AVS Forum banner

On-wall conduit?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  queendvd2 
#1 ·
I have an existing finished room that I'm trying to turn into a theater. I want to ceiling mount the projector. What do most people do?

Assuming I don't want to go inside the wall, is there an easy way to run the wire on the outside of ceiling / wall? Obviously it will be visible, but I can live with that. Is there something that I can buy that's easy to mount to the ceiling, that I can run cables through? I will need to run an HDMI cable, a component cable, and power.

Thanks!

Mike

#4 ·
Are you talking about Raceway products?

Is this (or a similar brand) something I can pick up in Home Depot? Can it be attached to the ceiling too?

#5 ·
I just found this:
http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=405

I guess those are 2-piece raceways, so you can pop them out and put in new cables later? And they already have adhesive attached, so you just glue them to your wall / ceiling?

Seems pretty easy...

Another question - is it better to get metal or non-metal raceways? I imagine non-metal?

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMike /forum/post/15529310

i'd run wiremold. just make sure the power and signal cables are ran in different wireways or seperated by a divider.

I'm just curious, why do you say that? Does one interfere with the other?

I'm looking to run a power cable, coax and possibly a Wii power cable through one raceway. Would I need one with a divider, too?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflaster /forum/post/15529051

Assuming I don't want to go inside the wall

Why? are you renting? is the ceiling concrete?

The techniques aren't much different than installing a ceiling fan.

We can walk you through it.

#9 ·
So what I ended up doing was hiring a guy that ran the wires for the projector through the ceiling. That's definitely something I wouldn't want to do myself...
He had to punch a bunch of holes in the ceiling, as it's a vaulted ceiling with no attic.

For speaker wires to the front of the room, well, I took the high tech solution of just putting them on the ground by the wall.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflaster /forum/post/15923987

So what I ended up doing was hiring a guy that ran the wires for the projector through the ceiling. That's definitely something I wouldn't want to do myself...
He had to punch a bunch of holes in the ceiling, as it's a vaulted ceiling with no attic.

For speaker wires to the front of the room, well, I took the high tech solution of just putting them on the ground by the wall.

You can just get use some trim work on the floor to hide the wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.