

so I just need my perfect screen material, something on a 2m or wider roll, and/or advice on how to improve the material I have but retain the ability to roll it away.

Thanks. Nick.
post #70 of 72 Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm working on a new stereoscopic 3D website, at the moment this is the temporary website to get the best deals 3D products from movies to tv's. click ---> 3d movies

Great deals on 3D movies and 3dtv's, click this link --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #71 of 72 Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Very nice story, I will finish my setting in 2 weeks, Thanks!

Check this out, good sw!
http://www.biohemmet.se/
post #72 of 72 Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 AM

Thanks for sharing the very useful information. I would like to build a 'pc-less' system for projecting photos with 2 slide projectors. I found out that there are some slide projectors with the required amount of lumen. However, a typical slide projector does not have H-Shift and V-Shift capabilities. Would such a slide projector still be useful for 3D projection? Will stacking these projectors and some tilting be enough?

EDIT: Canceled this plan, now making low cost digital system using 2 LCD screens and half-silvered mirror.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page